Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Heck yeah, heck yeah!
So happy this is here. Definitely hyped to see you put your touch on this like you did for LobCorp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
I look forward to voting for [REDACTED] immediately when it becomes available.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Quackles posted:

I think I touched on this a little upthread, but arguably the debate over whether Angela did anything wrong or not misses the point of what to be moral is about. Ultimately, morality is about the actions you take out in the world.

To extend that, the question then becomes not "did Angela do anything wrong," but "what can Angela do to fix the harm she caused by her action?"

TLDR: Angela still owes the world four more days of Light

I'd argue three days, then four days might not have the same effect as just seven days at once?

That being said, Angela doesn't owe the world anything. It's not like they did anything for her she needs to repay.
Sure, the moral course of action would be to give them what she made sure they wouldn't be given, but I wouldn't say she has any responsibility to do so other than the general "You have power, you have a responsibility to make a positive difference in the world" thing.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Mecha_Face posted:

This is debatable, I think. Did the distortions happen because the light was taken away, or did they happen because the light was there at all? Again, the light was created through the use of terrible abominations, and light is not necessarily good because it makes people feel good. Lots of things make people feel good that have negative consequences for being exposed to them. Maybe LoR will give answers to this.

It's both, isn't it? The three days of light and four days of darkness happened, then the distortions started appearing. You needed the dark days, and those couldn't have come about without both the light shining and Angela taking it away.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

threelemmings posted:

It's been a year or so but it's based on the order you set the pages. If I remember right the last valid page you set is the one that clashes. So if an enemy has a speed 6 (and is aiming at someone else), and you aim a 9,6,6,4 at them the second 6 will clash, the 9 and others are free hits. If the faster attacks stagger the 6 will become a free hit too. If go in order of 4,6,6,9, the 9 clashes.

It's not explained well but it's pretty simple to learn after you experiment a bit by setting up attacks in different orders.

The rule is correct, the example isn't. You can only redirect someone with a speed roll *above* theirs, so the 9 is the only one that can redirect the opponent's 6 in that example, which means it will always be the one that Clashes.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

MiiNiPaa posted:

Err... Am I eligible for unemployment benefits for that?

Unemployment benefits? In the City?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Maybe it's just a personal game philosophy thing, but I always found winning Clashes (Or reducing the damage with Block dice, if winning was too unlikely), was the most important thing to worry about. So high power, lower cost? Heck yeah, Struggle's great. Not really the page to use against a Staggered opponent, but that's why you've got 9 cards in your deck.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

So a lot of the Fixers never mention their Grade in-game. Like, Yun mentioned that Eri's a Grade 8 now, but his Grade didn't get talked about.
The artbook has the Grades of all the actual Fixers that show up, even if that's never said in game.

Since I have that, should I post their info after people get booked without that being mentioned? Not sure if anyone but me's interested in comparative numbers, or if posting things out of a separate product would be a generally bad thing to do.

It also has age, likes, dislikes, hobbies, etc, but I feel like posting that much is almost definitely unethical.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 6, 2021

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

What is a 'Mizu'? :confused:
I think it's a kind of shared delusion? One everyone with an organic brain seems to have.
Brains're really, really weird.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

I know from the Distorian Detective that some corps make their own laws for their districts. Like, one had a "Don't record anything, no exceptions" law.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

drat, exceptionally impressed by all the detail you're adding with battle conversations. I was worried that the gameplay wouldn't be particularly interesting to me, but nope! This may've been my favorite update so far. Still though, kinda scared of how much work later battles are gonna be for you.

In terms of cards, as TeeQueue said, Commanding is the real prize. That first 4-8 is great, and I used it for a long time. Plus, learning about the emotion system, it's even more valuable than I thought because the second two dice are 3-4s, so they'll always give a min or max emotion coin if rolled. That kinda thing gets a Librarian to level 2 quick. Yun's page is pretty good too though, especially for now. It may only activate half the time, but +3 to max value's real notable at this stage of the game.

Also, as it's never mentioned, Yun is also a Grade 8, like Eri. Even if they're not visibly obvious, he's probably got augments of his own. After all, you see him fighting with his bare hands, but he's on the same general level as Eri with her chainsword.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 10, 2021

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Finn might not have died anyways if he kept to finding cats, but he definitely wasn't ready for dangerous jobs as he was. Not like anyone's doomed till they die, but I don't think he was likely to go very far like that.
Just a question on how long he could've kept doing cat-finding jobs, whether he would've gotten attacked by someone over his paygrade, or if he would've eventually given in and gotten augmentations.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

was I the only person to notice her floor’s background has her ducky pen in it

Ooh, where?!

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Maybe my eyes are busted, I just cannot see.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Well, the artbook has full backgrounds of all the floor backgrounds~!
It also has spoilers out the wazoo considering it has everything in the game in it, but it has them.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

JeffRaze posted:

That's sort of where I am though not as far in, I really can't stand feeling like I've lost progress. I'll probably get back to it at some point, or just say screw it and download an infinite copies of the books you own mod.

Can you even do that anymore? I thought Basemods was dead.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Yinlock posted:

Kind of important to note that the brotherhood's bodies were explicitly stated to be total crap. It's not like they gained super-strength or anything, the only real advantages they had were being tougher and immune to physical fatigue.

e: which are significant advantages mind you, but I wouldn't put them at super killbot levels

There's also the electricity and junk.

Electrified chainsword too, plus the strength to use something like that. I wouldn't put them at super killbot level, but still mildly superhuman.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 23, 2021

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Materant posted:

Superhuman by our standards, mind. This is still a world where you can ditch your body for any number of vague reasons and get a shiny new (obviously not human and of vaguely defined upper limits) bod, and there's likely stuff out there on par with or even exceeding something like this.

Honestly, I'd say they were fools to do this. Sure, you don't have to eat, you don't get tired and you don't feel pain (at least in these crapshack hackjobs) but you apparently need brain fluid and you definitely need repairs, and those probably well exceed what you'd spend on food.

Absolutely, 100%. By the standards of the City, these bodies, while dangerous in our sense, are low-quality and near the bottom of the totem pole.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Grade is not always a matter of power. Those guys from the Hook Office were all Grade 9 (iirc) and they could wipe the floor with Grade 8 fixers like Eri or Yun. But they've only been employed as Fixers for a very short time so they haven't had time to advance up the ranks.

Yup. The guy with the higher-rarity Key Page was Grade 8 instead, but you're completely right other than that.
I'd guess the tendency to rampage and kill more than they have to would be another reason they're ranked more lowly?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

yyyikes, that's just a really bad situation. Your neighborhood's being menaced freely by killers? Sure, hire Fixers to protect you.
But that costs money than your entire neighborhood can raise up, more than everything you have.
Even going and hiring a Syndicate of your own, because you can probably baarely afford it... Well, what happens when you hire people to go after those with more money than you? They just pay them more.
And for the crime of trying to avoid death, you're gutted, decapitated, and set to hang with near-magical tech keeping you in pain and alive, as an example.

Just another day in the City, I suppose.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

Do Offices have grades as well?

Essentially. The requests sent out by the Associations are graded, too.

Fun fact! Yun's Office is apparently a Grade 7 Office, despite only seeming to have two Grade 8 Fixers and a bunch of Grade 9s.
I don't believe the artbook gives the Grade of other offices, unless I forgot.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

They have some good Credenza entries, though. It's not as good as actual main story stuff sure, but Credenza stuff is always good to get as much of as possible.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Fervent Beats can be pretty good at when it comes though. If someone's low health, they'd probably die anyways if four more turns pass, so just make them an invincible monster, and they won't even die earlier than usual.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

A block die isn't a danger unless there's offensive dice past it. But on the other hand, I can only think of like one page that's only block, so you should probably clash with it anyways, in order to clash with the dice behind it?
And besides, Block v Block has the same effect for you as it does for your enemies. If they lose the Clash, they're taking the full value in stagger damage.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

I guess that makes the Pianist about Silent Orchestra level, maybe a bit weaker, then? Since I'm pretty sure the Silent Orchestra counts as a weaker Aleph.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Angela doesn't owe the City anything, and the City doesn't owe Angela anything.
But people just... taking everything for themselves because they don't owe anyone else anything's kind of a problem, you think?
That line of thinking's the kind of thing that leads to people getting murked in the Backstreets because hey, the Zwei don't owe them anything if they can't pay them.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

NullBlack posted:

but she didn't do anything? Hokma did everything in that example; Anastasia was just a victim.
If we're voting on new Librarians, my votes' for these two:

They actually dealt the finishing blow to an ordeal.

...but we've still got a number of Agents to go through first, before we reach that point.

For when we run out of Agents, wouldn't some guests be a good idea? I mean, Angela got the current assistant librarians all out from books they were sharing with the Abnormalities, why wouldn't she be able to do that to the guests?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Oh, it goes real fast in-game. It's what, five minutes for Zwei 1, ten for Zwei 2, ten for Zwei 3?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

You can't ignore Full-Stop to Life's 1 Feeble, either. -1 Power to all offensive dice next turn can be pretty good, and it's on a page with two heavy Slash rolls.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Honestly, knowing the fight we're 100% sending Teequeue into, I'm not actually sure how he'd win it at this point. Maybe he should just... demonstrate then back the heck off?
I say as I vote for it.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

I'd argue Head to Head isn't bad 1 Bleed isn't much, and the rolls are notably good and both Slash.
But then, Full-Stop to Life is just... The same rolls except the min's lower on one of them, it has no self-bleed, and it puts up a Feeble instead of Bleed. Unless you're doing big Bleed, it's probably gonna be better for you.

Also, yeah, the two big Rusted Chain pages are goooood if you don't mind hurting yourself. You're gonna want some regen like Jack's passive, the passive from the Zwei Fixer page, etc to keep from burning out too fast, though. I'd only run one Now Die in the deck for now.

Huh, though. Never really used Flip the Table before. Might want to now, that's a pretty good point about meshing with Yesod's floor.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Ah, I see what you mean. The main problem with that is that Sakura never, ever works even if you had a big hand, because for some reason it increases the minimum value instead of the maximum value or power, so you don't actually get anything worthwhile out of playing into it. Why they did it like this, I genuinely do not understand.

Yeah, it's... not great. I'd argue increasing the maximum value would also be bad, though. It really really just needed to be a Power increase. 5-10, 5-10, 5-9 would be a pretty decent place for it to be. Actually maybe a little low since you need at least 4 non-Sakura pages in your hand to get it. (5 if you want to play a second page)

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Keldulas posted:

My main take-away is that we’re going to be seeing some major Olga carry in the next fight. She’s going to be generating 3 cards and light a turn when no other deck even has access to light restore or card draw.

Not true! There's two pages with Light restoration, at least. Wait Up and Loosen Up are both 0 costers that restore 1 Light.

That being said, yeah, an Olga carry seems pretty likely. Jikan stuff'll put in work while he's got cards, though.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Amidiri posted:

I know The City is a nightmare capitalist dystopia, but god I wish that were real in our world.

It's probably powered by human sacrifice somehow, though.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

aaaaaaa
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I have played through this part of the game so many times, and I never realized that that first page not doing damage staggers them right away! I thought it did it on the end of the Scene so I had to block both pages they use!
I have been making this so much harder for myself than I had to aaaaagh

Also, minor epiphany over, Rhythm is still good. You can vouch for Violence all you like, but since it lowers consistency, it gives more opportunities for you to get unlucky. I'd rather get just +1 to the result than a chance for it to be much better and a chance to be much worse.

This isn't taking into account Rhythm's ability to give the buff to other people because again. Unlucky. There's an unfortunately large change it won't matter.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 23, 2022

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

MiiNiPaa posted:

Violence affects all dice and its downside does not matter for 1-X dice. Rhythm also has a significant downside of staggering you faster if you are unlucky enough to get hit. I would not take Rhythm for Love Town fight, for example.
Look, if you're using 1-X dice by the time you get Singing Machine (Other than the ones on Now Die, of course), you really shouldn't be expecting to consistently win Clashes. As for working on all dice... Sure, but didn't you say you wanted to build someone with only offensive dice for that other Singing Machine thing?

Fair enough on not boosting defensive dice, and the staggering you faster if you lose Clashes and get hit, though. Doesn't mean I'd rather have Violence than Rhythm, but my preferences are not objective fact. End of the day, I just don't like that amount of variance, since it makes consistency pretty much impossible.

quote:

Alos, I built a smiling Yesod sprite:

Nice!

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Given how Type Moon likes to do things, you can guess. But the answer is [SPOILERS].

Also, Phillip isn't the first grade 5 fixer we've fought. Olga, Stephan, Dalloc, and Bono were all grade 5 fixers. Although Olga was hungover; Stephan was low on ammo; and Dalloc and Bono aren't combat specialists.

Alloc and Liwei apparently were both grade 4 fixers, showing that a combat oboe is just as good as being a Emiya Kiritsugu knockoff.

Walter was also a Grade 5, so that's an idea of what to look for regarding combat Fixers on that level. Though he hadn't stepped out of the office for a while, so maybe not...

Meanwhile, Yuna and Salvadore are above that, so... I dunno, calling a Grade 4 or higher washed up is a bit harsh, Roland.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Junpei posted:

Yo, artbook people, how old are Salvador, Phillip and Yuna?

Eh, no real way that's a spoiler, so sure. 54, 24, 34.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Your Everyday NEET posted:

All this talk about weaponized cello case reminded me of Antonio Banderas' movie Desperado. I wonder if a concealed machine gun inside a guitar case could get past the Head's anti-gun regulation or not?

Well the main cost, IIRC, was the bullets, so I don't think that'd help?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

I actually really like Eject. It's basically two 4-6 rolls thanks to the power lowering effect, followed by a block die good for lowering damage on any third hit.
I mean, rolls-wise, it'll give similar results as those 2-dice 3-7 rollers you can get but also has a third die.

It's only good for Clashes since it has no other effects, but winning Clashes is the best thing to do, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

MiiNiPaa posted:

A fun fact. Do you know what this is:

Those are lies. Pure ranged pages are perfectly capable of using Pleasure received in Porccubus fight. As they can use Enlightenment from Fragment of the Galaxy. Both of those are Melee pages. Because both of those contain only defensive dice, there are no problems with sprites (melee-only sprites do not contain animations for ranged attacks and vice-versa. This is the reason why you cannot use wrong page type even in appearance projection). I wonder, if we ever get forcibly given cards, which will contain actual damage dice.

Uh?

I mean, Enlightenment uses only Defensive dice, but Pleasure doesn't. I'd guess that Ranged pages using Pleasure just use the normal Fire animation but in melee distance? Liwei's page was a hybrid page, so we can't exactly see from it, though.