Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Finally, time to tackle this beast.

The very long-awaited Laxius S____ is finally coming out late this year. Allegedly. After having been delayed for the majority of a decade.
So, I decided it was high-time I started an LP of this series.

So, in 2005, one of my favourite RPGMaker series, The Way, ended.

Also in 2005, another of my favourite RPGMaker series, Master of the Wind, began.

And now we cover this series. The Laxius series, currently 8 games long, soon to be 9, hit its peak in 2005 (Well, okay, December 2004) with Laxius Power III.
It contended with the Way Episode 5 for Misao Awards, and incredibly, somehow beat The Way 5 for Best Story and some others. See my The Way thread for specifics.

Laxius Power 3's story still is not anything special but I think it indicates just how popular the Laxius series was for a time. I think it might have been more beloved by people outside of the RPGMaker community than inside of it though, but I cannot say for sure. I think it has also just been genuinely forgotten by the RPGMaker community now. None of the games are on RPGMaker.net either, not even his free ones.

The Title screen, music and the game's opening cutscene are in this video.

Laxius Power 1 is a game I have very complicated feelings about.

There's a lot of nostalgia here, but I do think it has some good ideas. It has an interesting mix of CRPG and JRPG design paradigms.

Unfortunately, there's also a lot of pretty problematic stuff that really should just not exist in a game. I'll quote a review of the first game.

quote:

Laxius Power is one of the best fanmade RPGs I have ever seen. Although the plot is quite cliche, the game more than makes up for this with sheer size: not counting numerous side quests and secret locations, Laxius Power will easily take you more than 50 hours to complete.
Coded with ASCII's RPG Maker application, Laxius Power is a console-style RPG, which means you get to control a party of anime-ish characters and explore a Final Fantasy-style world. The game lets you control multiple characters, and even allows you to change the difficulty level – a nice touch that more RPGs should have. One of the best things about the game is that you have considerable freedom of movement: there are always many locations you can explore at any given time – giving the game a strong non-linear feel.

Before you download the game, be warned: unlike most "cute" anime RPGs, this one has a number of "mature" elements that could offend you. There is offensive language and precarious sexual situations depicted, although nothing as blatant as the mildest of Japanese adult Hentai games. Also to the designer's credit, the sexual overtones never become the main focus of the game (it is normally quite obvious if a game designer is using sex as a 'cheap' gimmick to attract more players). The writing is awkward and stilted in some areas, probably a result of the game being translated from French, or coded by a non-native English speaker. That's nothing to detract from the fun, though. Overall, I find Laxius Power to be one of the best freeware RPGs today. If you enjoy console-style RPGs, check out this excellent underdog that will occupy you for dozens of hours. If offensive material puts you off, though, your best bet is to look for a more 'traditional' console RPG. Two thumbs up for this underdog.

Reviewed by: Underdogs

As you might have guessed from that last line, that's the Home of the Underdogs entry, where Laxius Power is rated as one of the Top Dogs with a rating of 8.21 (6917 votes).
The Home of the Underdogs entry is actually how I discovered Laxius Power, and through it, RPGMaker way back when I was like... 13 or 14 or something.

Anyway, like the HotU review states, there's some offensive stuff in here, but fortunately it's never graphic. There's definitely some nudity and fanservice and stuff I'll censor though or just mention in passing.

I might have to put up content warnings here and there but most of it is -relatively- tame. There's some rape threats. One scene of torture late in the game. A lot of sexism... (though I don't think the author is an actual misogynist. At the very least, he isn't anymore). The author is definitely keen on S/M relationships too, but it fortunately only really shows in some stupid bantering and bickering here and there and writing that elf girls are raised to be submissive unlike human women. The R-slur is used here and there. I can't remember anything more off the top of my head.

While there is some weird crap, and some incredibly stupid offensive bullshit, this LP is more a setup for the later games which... are far less problematic (but still have some stupid bad poo poo) but insane in other ways. This one we'll mostly be enjoying for its Engrish and some odd execution, if anything. If any of you are familiar with the infamously terrible Dominic Deegan webcomic, then I can tell you this game has the same sort of thing going on, where it feels like a young (?) guy or teen that loves harem and 90's fantasy anime a lot uncritically reproduced a lot of the problems with those things in his own work. If you are not familiar with Dominic Deegan... Well, lucky you. But a thread in BSS is currently ongoing as good ol' Mookie started a extremely boring and poor sequel series. At some point, to take the edge off the extreme boredom, the thread started to reread and analyse exactly what made the original Dominic Deegan so bad. It's a good and enlightening read, and the problems are sometimes relevant to Laxius Powers own. The reread starts here.

Laxius Power comes packaged with HTML files that act as the instruction manual of the game. Both gameplay info and setting information that never otherwise comes up in the game are contained inside it. I'll post it when I feel like it, but here's the story summary:

quote:

STORY (SHORT SUMMARY)
"Random Story", the 1st part of Laxius Power, features the adventure of Random, a young swordman, and his friends. Gifted with awesome powers a sword in the hand, Random gets bored of his training courses, and decides to make it to SankT Leona, a huge city where a famous tournament is about to take place. The young man just has enough time to get prepared, raise his skills and travel up to the faraway city. But simultaneously to Random's dreams of glory, a threatening order grows in the depth of dark caves and creepy towers. Its name : the Dark Order. Its location : everywhere. Its goal : raising the ultimate army, the most powerful army ever, full of fiends and overboosted creatures, in order to control as quickly as possible the unaware country. Why all these efforts and agitation ? Within 2 years, a millenary cycle - forgotten by everyone but the necromancers - must happen, and bring back antic Over Demons to proceed to the Global Annihilation, and the Dark Order wants to unite with them instead of endure them.
Will the reign of terror win ? The story tells the adventure of Random and how he'll deal with the terrifying events that are about to happen. Also, discover the love story of Random and his elf girlfriend, Sarah, and live their burning passion through dramatic events and scaring enemies. Mythology, adventures and secrets are to be discovered in the world the story takes place. Laxius Power is also a thought about the quest of glory, and the important things in life.

As you can see, English is the second language of our author here, though his English does improve a lot over the series. I believe his first language is French. I had a French friend some years ago, who claimed the French RPGMaker community had a great distaste for Indinera and exiled him for the crime of not making art games and then having the gall to translate them into English. Said friend also said they named the pervert game award after him. But this is all second-hand. I can't read French. If someone knows otherwise, please do not hesitate to correct me.

One last thing: Indinera posted his portfolio on his forum some time back and has kept it updated ever since. I'll quote it here, because you might recognise some of these since I see them, especially Millenium, on sale on Steam and stuff fairly frequently.

quote:

I started developing games in April 2001 and took a two-years break in 2006-2007 after the release of Lax Team, to the Rescue.

Laxius Power ~ Random Story October 2001 (re-released May 2002)

Laxius Power II ~ Destinies April 2003

Laxius Power III ~ The Final Terror December (X-mas) 2004

Blades of Heaven April (?) 2005
Lax Team, to the Rescue! December 2005

Laxius Force - Heroes Never Die August 18, 2008

3 Stars of Destiny February 23, 2009
Laxius Party May 2009
Laxius Force II - The Queen of Adretana August 19, 2009
Millennium: A New Hope September 21, 2009
Asguaard November 13, 2009
Millennium 2: Take Me Higher December 20, 2009

Dreamscape March 19, 2010
Ella's Hope (Lead: Eridani) April 29, 2010
Laxius Force III - The Last Stand August 29, 2010
Millennium 3: Cry Wolf October 31, 2010

Sylia (Lead: Ensorcelled) May 8, 2011
Millennium 4: Beyond Sunset August 6, 2011

The Book of Legends February 18, 2012
Moonchild August 26, 2012
Opaline - 2 Fates 1 Love (Lead: Warfare) November 20, 2012

Millennium 5: The Battle of the Millennium July 21, 2013
Onyx (Lead: Valkyria) October 31, 2013

Undefeated January 4, 2014
Girlfriend Rescue August 30, 2014
The Tale of a Common Man October 17, 2014

Elendia Ceus February 20, 2015
A Timely Intervention August 20, 2015
The King's Heroes November 14, 2015

YOU... and who else? May 14, 2016
Witch Hunt October 16, 2016

Little Hearts August 3, 2017

Shadows & Lies April 6, 2018
Fortress of Hell October 31, 2018

Inferno August 15, 2019
A Plunge into Darkness October 28, 2019

Forever Heroes September 21, 2020

Night of the Stars June 18, 2021

The author of Laxius Power went by Damianzeking for a time, but now goes by Indinera or Indinera Falls. He owns Aldorlea Games and publishes his own RPGMaker games on Steam now. As well as other peoples games.

You -might- be more familiar with Indinera's Millennium quintology. The first half of that series was made in-between installments of the Laxius Force trilogy, which is so strange to me. Laxius Force is completely insane but Millennium is not. I have a fair bit of genuine fondness for Millennium, even.

So with that all out of the way... I'll be updating this LP whenever I feel like. People who read my last two LPs will know from experience that that can mean once a week, it can mean daily, it can even mean two or even three times in a day, depending on how I feel and how excited I am to reach a part.

I do want to warn everyone not to expect something like The Way or Master of the Wind, though. Laxius Power 1 has its weird parts, but the story and characters are awful. The battle system is basic RPGMaker 2k poo poo. Most of the music and tilesets is basic RTP.

So! In light of all that, I won't be painstakingly transcribing every line of dialogue like I did for The Way and Master of the Wind.

Sorry if this comes off pretty incoherent and all, but I have seriously rewritten and deleted this post many times in the months since the Master of the Wind LP. I have gotten cold feet on starting this LP at the last minute a bunch of times. I mean, for one thing, I originally intended to do Laxius Power right after The Way. I've had many long debates with myself on if it's really worth LPing this game with all its problems. Now I just want to get it off my back. A simple woman -haunted- by the Laxius series. It's my fate to bear this burden. But, maybe by sharing it, if people understand my pain... it shall be eased some.

The first update will follow in a couple posts.

Vilkacis believes Herasia would make a compelling argument for being the fourth party-member if he could.

TABLE OF CONTENTS!

S01E01: Meet the Party.
We meet our party of beloved psychopaths plus a cat and an extremely boring teenage girl.

S01E02: The Dream Book.
In which our beloved psychopaths, a cat and a boring teenage girl read a book and bug and rob everyone in Rillia.

S01E03: Do Not Name Your Dark Order 'The Dark Order.'
In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a dull as poo poo teenage girl undertake a lengthy dungeon crawl.

S01E04: Stay Close To Me, Sarah (repeated)
In which our beloved psychopaths, a cat and a yawn-inducing teenage girl slaughter some priests.

S01E05: Not as cool as Solest's fairies. The punny title of the update was cheated from me.
In which our beloved band of psychopaths, a cat and a teenage girl Bore Magician run a maze.

S01E06: The Upper West Saga 1: This ain't so upper.
Our beloved psychopaths, a cat and a FISH-VIOLENCE-MAD teenage girl explore the Upper West.

S01E07:The Upper West Saga 2: Spelunky!
In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a Fish Frenzied teenage girl prove the gossips wrong! The rumors are true!

S01E08: The Upper West Saga 3: Unlimited Power!
Our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat, and a dull teenage girl discover the power that will make them legends... as long as they all stick together.

S01E09: The Upper West Saga 4: Taking Big Cow Out To Pasture.
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a boring, fish-crazy teenage girl take on Big Cow... and win.

S01E10: The Upper West Saga 5: Mammoth Mandatory Monster Mountain Maze MELTDOWN!
Our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a trivia-orientated teenage girl traverse the largest mountain dungeon of all time, only to get blueballed at the end.

S01E11: The Upper West Saga FINALE: My long-time dream finally reality!
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a HONOUR BOUND TO DELIVER MAIL INTACT teenage girl deliver the mail and meet a rather delightful mushroom. Also they cross two different sets of mountains.

S01E12: The Journey's End
In which our beloved band of psychopaths, a cat and the bland teenage girl finally reach their destination.

S01E13: That Primo Library Content.
In which our party of psychopaths, a cat and a blood-reversing teenage girl visit the library.

S01E14: The Big Rescue.
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a teenage girl of unknown race and origin have their final showdown with the core of Big Cow.

S01E15: Double Arghh!!!
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a somewhat attentive teenage girl commit murder most foul.

S01E16: Loss.
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a suspiciously knowledgeable about Demoniac Language teenage girl Experience Loss.

S01E17: The Fraught Struggle With Edgelordism.
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and an increasingly nervous teenage girl deal with DARK and MATURE THEMES.

S01E18: The Final Huel!
Our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a :| teenage girl save the day and become (junior) heroes!

S01E19: Night of the Perv- Uh I mean Party!
In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a tragically, depressingly friendless teenage girl have a lovely party.

S1E20: The Victory Lap.
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a very quiet teenage girl walk to some towns and talk to people I guess.

S01E21: The Morph Demon.
Our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and an increasingly put upon teenage girl confront an ancient evil: Wendala's tongue!

S01E22: The Armpit of Ire.
In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and an useless elemental wizard teenage girl commit elemental genocide.

S01E23: The Common, the Insipid and the Destroyer of Scrolls.
Our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a SWORD DESTROYING teenage girl do a buncha stuff I guess!

S01E24: The Neck-Romancer and The Lone Sisters Islands
In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and an INCREASINGLY SUSPICIOUS teenage girl kick some rear end.

S01E25: POSTGAME Purgatory ESCAPE
In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a LUSTING FOR MORE POWER teenage girl admit they are ready to go their separate ways.

S02E01: The Worm's Request.
In which our beloved party of psychopaths, a cat and a RULES ABIDING teenage girl.... disband.

S02E02: The First Day.
In which the Prime Psychopath has his first day of school. Who knows what the cat and lonely teenage girl are up to...?

S02E03: Special Delivery.
In which the Prime Psychopath beheads a lot of monsters and gets an incredible chest delivered to his home.

S02E04: Midnight Shenanigans!
In which the Prime Psychopath visits the graveyard at night and is not spooked by ghosts.

S02E05: A ghost... A prophecy... A slime...
In which a psychotic LPer returns to chronicling the adventures of her beloved band of psychopaths plus a cat and one terribly inoffensive teenage girl. But first, we must push through the Prime Psychopaths sword college days and have a seaside date with ghosts.

S02E06: Post-Modern Poetry
In which the Prime Psychopath says The Line.

S02E07: A prophecy... A slime... A grave...
In which A slime... A prophecy... happens and the Prime Psychopath faces loss at the big Tournament!

S02E08: The Five Doors Barring The Way To Our Future
In which the Prime Psychopath Chaz!s up the asses of some doors. I mean the monsters behind the doors. And we Chaz! it up good!

S02E09: Millipuf!
The Stupid Elf hangs out in the woods.

S02E10: My Sarah... you shine like the sun.
The Stupid Elf becomes Queen poo poo Elf.

S02E11: It's No ZettaFlare!
In which the milquetoast teenage girl starts her new school life and also a cat is there.

S02E12: Lava Wall
In which the Nice and Smart teenage girl and a cat and some dude explore a volcano to gain THE LAVA ELEMENT!

S02E13: Demi-Goddess?? Is that what he means??
The dry as parchment teenage girl blossoms into the Superior Being and also a cat is there and gets even fluffier.

S02E14: And Nothing Of Value Was Learnt.
Chaos Uncle does not get a job and instead sleeps for 7 months. Also we finish Laxius Power 2. Thank loving Christ.

My brand new Patreon!
My even newer Ko-fi!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
RESERVED

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
RESERVED IN CASE

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
S1E1: Meet the Party.

We meet our party of beloved psychopaths plus a cat and an extremely boring teenage girl.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I haven't thought about this series in years. You might want to post the LP directly into a post instead of an lpix link. Especially if you're wanting to add this to the archive.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
oh god why

I never got past that first update, because throwing six party members with maybe five personality traits between them at you within the first ten minutes was too dumb even for my teenage self, but I have heard things...

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

....all the female characters are drawn with their nipples showing through their clothes.

Mind you they're dreadful approximations on their horribly drawn boobs (like every bit of them) but its the intent that counts.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
What the ever-loving poo poo is this and how did it spawn 8 games? I assume Fleshwit's LP will answer at least one of those questions.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I haven't thought about this series in years. You might want to post the LP directly into a post instead of an lpix link. Especially if you're wanting to add this to the archive.

Also, this. LPix links aren't bad, but if you're doing screenshot then posting in the thread might be better. At least that way posters can easily quote sections of it.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Yeah, I get all that, but also way back when I did The Way LP, I was not getting many replies and would end up with like 8 looong updates on every page and the thread became a huge pain in the rear end to navigate or find anything on until I switched to the test poster.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Keep your current update in the thread and move past ones into the test poster.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Keep your current update in the thread and move past ones into the test poster.

Good idea, thank you.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This looks utter garbage. I'm here for it. :munch:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Oh man, been a while since I've thought about this game. I actually do have fond memories of playing it way back when - "items everywhere" is seriously underselling it, the game just has a constant deluge of stuff (most of which is actually useful equipment/items like that eagle feather), which was pretty good at keeping young me exploring just one more screen. Never managed to get very far the couple of times I've tried to go back though, the encounter rate gets really bad at points.

The art definitely looks way worse than I remember though. I have a vague recollection of there being a re-release which backported some of the later game's portraits? Might be misremembering there.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I never finished this game because i got bored of the gameplay pretty quickly but i have looked through the code and seen Some poo poo. Considered LPing it at some point but better you than me.

Well then!

Oh god what no leave Tiki alone :gonk: and this art is even worse than i remembered

OK so i don't mean to get in the way of your digging into the manual for the proper explanation, please go ahead if you want to, but from my memories of RM2k(3) the "pw" should just be the base power of the move.

2H3M probably refers to the "hit chance" and "mind chance" sliders. It should mean this ability is powered up by both the strength and mind stats (skills can scale with one or both of these, or neither, but not with the other stats). Every point of "hit chance" adds 5% of the user's strength stat while the "mind chance" adds 2.5%" of mind (for some reason???) IIRC and it goes up to 10 (so adding at most half of str or 1/4 of mind to the final amount). However, the enemy's defence (or mind, as appropriate) will reduce this. (I seem to recall there being something where defences can only reduce the damage from the caster's stats, but can't reduce damage blow the base power... but it's been a long time.)

There is also a variance setting where you can have it slightly-to-less-slightly randomize the final result.

:techno:

Use the cat :mad:

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

vilkacis posted:

OK so i don't mean to get in the way of your digging into the manual for the proper explanation, please go ahead if you want to, but from my memories of RM2k(3) the "pw" should just be the base power of the move.

It's all good, and I welcome any insight someone might have in the nitty gritty of RPGMaker 2k.

And yeah I figured that was exactly what Pw meant which is why I listed the Pw of Luci's spells.

vilkacis posted:

2H3M probably refers to the "hit chance" and "mind chance" sliders. It should mean this ability is powered up by both the strength and mind stats (skills can scale with one or both of these, or neither, but not with the other stats). Every point of "hit chance" adds 5% of the user's strength stat while the "mind chance" adds 2.5%" of mind (for some reason???) IIRC and it goes up to 10 (so adding at most half of str or 1/4 of mind to the final amount). However, the enemy's defence (or mind, as appropriate) will reduce this. (I seem to recall there being something where defences can only reduce the damage from the caster's stats, but can't reduce damage blow the base power... but it's been a long time.)

You and Indinera seem to be mostly in agreement. But he does have one key difference in his explanation.

quote:

* Damaging Spells :
Example :
Mega Freeze
(1) Pw=191 Freeze (3H4M) Eff=Sleep
Comments :
(1) shows only 1 monster can be aimed (it's either 1 or all).
Pw (Power) shows the basic power of the spell, and its raw source (here, Freeze).
Between bracks is indicated how the spell increases with Attack (Hit Points=H) and Mind (Mind Points=M).
5% of total Attack Points is added to the damage for each single point (so in this example, 15%).
5% of total Mind Points is added to the damage for each single point (so in this example, 20%).
Both are included in the damage calculation.
Keep in mind the monster's resistance to the spell's source also has a big importance in the damage calculation.
Eff (Effect) shows the side effect(s) the spell may give simultaneously to its damage.
A brief and describing comment may be added after these informations.

vilkacis posted:

Use the cat :mad:

Hah. I'll think about it. Coryool quickly becomes useless outside of being a tank and his passive ability, and Guanidia and the first hidden character have little redeeming qualities. Regardless of who I use for the fourth slot, they'll be replaced by the second hidden character eventually since they're the only remotely good fourth character and still aren't all that great.

Random, Sarah and Luci are just -that- much better than the rest.

Also I'm gonna put that edit in the op.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

oh dear.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fleshwit posted:

You and Indinera seem to be mostly in agreement. But he does have one key difference in his explanation.

Huh! I had to open the game and have a look after seeing this. Turns out skills just seem to state they have twice the mind chance that they really do. Mega Freeze's description claims 3H4M, but in reality it is 3H8M! So he was aware of the... bug? and worked around it in order to make the descriptions make more sense. That's not a bad way to handle it, really.

(There are also a couple that claim to have, say, 5M but "only" have 9 so it's really 4.5. Still, close enough.)

quote:

Also I'm gonna put that edit in the op.

:3:

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
S01E02: The Dream Book.

In which our beloved psychopaths, a cat and a boring teenage girl read a book and bug and rob everyone in Rillia.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 24, 2021

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

That cat is loving fat at any weight from 12-20kg.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

LJN92 posted:

Kind of depends on how big it is. There's no listed height. Maybe it's like Battle Cat from He-Man?

Anyway, I'm more surprised at the size of the main party. We've got the plucky Japanese teenagers all standing at 1.60m and weighing in at the "stiff breeze could carry them away" weight of 45-50kgs.

And then there's loving Shaquille O'Neal over here clocking in at 147kg and 2.19m tall. The dude who is apparently super strong and yet for some reason sucks at dealing "big damages."

Also, there's nothing slightly worrying at all about this 45-year old alcoholic man having an undefined attraction towards the boyish 16-year old hero.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

LJN92 posted:

His height is not applicable, presumably he only exists in two dimensions. Hard to be fat when you're flat I guess. Also that's a hell of a weight range, it must visibly fluctuate a lot. A lead sheet growing and shrinking constantly.

I don't think this is a cat.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

I've long held a suspicion Coryool might have ulterior motives. We shall see.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Sarah's entry is next and I'm not posting a picture of her bio because her top in this particular artwork is -completely- transparent. Like cling wrap tinted pink. So you can see her nipples.

:doh:

Also bothered somewhat that they stuck the gender under race, as if "male human" is a specific race as opposed to other kinds of humans?

quote:

Why are they all exactly 1.60m tall?

Because any time someone grows above that level, Coryool steals their excess height for himself. :hai:

quote:

Here's a mistake Indy makes a lot. He means unexperienced.

Well they are hopefully also unexperimented!

quote:

NO I DONT GIVE A poo poo ABOUT WIDENESS

Okay, gently caress. We admired it.

:lol:

...Apricots are poisonous in this world...?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

vilkacis posted:

When healing spells and items have an effect like that listed in this game, it usually means they heal that effect.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That makes more sense!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I thought so too, but the trout's description says "anti-poison" and the apricot just "poison", so clearly the first interpretation was correct.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

vilkacis posted:

The pits are poisonous, they have a chemical in them that converts to cyanide when you eat them.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

I thought so too, but the trout's description says "anti-poison" and the apricot just "poison", so clearly the first interpretation was correct.

I think it might be an inconsistency in how these descriptions are entered on Indinera's part. Sarah got beaten up in a fight and then I attempted to get her apricot poisoned mid battle. It didn't happen. Reloaded. Didn't work out of battle either. Unless it has a % chance to poison I didn't get and isn't noted in the description. Or Sarah has innate poision immunity (which I don't think she does). None of her current gear gives any poison protection.

I have not been able to test if it cures poison yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Regardless of the obvious "teenager writing a video game for the first time ever" look and feel of everything and the perils involved therein,

This dude looks amazing.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
S01E03: Do Not Name Your Dark Order 'The Dark Order.'

In which our party of beloved psychopaths, a cat and a dull as poo poo teenage girl undertake a lengthy dungeon crawl.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 26, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's hard to really get invested in a game where I actively want half the party to die painfully and stay dead. Not a good sign for so early on.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
There's only two party members I have that much antipathy towards and ones an Epic Scientist Man that's only introduced in Laxius Force 3, and the other is Sarah. And even Sarah sort of grew on me a little probably just by dint of the sheer amount of exposure.

Epic Scientist Guy named Daryl can go to hell though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Congrats on your internet fame, don't forget about us :qq:

I do think it's nice to get some positivity in, too - i've certainly mocked the game as well but it's good to remember it was a one-man job (or rather as it seems, a one-teenager one) and it's a fairly involved, full length game. It's way more than most people who decide to Make A Video Game ever managed, and the guy went on to improve over time. Yeah, it's mostly rtp but this is actually a generic fantasy setting so the rtp fits and at this point i'd rather have that over the same old FFVI chipset rips every other game uses. I wouldn't go so far as to say i like it (it has tedious random encounters with no sprucing up worth talking about) but i can at least respect the effort it took.

What udder madness! :haw:

:saddowns:

...Incidentally, Big Cows are weak to a lot of status effects but notably have D-level resistance to numb - which means you only have a 20% chance to land it on them.

(Status resistance comes in five tiers, from A, nearly guaranteed to work, to E, immune. Attack attributes work on the same system, typically doing double damage to enemies with A-level resistance and between 0 and 50% to ones with an E. :techno: )

And no upper limit? Got some buff-rear end carrier pigeons here!

Razor Sun is a 999 base damage (the maximum allowed) , defence-ignoring spell with full hit and mind chance and flare and laser(?) attributes. It also blinds. That's some heavy firepower to hand out this early!

And P-freeze does in fact lose the silence effect.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

vilkacis posted:

Congrats on your internet fame, don't forget about us :qq:

I will forget or not as I please.

vilkacis posted:

What udder madness! :haw:

:rolleyes:

vilkacis posted:

Razor Sun is a 999 base damage (the maximum allowed) , defence-ignoring spell with full hit and mind chance and flare and laser(?) attributes. It also blinds. That's some heavy firepower to hand out this early!

I -think- Laser is Indy's own version of non-elemental. Resistance to it is meant to be quite uncommon, if not unheard of in this game, I think. That's why the spell(s) that become Luci's most powerful spells in Laxius Power 3 and always remain pretty useful in the Force trilogy are... Lava Wall? And Magma Wall? Lava and Magma something. Despite their names, they're Laser spells. Or they have Laser as one of their types, at least.

In the Force trilogy though, just about every enemy starts becoming various amounts of resistant to almost everything including physical attacks which makes the combat really annoying. Laser is no exception.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Fleshwit posted:

Words about the LP

I think the thing that a lot of people don't get (and I'm not saying the people on that Discord don't. By all accounts they seem to understand) is that it takes a special kind of crazy to do a LP in screenshot format of a game that you legitimately hate. If you make the decision to start up one of these things, especially on this shambling corpse of a site, then it's because you have at least some love for some aspect of the game. Even the horrendous Pokemon fangames that people do will at least have the very basic skeleton of "It's mechanically a Pokemon game."

You can like a game while still ripping into it. Being able to admit what works and what doesn't is important. Otherwise you end up like the Pokemon Reborn circle jerk.

vilkacis posted:

I do think it's nice to get some positivity in, too - i've certainly mocked the game as well but it's good to remember it was a one-man job (or rather as it seems, a one-teenager one) and it's a fairly involved, full length game. It's way more than most people who decide to Make A Video Game ever managed, and the guy went on to improve over time. Yeah, it's mostly rtp but this is actually a generic fantasy setting so the rtp fits and at this point i'd rather have that over the same old FFVI chipset rips every other game uses. I wouldn't go so far as to say i like it (it has tedious random encounters with no sprucing up worth talking about) but i can at least respect the effort it took.

This is one of the biggest points for me when it comes to criticism. Is the person/group looking at what worked and what didn't, taking it, and then making an honest effort to improve? Then good on them. I applaud that and I hope they keep making stuff.

Lord knows there's stuff I wrote in the past that, if I posted it here, would get lambasted for a long time. I'd probably request a probation just for being associated with it. But I recognize that and have (at least I hope) improved since then. You've got to be willing to laugh at yourself, at least a little.

nine-gear crow posted:

Regardless of the obvious "teenager writing a video game for the first time ever" look and feel of everything and the perils involved therein,

This dude looks amazing.

I, for one, am looking forward to his inevitable betrayal.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
There's a lot of memories of this game flooding back but there is still a lot that is hazy. Was it this game where there was a quest giver who gave you errands that were just an insane amount of time sink to complete? I'm sure it was fairly early on in a forest area.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Psycho Knight posted:

I think the thing that a lot of people don't get (and I'm not saying the people on that Discord don't. By all accounts they seem to understand) is that it takes a special kind of crazy to do a LP in screenshot format of a game that you legitimately hate.

Hey, Orange Fluffy Sheep isn't here to defend himself.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Man, I love Pokemon Reborn. I didn't read the thread here about it despite hearing a buncha drama and meltdowns happened but I'm not surprised given the content. I was at the 12th badge or something when that thread started so I was not about to read it.

I've explained in one or the other of my previous LPs that I love Reborn for the same reason I love Laxius. Though Reborn goes from 0-60 in a second in terms of edginess, over the top drama and unintentional hilarity, and just has some incredible highs and truly asinine lows. Laxius is much more of a slow burn, and its hard to compare its own strangeness and wonky plotting and characters with Reborns. The two authors are just completely different kinds of people and Indinera is trying to tell a high fantasy epic instead of..... whatever the gently caress Ame is doing. I will say I had a lot more fun -playing- Reborn than I do playing Laxius on average though. Because, yeah, its mechanically Pokemon.

Boy was I in the dark though. I hadn't played Pokemon since Sapphire so I had no idea what the gently caress was going on 80% of the time.

Anyway, SPEAKING of RPGMaker games, people that read my previous LP, the Master of the Wind, may be interested or even excited to know that last month Volrath released a demo of Legacy, the Master of the Wind sequel. I played the first few days of it (its going to be a completely different beast from MOTW) and it seemed pretty promising. I did not finish the demo though because Volrath indicated he was going to release a second demo when he reaches the part where the games main villain is revealed, and said reveal will be a shocking one for anyone who cares about Solest and the Lore. And I definitely do.

My bet is its Sandahar. The necromancer elf that betrayed Volrath Blacksteele during his rebellion, to take Perditia's power. I think he's the only option that really fits. Ariel and Solik still are active but they're not like, important to the lore and are known villains But maybe it'll be Elissa Brightwey. The REAL one this time.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 24, 2021

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

There's a lot of memories of this game flooding back but there is still a lot that is hazy. Was it this game where there was a quest giver who gave you errands that were just an insane amount of time sink to complete? I'm sure it was fairly early on in a forest area.

No, I think you might be misremembering... I believe the Forest Maze is the only forest in the game and I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that. Or anywhere else.

Well, there is one optional quest to win 10,000 battles, but that's it. Unless my brain has truly failed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fleshwit posted:

Man, I love Pokemon Reborn. I didn't read the thread here about it despite hearing a buncha drama and meltdowns happened but I'm not surprised given the content. I was at the 12th badge or something when that thread started so I was not about to read it.

I've explained in one or the other of my previous LPs that I love Reborn for the same reason I love Laxius. Though Reborn goes from 0-60 in a second in terms of edginess, over the top drama and unintentional hilarity, and just has some incredible highs and truly asinine lows. Laxius is much more of a slow burn, and its hard to compare its own strangeness and wonky plotting and characters with Reborns. The two authors are just completely different kinds of people and Indinera is trying to tell a high fantasy epic instead of..... whatever the gently caress Ame is doing. I will say I had a lot more fun -playing- Reborn than I do playing Laxius on average though. Because, yeah, its mechanically Pokemon.

...pity you didn't read the thread. You missed such highlights as Corey's suicide being a real life thing that happened to one of the actual roleplayers involved in the original group. That Amethyst decided to exploit for Patreon money. Despite the poor guy's daughter also being in the original group.