Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

After 15+ years, Psychonauts is getting a sequel! Originally released in 2005 for the Xbox and PS2, it had a Fig backer campaign to fund the sequel. 24k backers pledged $3.8 million dollars in 2016 to fund 116% of their goal (then they were bought by Microsoft).

Now it is 2021 and the game comes out in a few days on August 25th on Steam, Humble Bundle, Microsoft (including Xbox Game Pass), and Playstation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghO7GcYfrjc

There have been a number of videos put out by Double Fine in the last few days showing some of the gamplay basics leading up to the release of this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mn0iT-zZkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqIQrZYq3zA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhkwSGUR1kI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJo3G__TPek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch2_e2RK-EA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Played the first when it first released, and multiple times over the years. I still can't believe it's actually happening.

Bein honest I have doubts it'll live up to the original, but I'm going to remain hopeful. Please please be good

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'm so excited. Been playing through the original a bunch this year, even learned a speed run route.

I'm really liking the changes they've shown off with combat and enemy diversity. Platforming also looks a lot tighter from the footage.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm actually still sort of stunned I'll be playing Psychonauts 2 this week. I hope the Motherlobe or whatever the hub is has a bunch of interns and agents I can stalk for their tiny story arcs like the campers of yore...

Also it'd be pretty great not to do the meat circus again.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
Is this page new? https://www.gog.com/game/psychonauts_2
I remember searching on gog a short while ago and not finding it on there

Cantide fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 23, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please be good please be good :pray:

The first game was just so... fun! I really, really want them to knock this out of the park.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first psychonauts' strength was the ridiculous amount of reactivity you'd get from every character, with every item, and every power, at every act of the game. all the campers were great and then the (sadly defunct) blogs just made them better

the actual jumping/collecting/puzzling part was just a vehicle for more quippy dialogue at best and meat circus at worst, and it doesn't seem to have changed, like, at all if previews are anything to go by. on the positive end, double fine did release that weird little VR interlude in 2017 and it showed they haven't lost their touch with the characters

also i'm just glad richard horvitz gets another swing at raz. that guy's great and he really dropped off my radar for a little while

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the first psychonauts' strength was the ridiculous amount of reactivity you'd get from every character, with every item, and every power, at every act of the game. all the campers were great and then the (sadly defunct) blogs just made them better

the actual jumping/collecting/puzzling part was just a vehicle for more quippy dialogue at best and meat circus at worst, and it doesn't seem to have changed, like, at all if previews are anything to go by. on the positive end, double fine did release that weird little VR interlude in 2017 and it showed they haven't lost their touch with the characters

also i'm just glad richard horvitz gets another swing at raz. that guy's great and he really dropped off my radar for a little while

They better bring back Mr. Pokeylope so I can introduce him to everyone in the Motherlobe.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I have a lot of confidence in this. All the videos they've put out have looked excellent, the characters and humor and writing in general all feel exactly the same as the original, combat looks better and more elaborate. I suspect/hope it's going to be very, very good but ultimately we've seen very little of the brain levels and those will have a big say in how good it ends up being.

I also hope it's solid on a technical level, and that my very old cpu can handle it okay. I'm glad the requirements are on the lower end of the scale.

If you haven't already it might be worth watching a no-commentary playthrough of Rhombus of Ruin (or playing it yourself if you've got a VR set) just to get up to speed, or reading a plot summary since those events are relevant to 2.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been replaying Psychonauts 1 in the last few days, but I don't think I can finish it before 2 comes out. I just went through Milk Man Conspiracy, but I'm 100%ing the levels. That and I have a n 8 month old daughter, so priorities have changed.

The fun thing is that back in 2005 I was so into this game that I made a loving Figment guide on Gamefaqs as my only guide I've ever done. I never finished it, but did the most difficult levels first. I had to open it up for a few of the figments I missed. I never would have thought that guide would be used 16 years later.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

IUG posted:

The fun thing is that back in 2005 I was so into this game that I made a loving Figment guide on Gamefaqs as my only guide I've ever done. I never finished it, but did the most difficult levels first. I had to open it up for a few of the figments I missed. I never would have thought that guide would be used 16 years later.

The one that always tripped me up was the chimney in Waterloo World. And re-doing the race in Milla's Dance Party a few times was a little annoying cause it was so easy to overshoot some of those.

Reviews for P2 are coming out now and looking very positive, that's nice. I only skimmed them though cause I don't want too many spoilers.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Oxxidation posted:

the reviews all say the platforming & combat, while not great, is still a fair improvement over the original & nothing's ever meat circus-level bad

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
drat easy allies gave it a 9.5 https://youtu.be/iE7VXKL4vP4

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Man, I really want this to be good. I don't think I could play the original anymore - it's still funny and atmospheric, but the gameplay has aged badly. But honestly the sequel could just be exactly the same game with updated gameplay and it would still be 10/10 for me. They don't even have to invent much, just make it play like a game from 2021.

But the reviews are sounding positive so far, right?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just saw Ars Technica put up an article where they call it an early game of the year. DoubleFine is also retweeting a ton of places giving it positive reviews.

I haven't actually read any of them though. I'm going into this game as blind as I can.

One thing I did see suggested though is that if you haven't/can't play Rhombus of Ruin, get a no-commentary LP of it. Does anyone have one that's good and not nauseating (thanks to the VR)? I can stick that in the OP for people who want to catch up on that (myself included).

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Man, I really want this to be good. I don't think I could play the original anymore - it's still funny and atmospheric, but the gameplay has aged badly. But honestly the sequel could just be exactly the same game with updated gameplay and it would still be 10/10 for me. They don't even have to invent much, just make it play like a game from 2021.
I'm going to need this one to be good. The original was one of my favorite games of all time, if not my favorite. I've been re-playing the original Psychonauts this past week, I think it holds up fine. I never had any issue with the platforming or controls (Meat Circus aside, obviously), to the point that after playing Psychonauts again, I get a bit frustrated that all other games don't have the levitation ball in them to zip around the levels and bound over all the obstacles.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just popping in to echo that the original Psychonauts is one of my favourite games of all time, and now I'm leaving until I've beaten 2 because I do not want to be spoilered in any way at all.

Peace.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I haven't filed my review yet, but as someone who loved Psychonauts (warts and all) and enjoyed the story in Rhombus of Ruin, I love Psychonauts 2 a whole lot.

There's some little things you could nitpick about, but the story is good, the humor is as corny and amazing as you'd expect, and gently caress, it's Psychonauts 2.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here's a story review that includes RoR. Haven't watched it though because I'm at work.

https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/1429812073479819266

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/1429806782218600458?s=20

Looking like a midnight UTC launch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I haven't filed my review yet, but as someone who loved Psychonauts (warts and all) and enjoyed the story in Rhombus of Ruin, I love Psychonauts 2 a whole lot.

There's some little things you could nitpick about, but the story is good, the humor is as corny and amazing as you'd expect, and gently caress, it's Psychonauts 2.

gently caress yes, I have avoided basically all media on this and done my best to forget it was coming out until recently and I am really, really excited now :woop:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Fingers crossed they can bottle that lightning again. I usually don't care for platformers but Psychonauts was something special

I still call cute things Pokeylopes from time to time

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

reviews are insanely good for this, thats awesome.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I literally just randomly opened the Steam store this morning and saw you could pre-order Psychonauts 2. Baffled, I checked its store page and learned it comes out of the 25th. Glad I didn't need that $60. I will see you all on the other side after the game gets beaten.

also

IUG posted:

Here's a story review that includes RoR. Haven't watched it though because I'm at work.

holy poo poo this video is amazing, watch it even if you have played both games.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Double Fine said that video is going to be at the beginning of 2.

I 100%ed Gloria's Theater and Waterloo, so maybe tomorrow I'll try to do Black Velvetopolis, the tower, and Meat Circus before the new game. I managed to get the upgraded confusion grenades before even unlocking them (RIP confusion grenades, not making it into the sequel).

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

IUG posted:

Double Fine said that video is going to be at the beginning of 2.

I 100%ed Gloria's Theater and Waterloo, so maybe tomorrow I'll try to do Black Velvetopolis, the tower, and Meat Circus before the new game. I managed to get the upgraded confusion grenades before even unlocking them (RIP confusion grenades, not making it into the sequel).

If you're going for achievements there's an upgrade in Black Velvetopia that's permanently missable. Make sure that Dingo's poster gets put up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

IUG posted:

i like the lowkey gag of raz finding the time to write a detailed letter to the editor/scrapbooking project within, like, two hours, on a submarine

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm going through the basic braining videos DoubleFine have put out a little whole ago and Psy powers spoiler, Raz can summon a little mental projection clone of himself for puzzles and distractions, and dear lord it's voiced by Ricky Simmons aka the voice of GIR.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 24, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The midnight UTC release time is very rude to those of us not in the Americas imo. :argh: Would be a good night for my insomnia to do its thing.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/isthereacrab/status/1429936593448706048?s=20

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just got my key from Fig, which was handled by Humble Bundle. It's in my Steam library, but it won't let me pre-download it.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

"Install" now available on Steam, gogogo!

...and wait for the download. Why the heck doesn't Steam have preloading..

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's downloading for me.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ITS HAPPENING

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I am downloading this game.

Update: I am playing the game.

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 25, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gog has it now too if you like that kind of thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

90% on Steam now. Sorry Black Velvetopolis and Meat Circus, some other time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just finished the first level, got dumped into the lobby of the open-world exploration part of the Motherlobe.

This loving rules, but don't obsess over collectibles yet. There are explicit gates you can't get past yet, but you can come back later. Good mixture of abilities after the tutorial

This game is UglyPretty. They made the original psychonauts style work in HD.

10/10 so far, I am over the moon :allears:

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Is anyone else having the game freeze every time you pause the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Played since it unlocked and very happy with it so far. Big fan of the original too.

Doctor_Acula posted:

Is anyone else having the game freeze every time you pause the game?

As in small stutters? Yeah I have that every once in a while.