Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Another early game variety update? That's something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's really nice they're committed to expanding variety as much as they can.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Blegh, lost my first time at the final boss. Had no idea what to expect. Wizard really carried me though, as I had nothing good, weapons or armor-wise. Even a regular CRI Plasma Rifle can shred enemies, though.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

Jupiter Hell 1.3 "Valhalla" brings an overhaul to Callisto branches and mainline, a new boss at Valhalla Spaceport, level generation improvements, manufacturer perks, slowing smoke, experimental localization (Polish and German for now) and secrets!

There's one big secret in the game, for which you won't find spoilers anywhere, but hopefully the search for it will stir the community - jump by the Jupiter Hell discord if you want to take part in the hunt! https://discord.gg/jupiterhell

Read down below for details! But first...

== Special Offer ==

The Valhalla update calls for a special 30% discount - the biggest one yet! - and for something more... Viking-ish to add to the mix. If you like tactics, chances are you also like strategy. If you enjoy traditional roguelikes, you may get a kick out of discovering modern RTS games. If you love to control every careful step of a bad-rear end space-marine, you may also like ordering around hosts of broad-shouldered Vikings. Yeah... I've got nothing. It's a low-fantasy RTS bundled with a horror/Sci-Fi roguelike. Because after all, why wouldn't you want to try something different?

Frozenheim is a serene Norse city builder with elaborate management gameplay and RTS tactical combat. Lead your Viking clan through hardships of the frozen north, season by season, year after year. Build and survive. Set sail, explore and conquer. Win Odin’s favor and secure your place in Valhalla!

If you already own one, you can get the other at an extra 10% discount (on top of any other discounts that might be active at the time). Enjoy! And now... back to our regular schedule.

== Valhalla Spaceport ==

Spaceport, the final Callisto level, got a rework! Not only is the level generator significantly improved, the mechanics and visuals improved, but there's a new boss that guards the path to the Europa Dropship! All praise the Callisto Warden, and be carful not to damage him too much at once ;).

== Callisto Rework ==

All of Callisto special levels and level generators have been revisited. Each branch has now it's own special mechanic that affects the final special level, and sometimes the rest of Callisto or even the rest of the game!

Level generators both in the branches as well as in the mainline have been improved and the two special levels accessible from mainline also got reward, generator and mechanical improvements!

Each branch also has a manufacturer perk - EVERY non-Unique and non-ADV weapon (exotics ARE included) that spawns there will have an extra free perk that is dependent on the branch! Currently there are three manufacturers with three separate effects - JS (JoviSec), VS (ValSec) and MDF (Mimir Defence Force). The effects are minor but if modded (or on an exotic) can really push the capabilities of the weapon!

== Gameplay Changes ==

This release we focused on what you explore and not who you are, but one big mechanical change has snuck in - Smoke (but not gas!) now slows movement of anyone standing in it. However, the technician, master of smoke, is immune to this effect! Not only does this increase the utility of smoke grenades, but also improves the disengage mechanics of the tech, and provides more utility to non-Toxicologist builds!

There are some slight buffs to a few post-Callisto enemies - the Callisto loot is now much better, so we wanted to keep the difficulty curve consistent. More of such changes will come with 1.4.

As Callisto L2 was always the most boring level that stood between you and the game getting interesting, we made it so that it generates at 2/3 size and 2/3 enemies so you can get to the mid-game quicker :P.

Cover tiles are no longer made of paper, duh.

== Visual Improvements ==

Each generator that we revisited has been enhanced with more visual details, as well as we finally added tech that allows for decals to be placed on generation - Callisto levels now have a bit of blood scattered in them, and we'll use this tech for further improvements down the line!

You'll also notice that we also implemented lighting/state control - this can be currently observed by the effect you get on Lockdown events - more is yet to come!

Lighting and particle effects have been slightly improved in many places, and more light sources placed in Callisto levels (it was f*&*^ng dark there -_-).

== Other Stuff ==

The big thing is probably experimental localization support - we start off with Polish and German, but more languages will come! The localization is against the last update, so new stuff will appear in English, we'll patch that soon :). Please report any misaligned strings though, and any potential crashes (hopefully none!)!

Several minor changes have been done, and a regular batch of bugfixes (see details below).

== Raw Changelog ==

Release 1.3 - Valhalla - March 14th, 2022
NEW #1684 - welcome the CalSec Warden, the new boss of Callisto!
NEW #1662 - Valhalla Terminal branch/special rework!
NEW #1666 - Mimir Habitat branch/special rework!
NEW #1664 - Callisto Rift branch/special rework!
NEW #1665 - Callisto Mines branch/special rework!
NEW #1696 - regular/exotic weapons can have a manufacturer perk!
NEW #1704 - smoke causes Slow -25%, techs are immune to this
NEW #1680 - [REDACTED]
CHANGE #1697 - improved Barracks/Docks and their rewards
CHANGE #1684 - Valhalla Spaceport got a facelift and mechanics
CHANGE #1702 - Callisto L2 is 2/3 size (and enemy count)
CHANGE #1604 - Callisto L1-L3 generators improved
CHANGE #1709 - improved Callisto security textures for visibility
CHANGE #1604 - improved lighting in all Callisto levels
CHANGE #1604 - added random decals (mostly blood) in Callisto
CHANGE #0416 - destroyed doors will lose their icons
CHANGE #0416 - minor changes to door icons and icon color
CHANGE #1670 - Gunrunner reloads both weapons on move if dualwield
CHANGE #1668 - all ravagers get +20 health
CHANGE #1668 - guardian shell back to 80%
CHANGE #1700 - increased cover health
CHANGE #1661 - target reticule on big enemies is expanded
CHANGE #1682 - big enemies are visible as long as any tile is
CHANGE #1683 - every big enemy tile can be targeted
CHANGE #1688 - friendly units wont attack disabled enemies
CHANGE #1688 - Shutdown CalSec gives XP at level enter, not instant
CHANGE #1696 - JS revolver renamed to ".44 HE revolver"
CHANGE #1702 - The Pit has a safe zone around elevator
CHANGE #1604 - bumping vending machines drops their content
CHANGE #1672 - Endless L1 will never generate events
CHANGE #1702 - L2 infestations are smaller
CHANGE #1674 - several minor lighting sources have been adjusted
CHANGE #1674 - several particle sources have been adjusted
FIX #1693 - Toxicologist L2 converts smoke 'nades (was L3)
FIX #1671 - medusa's Slithering shows percentage again
FIX #0416 - you can no longer close the destroyed half of a door

== What's Next? ==

Next up is 1.4 "Chaos", taking its name from "Conamara Chaos" - which will do for Europa and Io the same that Valhalla did for Callisto :). The update should land in about two months - hope you're excited as we are!

This is the end of the official patch notes, read further only if you want Callisto spoilers!

== Spoilers ==

These are just hints to get started:

* Valhalla Terminal - there's a new option on the terminal in each Terminal level...
* Mimir Habitat - there's a MDF drone on each level...
* Callisto Rift - I wonder what that valve on each level does...
* Callisto Mines - there's a point on the minimap when you enter...

If you want full spoilers, a dev interview was done on this version by BlindiRL which has a lot of details -

Good luck RNG!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Such a loaded update---greater still that, given the interview contents there...all signs point to the next ~3 updates stand to be Even Greater Still.

Which tracks given how much still remains on the Roadmap---but still~

I can't even begin to guess when The Secret will be communally unearthed given all the Dragonslayer intrigues back in DRL days..

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Smoke gets a buff because it's only mostly broken instead of completely broken like gas. I like this balance :v:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Had a bit of a different run as Army of Darkness marine where the game dropped me a regular 12gauge shotgun with the deadly modifier. The regular shotgun kinda sucks except that it has maximum range 7. Add in a stabilized mod and a long-range tracking mod on your helmet and you have a range 9 weapon that does damage out of LoS. Level 3 bloodhound gives you total radar vision and a haze rocket launcher helps you further obscure enemy LoS.

Powerful combination made out of a bunch of stuff I'd barely ever used.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Been playing this new update a bit I like the Callisto boss honestly.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lmao ok this challenge wasn't that bad at all I guess.
code:
Mark Taggart, level 17 Marine,
defeated the Harbinger against all odds.

He survived for 10166 turns.
The run time was 1h 53m 34s.
World seed was 8433.
He scored 4491 points.
He took MEDIUM risks.
He was an Angel of Vampirism!

Callisto Hub -> Mimir Habitat L1
Mimir Habitat L2 -> MDF Central
MDF Central - Cleared!
Europa Concourse - Low Power
EUROPA L5 -> Refueling Base
Refueling Base - found Wavesplitter
Refueling Base - Cleared!
IO L2 -> Io Black Site L1
Io Black Site L1 - The Hunt
Io Black Site L3 -> Black Site Vaults
Black Site Vaults - Cleared!

Awards
  Medal of Prejudice (+200)
   * Won with 100% kills
  CRI Star (bronze cluster) (+50)
   * 25+ kills without taking damage
  Blood Bronze Badge
   * Reach Io on Angel of Vampirism
  Blood Silver Badge
   * Complete Angel of Vampirism

He killed 541 out of 541 enemies.

38 former grunts           16 fire fiends
 15 corrupted grunts        25 ice fiends
 4  former CRI grunts       12 toxic fiends
 9  former grenadiers       14 CalSec sentries
 4  corrupted grenadiers    7  security sentries
 1  hellish grenadier       2  military sentries
 2  former CRI  grenadiers  4  CalSec bots
 16 former soldiers         4  security bots
 9  corrupted soldiers      2  military bots
 8  hellish soldiers        18 reavers
 1  former CRI soldier      16 cryoreavers
 2  CRI soldiers            15 toxic reavers
 11 former sergeants        34 archreavers
 3  corrupted sergeants     5  kerberi
 2  hellish sergeants       10 cyberi
 1  former CRI sergeant     3  cryoberi
 1  CRI sergeant            4  toxiberi
 24 former guards           3  medusae
 6  corrupted guards        2  archmedusae
 2  CRI guards              19 ravagers
 4  former commandoes       13 armored ravagers
 3  corrupted commandoes    1  siege ravager
 6  hellish commandoes      8  plasma ravagers
 2  former CRI commandoes   21 CRI marines
 2  hellish heavies         5  CRI bots
 2  former CRI heavies      8  guardians
 17 security drones         3  warlocks
 2  combat drones           2  MDF sentries
 38 fiends

Traits
  Ironman L1
  Furious L1
  Hellrunner L2
  Tough as Nails L3
  Rip and tear L2
  Army Surplus L1
  Cover Master L1
  Whizkid L1
  Angry Motherlover L1
  SURVIVOR L3

Trait order
  TaN->Hr->Cov->Iro->MSV->AMf->TaN->Arm->
  RaT->Whk->MSV->Hr->MSV->TaN->RaT->Fur->

Equipment
  Slot #1 : Wavesplitter
  Slot #2 : .44 JAC SMG B
   * Swap Harness
   * Splatter

Slot #3 : 7.62 pierce rifle
   * Anti-armor

Body : necrotic armor B
   * Fire-resistant
   * Swift
   * Necrotic

Head :  - NONE - 
  Utility : AV3 utility AMP
   * Tenacity
   * Adrenal

Relic : reaver's claw
   * Bloody Tears

Permanents
  Medusa's Curse
  CRI backpack

Inventory
  energy cell (x100)
  energy cell (x100)
  7.62 ammo (x100)
  7.62 ammo (x73)
  .44 ammo (x50)
  .44 ammo (x50)
  .44 ammo (x18)
  plasma grenade (x2)
  gas grenade (x3)
  krak grenade (x2)
  krak grenade (x1)
In absolute awe at how powerful wavesplitter is but also the tactical rifle which got me through Callisto and Europa. I think this is probably the only time the necrotic armor made sense because I killed things so fast. Incredibly stupid run after spending like a week at this game splattering regular guys on ultra violence. I know the skills are kinda weird but I had to change after finding wavesplitter which was a great idea to pick up.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Just finished an insane Jupiter Hell run where I was putting out 350 damage a turn at peak performance.
full morgue

code:
Mark Taggart, level 18 Marine,

He survived for 11629 turns.
The run time was 2h 52m 59s.
World seed was 9412.
He scored 4808 points.
He took MEDIUM risks.

CALLISTO L5 -> Military Barracks
Military Barracks - Cleared!
EUROPA L3 -> Conamara Chaos Biolabs L1
Conamara Chaos Biolabs L2 -> Containment Area
Containment Area - Cleared!
IO L3 -> CRI Laboratory L1
CRI Laboratory L2 -> CRI Armory
CRI Armory - Cleared!
CRI Armory - found Wavedancer
Dante Inferno - Cleared!
Dante Inferno - found BFT 10K

Traits
  Ironman L3
  Hellrunner L3
  Sustained fire L3
  Field Medic L2
  Angry Motherfucker L3
  ONSLAUGHT L3

Equipment
  Slot #1 : AV3 hyperblaster
   * Fresh Mag 4
   * Vampiric 2
   * Spin-up

Slot #2 : 7.62 gatling
   * Sustain
   * Peacekeeper
   * Spin-up

Slot #3 : BFT 10K
  Body : CRI combat armor
  Head : AV1 marine helmet PB
   * Durable
   * Danger Monitor
   * Auto-repair

Utility : AV3 auto AMP
   * Auto speed-loader
   * Auto booster

Relic : medusa's tentacle
   * Slithering
Note: medusa's tentacle means I'm at maximum dodge at all times (90), but start each floor at 20% health. Peacekeeper means the gatling gets +1 damage per kill, max of 5, until i reload. Just generated with Sustain.
https://jupiterhell.fandom.com/wiki/7.62_gatling

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Lawman 0 posted:

Lmao ok this challenge wasn't that bad at all I guess.

In absolute awe at how powerful wavesplitter is but also the tactical rifle which got me through Callisto and Europa. I think this is probably the only time the necrotic armor made sense because I killed things so fast. Incredibly stupid run after spending like a week at this game splattering regular guys on ultra violence. I know the skills are kinda weird but I had to change after finding wavesplitter which was a great idea to pick up.

BTW, Necrotic Armor is almost always worthwhile because it only drains HP if the armor needs a repair. Given how armor effectiveness in this game degrades linearly, keeping it at max durability is almost certain to save you HP in the long run.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just cannot get an AoB run started. How do you not just die on like floor 3 in an AoB run?

I just don't have enough resources to offset all the damage I'm taking.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I haven't done AoB in the new Callisto but I have finished it on UV before, basically you just need to try and ambush as much as possible. Close doors, stand in front of them and let enemies open them so you can step in and attack, remember you can melee without moving by holding shift. Also just ignore turrets, they aren't worth killing. Otherwise it's just a matter of being good at luring enemies into blind corners and doorways and knowing when to run away. Oh and make sure you have both a knife and pipe/wrench and swap between them depending on what you're fighting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dire Lemming posted:

I haven't done AoB in the new Callisto but I have finished it on UV before, basically you just need to try and ambush as much as possible. Close doors, stand in front of them and let enemies open them so you can step in and attack, remember you can melee without moving by holding shift. Also just ignore turrets, they aren't worth killing. Otherwise it's just a matter of being good at luring enemies into blind corners and doorways and knowing when to run away. Oh and make sure you have both a knife and pipe/wrench and swap between them depending on what you're fighting.

Knife is for enemies that will attack in melee, so not bots, right?

Also, I had no idea you could close doors. What button do you do that with?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Spacebar to close doors.

Melee guard affects all attacks coming from 4 tiles or less, so it works against ranged attacks too despite the name. Basically you want the knife most of the time for the extra defence. You want the wrench/pipe for anything with 21-30 health because then it will 1-shot where the knife won't. But you want the knife against bots because it does piercing damage which is 2x as strong vs armour.

e: oh and I'd definitely recommend marine for class, in my experience marine is the strongest melee class by a long way but vampyre is a trap, survivor is far stronger even for a melee build.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 25, 2022

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Jack Trades posted:

Knife is for enemies that will attack in melee, so not bots, right?

Also, I had no idea you could close doors. What button do you do that with?

The knife is even more so for bots because it does piercing damage which deals double damage to mechanical enemies, and it has melee guard which is important for reducing damage taken since it stacks additively with your evasion against enemies within 4 squares by default.

Pressing space while adjacent to an open door that's undamaged will close it, I don't think I've changed my controls.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dire Lemming posted:

Spacebar to close doors.

Melee guard affects all attacks coming from 4 tiles or less, so it works against ranged attacks too despite the name. Basically you want the knife most of the time for the extra defence. You want the wrench/pipe for anything with 21-30 health because then it will 1-shot where the knife won't. But you want the knife against bots because it does piercing damage which is 2x as strong vs armour.

e: oh and I'd definitely recommend marine for class, in my experience marine is the strongest melee class by a long way but vampyre is a trap, survivor is far stronger even for a melee build.

Einwand posted:

The knife is even more so for bots because it does piercing damage which deals double damage to mechanical enemies, and it has melee guard which is important for reducing damage taken since it stacks additively with your evasion against enemies within 4 squares by default.

Pressing space while adjacent to an open door that's undamaged will close it, I don't think I've changed my controls.
Okay, explain why I was having such a hard time. I was completely overlooking a bunch of mechanics. :downs:

Thanks.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've been checking out the other branches in Callisto since they adjusted them, and holy poo poo the mines are even worse than before. There's a single portal on each floor that spawns an exalted reaver to chase you down if you don't manage to rush it and close it immediately, and the reward floor is still suicidal with throwing arch reavers at you at the point where you might've just barely gotten a master trait. Valhalla still seems good though you have to intentionally trigger a bunch of lockdown waves to get loot from the end area, and the rift seems good if you're a technician and get toxicologist early since you can flood every floor + the end floors with gas clouds.
Mimir's new gimmick seems more effort than it would be worth on non scout runs, but the reward is pretty good for doing so.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 27, 2022

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The exalted portals are the gimmick objective for anomaly. Then there's another altogether whole huge secret in there, too.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Is it just me or are branch elevators supposed to spawn broken/carded without the associated tool/card ever spawning? I haven’t been able to enter Valhalla Terminal since the update, even after fully clearing the previous floors.

EDIT: As per tradition, after I post this Valhalla shows up unlocked as the second branch. I still don’t get why branches can be locked with no recourse other than “flavor”.

waddler fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 27, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

waddler posted:

Is it just me or are branch elevators supposed to spawn broken/carded without the associated tool/card ever spawning? I haven’t been able to enter Valhalla Terminal since the update, even after fully clearing the previous floors.

EDIT: As per tradition, after I post this Valhalla shows up unlocked as the second branch. I still don’t get why branches can be locked with no recourse other than “flavor”.

Are you reading emails? Sometimes you need to unlock those doors from a previous level.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Are you reading emails? Sometimes you need to unlock those doors from a previous level.

I might have overlooked those too. Right now I’ll just chalk it up as an unlucky streak.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

resistentialism, level 10 Scout,

He survived for 7167 turns.
The run time was 1h 53m 7s.
World seed was 7349.
He scored 4161 points.
He took MEDIUM risks.

CALLISTO L3 -> /snip
/snip
/snip
Purgatory - found Firestorm
Purgatory - found Denial

Awards
Medal of Prejudice (+200)
* Won with 100% kills
CRI Star (bronze cluster) (+50)
* 25+ kills without taking damage
Untouchable Ribbon (+100)
* Won taking less than 1000 damage

He killed 311 out of 311 enemies.

32 former grunts 22 toxic fiends
12 hellish grunts 1 CalSec sentry
4 former grenadiers 30 reavers
7 hellish grenadiers 4 toxic reavers
4 former soldiers 29 archreavers
20 hellish soldiers 3 kerberi
5 former sergeants 5 cyberi
8 hellish sergeants 10 toxiberi
4 former guards 6 medusae
21 hellish commandoes 6 ravagers
8 hellish heavies 4 armored ravagers
16 security drones 8 siege ravagers
20 fiends 3 plasma ravagers
26 fire fiends

Traits
Skilled L1
Dash L1
Hellrunner L3
Son of a Gun L1
Dodgemaster L1
GUNRUNNER L2

Trait order
Das->Hr->Hr->SoG->MGU->Dm->Hr->Skl->
MGU

Equipment
Slot #1 : 7.62 pierce rifle +
* Auto-calibrated
* Anti-armor

Slot #2 : JS 12ga super shotgun B
* Swap Harness
* JoviSec
* Rush 10
* Rinse, Repeat

Body : AV1 basic armor
* Swift

Head : combat helmet PA
* Danger Monitor
* Long-range tracking

Utility : AV3 auto AMP
* Auto precise
* Auto booster

Relic : archreaver's claw
* Acid dreams

Permanents
Catharsis

Inventory
12ga shell (x32)
7.62 ammo (x24)
gas grenade (x2)
krak grenade (x3)
krak grenade (x1)
CRI phase kit (x1)
small medkit (x3)

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Are blue key cards not guaranteed to drop in certain branches on Callisto? I've gone through multiple runs in which I didn't see the terminal option to trigger a security lockdown even once. Given the number of cards required to get all of the goodies/do all of the things at some branch ends, I'd think I'd see drops fairly frequently. Is there some way to get blue cards other than killing the enemies spawned when you start a lockdown manually at a terminal?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

They only drop in one Callisto branch which is the only place where they're used. The other branches have different gimmick objectives.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well having messed around with the Callisto branch changes more, I feel like Mimir and Valhalla are still the best but the other two have reasons to visit them. I think Mimir has the most reliable rewards with the MDF prototype crafting, Valhalla still has some decent reliable loot and disabling the spaceport boss is quite good, Rift feels only worthwhile on a tech that's grabbing toxicologist at level 3, and the Mines are interesting but the increased difficulty just doesn't really feel worth it unless you want to mess around with the super secret associated with it.

Unrelatedly I finally got around to finishing a UV run with fire angel and grenadier. Fire Angel seemed pretty good up until Dante at which point it fell off a cliff with all the warlocks and dangerous mechanoid enemies. Grenadier impressed me a fair amount, I'd probably consider it more often on tech runs if it wasn't locked behind the completely useless hoarder 1.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

resistentialism posted:

They only drop in one Callisto branch which is the only place where they're used. The other branches have different gimmick objectives.

I may be fuzzy or flat wrong, but I think one has an option to restart the system after shutting it down at the end of the branch that requires two-ish keys that I've never seen and another has some locked doors and the option to disable a specific enemy that needs like.. three keys? I always take one or the other branch and I've found keys twice in more than ten runs since the update.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

BrianRx posted:

I may be fuzzy or flat wrong, but I think one has an option to restart the system after shutting it down at the end of the branch that requires two-ish keys that I've never seen and another has some locked doors and the option to disable a specific enemy that needs like.. three keys? I always take one or the other branch and I've found keys twice in more than ten runs since the update.

The blue keycards only drop in valhalla terminal. Red keycards can drop anywhere.

Einwand posted:

Rift feels only worthwhile on a tech that's grabbing toxicologist at level 3

If you're a toxicologist you already have the special reward for finishing the rift objective.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I generally enjoy the Mines and the Rift the most (grenade launcher maybe slowly changing that).

Why? Big open fields of fire, not lovely half-cover couches everywhere. Doesn’t hurt that I always get a weapon amp at the Callisto Anomaly.

As I play mostly marines, Mirmir’s new bonus hasn’t endeared me much- had fun with a scout though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

This game kicks so much rear end.

Still figuring it out, "ruined" my most successful run by accidentally triggering the Purgatory thing. I was way too strong and got cocky

Hauki
May 11, 2010

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I was way too strong and got cocky

this sums up every run of mine so far

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I wish to apologize to the Callisto Rift, I didn't notice on a previous run that you could walk into the smoke in the end bunker and get permanent immunity to poison. The rewards might not be as specialized as the other branches but it gives you a bit of everything and poison immunity is extremely valuable.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

hmmm

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1.3 was exactly what early game needed, apparently, I'm enjoying this game a lot more again.

There's a lot more "Hmm, should I take this risk?" decisions early on when previously it was almost always "Yes, go and kill everything" no matter what.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Einwand posted:

I wish to apologize to the Callisto Rift, I didn't notice on a previous run that you could walk into the smoke in the end bunker and get permanent immunity to poison. The rewards might not be as specialized as the other branches but it gives you a bit of everything and poison immunity is extremely valuable.

Wait what? :stare:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you have to open the gas pipelines and sprint to the exit before they kill you, in the preceding levels

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Does this game work similar to its predecessor in having a pretty short standard game with a whole bunch of optional challenge modes to pump up the replayability? All the mentions of the "Angel of X" stuff suggests that. For whatever reason, those challenge modes didn't really do much for me in the original. It felt a little artificial, I guess.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yes, exactly that. A JH run is a bit longer / more involved than a DRL run, about 1 to 3 hours realtime depending on build and how long you stop and think.
The angel-stuff is still in there, and some more special types of challenges. Nothing is locked at the start except more difficulty options and more challenge modes, which you unlock by getting badges, just like in DRL.

If you don't want to do the special modes you can just ignore 'em without missing anything!

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Yeah I'll still grab the game. These guys deserve the price just for how much I got out of doomrl way back. Maybe the challenge stuff will click this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Only took me like 40 attempts to get a scout to level 6 on I. Now to see how scrappy gunrunner really is.