Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Samovar posted:

I never played SR2, but I remember how effective his work was in PanzerSkank and Kauboc's LP, making possibly one of the greatest LPs in existence. Sympathies to his family.

His work made my absolute favorite let's play ever possible. And I notice now and again that Kaubocs does editing on it when youtube fucks with it for whatever reason as the years go by.

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wow, I recently had the urge to play through the series again. That's a shame, RIP.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I didn't know idolninja personally, but I talked with him a few times and he came off as the absolute sweetest guy - very kind, very helpful. I remember thinking "good for him" when he got hired. I'm very sad to hear that he's passed. gently caress cancer.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Rest in peace IdolNinja. He took the time to address some modding issue for me years ago but havent been in contact with him in a while, this comes as a shock to me. I’m a big fan of the game cause of his mods.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 10, 2021

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
this sucks. he was good

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
loving hell... May he be at peace now.

The man was an inspiration, for sure. I'm glad he got to do what he was passionate for, at least.

gently caress Cancer.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Babe Magnet posted:

here's the old thread tag

I would love to see this revived for IdolNinja, no clue if it matters but I made this back in the day and definitely endorse using it for the "fundraising to gently caress cancer" idea

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
gently caress

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I'm the video editor at Volition. I've been good friends with Mike ever since I started working at the studio back in 2015. We'd hang out a lot to watch lovely movies and talk about anime. I don't think I'll meet anyone quite like him ever again. Dude was just so friendly and supportive. The front lobby at Volition has a bunch of memorabilia from the various games we've released in it, and there's an old promotional SR2 40 oz malt liquor there that I want to pour out for him sometime.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This is what happens when you ask for a "feel boss"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

signalnoise posted:

This is what happens when you ask for a "feel boss"

:perfect:

I forgot about Feel Boss, and now I never will again

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

IdolNinja gave me so many hours of joy with Gentlemen of the Row and Gentlemen of Steelport. Without him I probably would have given up on the whole franchise after an hour or so of struggling with that awful SR2 port.

RIP to the real boss.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Really sad. I rarely interacted with Idolninja but he was a sweet guy and always so helpful. This sucks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mike was such a nice dude. We'd chat every now and then on steam and he was very cool about my dumb questions and suggestions.

Pour one out for the realest one.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
Oh ok so idolninja dies from cancer... meanwhile the guy in my neighborhood that prints up posts from criagslist & staples 'em to telephone poles? Yeah he's walking around unscathed. That's what's doublebad about cancer, it has bad taste.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sending all my respect

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Late to post, but wanted to pay my respects anyway. Idolninja was one of the people who convinced me to go back to SR2 and give it a second shot. I ended up falling in love with it because of his work and the rest of the SR series. It helped me through some pretty dark times, and I should thank him for that.

Went from talented modder to community manager and was a good guy in a time where that is rare.

Pour one out for this loving Saint.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
My brother and I were just talking the other day about how much fun it was to hop in SR2 on our PCs and just goof around, and a big part of that was of course the Gentlemen of the Row mod. RIP to a real one.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
May packs of puppy trains bounce him to his rest.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
SR2 ended up being one of my fav games of all time, and it wouldnt even launch on my PC without his fixes

RIP to the canon boss

Mr. Fixit
Jan 28, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Has volition or deep silver announced any way to donate to his family?

No, but this is what went out internally.

quote:

If anyone is wanting to give to charity in honor of Mike, we've landed on:
https://carle.org/giving/where-to-give (Hospice who cared for Mike these last months)
https://www.girlsmakegames.com/individual-donor
https://puppet.org/
http://www.movingimage.us/visit/

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mr. Fixit posted:

No, but this is what went out internally.

Thank you.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I was just thinking of playing some SR2 this month. gently caress cancer! :argh:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

drat idolninja was cool and did some great stuff for saints. RIP man

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not only do I hope the new Saints Row is good, I hope they honor IdolNinja I a major way.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

obscenely late to this, though I did hear the news as it went out

it sucks big time. IdolNinja ruled. only had the pleasure to talk to him a few times. did get to meet him in person once. just a truly great guy.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah
poo poo, I had no idea until I opened this subforum that I almost never visit.

RIP, man. You did a great service to the gaming community, and I'm glad Volition seemed to appreciate the good work you did.

I hope someone else picks up the SR2 PC code, I know you were working on it after it was found. It'd be a fitting tribute.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

jbone posted:

I hope someone else picks up the SR2 PC code, I know you were working on it after it was found. It'd be a fitting tribute.

He already had other folks from the company ready to take over for him since he found out back in May that it was back.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

jbone posted:

poo poo, I had no idea until I opened this subforum that I almost never visit.

RIP, man. You did a great service to the gaming community, and I'm glad Volition seemed to appreciate the good work you did.

Yeah same. I knew his cancer was back, but I didn't know he passed until I came over here. That sucks massively, dude was putting in a ton of work trying to fix the 2 port despite everything. I do hope Volition finishes the work he put in and hopefully the PC port gets into a better place than it was/is years ago.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

oh no :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dammit. gently caress cancer.

He was responsible for me even bothering to try sr2, and it lead to some of the happiest moments of my life with me and the gf playing. Dude was a legend, and he will be missed.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I didn't know idolninja, but it sounds like he touched a lot of people's lives. I envy the passion and dedication of anyone who can consistently work to improve anything, even a game, without expecting compensation.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Saints Row thread was one of the best this forum ever did, idolninja was a huge part of why RIP to a real one and gently caress cancer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Never played this but I think I’ll check it. May he rest peacefully.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dunno who he is but, gently caress cancer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bring a little bit of good news:
https://twitter.com/DSVolition/status/1466695933207396359

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's really cool.

I'm glad you posted that because I've tried to write something in here a few times and sorta got overwhelmed, so instead I can just say that this is neat and cool.