Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Then they're objectively wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It makes sense if it's like... a tablespoon of mayo per serving

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Who What Now posted:

Why the gently caress would you put mayo in Mac and cheese in any quantity?

yeah to this day i've never seen anyone else do it but apparently it was her way of making it

as an anti mayo person i fully understand that lots of people like mayo and I've even come around to using some forms of it like ranch dressing as a marinade for grilled chicken or as a base for a breaded baked or air fried chicken

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mayo's magnitude in food weirds' compulsions is disproportionate to something that's just eggs, oil, and some acid.

And yet mac and cheese and mayo isn't something we should be in a hurry to serve.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have that gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. I don't ask for cilantro but if it's in my food I eat it anyway. :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Martman posted:

It makes sense if it's like... a tablespoon of mayo per serving

Yeah I could see mayo as being a milk alternative or something, to give the cheese sauce a bit of a thicker consistency or whatever, but it would need to be a very small amount to not be atrociously gross

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Robobot posted:

Oh! Hey Jakabite, were you a bizarre neocolonial ambassador from a dominant global power present in a nation they've hosed with for centuries to condescend some kind of aid? Because I thought you were just there to volunteer.

Despite the issues with programs like that, it was definitely one of the better ones and I do not feel I was a bizarre neo-colonial ambassador from a dominant global power present in a nation they’ve hosed with for centuries to condescend some kind of aid. If I gave the impression I was a a bizarre neo-colonial ambassador from a dominant global power present in a nation they’ve hosed with for centuries to condescend some kind of aid then I apologise

Yeah it’s far worse than just being a picky eater - he had had like one meal when Honduran good is pretty drat varied.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Sorry but I thought mayonnaise was literally in all "ol' grammy's special recipe" mac and cheese served at hipster restaurants? Or am I just going to the weird ones? The food truck in town run by the Master Chef season 7? winner definitely used it, and I think Hot Chicken Takeover touted it too. To give two examples of places nobody here can possibly know about but that have some level of credentials

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Luvcow posted:

as a kid i went to a bbq at a friend's house and grabbed a few scoops of what looked like good mac and cheese and then discovered it was made with a ton of mayo. his mom tried to make me eat it because "you took it so you should eat it".

Have you ever went over a friend's house to eat and the food just ain't no good? I mean the macaroni's soggy, the peas are mushed and the chicken tastes like wood. So you try to play it off like you think you can by saying that you're full, and then your friend says, "Mama, he's just being polite, he ain't finished, uh-uh, that's bull.” So your heart starts pumping and you think of a lie and you say that you already ate, and your friend says, "Man, there's plenty of food,” so he piles some more on your plate. But while the stinky food's steaming, your mind starts to dreaming of the moment that it's time to leave, and then you look at your plate and your chicken's slowly rotting into something that looks like cheese.

We’ve all been there at some point, right?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Man that song really takes you on a journey

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

You Are A Elf posted:

Have you ever went over a friend's house to eat and the food just ain't no good? I mean the macaroni's soggy, the peas are mushed and the chicken tastes like wood. So you try to play it off like you think you can by saying that you're full, and then your friend says, "Mama, he's just being polite, he ain't finished, uh-uh, that's bull.” So your heart starts pumping and you think of a lie and you say that you already ate, and your friend says, "Man, there's plenty of food,” so he piles some more on your plate. But while the stinky food's steaming, your mind starts to dreaming of the moment that it's time to leave, and then you look at your plate and your chicken's slowly rotting into something that looks like cheese.

I see you've eaten at Rueben's auntie's house as well. Her "cold cornbread salad"....

I still smell it sometimes, you know. When I'm frightened and alone my mind...my mind just goes there...

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

You Are A Elf posted:

:boom:

nostalgia

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

You Are A Elf posted:

Have you ever went over a friend's house to eat and the food just ain't no good?

Oh man I just remembered a thing like this, but 100% the opposite. I had a friend when I was a kid who was Indian. His parents were immigrants, but from upper class backgrounds and highly educated. They had a big house and far more money than my family.

But my friend had this thing where we never ate at his place. And it seemed to me like he spent effort to make sure we were never at his house at a meal time, or that I was exposed to his mom's 100% indian cooking. His mom was, from the 2 or 3 times I ever got the chance, a great cook. Those occasions were when she basically ambushed with dosas and indian snack food. Which I was super appreciative of and told her I really liked! But my friend seemed unhappy about it.

He ate dinner at my place fairly often. The only times I ever had a planned meal at his place were like birthday parties with other kids and the menu was pizza.

So now looking back there are all sorts of sad reasons for that, with him being a minority in a very non-diverse town and it being the 90s. But at the time, I kinda resented him for having great food at his house that I could never have!

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
maybe he didn't like the food

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

One time I was at my friends place and his dad served up a plate of chicken hearts piled high.

I think I managed to eat two...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

zedprime posted:

Mayo's magnitude in food weirds' compulsions is disproportionate to something that's just eggs, oil, and some acid.

I like mayo. Other people don't like it, and that's fine, but the performative hysteria a lot of people display over the existence of mayo is really tedious.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
with mayo it's not really the mayo itself that's the problem, it's how *much* mayo gets put on a sandwich that's often mind-boggling. it's like an ice-cream-scooper-sized glop and that turns my stomach. but spread it thinly on there for some moisture/texture? nom nom nom.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Devils Affricate posted:

Of course I wouldn't have the same reaction if I couldn't tell it was there. It's the food's interaction with my senses that makes me sick. This seems like a pretty obvious thing. If someone puts almond butter in something and it doesn't remind me anything of almonds, I don't give a poo poo.

Having never experienced it personally, it's just always been hard for me to wrap my mind around a food preference so strong it causes physical illness. These nuts/seeds are not spoiled, and their taste isn't especially strong. What if you just chewed and swallowed nuts/seeds a few times throughout a day in private until the improper gag reflex subsides, thereby curing yourself of a lifetime of weird public reactions to a common, nutritious and objectively inoffensive type of food?

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Any time I want food without a specific ingredient I just say I'm allergic to it so I don't have to deal with the sales pitch.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

with mayo it's not really the mayo itself that's the problem, it's how *much* mayo gets put on a sandwich that's often mind-boggling. it's like an ice-cream-scooper-sized glop and that turns my stomach. but spread it thinly on there for some moisture/texture? nom nom nom.

Firehouse Subs doles out the mayo with an actual firehose.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

My best friend growing up was SORTA like this, except he had a big family and not a lot of money, so often I COULDN'T stay for dinner (not enough food), but I'll tell you what, he friggin LOVED coming to my place (only child and my mom made some actual nice, and varied food that he never would have gotten a chance to eat at home, and as much as he wanted), and his eyes would get like saucers sometimes.
At the time we were young I never thought anything of it, it just how it was, but I think he truly grew up loving my mom for her cooking and the fancy snacks (Fresh fruit AND good cheese to eat while playing mario kart without 4 other screaming assholes running around?! is this heaven?!) :)

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 10, 2021

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

My best friend growing up was SORTA like this, except he had a big family and not a lot of money, so often I COULDN'T stay for dinner (not enough food), but I'll tell you what, he friggin LOVED coming to my place (only child and my mom made some actual nice, and varied food that he never would have gotten a chance to eat at home, and as much as he wanted), and his eyes would get like saucers sometimes.
At the time we were young I never thought anything of it, it just how it was, but I think he truly grew up loving my mom for her cooking and the fancy snacks (Fresh fruit AND good cheese to eat while playing mario kart without 4 other screaming assholes running around?! is this heaven?!) :)

Its from "Rapper's Delight" but the anecdote is very nice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

Its from "Rapper's Delight" but the anecdote is very nice.

welp

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

The one time I ate at my childhood best friend's house they had put macaroni in mashed potatoes. Somehow the combination of two completely common food item mixed together was too powerfully weird for me, and I never wanted to eat at their place ever again.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:lmao:

You’re alright, BBC :respek:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Doll House Ghost posted:

The one time I ate at my childhood best friend's house they had put macaroni in mashed potatoes. Somehow the combination of two completely common food item mixed together was too powerfully weird for me, and I never wanted to eat at their place ever again.

That is really weird though

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Doll House Ghost posted:

As someone who loves macaroni pies, this is still super weird and ngl sounds kind of dry. So many carbs ugh

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wendigee posted:

i used to have to eat salmon (with bones!) from a can that my mom would mix with some whisked egg and make into like a pancake... "salmon patties" she called them. they were served with mashed potatoes that had been formed and cooked into little patties as well.

i guess it was cheap and we were poor but i've hated it ever since then and im not about to change my mind.

it had like tiny hourglass/cylinders of bone that i can only guess were vertebrae from the shape and they tasted like chalk and ugh

Man this takes me way back, my mom did the exact same thing. Except I would come running into the kitchen like a cat when she had the can opener going on the salmon can because she'd pick out all the bones and put them in a bowl for me to eat. Love some canned salmon bones.

Luvcow posted:

yeah to this day i've never seen anyone else do it but apparently it was her way of making it

as an anti mayo person i fully understand that lots of people like mayo and I've even come around to using some forms of it like ranch dressing as a marinade for grilled chicken or as a base for a breaded baked or air fried chicken

A couple years back I was making a big batch of mashed potatoes for a potluck I was going to and realized too late there was no butter, sour cream, or plain yogurt in the house. So I started carefully mixing in mayo a tablespoon at a time until it tasted right. Turns out all the egg proteins in there gave it this great stretchy texture. Not like stiff peaks or anything, but there was kind of a body to it that I'd never experienced. So now I just skip the butter and make all my mashed potatoes with mayo.

Klyith posted:

Oh man I just remembered a thing like this, but 100% the opposite. I had a friend when I was a kid who was Indian. His parents were immigrants, but from upper class backgrounds and highly educated. They had a big house and far more money than my family.

But my friend had this thing where we never ate at his place. And it seemed to me like he spent effort to make sure we were never at his house at a meal time, or that I was exposed to his mom's 100% indian cooking. His mom was, from the 2 or 3 times I ever got the chance, a great cook. Those occasions were when she basically ambushed with dosas and indian snack food. Which I was super appreciative of and told her I really liked! But my friend seemed unhappy about it.

He ate dinner at my place fairly often. The only times I ever had a planned meal at his place were like birthday parties with other kids and the menu was pizza.

So now looking back there are all sorts of sad reasons for that, with him being a minority in a very non-diverse town and it being the 90s. But at the time, I kinda resented him for having great food at his house that I could never have!

I've got an Indian friend, and when he found out I liked Indian food in high school (boarding school), he gave me some of his mom's food that he'd brought back from the weekend. I raved about it so much that she would start sending him to school with containers of food just for me for the week. It became such a thing that we'd get together at his house just to eat his mom's food and eventually she gave me some lessons on cooking Indian food. I brought her a bunch of venison once and she showed me how to make venison curry and drat it was just the best.

There's a handful of vegetables that I used to think I hated until I realized I just didn't like the way mom cooked them. Brussels sprouts, lima beans, asparagus, the usual suspects. Mom was from the midwest and did her best to feed us healthy stuff with lots of vegetables, but she just was never exposed to many styles of cooking outside of what you'd find in a midwest kitchen in the 60s. And it didn't help that in a little southern town, fresh brussels, asparagus, spinach, peas weren't common at the grocery store (usually Walmart). So it was always boiled, and usually frozen or canned. The first time I had brussels sprouts that I liked was when my wife showed me how to properly sautee them and now they're one of my favorites.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 10, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Man this takes me way back, my mom did the exact same thing. Except I would come running into the kitchen like a cat when she had the can opener going on the salmon can because she'd pick out all the bones and put them in a bowl for me to eat. Love some canned salmon bones.
:staredog:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Doll House Ghost posted:

This reminds me of the time I agreed to eat at a very suspect lunch place in my hometown that had a little buffet section, and sight unseen I decided obviously the buffet was going to be good and I would get it. That is when I learned the "no, never get a buffet without looking at it" (nowadays, never get a buffet, obviously) rule. There was like a dry fried chicken breast and some ... fish? and a few other things, and honestly all I could find that looked servicable was a little dish of white bread, cottage cheese, and mashed potatoes. I decided I was going to invent the mashed potato and cottage cheese sandwich, instantly becoming 90 years old in the process. Honestly I think with the right seasonings you could really be onto something there (O.K. and you would ideally have, you know, chicken or a burger involved too if you were going to try to do it seriously [and yes I know there are going to be people here who gag over cottage cheese as it seems only about one level below mayonnaise])

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There's a handful of vegetables that I used to think I hated until I realized I just didn't like the way mom cooked them. Brussels sprouts, lima beans, asparagus, the usual suspects. Mom was from the midwest and did her best to feed us healthy stuff with lots of vegetables, but she just was never exposed to many styles of cooking outside of what you'd find in a midwest kitchen in the 60s. And it didn't help that in a little southern town, fresh brussels, asparagus, spinach, peas weren't common at the grocery store (usually Walmart). So it was always boiled, and usually frozen or canned. The first time I had brussels sprouts that I liked was when my wife showed me how to properly sautee them and now they're one of my favorites.
Midwestern moms ruining vegetables is about the only way my own mother raised me in a traditional fashion. You were never safe, either; I will never forget the time we went out and got a shitload of Indian food and then decided we would all have it again for lunch the next day, and she just ... dumped a can of peas into the leftovers before putting them in the microwave. I wish I could say we had a useful conversation about this, but between the literal brain damage and the supreme chaos agent energy there was no way to make progress in such a discussion

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I had a semi-forced acquaintanceship end explosively when I screamed at a guy after he took a fry off my plate after I told him I hated when people touched my food without asking. To his credit, he paid for my whole plate when I demanded that he do so. So yeah, don't touch my food without asking.

Also, despite having the cilantro soap gene, I like cilantro.

Enfys posted:

I like mayo. Other people don't like it, and that's fine, but the performative hysteria a lot of people display over the existence of mayo is really tedious.

Mayo is nice. So is ketchup. I'm not too good for either.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Having never experienced it personally, it's just always been hard for me to wrap my mind around a food preference so strong it causes physical illness. These nuts/seeds are not spoiled, and their taste isn't especially strong. What if you just chewed and swallowed nuts/seeds a few times throughout a day in private until the improper gag reflex subsides, thereby curing yourself of a lifetime of weird public reactions to a common, nutritious and objectively inoffensive type of food?

I end up eating nuts all the time, because like I said, nobody gives a poo poo. And I don't make a weird public reaction; I chew and swallow the bite I took because I'm an adult who can control himself, but the ordeal is very unpleasant to me. There's no way I can explain this to you if you don't have it.

Most people aren't too crazy about spiders crawling on them, even though the common house spider pretty much never bites humans, and even when it does, the venom is harmless. There's no rational reason to be alarmed if one crawls on you, so what's the fuss?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I always here now about kids getting 2 meals a day at school now. Breakfast included. We never had that in any of the schools I went to. It was just a lovely lunch.

My school's gave hot lunch to the kids that got to the school before the busses, so just the in town kids. I had an hour bus ride with a transfer and had to get on the bust at like 6:40 but the kids that had more free time got breakfast. It was a stupid system.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:hfive: early hour long bus drive buddy!

Yeah it loving sucked. I had sleep issues as a kid (and now) and it sucked waking up at 6am to being the first person to spend a hour on a bus going throughout the county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Who What Now posted:

Why the gently caress would you put mayo in Mac and cheese in any quantity?

I do, I'm also putting in hot sauce and other stuff, but it's a balance thing and just a preference of mine.