Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Here's what I looked like at in the 1980's:

Nowadays:

More details here: https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/the-sad-truth-about-weight-loss-5158e8ce042c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
What was it like entering the Amiga age

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

What was it like entering the Amiga age

It was a fun time. And coincidently it saved my rear end when Kotick took over Activision in 1991.

guitar-romantic
Sep 6, 2021

keys keys
You talk about foods you eat repetitively throughout the week. What are they?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

guitar-romantic posted:

You talk about foods you eat repetitively throughout the week. What are they?

So I make a dish with onions, mushrooms, peppers and nopal ... mix in some beans if I can find it, as a breakfast. Or I'll have a bagel with KiteHill almond cream cheese. Or overnight oats with fruit. Coffee with Oat Milk. Or avocado toast.

Dinner can be broccoli, quinoa, and that Trader Joes kale pesto stuff. Or Brown Rice, Black Beans and Kale.

It was easier when I spent the week in Los Angeles. I'd just go to the same places for my meals.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 6, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I can understand how a daily weigh in can not be for some, but it totally works for me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Cheesus posted:

I can understand how a daily weigh in can not be for some, but it totally works for me.

Weight Watchers specifically asks people not to do it.

What's fun is my daily weigh in can vary as much as 4lbs. in just one day. I mean morning to morning.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

What's fun is my daily weigh in can vary as much as 4lbs. in just one day. I mean morning to morning.

Yeah, I think they're really useful once you understand and accept this. Getting hung up on day to day fluctuations is pointless but it's hard to see the trend from the noise without daily weigh in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

I've started weighing myself daily and I've noticed the same thing. During peak Covid I shot up to 225 pounds. I'm 5 8. I've lost quite a bit of that since I started working out and playing sports again after getting vaxxed. I also restricted my diet a bit. I started all that about two months ago. I'm now down to anywhere from 207-211 pounds. I'm hoping to get below 200 by the end of the year. My strategy diet-wise has been to make dinners where I eat a lot of stuff and feel full but it's low calorie. So like, eating a big rear end salad with some meat. Stuff like that. You can make a giant filling salad and not have to worry about calories much with it as long as you don't slather it in condiments or what have you. And I don't eat lovely snacks any more.

I do allow myself one cheat day as well to eat trash if I want to, though I don't go too wild with it.

I feel like the key for me so far has been picking something I can stick with and still feel full/satisfied after eating. Diets that make you feel miserable might help you lose weight but you won't be able to keep up with that long term. The meals I'm making are keeping me satisfied while still enabling me to lose weight on conjunction with the exercise I'm doing.

We'll see how far it takes me with the weight loss. I'd like to get down to 180-190ish. I don't think I've been that light since my early/mid 20s. But even with the 15 pounds or so I've lost already I feel wayyyy better.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

This is my latest: https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/i-know-nothing-about-weight-loss-dont-follow-my-advice-d9228c38843d

I Know Nothing About Weight Loss, Don't Follow MyAdvice

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Am I understanding your blogs correctly that one of the things you're saying is, "I lost so much weight back in 1996 and I'm still occasionally overweight, but because I persist/use what I learned, I'm nowhere near as bad as was originally in 1996?"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

VideoGameVet posted:

That's totally normal. Weight gain/loss doesn't happen overnight, it's about where that 4lb range centers on over time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I wrote this about how I lost the weight, mainly by cycling a lot.

https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/cycling-is-my-kick-the-can-find-yours-4d8d0be66cbf

Also, here's me at 350lbs or so:

Yeah, I was huge.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Did you have anyone in a fat cohort try to discourage you from losing it?

How well did your skin bounce back?

How can I find pants that fit biker thighs while still fitting at the waist?

Did you/do you consume sugary drinks? Because they're the best thing in the world after a long ride but probably not the best for weight loss. How about alcohol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Decoy Badger posted:

Did you have anyone in a fat cohort try to discourage you from losing it?

How well did your skin bounce back?

How can I find pants that fit biker thighs while still fitting at the waist?

Did you/do you consume sugary drinks? Because they're the best thing in the world after a long ride but probably not the best for weight loss. How about alcohol?

>Did you have anyone in a fat cohort try to discourage you from losing it?

Turns out my wife at the time preferred large men (which wasn't the case when we met in college). Yes, she said "your weight was never an issue for me, I like large men." A few years after the dot-com crash we divorced and then a few years later she married a guy 4" shorter than I and over 300lbs.

>How well did your skin bounce back?

Amazingly well. Some loose skin on the thighs but not that bad.

>How can I find pants that fit biker thighs while still fitting at the waist?

In college when I was racing and had thighs bigger than my then 34" waist (my waist is 38" now) my mom would buy 38" sized slacks and have them tailored. Similar with shirts. Now I ride mainly in trail pants. They fit.

>Did you/do you consume sugary drinks? Because they're the best thing in the world after a long ride but probably not the best for weight loss. How about alcohol?

I gave up normal sodas back in 1986, gave up diet soda about a decade ago. I eat cliff bars on rides now (like the 125 miler I did about 2 months ago). Red wine occasionally. Huge coffee drinker (see sig), mainly with Oat Milk.
Lite beer which is like making love in a canoe. But now there's Hop Tea which has no sugar, just hops, tea, citric acid, and carbonated water. Tastes like a IPA, no calories.