Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Yet another LED TV has died; backlights have gone dark. Which components exactly are failing here? Manufacturers are obviously cutting corners and using the cheapest crap they can source. But what's the culprit here?

These simple TVs use a few strips of LEDs behind the screen. First one strip fails, then later the rest fail. Is this a Christmas bulb situation, where one LED dies and the whole strip fails? Are the LEDs themselves so cheap that they're failing?

My guess is no, it's a capacitor or little transformer somewhere that's failing, but in most cases the rest of the unit works -- the image is still there, just barely visible. So the main power supply and logic are still working.

How are manufacturers loving up something as simple and reliable as LEDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't know what might be wrong with your TV, but I have CRT televisions from the '80s and '90s in my house that still work (made in Japan). I also have a Panasonic plasma TV from 2005 that has well over 30,000 hours on it, and it still works great.

Most consumer products today are poo poo built with little regard for reliability, or even working properly out of the box. We seriously need some kind of regulatory body to make sure that consumer products meet a minimum standard for MTBF. I.e. no manufacturer should be allowed to sell a TV unless it's certified to have passed rigorous testing showing a MTBF > 10,000 hours and 1000 on/off cycles (for example).

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Maybe it's the wiring in your house?

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
It's always a possibility but I think unlikely. I'm not expecting actual troubleshooting assistance; more curiosity at the micro level about what exactly is failing when today's cheap TVs die like this.

I've also got plenty of old electronics, including CRT TVs, that still function. We speak so often about manufacturers using cheap components today to save money, but what components exactly? What's different in my dead LED TV today from my CRT TV from 1990 (aside from the CRT itself of course)?

I know capacitors are one area of cheapness; each is a complex soup of chemicals mixed just so and formed into various specifications. The cheap crap ones have poor heat tolerance and fail quicker.

I suppose tiny junk capacitors embedded in the LED strips could explain their failure. Could it be something else also? I guess it must be possible to manufacture LEDs themselves so poorly and cheaply that they can fail as well?