Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

getting to the last few eps of aus survivor and it's getting real good —— honestly been all killer since around the merge, after a bit of a slow start/getting used to the slower pace

i guess seasons 5 and 6 are also on paramount plus, is there consensus on which of those is better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I just did a free trial of paramount plus and they don’t have an app for my tv rip

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

getting to the last few eps of aus survivor and it's getting real good —— honestly been all killer since around the merge, after a bit of a slow start/getting used to the slower pace

i guess seasons 5 and 6 are also on paramount plus, is there consensus on which of those is better?

Season 5 is All Stars and you DEFINITELY want to hold off until you've watched the previous 3 seasons. They'll be up on Paramount Plus later this month if you can wait a bit. I also just joined a survivor facebook group that has videos of all Australia and South Africa if you can't wait a bit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Speaking of Australian Survivor... Their Blood Vs Water season premiers January 31st and features Sandra and her daughter. 47 days, 12 pairs, 1 Survivor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPS4aKrY2Q

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Speaking of Australian Survivor... Their Blood Vs Water season premiers January 31st and features Sandra and her daughter. 47 days, 12 pairs, 1 Survivor...

How do I watch it as it airs if I am in the US?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

blue squares posted:

How do I watch it as it airs if I am in the US?

I'm not sure if Paramount Plus is planning on picking up episodes as they air. You might be able to use a VPN and play the episodes on 10play. The past seasons they have made it too difficult to watch the show in a supportive / legitimate way though... So I have always just :filez: it and felt kind of bad because it's a show I would actually like to support...

Edit NordVPN appears to be working with 10play, so might be easier this season.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 6, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

The latest SA season has a phenomenal cast. Also, I looked up how much money they win and it's not even $100k USD which is wild. It's like 65k.

I wonder if they could get away with a season where there's no monetary reward at all. Just the title of sole survivor and a chance to get a flattering edit on TV. On one hand, gently caress that who would ever bother... but on the other I feel like this would speak to a certain type of players who would generate a lot more competition, drama, and animosity than a bunch of people who all know they are wanting that cheddar and you can write it off to some degree when there are transgressions. Without the prize money seems like any dick move would be forced to be taken much more personally.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

I wonder if they could get away with a season where there's no monetary reward at all. Just the title of sole survivor and a chance to get a flattering edit on TV. On one hand, gently caress that who would ever bother... but on the other I feel like this would speak to a certain type of players who would generate a lot more competition, drama, and animosity than a bunch of people who all know they are wanting that cheddar and you can write it off to some degree when there are transgressions. Without the prize money seems like any dick move would be forced to be taken much more personally.

I've heard good things about the fanmade Survivor Maryland. I imagine there is no cash prize. I've never watched it, but that could be a good example of how that would look.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

God, i hope they bring this to Paramount+ fast.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I used NordVPN with Tenplay to watch the first AUS season. I imagine 10play will have it up much faster than Paramount Plus will.

Check out the facebook group "The Tribe Has Spoken". They've got a LOT of videos and information up. Far more effective than trawling the depths of Bittorrents.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone else not at all excited about Sandra coming back? She was insufferable in her most recent appearance

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I like Sandra but it's very funny to cast her on the most physically taxing version of Survivor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

is there an amazing race thread and I'm just missing it or did nobody make one

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

I was about to ask the same thing

Gonna be wild seeing what happens with a drat two year break

Will all the people still be talking to their partners even

Also holy poo poo the French train terrorist stopper dudes are a team

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I've heard good things about the fanmade Survivor Maryland. I imagine there is no cash prize. I've never watched it, but that could be a good example of how that would look.

this would've been fun in college, but this formula cuts out the survival and hunger and away from home aspects.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

blue squares posted:

Anyone else not at all excited about Sandra coming back? She was insufferable in her most recent appearance

Yes but I found her insufferable an appearance or two prior to the most recent one already.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Sandra is 100% there just to give her daughter a chance to play. She knows she's toast lol.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I was busy :kiddo:

I made a thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990108

Studio fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 7, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

yay!

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Khanstant posted:

I wonder if they could get away with a season where there's no monetary reward at all. Just the title of sole survivor and a chance to get a flattering edit on TV.

Maybe in Japan, where the culture is basically that for civilian competitions. Winning Sasuke for example brings no financial reward, just glory.

(The only civilian game show here, Panel Quiz Attack 25, finally ended its run last year, so there are now no shows on TV here where civvies can win money. It's a weird feeling seeing, to use a very recent example, ____Hikakin____ win the most recent Tosochu by a hair's breath and get ~$15K even though they clearly don't need the money.)

Knowing Japan though they would probably play with celebrities anyway since most civvies probably couldn't clear their schedule for a month to compete.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Apparently there are 4 seasons of Japanese Survivor. Watching foreign survivor seasons is always a crapshoot but found a compilations clip indicating some classic survivor social drama in swing. I think I'd watch whole season.

Posting because I got a news card this morning about fans trying to raise 100,000 bucks for Xander through GoFundMe or something because they're so distraught he lost. Their own sia/fan fav prize I guess but it got shut down once because the people running it were confused and thought they needed Xander's permission, but actually don't I guess, so they put up another one while refunding the last one.

Sad anyone's fired up about bland van xan enough to try and throw their own money at him about it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Don't you get a decent-sized cheque for coming top three?

I mean, people can spend their money how they want, but that's pretty weird. Trying to imagine being a Survivor finalist and someone dropping an unasked-for six figure cheque in my lap. Not sure it feels great.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, GoFundMe for Xander doesn't make much sense. Australia threw together a similar crowdfunded reward for Luke but that made sense because a) Luke is hilarious and b) He seems a genuinely good dude and c) he's trying to raise two kids who are on the spectrum and his family really, really could use a break.

I'm watching Survivor AUS 2017 right now and its another great cast. AK and Locky and Henry and Jericho and Tara and - just a damned good time

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, GoFundMe for Xander doesn't make much sense. Australia threw together a similar crowdfunded reward for Luke but that made sense because a) Luke is hilarious and b) He seems a genuinely good dude and c) he's trying to raise two kids who are on the spectrum and his family really, really could use a break.

I'm watching Survivor AUS 2017 right now and its another great cast. AK and Locky and Henry and Jericho and Tara and - just a damned good time

Well, what Australia did was pretty much exactly the same thing US Survivor did for Rupert. Create a bonus fan favorite award basically just because he didn't win but he really made the 2 seasons he was on special.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Sand Monster posted:

Details please. Was he the victim of a Catfish?

He sent in his buddy, BB's Cowboy. https://heavy.com/entertainment/big-brother/michael-cowboy-ellis-russell-hantz-james-huling-catfish/

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

New season March 9th. :toot:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

New season March 9th. :toot:

Too far off

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
That's what Australian Survivor is for, assuming there's a non-annoying way to watch it from America.

I will watch it and root for Sandra until she is booted in episode 1 or 2, because somehow the Sandra Bench strategy doesn't seem viable in AUS's super strength-forward thinking.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Celery Jello posted:

That's what Australian Survivor is for, assuming there's a non-annoying way to watch it from America.

I will watch it and root for Sandra until she is booted in episode 1 or 2, because somehow the Sandra Bench strategy doesn't seem viable in AUS's super strength-forward thinking.

The promo has a weird shot of her working out in a gym, so maybe her strategy this time is going to be to suddenly show up as a ripped challenge beast?

(That would rule.)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’m excited for the complete screen time hog Sandra will be for the first three episodes before she gets booted.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

First three seasons for Aussie Survivor will be up on Paramount Plus next week, so that's six total seasons for fans to enjoy before March.

Plus each season is a loving MARATHON, with around 26 episodes each season. Buckle up, kiddos.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Between Big Brother and Survivor, their last seasons both featured all African-American alliances - one was successful because it stuck together despite the internal differences, one crumbled because they turned on each other. I wonder if this is going to lead to the opposite intended effect of CBS new approach to casting, where if you see more than 1 person from a minority group you are going to assume that they are all working together and will stick by each other to the end, so you end up with more targeting of minority players than before, but now it’s going to be for genuine tactical reasons, instead of latent social reasons.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It is not hard to imagine they become the new women's alliance. Not a huge concern as long as they keep the casting levels up imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is groups always got broken up like that even if it wasn't overtly stated. Like yeah, it might be a justification for people and you'll see a lot of the "the real racists" kind of commentary from some people. But you can't control that. Just keep casting better and make it not so unique for four black people to be like "woah, there's enough of us for an alliance!"

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Watching season 4 of Aussie survivor and it’s kicked steady rear end, on the whole better than recent American survivor by a long shot, but what the gently caress was that “instead of a normal tribal council the other tribe can snag Shaun, the obvious choice, so we can get that sweet Dave confrontation” twist!?

Even though I was rooting for that to happen, that’s some of the most obvious meddling I’ve seen, in an otherwise really good and bullshit-free season.

Absolutely enjoying otherwise though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The most important thing to know about Aussie Survivor is that Australian tv networks need to air a required amount of Australian based TV to qualify for tax breaks and airtime.

So every single reality show is like twice the length. I think Survivor AU generally handles it pretty well, but its definitely the equivalent of bringing in non-elimination legs to Amazing Race

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I remember listening to a podcast that was taking ideas for the best way to get the required episodes for an Australian season. It was about 90 mins long and then someone suggested just casting two extra people . Amazing that no one thought of that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cast bios for next season!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who is your hero and why? Elon Musk

not the person I'd guess from their portraits, that's for sure

lordy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

My faith gives me an advantage because I can rely on God when I am weak and ask Him for guidance.

God always meddling in Survivor because of one of these paladins around! Tori is my pre-season Poison.

Think I'll root for Lydia, aspiring comedy writer with kristin wiig as her hero, who I like much more than elon musk or strangers' parents.