Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

That’s it??? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

All I want is a new 16" MBP. I knew it was unlikely, but dammit Apple.

The MBP refresh never happens at the iPhone event!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Three Olives posted:

Was this an advertisement for Apple products or California?

Yes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The MBP refresh never happens at the iPhone event!

Look man they make the rules they can change the rules.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why did people expect Apple to switch to USB-C?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Yes

Edit: lol beaten.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AlternateAccount posted:

I would pay money to hear Tim tell me about how booty shots and diet shaker drink ads are improved with the new iPhone

joking aside, iPhones get used for a lot of pro pickup shots, but that’s the sort of thing where somebody slides 1 or 2 in along with a collection of DSLR/mirrorless shots and hopes that nobody notices

they have totally killed the market for poo poo like Ricoh GRs and other “prosumer” point-n-shoots, which is all anybody could/should ever want

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

But the chip shortage. :ohdear:

Apple insulated themselves by buying years worth of TSMC focus. Any company left over after them and the US Gov bullying them to make chips for US automakers are the ones to worry about.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The distinction of the pro-ness in a light feature year.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Everything except iPhones are using USB C so its a weird product segmentation that they refuse to get rid of.

Just let me use a USB C cable to connect my iPhone to my Macbook wth Tim Apple

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Just lol if the color of the phone matters at all for more than a few minutes before you dump the camera into a case.

THEY MAKE CLEAR CASES DOOMTRAIN I HAVE ONE ON MY BLUEPHONE RIGHT NOW HA CHECKMATE

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That blue is great. It reminds me of the beauty of cologne bottles, and makes me wonder, what the heck is so pleasant looking about this drat cologne bottle? I am looking like a real weirdo in this CVS right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

enojy posted:

That blue is great. It reminds me of the beauty of cologne bottles, and makes me wonder, what the heck is so pleasant looking about this drat cologne bottle? I am looking like a real weirdo in this CVS right now.

are you high? whenever I do that it’s usually because I’m high

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I am confused that they showed the cinematic mode, it clearly doesn't work. The edge blurring was terrible, the video looked noisey and desaturated, the racks were all late. I guess you gotta go with 'something' when it's this lean of a year but still kind of jarring to see them showing stuff that looks clearly bad/wrong. The entire thing could have been 'we added promotion' and that's basically it. I think it's crazy everything hasn't moved to FaceID yet.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SpicyPete posted:

Everything except iPhones are using USB C so its a weird product segmentation that they refuse to get rid of.

Just let me use a USB C cable to connect my iPhone to my Macbook wth Tim Apple

I think at this point they will go cordless before they go USB C.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Everyone rumored about a pitch black iPhone Pro. That also didn't happen.

Zero One posted:

I think at this point they will go cordless before they go USB C.
I don't see that happening, if they keep hyping the iPhone Pro as movie machine.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Apple has far too many photographers and wannabe cinema people working for them when the camera takes up 90% of the feature time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

particle9 posted:

I am confused that they showed the cinematic mode, it clearly doesn't work. The edge blurring was terrible, the video looked noisey and desaturated, the racks were all late. I guess you gotta go with 'something' when it's this lean of a year but still kind of jarring to see them showing stuff that looks clearly bad/wrong. The entire thing could have been 'we added promotion' and that's basically it. I think it's crazy everything hasn't moved to FaceID yet.

Because the people they are marketing towards don't have an eye for those things and/or don't care.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cool they put a >60hz screen on the 13 pro, i might actually consider an iphone when that filters down to the cheaper models around 2024-2025

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welp, holding on to my XS for another year.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One things for sure, there's literally no reason to upgrade if you have a 12 or an X or whatever, I think I might be in the category of people who will upgrade because my phone is gonna be obsolete

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yep, this feels like less of an upgrade than the 11pro -> 12pro and that's a pretty crazy feat to achieve!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Now the phones and the very cheapest iPad have Lightning :lol: Actually kinda glad that I have a prehistoric Pro from the Lightning era rather than buying in fresh with a budget iPad today because I can keep one cable for charging both things for a while longer.

Ah who am I kidding I'm probably leaving iPhone again soon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Al-Saqr posted:

One things for sure, there's literally no reason to upgrade if you have a 12 or an X or whatever, I think I might be in the category of people who will upgrade because my phone is gonna be obsolete

Yeah, I recently upgraded from the 8 to the 12 Pro, and was worried because I completely forgot the 13 was coming. Turns out I'm alright.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Three Olives posted:

California is an Apple product. That's why it's so expensive and difficult to repair the broken bits.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everyone rumored about a pitch black iPhone Pro. That also didn't happen.
No bronze either. Was looking forward to seeing that.

I guess this is the problem when you have one (Ukrainian) website “leak” something, which feeds an echo chamber of Apple fan websites that signal boost it into space, when in the fine print it’s all derived from one - possibly trolling - source.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Apple has far too many photographers and wannabe cinema people working for them when the camera takes up 90% of the feature time

I mean, there’s a browser, and there’s a camera, and there’s social media if you do that poo poo. You watch videos and listen to audio. Maybe you message/call people.

What else is there?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Yeah there’s not really much to talk about if you ditch all the cinematography guff. Reveal would’ve been like 2 minutes long, and that’s counting the presenter pacing from side to side several times.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, there’s a browser, and there’s a camera, and there’s social media if you do that poo poo. You watch videos and listen to audio. Maybe you message/call people.

What else is there?

"Our most advanced Taptic Engine ever can now bring you to organism in as little as 3 minutes with our A15 Bionic neural engine technology."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Durzel posted:

Yeah theres not really much to talk about if you ditch all the cinematography guff. Reveal wouldve been like 2 minutes long, and thats counting the presenter pacing from side to side several times.

They should have Yolo'd the pro line and dumped an M1 chip into the phone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

pretty telling that people say this like it’s a bad thing

I switched from a 6S to a 12 Pro last year and that felt like a nice change in most respects. I have zero interest in changing until a similar amount of time has passed and that actually rules

Craptacular! posted:

Ah who am I kidding I'm probably leaving iPhone again soon.

loving why tho? Like as much as this sucks(?) it’s still better than literally any Android

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

pretty telling that people say this like its a bad thing

I switched from a 6S to a 12 Pro last year and that felt like a nice change in most respects. I have zero interest in changing until a similar amount of time has passed and that actually rules

The technology gap is narrowing year after year which is nice. No longer does a single year, let alone 3 or 4 years feel that much different than when going from say, an iPhone 4 -> 4s was.

Ok Comboomer posted:

loving why tho? Like as much as this sucks(?) its still better than literally any Android

Anroid is the best way to see exciting new bugs and dumb decisions!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ok Comboomer posted:

loving why tho? Like as much as this sucks(?) it’s still better than literally any Android

I like the look of Android 12 and want to run the kind of programs that Apple only lets in by accident. The way they stepped up to the plate hard against sideloading makes it clear I should stop supporting them because that's the only way I'm going to get NewPipe, apps that let me manage torrents on a local PC (which Apple finds as forbidden as running a torrents on the actual phone), browsers with full extensions support, etc.

On top of being the kind of nerd who runs GUI-less Linux and and Kubernetes inside the home, I used to use Android for five years so there's not much shock in moving back and forth.

EDIT: I guess I should also clear up that I'm using the SE iPhone so it's not like the Pro where you literally Can't Find A Better Phone.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 14, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They should have Yolo'd the pro line and dumped an M1 chip into the phone.
Isn't the M1 just an A1x with more IO?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Isn't the M1 just an A1x with more IO?

And 8/16GB of ram yeah.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

pretty telling that people say this like it’s a bad thing

I dont think it's a bad thing, I'm also switching from a 6s to a 13 pro so I'm looking forward to the nice changes and overall upgrade.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

On top of being the kind of nerd who runs GUI-less Linux and and Kubernetes inside the home
lmao u are not exactly tim apple's target demo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Underwhelming but I'll probably get a 13 Mini eventually if it's true that Apple will do away with that size with the 14s. I really like it.:smith:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

nexxai posted:

lmao u are not exactly tim apple's target demo

Are there any successful Linux phones?

Yes I know Android is technically Linux, but you know what I mean.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh, why no airpods. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any successful Linux phones?

Yes I know Android is technically Linux, but you know what I mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KaiOS