Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Moola posted:

it is genuinely hilarious how many times SE has self owned Sideshow Bob style, Spirits Within and FFXIV 1.0 being the most obvious examples

also, consider that apparently some of the sub fee profits from FFXIV go toward funding new games. So while 14 is raking in money, it sometimes is just directly funnelled down the toilet to make the videogame equivalents of The Room, with The Quiet Man and then Balan Wonderworld lol

Wasn't FFXI a massive loss too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can't believe anyone doesn't even clue on to the mod named Jorp, the short hand for Jordan Peterson a favorite alt right "intellectual"

It's definitely a stretch but that mod sounds exactly like the same kind of person who loses their poo poo when there's a trans character in a video game and screams about politics.

There's no defending it, but it's a mod not a company exec, and they've got to get some poo poo figured out real quick because gamers are the spiciest online space for people to review bomb over "politics"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i will not be in that chat, because i love politics, sexuality, fetishes, harassing other players, advertising, and things like that

you don't need a discord mod, you need a discord mod

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

woah, no politics please

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

moonmazed posted:

yeah this may be the least surprising thing about the whole mess

Don't most of the SV techbros basically hedge their bets and donate to both?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's definitely what happened.

They literally published an article titled "a judge told us to take this down, we said gently caress no"

Didn't help when some C exec said on the stand he would consider all celeb sex tapes newsworthy and when asked what age cutoff he thought was appropriate he said 6 years old.

Edit: Correction, it was the main editor and he said 4 years not 6.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone in the Steam thread posted that Embracer is friendly with 8chan, wtf that is that about?

Apparently it's from a relatively recent AMA on that website, which holy gently caress how would that pass legal/marketing approval?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Famously they said TR2013 and Sleeping Dogs underperformed while specifically not counting digital sales at all (where both games did quite well on Steam)

There was a powerpoint slide or something leaked from that year's presentation that said all three major games, Sleeping Dogs, TR2013, and Hitman I think, were failures for not selling more then 5 million copies each. Which was an insane sales projection at the time. TR and Hitman had both sold a franchise record and Sleeping Dogs was a new IP that sold several million.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

This is a terrible analogy. Art deserves to be preserved. Old video games, not so much.

We've reached a point in society that digital preservation is almost costless and while of course there are concerns that nothing on physical data medium will last more then 50-100 years there's no reason not to at least make an attempt. Let people in 40-50 years who are trying to figure out permanent ways to save game roms like embedded in DNA crystals decided what is worth saving.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

They're reading the chart wrong (and cropped out the correct key). This is what the chart is actually measuring:

All I'm reading from that is there is a lack of diversity of people from a big number socio-economic background.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

Every single tank is straight (or, more likely, "assumed straight because nobody added diversity points there yet").

A gay tank would probably bring too much bear energy to the paradigm, blowing their diversity spirograph up and making their metrics go nuts.

This entire conversation honestly seems like the plot premise of an episode of Always Sunny.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

We must imagine Grape Ape happy

God forbid we anger Rapier Ape

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I don't think it's much of a stretch to conclude that a lot of executives in gaming view people who play video games as a buncha dumb-as-dirt sheep who'll clap for anything they announce as long as it has the title of a popular thing on it, and are continually flabbergasted when that doesn't happen

The c suite at ubisoft almost shut down AC odyssey because they said no one would want a game where the main character is a woman.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

Cool that one major website has clocked onto the fact that active moderation makes their communities better

I'm sure somewhere there was a champagne bottled popped when the news circulated that Twitch took down the Buffalo shooter's stream in like 2 min but facebook left it up for 12 hours.

The goal now for these places seems to be "don't be like facebook"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The real problem is having all white teams who add something like "bonobo" with literally no awareness of the racial implications and then say it can be simply passed off as a mistake.

Even if it's an accident, it speaks to deep institutional issues with these companies who think that simple performative woke tweets is sufficient to any racial diversity or training.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is A-B trying to just push through the social media wave of #metoo and pretending it doesn't exist? I can't see their game sales ever taking a hit over this behavior and the kind of people who would believe those statements are also the same kinds of people who would laugh at the accusations and say the victims deserved it.

Diablo Immortal is going to make Fortnite money for them so it seems like management culture is basically bulletproof at this point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Get the gently caress outta here with that poo poo. You only really need to read like four tweets in to start seeing racist poo poo. If you’re too lazy to give a poo poo about racism that’s fine, dont belabor everyone else to help you sift out the really juicy racist bits. Like what the gently caress dude.

The context of throwing actual real racist stuff in with "doesn't like my game site" does a lot to damage the credibility of the person making the accusations and is a fair point to make. A lot of people are going to check that out at the surface level and when they start seeing things that are a massive stretch will be more willing to disbelieve or disregard the 'smaller' amount of real stuff.

Twitter is also hellishy bad for any long-form presentation and yet people still keep dumping this poo poo in 1/XX tweets and expecting people to care after the first 3-4 posts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't have a problem with MTX for things that are 100% cosmetic and do not impact the gameplay experience in any way. If they keep adding content they can charge for it as long as the don't materially diminish the value of the original game purchase.

I will say that they are going as hard as they can on the marketing/ad end of it to encourage consumption but at that point you may as well just blame capitalism as a whole.

In the end, the model has and always will be geared towards the 1-2% of the playerbase that is spending thousands of dollars a year.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Smash Bros probably has the worst scene of any competitive game at this point. The fighting game community originally kept them out over snobbery, but these days it's because half the big players are rapists and their fans defend them.

Originally lots of reasons, including a massive East/West rules split that got extremely hostile and chronic issues with both competitor and attendee hygiene.

I didn't know the community was rallying around, I thought when it started a few years back they were getting ran out pretty quickly once it was revealed. The stuff coming out was insane, like the 23 year old female competitor who was grooming the 14 year old player for several years.

This was the first link I could find, and it really captures a lot of what is wrong with the community,

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/13935/cinnpie-responds-puppeh-smash-bros

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 25, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Also, lets not pretend like the Smash community is some unique outlier. I think Evo just got cancelled outright over chronic sexual abuse issues.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

How is that possible? That's literally an entire brand new game dev time, from start to finish.

I read the article, and the whole thing stinks. The lead firings were apparently unexpected. The article mentions a few sources who seem to think maybe the demo they finished was too little and too expensive for what the suits wanted done, but the difference between Aspyr telling it's business partners 2022 and the actual devs saying "more like 2025" is a massive gulf.

Really think that Aspry management was loving around and is close to finding out via taking a huge financial hit.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 29, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wait, wasn't FF11 also a massive disaster at launch?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

If you want a sarcastic piss-take on the whole thing (not inaccurate, mind you, but definitely taking the piss), there's Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 in a nutshell by Trueblade Seeker. It isn't as accurate or detailed as the excellent noclip documentary, but on the other hand it's only eight and a half minutes long.

But, yeah, a lot of FF14v1's fuckups come down do "people will no longer tolerate antagonistic, belligerent, deliberate time-wasting bullshit like they did when FF11 came out, the bar has gone up and you need to adjust."

Enough people will for nostalgia sake, and the WoW 1.0 server is insanely popular with a small but dedicated fanbase, but when the idea of a FF14 1.0 server was mentioned once the dev laughed and said no loving way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is, uh pretty weird.

EVGA is basically axing their core business? Blaming Nvidia as being too difficult to continue working with?

Can't get a good read on it yet, gonna take a while to figure out what is going on wrt each company and who's loving up hard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tweet is hidden

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

i feel bad for this kid because hes said hes like, 18, and seemingly thinks hes such a cool hacker that he'll be fine

the leak was one thing but if heactually did sell the code then hes going to jail forever

Reminded of that guy who "hacked" Sarah Palin's emil account by just guessing the answers to her security questions and was threatened with 50 years in prison. Only got 1 year but still that's insane for just guessing someone's password.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gross

quote:

Streamers sometimes give their ages explicitly, as happened in April, when two girls appeared sitting on a couch eating ice cream. A viewer asked how old they were, and they replied they were 12 and 13. In another instance, a child said she’s 8 and lives in Florida.

Children on Twitch often mimic their favorite gaming streamers, responding to comments and prompts by their viewers in order to keep their audience engaged. This makes young streamers susceptible to predation because viewers can communicate through text anonymously with broadcasters who are on live video.

In September, a girl who said she was 9 streamed on Twitch alone in her room using a smartphone. A viewer entered her chat room within the first minute of her broadcast and asked if she’s a girl. Then the person said, in Spanish, “Show your butt to prove it.” Three minutes later, the viewer said, “I want to see your underwear.” Throughout the livestream, the viewer repeatedly threatened to leave if she did not perform to meet his demands.

It’s possible some of the accounts believed to be adult predators are actually kids, but the behavior exhibited by many members of this group follows typical grooming techniques. Some use the same tactics on multiple streams, even seconds later. They can start out by asking innocuous questions about a child’s favorite color and work their way to demands for live sexual acts.

Some predatory viewers send messages in Twitch’s text chat that appear to look like donations to the children — a popular monetization feature on the platform — in an effort to coerce them into sexual acts.

Twitch is probably just the face of the problem being the biggest streamer app. This must be an issue in general for any service that let's people live-stream from a device.

edit: lol my bad

quote:

There are few barriers to prevent kids from livestreaming on Twitch, particularly on mobile. Whereas a new Twitch user can begin streaming live immediately, doing so on YouTube’s mobile app requires the person to have at least 50 subscribers and wait at least 24 hours. TikTok requires creators to be over 16 and have at least 1,000 followers. Facebook has no age or follower requirement for livestreaming on mobile, according to the company, but unlike Twitch, new users must connect a phone number or email address and validate their accounts.

loving race to the bottom poo poo right there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's possible there are some NDA or anti-disparagement clauses at work. Estonia is also a tiny country so it's possible that if any of them want to work in games development again their options are very limited wrt the suits/money people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
People have been saying since the early days of the VR headsets that adoption at the standard price point, even at the time being ~$700, priced it well out of anything but the dedicated tech enthusiast market.

They can push the idea of metaverse enterprise stuff as much as they want, but compared to a $20 webcam and Zoom the infrastructure costs are astronomical much less the amount of IT support on the back end required to help a ton of people not normally tech inclined to figure out how to both set up and use VR.

Kind of feel like Caeser Haircut Zuck is deathly afraid of the decline and fall of his empire and jumped onto Meta with both feet with the belief that literally everyone in the world would want to go from smartphones to a VR headset as the natural evolution of the technology.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

RE: Bayonetta, Jennifer Hale just put out her own statement on the matter.

https://twitter.com/jhaletweets/status/1582084319677644801?s=46&t=_5_w8vVtI9qO03oU1VWC8Q

Feels like saying "I am under an NDA" is code for something. Doesn't seem like a situation where she should really engage or respond.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Probably a case where you need to not depend on the specific news article but get the actual quotes from the person.

It does suck that it sounds like what was offered was just "grind through it all in 4-5 days then gently caress off" even if it's slightly better then the initial story. Also $15k for a one off job versus $4k isn't very meaningful especially when you are THE character voice of a beloved IP its still treating you like cheap disposable talent.

Especially now that WB/Zazlav whoever have been axing shows and loving around with media IP that is gutting the residuals they pay and putting a lot of creators and artists (feel like VA's are more like artists then actors for some reason) in very precarious spots. All these industry people are probably seeing the writing on the wall the corporate suits are going to try and treat you like cogs and gut what they can money wise from your contribution of the labor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Bayonetta is a niche game, horny goth witch demon action combat isn't a mega seller on a console from a company famous for being family friendly.

It'll still move units but it won't even crack the top ten for games released in 2022.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think the take away is "every is getting a good deal per union established pay rates"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

https://twitter.com/CAGames/status/1584862234941227008

Total War devs are the latest company getting whistleblowed

"Former" and "Employee" is doing that passive voice thing the media does when it downplays police shootings.

I guess they had to say something as it's clear word was getting out to the press but there's a big difference between a VP/C-suite person doing it versus some QAII team lead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

List is

- shelter dogs
- London drama school
- Dog welfare charity
- Nonprofit big on veterans to help with disasters
- Landmines
- A Socal Catholic church
- Arts/theatre support
- This which needs to be quoted because uh.....not 100% sure if it's legit

quote:

Our mission is to help persecuted Christians worldwide. #RedWednesday Founders | Newsletter: http://ow.ly/glQo30l2SSF 💻 Get involved!
- Anti-abortion billboards

Benefit of the doubt and all, but it seems like an incredibly weird "charity" and to include a US based anti-abortion group in what is almost exclusively UK stuff and also a CA church.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 28, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

I've had business with Bethesda personally and none of this is surprising. They are awful employers that take advantage of their employees and have a domineering attitude towards the contractors they work with. The best stories I've heard are simply neutral ("I delivered the work was contracted and was paid for it"), but there are other private horror stories of people being strung along just like this. They are also notorious for being legal bullies, with Zenimax lawyers standing behind them and not many with the resources to make a stand against them.

There's the famous line about Fallout NV and how the Obsidian bonuses were tied to hitting a certain metacritic score, so people think Bethesda pushed it out deliberately unfinished in a lot of ways to avoid paying that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

People Make Games, the folks who broke the Funomena story and some other neat stuff, are doing a 2-part series about gambling and Valve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMmNy11Mn7g

There's not really any breaking news in the first video but it's nice to see someone covering gambling through Steam's API. Seems like every journalistic outlet decided to stop covering the story after Valve banned a few of the worst offenders half a decade ago. I lol'ed when they observed that loving Roblox has more proactive moderation than Steam.

E: I'd like them to address money laundering via 3rd-party marketplaces. Everyone knows it takes place, the question is on what scale.

One of the grossest things about it is the many, many streamers who were promoting the poo poo out of those games while also running the offsite gambling/shopfronts or whatever.

The goon who made his money selling and trading TF hats had a lot of comments about how scummy it would get with people targeting accounts to ply newbie users to sell their hats for $20, which seems like a huge amount to a casual gamer, but they were reselling on the gray markets for thousands of dollars.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

$25k for a full time job making a game in intense crunch environment?

That's not sustainable in the cheapest areas of the US much less Tokyo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waifu Radia posted:

It’s important to emphasize how much this is not unique to games or tech industry. Crunch is everywhere and is always a failure of management, it just doesn’t have a unique name - fast food workers will routinely need to do 16 hour days because someone calls in for their shift or the manager “forgot”, customer service jobs will have you take overnight shifts on a whim. Same story.

As ever, the reason to unionize and collectively bargain is there all along.

It's also extremely generous to assume people get paid for many of those hours. One of the more commonly reported tactics is managers forcing people to clock out, then stay another hour to finish cleaning.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kanos posted:

If every single one of those employees were making $200,000 a year(something vanishingly unlikely), the price of that buyout could have kept those people on staff for the next 25+ years plus ancillary costs like benefits.

And still like $10 billion to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Is there a rash of kids buying microtransactions without their parents' credit cards? It seems like if you have that, there's really no way to stop a kid from buying things who doesn't say "HELLO I AM A KID". Most non-mobile lootbox games deal with COPPA by just not letting under 13s create accounts but they do anyway, and use their parents credit cards to pay for the lootboxes. Not clear what else could be done except start regulating the monetization model in a more universal way, which wouldn't be too bad.

We've been seeing those news clickbait articles for almost 20 years about a kid somehow purchasing $1k's of digital stuff, but when you get into it they either stole their parents card to buy roblox bucks, or the family ipad had payment info saved on Apple and they just keep hitting the "refresh" cost button in a mobile game.

It's a real problem giving a child access to a seemingly endless money font and expecting nothing to ever happen. Impluse control is a struggle for tons of adults much less literal child with no concept of finances.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 20, 2023