Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there data somewhere showing current change relative to pre-industrial by region, state, etc.? I know areas are already at +2C, like parts of the New Jersey coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Thread is extremely good today. About the new asset class based on anything that sustains life at all, I truly do hate it but it would be wild if they NYSE machinations even buy us one extra day for their efforts

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

AnemicChipmunk posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jg8yj8/ted-cruz-says-bitcoin-mining-can-fix-texas-crumbling-electric-grid

What even is this?

Is Ted Cruz suggesting that they pay individual bitcoin miners to shut down their operation during an energy crises in Texas? Does that mean bitcoin miners can effectively hold the state and electric company for a ransom?

What even is that thing about renewables? What the gently caress is this?

Looks like the sections in a lot of free trade agreements that will handsomely compensate the titans of industry if they're inconvenienced by a government trying to protect its environment. A bit like the way UPS sued Canada under NAFTA for having a national post. The tribunal threw that one out but gently caress United Parcel Smashers anyway.

Basic Poster posted:

Thread is extremely good today. About the new asset class based on anything that sustains life at all, I truly do hate it but it would be wild if they NYSE machinations even buy us one extra day for their efforts

That would definitely be worth a lol.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

exxon is going to buy a bunch of the rainforest assets and say that credits them to being able to drill a whole bunch more

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Shear Modulus posted:

exxon is going to buy a bunch of the rainforest assets and say that credits them to being able to drill a whole bunch more

in that same rainforest

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

actionjackson posted:

is there data somewhere showing current change relative to pre-industrial by region, state, etc.? I know areas are already at +2C, like parts of the New Jersey coast

idk about NJ, but the gulf of maine is warming faster than 99% of the ocean

quote:

While flying to a conference in 2014, Pershing had an idea. He had been mulling over data showing the Gulf of Maine’s rate of warming over the past decade. That rate seemed high to him, but he wanted to know how it compared to warming in the rest of the ocean.

So, midflight, he pulled together global satellite data. What he found surprised him: This region was warming faster than 99% of the rest of the ocean.

“The Gulf of Maine is way out on the curve,” said Pershing, who published these findings in the journal Science in 2015. Since then, the warming trend has continued. Over the past 15 years, this region has warmed an alarming 7 times faster than the rest of the ocean, according to his research.

Compiled satellite and computer model data showing the anomalous heat of 8 August 2018, the second-warmest day ever recorded in the Gulf of Maine. Credit: NASA Earth Observatory/Lauren Dauphin/Coral Reef Watch

nobody here cares. eat lobster lmao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

The Expanse future implies that humanity at some point managed to collaborate enough to occupy the solar system.

not only that but build a giant seawall to protect NYC, lmao like no one is doing anything

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Stevie Lee posted:

idk about NJ, but the gulf of maine is warming faster than 99% of the ocean

nobody here cares. eat lobster lmao

soon they'll even come pre-boiled straight from the ocean for your convenience!

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Surely 15 years of a nearly double warming rate has manifested some effects on the coastal regions and even more inland. Most articles about the Gulf of Maine are about effects on marine life and fisheries. Lobsters and cod moving north for colder water. Anyone from the area can chime in on changes they've seen in the past 15 years?

Regarding warming waters and fishing, I think the Chesapeake Bay area started having a large shrimp harvest a year or two ago. The shrimp have moved into the area from further south. Good for shrimp prices in VA, I guess.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bagual posted:

The biosphere sustained 90%+ diversity destruction several times from cosmic catastrophes on a power scale humans thankfully may never reach like the permian event asteroids and extreme temperature cycles, and bacteria, plants, fungus, algae, insects, anelids and simple ocean organisms like plankton corals and jellies lived through all that

as always it's not so much a "life on earth" problem as a "all currently existing complex life on earth, including us" problem, and the way we handling this i bet you can add a few zeroes to that tens of thousands

Maybe maybe...... I'm still holding out hope the the disruption wrought by plastics is a special type of destruction not even equaled by global warming.

10,000 years from now, when humans are all dead and the temp has returned to normal, most of the plastic will still be there, except for the tiny bit exposed on land that sunlight destroys. The micro particals and BPAs will still be being passed up and down the food chain causing reproductive issues. Right now we're poisoning some microorganisms like plankton. I suppose bacteria and viruses are unaffected.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

actionjackson posted:

The National Weather Service is going to have data available for about one hundred years or more for individual stations across the US. You can look at the data yourself, but it's not as easy as what you probably want.

Here's the page for the NYC forecast office: https://www.weather.gov/okx/

The 30-year averages that they use to calculate normal temps also just got redone for 2020. Places like Boston increased by like 2F over the last 30-year period. In other words, if you see a forecast that says temps will be normal, it's actually a few degrees warmer than the previous normal.

Woo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shear Modulus posted:

it's still profit seeking, and the profit from rain forests doesn't come from letting them exist. they'll burn the forest for fields, and buy carbon offset credits from an exxon owned charity to plant tress in a recent deforested area in the US, so that place can then buy carbon offset credits from the charity that's going to plant the crops in the ex-rainforest space.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

The Expanse future implies that humanity at some point managed to collaborate enough to occupy the solar system.

its pretty funny that seemingly nobody could come up with any convincing imaginary history for our current era that doesnt involve apocalyptic warfare, so they just sweep it aside

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Lost Time posted:

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1447832590350700547

Unfortunately, we already hit the iceberg and we're drowning in the cold dark sea. But other than that he's correct
we're here:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

The Demilich posted:

This is all I want to do with my life anymore. I've no idea how to properly buy property though so I don't get screwed, and I want to purchase out of state no less. It all feels like it's impossible quite frankly.

I just did this. My third time buying land. I'd be happy to help with your process, there are many mistakes to make.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lost Time posted:

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1447832590350700547

Unfortunately, we already hit the iceberg and we're drowning in the cold dark sea. But other than that he's correct

He can't say that because then people might not go see Avatar 2. :ohdear:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Minenfeld! posted:

The National Weather Service is going to have data available for about one hundred years or more for individual stations across the US. You can look at the data yourself, but it's not as easy as what you probably want.

Here's the page for the NYC forecast office: https://www.weather.gov/okx/

The 30-year averages that they use to calculate normal temps also just got redone for 2020. Places like Boston increased by like 2F over the last 30-year period. In other words, if you see a forecast that says temps will be normal, it's actually a few degrees warmer than the previous normal.

Woo.

Whole pnw is +2C preindustrial

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so i just started a graduate level course titled 'geographic information systmes for climate change science' and in our first zoom meeting, my ancient professor replied to a concerned student bringing up the leaked report from the IPCC with something like "yeah when i graduated, the issue everyone was worried about was global cooling! there's always a 'crisis' of some sort so i'm pretty skeptical about whatever new sensation is being peddled these days"

my climate change science professor is a climate change skeptic. very interesting. so i decided to look this guy up and

ahahahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/ewg/status/1447994730286026763?t=_9Dy77CmKjlOhaHDHlSRRw&s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shutting the barn door after all the horses have gotten out, evolved language and opposable thumbs, formed an egalitarian society, and have enslaved humanity to toil in the apple and hay mines.

In other news, OH NO, that thing that's already happened is happening soon! https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/energy/iea-world-energy-outlook-climate/index.html

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Oct 13, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Maybe maybe...... I'm still holding out hope the the disruption wrought by plastics is a special type of destruction not even equaled by global warming.

10,000 years from now, when humans are all dead and the temp has returned to normal, most of the plastic will still be there, except for the tiny bit exposed on land that sunlight destroys. The micro particals and BPAs will still be being passed up and down the food chain causing reproductive issues. Right now we're poisoning some microorganisms like plankton. I suppose bacteria and viruses are unaffected.

its only a matter of time before some bacteria figures out how to metabolize plastic and once that happens the problem fixes itself

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

God Hole posted:

so i just started a graduate level course titled 'geographic information systmes for climate change science' and in our first zoom meeting, my ancient professor replied to a concerned student bringing up the leaked report from the IPCC with something like "yeah when i graduated, the issue everyone was worried about was global cooling! there's always a 'crisis' of some sort so i'm pretty skeptical about whatever new sensation is being peddled these days"

my climate change science professor is a climate change skeptic. very interesting. so i decided to look this guy up and

ahahahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahaahhahahahaahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

You should ask him what it’s like to be such a cheap whore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

its only a matter of time before some bacteria figures out how to metabolize plastic and once that happens the problem fixes itself

Any bacteria that figures out how to metabolize plastic has already figured out how to metabolize bone, flesh, and basically all other related carbon-based life and organic matter so that'd be *all* problems solved, honestly.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Any bacteria that figures out how to metabolize plastic has already figured out how to metabolize bone, flesh, and basically all other related carbon-based life and organic matter so that'd be *all* problems solved, honestly.

There are bacteria that do metabolize those things. Their problem is their fellows and immune systems metabolizing them back.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

nature will adapt to just heal itself and magically eat our garbage is the most boomer brained post imaginable

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

God Hole posted:

lmfao

this is amazing

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Shutting the barn door after all the horses have gotten out, evolved language and opposable thumbs, formed an egalitarian society, and have enslaved humanity to toil in the apple and hay mines.

In other news, OH NO, that thing that's already happened is happening soon! https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/energy/iea-world-energy-outlook-climate/index.html

Excuse me, but I was told that peak oil wasn't real? Are you sure?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

nature will adapt to just heal itself and magically eat our garbage is the most boomer brained post imaginable

:ok:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

Excuse me, but I was told that peak oil wasn't real? Are you sure?

my favourite "argument" against peak oil is "oil will get more expensive as supply gets constrained so demand will go down before it ever peaks" and it's like.... gently caress do you even know what peak oil MEANS?? do you know what that means for our ENERGY DEPENDENT civilization?!

"demand will just naturally decline in an orderly way" is the dumbest take when we have superpowers with nuclear weapons in play

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

God Hole posted:

You've got Robert Balling for a prof?? :holymoley: I might be misremembering*, but I'm pretty sure he was mentioned in "Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta Is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada (And Doesn't Seem to Care)". Dude's sucked a lot of Koch over the years. Could be an interesting class if you want a window into maintaining contrarianism in the face of a tsunami of evidence.

*hard to keep track of these shitbirds.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

I mean maybe one day. I'd like to think there will be life like there was again 30 million years from now

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the real injustice about all of this is dudes like balling will die long before they see what they have caused

if i had a parent or grandparent that was like one of those dudes i would tell them "thanks for destroying the world" and cut all contact forever

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Spergin Morlock posted:

there are but it's more forced in a lab environment and not something that's happy to reproduce and spread in the wide. also the byproduct of eating plastic is also toxic lol

the thing is, the organic molecular breakdown of polymers and such isn't very energy-friendly

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Hexigrammus posted:

You've got Robert Balling for a prof?? :holymoley: I might be misremembering*, but I'm pretty sure he was mentioned in "Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta Is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada (And Doesn't Seem to Care)". Dude's sucked a lot of Koch over the years. Could be an interesting class if you want a window into maintaining contrarianism in the face of a tsunami of evidence.

*hard to keep track of these shitbirds.

it doesnt surprise me, everything is so loving stupid lol i will be sure to update the thread with any incredibly big brained claims that pop up in class.

Lordshmee posted:

You should ask him what it’s like to be such a cheap whore.

i don't even wanna be around anymore

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

God Hole posted:

it doesnt surprise me, everything is so loving stupid lol i will be sure to update the thread with any incredibly big brained claims that pop up in class.

i don't even wanna be around anymore

keep crack pinging until that feeling goes away :unsmith:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Why are you taking grad classes anymore even

Is the official thread stance is that you should not drop out??

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
do whatever makes you happy

some people really like going to classes and taking notes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there’s functionally nothing you can do about the climate apocalypse so might as well keep doing whatever you want.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my good friend is a marine biologist specializing in coral and her lab is effectively building a coral ark, since they are convinced that the oceans are going to soon be completely inhospitable to all corals and so they’re trying to freeze them so that they can unfreeze them at some arbitrary point in the future and we don’t just lose all the coral to extinction. seems like a worthwhile graduate school result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the joke is on the environment

destroying it makes me happy