Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Season one had heart! It had intrigue! Occasionally it had laughs! I've been busy and I've just been pretending Lower Decks wasn't happening again but it's here and so I'm gonna talk about it. I'm gonna share about it! I'm gonna rate each episode with an arbitrary one to ten system!

Lower Decks Season 2 Episode 1: Strange Energies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
We've got a cold open where Mariner is having an action scene where she does all the exposition. It's an expositionactionscene.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mariner is still mad at Boimler who is in space prison or something.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It was all a holodeck simulation, thank goodness I didn't provide any photographs from this part think of the effort it'd have cost me!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Same old intro, now we're gonna have the episode for real.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Both Mariner and her Mom hate that they have to compromise in order to cooperate.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Rutherford is experiencing character development. Or maybe he has a degenerative cyborg condition. Tendi is determined to find out.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mariner is using her special status with the captain to not have to do the boring stuff on Away Missions. Commander Ransom is basically apoplectic because it completely circumvents his authority.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Oh No Mariner was cleaning off some ancient ruins and accidentally awoken powerful mysterious technologies that shot a rainbow laser beam at commander ransom!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
He's fine enough for an I-told-you-so he's fine.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is what strange energies (the magic rainbow laser) do to you- apparently

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Commander Ransom can hear thoughts now. This lets him hear Mariner's internal sarcastic monologue. He's pissed.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

He starts blasting rainbow energy everywhere in a circle around him.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Now he's mostly just working out, focusing on getting fit.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Tendi is gonna electrocute Rutherford until he's the person she'd like him to be.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Rutherford stormed out.

Meanwhile down on the planet where the rainbow laser thing happened, everyone is focusing on what's really important here, how this whole situation is all Mariner's fault.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Ransom is using his god powers to take the whole planet's population over.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Ransom empowered his own head to become massive and fly off his body to go do god stuff.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Tendi is hunting Rutherford with some kinda medical gun.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Tendi is definitely exercising more than a professional interest in this situation.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay so Ransom's body is doing stuff, making gym equipment for his new planet people mostly, while his head chases the Cerritos around.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Jack Ransom's all mad about Mariner, so he's gonna attack the ship.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Tendi knew Rutherford's brain was fine the whole time!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mariner and her mom want to go back to having mutual antagonism.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Ransom's giant head bit the ship.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Tendi was just jealous the whole time because Rutherford was experiencing character growth!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
They're still gonna be friends because Rutherford loves learning more than he loves his personal well being.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Jack Ransom is getting less powerful the more Mariner's Mom praises him.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Unfortunately he want to be captain and you can only praise him so much.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mariner just kicked him in the balls a lot and it fixed the problem.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Everybody's back to normal.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

reignofevil posted:

Mariner and her mom want to go back to having mutual antagonism.

Mariner and her mom are gonna go back to having some mutual antagonism.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Rutherford hates pears again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Oh no Boimler is in a terrible spot. He's gonna get blown up. Or go into some kinda thing. He's gonna experience Gluonic Disruption.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
NEXT TIME!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Laughs Nope. Rutherford getting electrocuted amused me probably the most out of everything. Second runner up goes to the part where they explained the religious implications of "strange energy".

Rating I'm gonna give this one a 5.5 out of 10. Just barely brought above middle of the road because the giant god-head was pretty star trek and I award credit for that. This episode might need to be this way, it needs to remind the audience of the status quo of Mariner and her mom so that the characters can verbally get sick of and reject that status quo so that when they start antagonizing eachother again the audience doesn't see it as a reset from the growth they had at the end of season one. That said it does mean Mariner begins the episode by saying she's tired of working with her mom and her mom begins the episode by saying she's tired of working with mariner and then the entire episode feels basically superfluous since it only exists as a vehicle to explain that arc to the audience long after they've already told us the ending.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
When I saw this new thread that already had 35 replies I thought something controversial must have happened that got people arguing

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've got whole gobs of things to offer an enriching topic such as this one! Each of my passing thoughts about lower decks as wellspring of wisdom and so I encompass each thought into an individual post, some day the complete historic record will thank me for my service.

Because today we're watching Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 2 Episode 2 – Kayshon, His Eyes Open

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Everybody's naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Yep. We're just doing more naked. Blurred full frontal. The future has become so incredibly sex-positive!