Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Do Terrorized areas have increased drop quality, or it just user bias? I'm running 0% MF (for runes and bases) and am seeing some decent special drops even from normal enemies. Something dropped a Gloom's Trap mesh belt, but it was Ethereal.
:negative:

I'll still probably wear it when going for Diablo or Baal runs or something (as in put it on just for that fight alone).

But the game more than made up for that with an Andariel's Visage. I've seen that listed as "Best in Slot" mercenary helm. I socketed it from Larzuk (normal) with Ral, and was nearly going to wear it myself for the extra +1 Skills, until I noted the 27 STR was enough for my Mercenary to now equip the Insight Colossus Voulge.

Also, something killed me super-fast from off-screen in the Tower. I think it was a devilkin with a yellow aura, no idea what mods. All I can think of was Holy Fire, since my resists were only like 30-40. and my health is only about 1200 or so. I had taken off my rare gloves which had resists to reduce my MF. I'll put those back on now.

Mr. Grinch posted:

set your binds once, save it as custom, and then when you make a new character you press load default and select that custom preset

mercenaries do not apply PMH, no

I didn't see that option, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks for the info, I knew mercenaries didn't do some of those things, but I wasn't sure which. Thankfully, it's a moot point with my shiny new mask.

EDIT 2: Wow, The Meditation Aura makes Wake of Fire feel better even without damage increase because my mana is staying high so I can keep replacing them.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do Terrorized areas have increased drop quality, or it just user bias? I'm running 0% MF (for runes and bases) and am seeing some decent special drops even from normal enemies. Something dropped a Gloom's Trap mesh belt, but it was Ethereal.
:negative:

I'll still probably wear it when going for Diablo or Baal runs or something (as in put it on just for that fight alone).

But the game more than made up for that with an Andariel's Visage. I've seen that listed as "Best in Slot" mercenary helm. I socketed it from Larzuk (normal) with Ral, and was nearly going to wear it myself for the extra +1 Skills, until I noted the 27 STR was enough for my Mercenary to now equip the Insight Colossus Voulge.

I didn't see that option, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks for the info, I knew mercenaries didn't do some of those things, but I wasn't sure which. Thankfully, it's a moot point with my shiny new mask.

Higher alvl, so higher mlvl.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Yeah I believe terror zones scale to your level, so they'll drop gear/experience at your level (or slightly above for special packs). Nice being able to farm and level up in different areas.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
An ethereal Earth Shifter and Fire Sunder charm dropped for me. I can't hit things with it, but I could make a fire druid caster: +7 Elemental Skills is tremendous, but level 69/253 STR for the Thunder Maul is a pretty significant STR investment, which means less for VIT. Since I won't have points for summons, I could also maybe use the Wisp Projector Hell Andy dropped, even though it's only a level 2 Oak Sage. Does that sound like a good idea to aim for, or should I forget the maul entirely?

EDIT: Actually the Icy Veins Fire Druid build still has a level 20 Oak Sage and pile of summon meat shields so maybe forget the Wisp Projector. (Who can I use that for?)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 26, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Grinch posted:

set your binds once, save it as custom, and then when you make a new character you press load default and select that custom preset

EDIT: Figured it out, finally.

After making a new character and checking again, I still don't see any way to do this. I have "save custom" and "delete custom" above. Below I have "Apply", "Default", and "Discard". The "Default button asks me "Legacy," "Resurrected," and "Custom," but none of them actually load the custom setup from other characters.

I tried looking through the C:\Users and the game install directory and couldn't find any clearly labelled install files either.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 27, 2023

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

I have "save custom" and "delete custom" above. The "Default button asks me ...and "Custom,"

there is only one custom setting. its not like a named profile or whatever as in other games. set your binds on a character, save it as custom. go to the other character, load default and select custom. perhaps you are forgetting to press apply?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The game will apply the custom key bindings to the character you are playing with and any subsequent characters you make after that. But any characters already made before you change key bindings will have their old bindings until you change them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Grinch posted:

there is only one custom setting. its not like a named profile or whatever as in other games. set your binds on a character, save it as custom. go to the other character, load default and select custom. perhaps you are forgetting to press apply?

I finally figured it out, I had to click default, custom, then apply - without changing any of the stuff in the upper pane.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It occurred to me that the one thing I couldn't get for my offline Trapsassin was the Annihilus charm, so I made a ladder Trapsin. I finished Act 1 Normal solo, but played in parties for the rest of Normal and A1 NM, until I couldn't really continue on higher player counts because my equipment was crap and I got killed fast, so I reverted to solo leveling for a bit, but eventually finished NM. I'm not going to bother starting Hell because I haven't found much good gear and my resistances are not good enough. I have found practically no good charms at all.

I'm not sure when the current ladder season will end, but I suspect it'll be fairly soon. I did get the Lem rune I was looking for to make Treachery. I just don't have the Thul or armor to put it in. But at least even if I can't get Annihilus this season, I can get that Lem when my ladder character becomes non-ladder.

If I understand how Uber Diablo works correctly, once Terror stalks sanctuary, any online game, even ones made outside the lobby will spawn Uber Diablo to replace the first Super-Unique which spawns. Would that also work for the triggered spawns in the Chaos Sanctuary? Weighing my options I think that's probably the best (safest) place to fight him, because I can dodge around the center pentagram while the traps take care of him.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

It occurred to me that the one thing I couldn't get for my offline Trapsassin was the Annihilus charm, so I made a ladder Trapsin. I finished Act 1 Normal solo, but played in parties for the rest of Normal and A1 NM, until I couldn't really continue on higher player counts because my equipment was crap and I got killed fast, so I reverted to solo leveling for a bit, but eventually finished NM. I'm not going to bother starting Hell because I haven't found much good gear and my resistances are not good enough. I have found practically no good charms at all.

I'm not sure when the current ladder season will end, but I suspect it'll be fairly soon. I did get the Lem rune I was looking for to make Treachery. I just don't have the Thul or armor to put it in. But at least even if I can't get Annihilus this season, I can get that Lem when my ladder character becomes non-ladder.

If I understand how Uber Diablo works correctly, once Terror stalks sanctuary, any online game, even ones made outside the lobby will spawn Uber Diablo to replace the first Super-Unique which spawns. Would that also work for the triggered spawns in the Chaos Sanctuary? Weighing my options I think that's probably the best (safest) place to fight him, because I can dodge around the center pentagram while the traps take care of him.

That works, yeah. Do make sure the sanctuary is very clear first, though.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

You can get an Annihilus in offline. Farm nightmare Andy for a stone of Jordan then sell it (1).

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

leper khan posted:

You can get an Annihilus in offline. Farm nightmare Andy for a stone of Jordan then sell it (1).

Easier said than done. I've only played D2 on and off for 20 years and haven't seen one SoJ. gently caress if I'm going to sell that fucker

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

Easier said than done. I've only played D2 on and off for 20 years and haven't seen one SoJ. gently caress if I'm going to sell that fucker

Stack up MF and run nightmare Andy. She drops them pretty regularly. Just 1000-2000 runs expected.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

MrMidnight posted:

Same, been playing D2 since before Lord of Destruction on and off and have never had an SoJ drop. Traded for a likely duped one at some point but never had one drop in the wild.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

leper khan posted:

You only need one in offline? Good to know, although I may have seen like one of those ever, and that's just a fuzzy memory maybe. (I haven't played D2 since like 1.13, so it's not like I've been trying for 20 years.)

It seems like an extreme long-shot, though, since the best MF I can muster, sacrificing everything is 308% (Gull, Milbrega, 3 PTopaz Mask). I don't have the runes to make Wealth, and if I did it would go to Treachery instead. But my offline assassin is level 86 with lots of synergies into fire skills, so killing her should be easily doable. I could try, perhaps.

86 is a high enough level to get a slight benefit from Skulldur's Ire over Wealth. That needs a level 42 zone to drop I guess, which should he all of NM. Not that I'll see it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 5, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

You only need one in offline? Good to know, although I may have seen like one of those ever, and that's just a fuzzy memory maybe. (I haven't played D2 since like 1.13, so it's not like I've been trying for 20 years.)

It seems like an extreme long-shot, though, since the best MF I can muster, sacrificing everything is 308% (Gull, Milbrega, 3 PTopaz Mask). I don't have the runes to make Wealth, and if I did it would go to Treachery instead. But my offline assassin is level 86 with lots of synergies into fire skills, so killing her should be easily doable. I could try, perhaps.

86 is a high enough level to get a slight benefit from Skulldur's Ire over Wealth. That needs a level 42 zone to drop I guess, which should he all of NM. Not that I'll see it.

Skulders you want NM diablo/baal or hell Andy

https://dropcalc.silospen.com/item.php

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

As far as fighting Diablo clone, the best place is to take the portal at the arcane sanctuary waypoint backwards to the palace. He'll be right there, but won't be able to leave that room. Make sure you have a source of prevent monster heal (edge bow works for sorcs, it just takes forever to hit him, you'll see the poison effect) and so long as you don't die, you can whittle him down fairly easily.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

As far as fighting Diablo clone, the best place is to take the portal at the arcane sanctuary waypoint backwards to the palace. He'll be right there, but won't be able to leave that room. Make sure you have a source of prevent monster heal (edge bow works for sorcs, it just takes forever to hit him, you'll see the poison effect) and so long as you don't die, you can whittle him down fairly easily.

Crushing blow works wonders, too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

OneTwentySix posted:

I had a shot at him just an hour or two ago, in the Den of Evil. The terrain wasn't too bad, and I had a Lower Resist Wand, but I still was barely doing any damage and I didn't have any Prevent Monster Heal stuff which I could equip (I did have it on a couple moderate-dex uniques). I did have the runes for Edge, but no base, and when I quit to go to Normal to get a 3-socket short bow from Charsi, that ended the instance and it was back to Corpsefire on my next attempt. I probably didn't stand much chance of landing a hit on him though, since I was just level 61 with 0 dex investment.

Oh well. Back to farming Nightmare cows looking for a 4-socket sword. I've had the runes for Spirit for a while, but nothing has dropped yet. I finally got my second Sol rune though to make Insight for my Merc, which should seriously help a lot. (I've had the bases for a while waiting just for the Sol.) Maybe I should make a Treachery for the +2 Assassin skills and level 15 Fade.

EDIT 2:

There was another Uber Diablo spawn. This time I did have my Edge bow, but it's simply not going to work. There's only the bare minimum 5% chance to hit at level 66. There's a higher chance of me getting trapped in a bone prison and dying. That happened twice, and I think I only hit him once (I heard the pain sound). I retrieved my body once, but quit after the second death. Nothing to do except level up more.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 6, 2023

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Man I wonder if you could backport the D2R changes into a vanilla D2 mod

Like the terror zones and the sunder charms and all the skill changes

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
i'm pretty sure d2 mods are so far beyond d2r stuff that it would feel meh

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
After doing some research, it seems like overcoming the healing of the Ubers will be difficult or obnoxious. I decided to make a (FoH) Smiter Paladin who is now level 22. Is the playstyle supposed to be Smite->Zeal until the stun wears off -> (Repeat), or do I just need more base damage and then only smite? EDIT: Reached level 24 and got Holy Shield. Level 1 doubled my Smite damage, so I guess the answer is "more base damage."

(I could make Black, eventually, but that's a while away.)

I did get an Annihilius (17 attributes, 19 all-res, +8% EXP), someone called Malevolent (I think) gave away a bunch of stuff, which was really nice.

I know it can be tough to find 4 os polearms, but are they really that rare? I had a 4 os Scythe which I dropped for someone who created a game looking for one (I already had Insight on my other character and another 4 os Poleaxe). Even though it was normal quality - not exceptional or elite, and I said that in the chat. I literally just dropped it on the ground and they could have taken it and bounced without a word. They asked what I wanted and I said "whatever you feel like." They still gave me an Ist rune for it which is high enough that I've never had one drop for me.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 9, 2023

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I know it can be tough to find 4 os polearms, but are they really that rare? I had a 4 os Scythe which I dropped for someone who created a game looking for one (I already had Insight on my other character and another 4 os Poleaxe). Even though it was normal quality - not exceptional or elite, and I said that in the chat. I literally just dropped it on the ground and they could have taken it and bounced without a word. They asked what I wanted and I said "whatever you feel like." They still gave me an Ist rune for it which is high enough that I've never had one drop for me.

Any old random 4os polearm is definitely not Ist rune level of rarity in my experience, no.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He might have just been impatient and rich, Ist is the standard BUY NOW rune of D2.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Man I wonder if you could backport the D2R changes into a vanilla D2 mod

Like the terror zones and the sunder charms and all the skill changes
D2 private server runners fear a C&D so have decided not to backport any major D2R changes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My Smiter Paladin really took off once I got level 20 Smite and all the prereqs and could pump up the base damage with lots of Holy Shield. I could actually be somewhat useful in high-player count games (especially once I made Black for the Crushing Blow). I also equipped my Rogue merc with an Edge bow in a Stag bow, and she's been fairly helpful and surprisingly strong.

NM Hellforge dropped me a Pul rune, but none of the Runewords which use it really caught my eye (or also require other high-level runes which I don't have anyway.) What is a good use for a Pul?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My Smiter Paladin really took off once I got level 20 Smite and all the prereqs and could pump up the base damage with lots of Holy Shield. I could actually be somewhat useful in high-player count games (especially once I made Black for the Crushing Blow). I also equipped my Rogue merc with an Edge bow in a Stag bow, and she's been fairly helpful and surprisingly strong.

NM Hellforge dropped me a Pul rune, but none of the Runewords which use it really caught my eye (or also require other high-level runes which I don't have anyway.) What is a good use for a Pul?

Pul rune is the game's $1.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
I thought that was Ist

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ist is a solid 20

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

They're doing the same Christmas daily bonus buff thing they did last year. Just in time for me to be done w/ season 2 over at D4 land.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MrMidnight posted:

They're doing the same Christmas daily bonus buff thing they did last year. Just in time for me to be done w/ season 2 over at D4 land.

What were those bonuses, if I might ask?

My Smiter Paladin is level 67 and has maxed out Smite, Holy Shield, and Fanatacism, and my plan now is to alternate 5 points into Fist of the Heavens and Holy Bolt as much as possible. I still haven't found (with my Matriarch Trapsin) a Physical Sunder charm to deal with immunes. I was a little disappointed to learn that the 10% Life/Mana steal from Tal Rasha's Mask does not work with Smite, but I guess I can make a Bulwark instead once I get another Io rune.

Poking his head into Hell, he can't really do well there, because I've been splitting my points into STR, DEX and VIT (according to the guide which recommends about 150 STR and DEX).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

24-hour events that each have a special theme, like Cow Level is the only TZ, a flat bonus to magic find, vendor prices are 50% off, etc.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My Smiter Paladin is level 67 and has maxed out Smite, Holy Shield, and Fanatacism, and my plan now is to alternate 5 points into Fist of the Heavens and Holy Bolt as much as possible. I still haven't found (with my Matriarch Trapsin) a Physical Sunder charm to deal with immunes. I was a little disappointed to learn that the 10% Life/Mana steal from Tal Rasha's Mask does not work with Smite, but I guess I can make a Bulwark instead once I get another Io rune.

Poking his head into Hell, he can't really do well there, because I've been splitting my points into STR, DEX and VIT (according to the guide which recommends about 150 STR and DEX).

Best one was vendor prices down x%. With a gheeds and edge bow, you could buy things for cheaper than they sold for. Then gamble all day.

Others include all day tz cows, 15 minute tz's, some MF or GF bonuses, various buffs, etc. Big ones are the vendor one and tz cows if you like cows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Within an hour I got both Titan's Revenge [172% ED, 6% LS] (Hell Countess) and Lycander's Aim [190% ED, 8% LS] (Terror zone). That'll be good for my Fire/Ice Bowazon, and I don't yet have a Javazon but should probably make one. I also got a fourth Hel rune so I cubed up an Io for Bulwark (although I still lack a 3 os helm base).

I also got a normal Phase Blade and Monarch from Terror Zone cows, and I used the cube recipe to add sockets to them, getting 6 for the Phase Blade and 4 for the Monarch, so I made Spirit in that. I'm not entirely sure what a 6-socket Phase Blade is used for. Just 6-Shael for 120% IAS?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

6 Ist horker offhand for pitzerking

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My Smiter Paladin fulfilled his purpose last night. I was in an online game with a Blizz sorc and WW Barb and the "Terror is approaching Sanctuary" notice appeared while we were fighting in the Throne of Destruction, and instead of Lister appearing with his pack, Uber Diablo showed up instead. I got the charm - +15 attributes, +20 all-res, +9%EXP. (I also got a Fal rune and a Gul rune in separate solo games, so that's 2/3 of the way to Mosaic.)

But after we went on to beat Baal, I could no longer see Terror Zones. Not on any difficulty on any character, online or off. I don't see any forum topics about it either. Are Terror zones working for anyone else? I don't think it's tied to the "Black Friday" daily event as they were working before.

EDIT: They suddenly started showing up just now. And no, it wasn't that I toggled them off the map display, I checked that when I noticed.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 16, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Uber Diablo every three hours event was nice, I got 5 more Annihilus charms, far more than I'd ever anticipated getting. Smiters really are good boss killers.

An online character cubed a +3 Bow Skills Matriarchal Bow into a 3-open socket one which I can give my offline bowazon to make Melody in once the season ends. 187 Dex is a lot more than 152 for a Grand Matron, but I don't think I've even seen one of those of any quality, so it's probably best to work with that for now, it's not like the runes are too hard to get. It is also faster than a Grand Matron, too.

I know 4-socket Monarchs are for Spirit (and I've got a couple of those), but is a 3-socket Monarch used for anything in particular instead of a lower requirement shield?

I also found a two-socket Archon plate. There aren't many 2 os armor runewords. Should I put Smoke (NefLum) or Prudence (MalTir) into it? I'm leaning towards Smoke because +50 all resistances is pretty good, although since my only melee character is a Smiter Paladin, and thus can get resists from shields, that might best be used for another character.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

The Uber Diablo every three hours event was nice, I got 5 more Annihilus charms, far more than I'd ever anticipated getting. Smiters really are good boss killers.

An online character cubed a +3 Bow Skills Matriarchal Bow into a 3-open socket one which I can give my offline bowazon to make Melody in once the season ends. 187 Dex is a lot more than 152 for a Grand Matron, but I don't think I've even seen one of those of any quality, so it's probably best to work with that for now, it's not like the runes are too hard to get. It is also faster than a Grand Matron, too.

I know 4-socket Monarchs are for Spirit (and I've got a couple of those), but is a 3-socket Monarch used for anything in particular instead of a lower requirement shield?

I also found a two-socket Archon plate. There aren't many 2 os armor runewords. Should I put Smoke (NefLum) or Prudence (MalTir) into it? I'm leaning towards Smoke because +50 all resistances is pretty good, although since my only melee character is a Smiter Paladin, and thus can get resists from shields, that might best be used for another character.

How do you give offline characters stuff from online chars? Out of season online isn't offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Monarchs are the preferred shield for four sockets if you're not a paladin. They're light, so they don't penalize your run/walk speed or stamina drain. They also have a lower strength requirement than the only other two shields that can get four sockets. The only use case for a four-socket aegis is to give it to an act III mercenary with Spirit made in it. If you want a shield with only three sockets, use a troll nest. It has a lower strength requirement and better block chance.

You can also read all about sockets here and Ctrl+F "sockets".