Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
windows phone
windows phone
windows phone
windows phone
windows phone
View Results

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
windows phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hmm. looks like the poll is broken. i cant select all the options

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I long to live in a reality where windows phone relegated anroid into the dustbin

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Do they still make those

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
only in our hearts

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i miss my lumia

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Brrrmph posted:

Do they still make those

they sure do

they sure

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-duo?activetab=overview

do

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

winphone somehow managed to make wpf run at 60fps and Android still hasn’t figured out how to make its uis responsive

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

rip to a real one

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my friend's husband has one of these, he tried to show it off to me and I just felt sad. not exaggerating, i literally felt sad about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i still want one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I can respect that more than the folding phones that try to pretend the hinge is invisible.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
windows phone is pretty good, op

i would probably use it if it weren't for webos

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Wandpws Phrne

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
gross

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
rip lunix archduke

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Windows Mobile was really good and they had like 30% marketshare when they decided to give tens of millions of windows mobile users the middle finger and make their poo poo windows 8 lookin phone OS incompatible with every app ever made

They'd still be in the game if not for that, especially with devices with more ram were coming out

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I agree, Chumbawumba4ever97.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i worked on porting a windows mobile app to ios for a company once. the previous dev was using sms to send messages to/from the device, because windows mobile let applications read all your messages and send/receive them on your behalf.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
also said sms was medical information

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
doctors still use pagers, right? it's clearly fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Windows Mobile was really good and they had like 30% marketshare when they decided to give tens of millions of windows mobile users the middle finger and make their poo poo windows 8 lookin phone OS incompatible with every app ever made

They'd still be in the game if not for that, especially with devices with more ram were coming out

are you referring to classic windows mobile (aka pocket pc), or windows mobile 6 (honeycomb long scroller), or windows phone 7 series phone for telephones (with zune text cutoff menus), or windows phone 7.5, (based on new technology (nt) kernel, no, sorry your apps don’t work anymore) ?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

The Management posted:

are you referring to classic windows mobile (aka pocket pc), or windows mobile 6 (honeycomb long scroller), or windows phone 7 series phone for telephones (with zune text cutoff menus), or windows phone 7.5, (based on new technology (nt) kernel, no, sorry your apps don’t work anymore) ?

yes

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

that metro UI poo poo sucked rear end OP and having a windows phone is like the technological equivalent of wearing loving khakis every day hth

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

at least khakis are functional and cover your dillz. the same cant be said for windows phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

what about windows phone 8 and windows phone 10?

winpho 8 was the nt one, 7 and 7.5 required major rewrites between them, but were in theory the same platform

Teleposter
Sep 27, 2021

"He loves a visit from the ape."

The Management posted:

I had a windows mobile 6 and the honeycomb menu started lagging so badly it would take 10 seconds for it to register any tap on the screen.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my wife had a windows phone when we met lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
guess she had nowhere to go but down

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

winphone somehow managed to make wpf run at 60fps and Android still hasn’t figured out how to make its uis responsive

and on half the hardware. have to think that is wasn't some magic in the overall microsoft technology, but some actual geniuses wasting their youth making that part happen. hope they are doing more lasting things today.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

and Android still hasn’t figured out how to make its uis responsive

we already know why this is

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hope they are doing more lasting things today.

ya facebooks impact is definitely lasting

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

why did we all vote for the third option?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I had an at&t tilt in 2008 that had windows on it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

we already know why this is

those ad tracking hooks are all blocking the render thread?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
its because android is for android users.

a slow ui for the slow folks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

Windows mobile5/6.5 ,WinCE, whatever it was called on my HTC Touch Pro 2.

the honeycomb menu was wack but that's what I loved about windows mobile, you could customize the "my home" screen or whatever they called it. I would go as far as to say it might have been even more customizable than android is. i would have all my email accounts on the home screen with the email address and unread email numbers, and it took up almost no space (Windows Phone 7 is the antithesis of this; lets gently caress up all your screen real estate with huge gaudy icons and no info).

i had just bought my first smartphone, a blackberry something (the one that somehow didn't have wifi) and a coworker told me I was nuts and to get a windows mobile phone especially since i'm such a technoweenie. the thing that sold me was when he told me i could literally copy and paste the entire contents of my car's GPS onto the phone and it would run it. my mind blew when I did that and sure enough it worked.

i was running torrent apps on my phone in 2008, it owned so much. any program you could think of, someone already made for it, usually back in the winCE days; it didn't matter, it was all compatible.

the things that held it back were a resisitive touch screen and pathetically small amounts of ram. i think the largest RAM windows mobile device topped out at 256mb. i remember when I would use my GPS and audiobooks player at the same time while i was driving, the audiobooks program force close due to lack of ram. i was praying a 512mb of ram phone would have come out before windows decided to ditch the OS but that never happened.

right before killing mobile 6.5 they actually had an app store. i remember buy Sonic Spinball from it.

anyway i think if they would have released a phone with decent ram and a capicitive touch screen they would still be in the game today but somehow microsoft didn't get the memo that the only reason anybody uses their stuff is customobility and backwards compatibility

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you count their legacy support contracts for embedded devices I'd guess that winmo 6.5 outlasted all the attempts to replace it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
yep, I still see workers using it in Target and QuikChek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Windows Phone was good.

Zune was good.

Bring it all back!