Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Got my old job back babysitting sea turtle hatchlings and shorebird chicks, got a volunteer spot lined up at an aquarium until that kicks off, and heading back to the east coast real soon. It’s a good day :unsmith:

e: look at my brave little buddies go 🥺

Jesus are they adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mom’s cat has decided she is a Christmas present

Her son (the cat’s) enjoys guarding the tree

Also they play fight all the time and it’s really cute and even though he’s as big as her now she does this thing where she grabs under his armpits and flips sending him flying in a mom cat on kitten suplex.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Jesus are they adorable.

Barely the size of an oreo, and awkward as all hell on their way to the water. It’s completely :kimchi:

We did a mass release ahead of a storm last year, that’s where the pic came from. Every nest that was in its timeframe to hatch, we dug on and pulled out any hatchlings we found so they wouldn’t drown in the egg cavity. We released like 400 that week this way :unsmith:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My folks have picked up the post retirement activity of volunteering at a local marine mammal rescue organization. I got to visit some months back and see all kinds of cool sea lions and seals like these guys

:3:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My folks have picked up the post retirement activity of volunteering at a local marine mammal rescue organization. I got to visit some months back and see all kinds of cool sea lions and seals like these guys

:3:

They really are sea staffies!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's my turn to be positive. I'm a fairly private person - I generally keep my business as my business, but here goes:

I'm 6 years sober, 3 years on antidepressants, and I feel good most days. I have a cool dog, and recently I took him to meet a lady on our first date. That was nearly four months ago, and we are planning family Christmas together now.
It's a pretty far cry from dying drunk, alone and unmourned, which is all I thought there was left for me.

Thanks for reading and, and I really mean this, have a good day!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I am also a private person so I don’t share here but that’s all awesome, congrats man.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
That's awesome news. loving proud of you man.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's my turn to be positive. I'm a fairly private person - I generally keep my business as my business, but here goes:

I'm 6 years sober, 3 years on antidepressants, and I feel good most days. I have a cool dog, and recently I took him to meet a lady on our first date. That was nearly four months ago, and we are planning family Christmas together now.
It's a pretty far cry from dying drunk, alone and unmourned, which is all I thought there was left for me.

Congrats !

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Congrats! Especially on the cool dog

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That is great news Comrade! Now post Luca!

From my end my good vibes are that I had a job interview yesterday and the people I interviewed with want to put my name forward to the end customer to fulfill the role. It'll mean a lateral move pay-wise but I'll be working with some really cool stuff and working for a much more cozy company than the one I am currently with. As everything is still a bit up in the air I'm being deliberately vague, but fingers crossed I'll be moving over the new new gig this coming January.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I've managed to turn my epilepsy from being my biggest weakness into being my strongest source of selfworth and confidence by using it to help game devs make their games safer for people suffering from more severe cases of epilepsy. So far I've gotten 8 separate devs to listen to my feedback and make changes to their games that may end up saving lives they never intended to endanger.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SerthVarnee posted:

I've managed to turn my epilepsy from being my biggest weakness into being my strongest source of selfworth and confidence by using it to help game devs make their games safer for people suffering from more severe cases of epilepsy. So far I've gotten 8 separate devs to listen to my feedback and make changes to their games that may end up saving lives they never intended to endanger.

This is legit awesome. I always assumed they used an algorithm of some kind to "iron out" anything that could cause issues. Actually having someone look at it and point out issues is above and beyond what I expected.

What games have you "fixed"?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Small gamejam submissions mostly, but my biggest title that I've helped out on extensively is Waves of Steel.

I've been a volunteer tester on that game for about a year and have had several "opportunities" to give feedback on animations that really didn't seem like they would have been a problem for anyone, but certainly kicked me in the teeth.

I also got to do some feedback for a game trailer advertising Mini Motorways.

The algorithm bit is sort so true, as there is a program that can give you the most glaringly obvious kill triggers (the ones that would be obvious to anyone with a pop culture understanding of epilepsy). Unfortunately, things slip through the cracks in the dumbest possible ways sometimes. Like cyberpunk 2077 literally using the "this thing kills epileptics dead" example video somewhere in their game, presumably because they thought this was the video that showed them the limit of what they could safely put in. Too bad it was the video demonstrating what absolutely not to do.

Anything else gets covered by the legal disclaimer at the start of almost every single game out there:
"CAUTION!
This game contains explosions and other flashing lights. It may not be suitable for people with photosensitive conditions such as photosensitive epilepsy. Player discretion is advised".

Note that it only told me what amounts to: "may or may not kill you at any given time, sucks to be you if you play it anyways".

This note doesn't really get shown until after the game is bought and installed.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 16, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SerthVarnee posted:

Small gamejam submissions mostly, but my biggest title that I've helped out on extensively is Waves of Steel.

I've been a volunteer tester on that game for about a year and have had several "opportunities" to give feedback on animations that really didn't seem like they would have been a problem for anyone, but certainly kicked me in the teeth.

I also got to do some feedback for a game trailer advertising Mini Motorways.

The algorithm bit is sort so true, as there is a program that can give you the most glaringly obvious kill triggers (the ones that would be obvious to anyone with a pop culture understanding of epilepsy). Unfortunately, things slip through the cracks in the dumbest possible ways sometimes. Like cyberpunk 2077 literally using the "this thing kills epileptics dead" example video somewhere in their game, presumably because they thought this was the video that showed them the limit of what they could safely put in. Too bad it was the video demonstrating what absolutely not to do.

Anything else gets covered by the legal disclaimer at the start of almost every single game out there:
"CAUTION!
This game contains explosions and other flashing lights. It may not be suitable for people with photosensitive conditions such as photosensitive epilepsy. Player discretion is advised".

Note that it only told me what amounts to: "may or may not kill you at any given time, sucks to be you if you play it anyways".

This note doesn't really get shown until after the game is bought and installed.

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm beginning to think I am learning more from this thread than most places.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Hit me up with PMs if you ever want to me start ranting on and on about all the fun subtleties of epilepsy.

I naturally cannot claim to be speaking on behalf of all epileptics (there are around 50 million people around the world with this poo poo messing their lives up) because epilepsy is an umbrella designation covering a whole range of issues that all have similar looking symptoms.

I try to collect as many examples of stuff that has messed with my head previously so I can display an entire range of scenarios for anyone interested in learning about this.
Its also something I feel fairly unique in being able to teach, since my epilepsy is not going to trigger any actual seizure from just visual input. Mine is focused on being stressed, overheated and physically restrained.
The visual stuff still causes me some super lovely nausea and loss of communication skills for upwards of 4 hours per incident, but its not going to kill me, so I feel like I can offer a "safe" testing environment for any devs who care to take me up on the offer. (If you know any devs, game or otherwise, who would like access to this kind of feedback, be sure to connect them with me here or on discord where I go as Serth#1224. I do this stuff for free)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Start a thread instead!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Soul Dentist posted:

Start a thread instead!

Not a bad idea, but seing as how I'm not a veteran, does it belong in this subforum or should I put it in the ask/tell subforum?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

SerthVarnee posted:

Not a bad idea, but seing as how I'm not a veteran, does it belong in this subforum or should I put it in the ask/tell subforum?

Not that we're trying to drive away content in GiP but you'll get much better visibility overall in the Ask/Tell forum than here.

Good vibes: It looks like I might be changing jobs soon! I'll get to go back to working for a small company which is owned and run by people I respect and I get to work in a more research-oriented environment which is exactly what I was looking for. The deal's not done yet, but I'm calling it an 85% chance of new job by February 1st 2022.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Arishtat posted:

Not that we're trying to drive away content in GiP but you'll get much better visibility overall in the Ask/Tell forum than here.

Good vibes: It looks like I might be changing jobs soon! I'll get to go back to working for a small company which is owned and run by people I respect and I get to work in a more research-oriented environment which is exactly what I was looking for. The deal's not done yet, but I'm calling it an 85% chance of new job by February 1st 2022.

Early congratulations!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

I'm not a veteran either, so :justpost:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You don't need to come in here flexing your superior intelligence by bragging about not enlisting

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Sounds like I got myself a thread to make. One request though, I'm gonna need a volunteer to help me upload the various example images, gifs and videos I've collected. I got no experience actually posting files of any kind on something awful and experimenting with these particular pictures would be like standing on the receiving end of a firing range yelling "fire!" a lot to see if each shotgun works.

They'd also have to be done as links or spoilered, because a majority of them will have an effect on me similar to my current avatar.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Welp, here we go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999

Epilepsy chat is rolling out.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Some folks I know put up an animatronic Christmas show that changes daily, called the Christmas of the Moles https://www.kontiaistenjoulukuu.org/about-3
It's situated in a shop window at Turku, Finland, but you can watch the whole thing from their site, linked above.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I’m past two weeks on quitting weed and about a week on tobacco. I’ll take the small victories where I can.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

TheWeedNumber posted:

I’m past two weeks on quitting weed and about a week on tobacco. I’ll take the small victories where I can.

That first week off tobacco is the worst, congrats on holding out buddy!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

TheWeedNumber posted:

This is awesome.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We got lucky last night and had a bitchin sunset.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We got lucky last night and had a bitchin sunset.

Christ that’s beautiful

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So I don't love to put a ton about myself out on the internet, or brag for that matter, but I finally scored a pretty big promotion that I've been angling for recently, and since I don't have IRL friends, I'll tell you guys about it. The job comes with a 12 dollar/hr raise, a fancy job title, and a move across the country, with moving expenses paid for. I'm pretty pumped, as my line of work has been a nightmare through COVID, and I had been thinking about taking a pay cut and swapping to a less stressful job.
I'm super pumped and I'll probably be bugging the civ thread about PM certs in the next few weeks.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Congratulations!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's awesome. Good job!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good for you, dude. I'm stoked.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bengy81 posted:

So I don't love to put a ton about myself out on the internet, or brag for that matter, but I finally scored a pretty big promotion that I've been angling for recently, and since I don't have IRL friends, I'll tell you guys about it. The job comes with a 12 dollar/hr raise, a fancy job title, and a move across the country, with moving expenses paid for. I'm pretty pumped, as my line of work has been a nightmare through COVID, and I had been thinking about taking a pay cut and swapping to a less stressful job.
I'm super pumped and I'll probably be bugging the civ thread about PM certs in the next few weeks.

That’s great!

Don’t worry about the PMP. If you have common sense and an average memory you will be fine. PM me if you have questions.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Nice work

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I recently came across this really wholesome channel called Trybals, which is about rural Pakistani people reacting to stuff. It’s really interesting to hear their perspectives on (mostly) American media and music. Their video about painting along to a Bob Ross video will fill you with joy

https://youtu.be/iX5b5LvbR7Q

Their reactions to Metallica are pretty hilarious too

https://youtu.be/L9BpQ05Kt_k

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Watch the one with the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I recently came across this really wholesome channel called Trybals, which is about rural Pakistani people reacting to stuff. It’s really interesting to hear their perspectives on (mostly) American media and music. Their video about painting along to a Bob Ross video will fill you with joy
This right here is some of the most wholesome content ever created, and made what passes for my soul feel that perhaps humanity can be saved, if only for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Their reactions to Metallica are pretty hilarious too

https://youtu.be/L9BpQ05Kt_k

The video where they try Soul food is wonderful.