Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
We've survived another month.

Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
hell yeah october :spooky:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Old - Fat Bears. New - Lesbian Lizards.

As quoted from the wiki under behavior, "The lizard is a female-only species that reproduces by producing an egg through parthenogenesis. The whiptail engages in mating behavior with other females of its own species, giving rise to the common nickname "lesbian lizards" "

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man the Manchin yelling from yacht thing is a bit on the nose

Reality again lacking taste and subtlety

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pokemon of regular names

Khanstant posted:

here is Gordon

Plant MONSTER. posted:

this is Paul his tuque is his upper lip

Khanstant posted:

pm said to do gertie so here gertie

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 1, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Tired: horse paste

Wired: actual, legitimate anti-covid pill that wasn't on my radar

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1443888989140815885?s=19

Pill turned out so good that they terminated the clinical trial early and it's only $700 a treatment without any fancy infusion bullshit.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Another positive (and very New Zealand) story - guy and kids go missing, everyone assumes they were swept out to sea, turns out they were just doing a little real life Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the bush. I'm sure he's going to get an absolute thrashing from the family once they get over the initial relief though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/10/01/new-zealand-family-missing-found/

quote:

When police found Thomas Phillips’s silver Toyota Hilux abandoned on Kiritehere Beach near Marokopa, New Zealand, the tide was flowing in and threatening to sweep away the vehicle.

Relatives last saw Phillips, 34, and his three young children on Sept. 11 at a family farm, Waikato police said in a statement on Facebook. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary during the visit, and relatives thought Phillips had probably taken his kids to the coast to catch tiny fish called whitebait, a local delicacy.

That weekend, the surf near Kiritehere Beach was rough, and waves beat into the shoreline before a strong current pulled the water back out to sea in a rush. When Phillips failed to return to the farm with 8-year-old Jayda, 6-year-old Maverick and 5-year-old Ember, relatives worried the quartet may have been caught up in a violent swell.

“Because of where the vehicle was found we are understandably very anxious and fearful for the safety of Tom and the children,” the family said in a statement shared by the Waikato police on Sept. 14. “It is possible that they were all swept off the beach as the sea was particularly wild over the weekend.”

The children’s mother, whose relationship with Phillips was unclear, urged anyone with information to contact authorities.

Police and volunteers searched the coastline for nearly two weeks. Officials sent search-and-rescue teams into the ocean. Volunteers combed through nearby brush and beach sands. Police flew a fixed-wing plane to scour the horizon for signs of the family and piloted drones to probe hard-to-reach terrain.

As time wore on, the family began to lose hope of finding Phillips and the kids alive.

“It had seemed pretty obvious that they had gone into the sea,” Rozzi Pethybridge, Phillips’s sister, told the New Zealand Herald on Thursday. “Hope dwindled and we sort of became more and more resigned, and sad, just deeply sad.”

Still, the family and community tried to keep their hope alive. Phillips was an avid outdoorsman who intimately knew the local terrain and had experience hunting and foraging in the bush during long bouts in the wilderness, the Otago Daily Times reported.

“There was just a feeling they were still alive,” Wikitoria Day, one of the search volunteers, told the Daily Times. ” … There wasn’t an eerie feeling out there, that’s for sure.”

After 12 days, the active search ended, and police said they would resume those efforts if members of the public found any trace of the missing dad and kids. Four more days passed with no sign of the Phillips family.

Then, five days after the search-and-rescue efforts ceased, Phillips and the three children walked through the doors of the family farm unharmed.

The family had gone on an extended camping trip in the dense New Zealand bush, police said, about nine miles south of the beach where Phillips’s truck was found. They appeared to be completely unaware that the local community had been desperately searching for them.

When Pethybridge learned that her brother had been found safe, she said she was able to smile for the first time in weeks.

“Getting a phone call to say that they had come home was just shocking, in the best way possible,” Pethybridge told the Herald. ” … We’re very, very happy, but hard too after such a long time and being braced for the worst and sort of resigning ourselves to the fact that we’d probably never see them all again.”

According to police, Phillips had diligently planned the camping trip but had not informed friends or family about the lengthy excursion. Police said they would continue to speak with the family to seek clarity about their movements during their time away.

Pethybridge said kids were warm, dry and “perfectly healthy” when they returned home.

“It just goes down to Tom’s awesome skills as a bushman and as an outdoorsman,” she told the Herald.

Waikato West Area Commander Inspector Will Loughrin said in a statement on Wednesday that authorities are “so pleased that the family [has] returned home.”

“This is a family that experienced 17 days of hell, really,” he added at a news conference on Thursday. “This is a community that experienced 17 days of hell wondering what had happened to this family and these children. For the outcome to be what we always wanted is fantastic.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Pill turned out so good that they terminated the clinical trial early and it's only $700 a treatment without any fancy infusion bullshit.

I don't know what's funnier, that it's "only 700" or that that really is relatively cheap

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The guy that claimed he was the afghan baby crane at the turmp rally is being contradicted by his command.

https://www.businessinsider.com/marine-told-trump-rally-saved-afghan-baby-under-investigation-report-2021-10

quote:

While Clark did not say when he helped evacuate a baby, Clark's command told Task & Purpose that Clark was not the Marine seen in the August 19 video.

Clark is also under investigation as a result of his appearance, Task & Purpose reported.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

aphid_licker posted:

Man the Manchin yelling from yacht thing is a bit on the nose

Reality again lacking taste and subtlety

poo poo like that is a prime example of why me and my generation have been moving out of WV in droves over the last twenty years

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell yeah Horror movie season and Halloween time. 🎃

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think my brain is busted about halloween. I just don't care about it, at all. Don't really need horror movies anymore either, plenty of scarier poo poo on cable news than some boogeyman in a cornfield.

I'll be putting out candy for the neighborhood kids this year, though. First time I'll have done that in 6 years.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't know what's funnier, that it's "only 700" or that that really is relatively cheap

I'd expect insurers to cover that thing at drat near generic-levels of copays, though the feds are covering the first 1.7m courses of it. Monoclonals are $2100, plus labor expenses for the nurses/infusers, plus you have to go to a facility.

It's possible that my brain is hosed due to the American healthcare systems stupid poo poo, but $700 for a full treatment just doesn't sound terrible. Of course, the vaccines top out at like $30/dose, though the storage costs/steps are a bit nuts, but it's apparently a hell of a thing developing a new pill to fight a disease that's not even two years old yet. A shitload of them crashed and burned without doing anything.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I got my hopes up for about a sentence.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1443923224593637394?s=19

Edit: there's now a Derek Lowe post on the anti-covid pill here, but it has one hell of a funny quote in it as for how good the vaccines are:

quote:

Note that Merck specifically was looking at unvaccinated patients, because if the trial had been run in vaccinated ones not enough people would even have been hospitalized yet to be able to tell if the drug was doing anything.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 1, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

We've survived another month.

Dammit.

Thank you for linking the new thread in the old thread. Unlike SOME PEOPLE you are a mostly good poster.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think my brain is busted about halloween. I just don't care about it, at all. Don't really need horror movies anymore either, plenty of scarier poo poo on cable news than some boogeyman in a cornfield.

I'll be putting out candy for the neighborhood kids this year, though. First time I'll have done that in 6 years.

See for me I get to enjoy it with my kids, because otherwise I’d probably be more low key…well except for watching movies. Also I tend to incorporate sci-fi monster movies into the definition of horror so it’s a little more varied. Plus honestly the best horror is the unrealistic stuff in a sense. The stuff you can tell yourself is not real and it’s kind of relaxing. There is a quote from Lucio Fulci about it I need to dig up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alien might be dated, but the idea of a creature hunting you so it can use you as an incubator rather than eat you outright was always an unsettling place to start.

That was before H R Giger brought the concept to life in even more unsettling ways :v:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't know when my brain broke over horror, sci-fi horror included, it just doesn't register as anything more than unintentional comedy at best. Maybe it's years of desensitization, maybe it's the real monsters in the news every single day, but it all feels hollow.

Kinda feel like kids should be more afraid of their pastor than a swamp monster or an alien.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Now they just have to mandate that all horse dewormer has to be fortified with this poo poo and we'll finally have this pandemic beaten

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't know when my brain broke over horror, sci-fi horror included, it just doesn't register as anything more than unintentional comedy at best. Maybe it's years of desensitization, maybe it's the real monsters in the news every single day, but it all feels hollow.

Kinda feel like kids should be more afraid of their pastor than a swamp monster or an alien.

Bingo! That's the nice thing with horror film, while some are super realistic, most of them aren't, and it's kind of a release. I mean be afraid of the Priest wanting to sodomize a bunch of kids, but Jason isn't real and you don't have to worry about him punching your head off (real talk Part 8 if you just ignore the Manhattan aspect, being skimpy as hell), is really drat fun.

Also there is nothing wrong with unintentional comedy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think Alien holds up decently because:

A) Ash was the true villain, and Ian Holm carried it brilliantly
B) the creature itself only had like 4min of screen time across the entire movie, so you don’t get to see how silly the costume actually looks for any amount of time. Just flashes here and there.

I’ve been on an Aliens kick ever since Fireteam: Elite came out, then I went through Isolation…and also bought the Another Glorious Day in the Corps board game :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Icon Of Sin posted:

B) the creature itself only had like 4min of screen time across the entire movie, so you don’t get to see how silly the costume actually looks for any amount of time. Just flashes here and there.

I’ve been on an Aliens kick ever since Fireteam: Elite came out, then I went through Isolation…and also bought the Another Glorious Day in the Corps board game :v:

There is also an Alien RPG that Free League Press put out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

And another board game that came out in August set aboard the Nostromo :negative:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Bingo! That's the nice thing with horror film, while some are super realistic, most of them aren't, and it's kind of a release. I mean be afraid of the Priest wanting to sodomize a bunch of kids, but Jason isn't real and you don't have to worry about him punching your head off (real talk Part 8 if you just ignore the Manhattan aspect, being skimpy as hell), is really drat fun.

Also there is nothing wrong with unintentional comedy.

Yeah, I get that the idea is more of an escape from reality than a portrayal of it. Nothing wrong with unintentional comedy, but my mind just goes "meh" whenever I see a horror on.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 1, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The RPG has a bit of clunky stuff (vehicle combat), but I’ve really enjoyed it. Combat is loving brutal and usually quick. It’s very high risk/reward gameplay.

I played a few short (2-3 session ea) encounter this past year, and it can be a ton of fun just playing as the low key mechanic or grunt or whatever who usually isn’t the center of attention, but lives in the space of ultimately checking the player or character who goes off the deep end. Or who just fixes engines and stuff and avoids dying via being useful but a coward.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I dunno, I have high hopes for the new Candyman.
Edit wow I'm an idiot it came out a month ago

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 1, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Imo that's also what made the X files so effective. 99% of the time the monster was camera work, lighting, and actor reactions.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Spooky month off to a bad start.

One of my Crocs(tm) got a hole in it.

I’m devastated.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I’m devastated.

Crocs are famous for having holes in them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Fill it with RTV silicone.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Icon Of Sin posted:

Alien: Isolation is my all time favorite survival horror game, I hope they eventually either make a sequel or a similar style of horror game. Towards the end I could only play for like an hour at a time because of how tense the game is.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Crocs are famous for having holes in them.

Incidentally, crocs are infamous for leaving holes in others :dadjoke:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

I’m devastated.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1443408269628878851?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If he's letting it go that close I hope he's up for this being a weekly PT event.

Although, props to him for trying to catch and release, in SC it's illegal NOT to kill one that's been captured and that's some ole bullshit.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally they should keep exploring this.

Senior Biden aides privately explored whether payments could continue even if U.S. breached debt ceiling
Despite extensive review, White House says only option remains for Congress to pass legislation to avert calamity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/10/01/white-house-debt-ceiling/

I also thought FI the was kidding about the trillion dollars coin. Welp I was wrong. lol that said when he calls the same type of problems like in Venezuela or Zimbabwe or Weimer Germany when they just tried to keep printing money? I'll freely admit econ isn't my thing, so people can feel free to explain why it is or isn't similar.

WaPo posted:

Liberals such as Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) have also proposed minting a “trillion-dollar coin” that would allow Treasury to continue to pay its bills. Yellen ruled out that approach in her testimony.
“I believe the only way to handle the debt ceiling is for Congress to raise it and show the world, the financial markets, and the public that we’re a country that will pay our bills when we incur them,” Yellen said.

mlmp08 posted:

The RPG has a bit of clunky stuff (vehicle combat), but I’ve really enjoyed it. Combat is loving brutal and usually quick. It’s very high risk/reward gameplay.

I played a few short (2-3 session ea) encounter this past year, and it can be a ton of fun just playing as the low key mechanic or grunt or whatever who usually isn’t the center of attention, but lives in the space of ultimately checking the player or character who goes off the deep end. Or who just fixes engines and stuff and avoids dying via being useful but a coward.

I wonder if some of the clunky stuff is unique to alien or just the way they create their games? I did back there twilight 2000 and I have the manual but I haven’t had a chance to really look through it, it does look pretty goddamn complex, but then again it is Twilight2K.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2021

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Why do we have our enormous military if not to tell people we owe money to to gently caress off?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Bad Poster posted:

Why do we have our enormous military if not to tell people we owe money to to gently caress off?

I like this idea! lol

That said I think it’s illegal to settle international debt disputes anymore with military forces. There were a couple of early 20th century incidents with European powers and South and Central America and the US and in the end mediation became the new method.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Personally they should keep exploring this.

On/around October 18th, every single option is bad. You can default and obliterate the economy. You can outright stop spending, which is not just impossible, but an unconstitutional halting because Congress told you to spend it. Or, you can simply ignore the debt ceiling and issue more debt like usual, which might not be bought because it's unconstitutional to raise debt above what Congress says.

The platinum coin idea exploits a loophole, but still has some downsides of #3 as bond buyers are all like "uhhhhh is this going to be legit?" and your only debt buyer becomes the Federal Reserve. And the Supreme Court has basically said that per the Constitution, Congress controls the purse strings (unless Donnie uses money for his wall). So I'm on Team Coin, gently caress the stupid ceiling.

Congress is basically telling the White House to spend money, but being dumb each time. Under a CR, you're given a credit card to spend their $10K, and you're ordered to spend their $10K, but it magically turns off when the fiscal year ends. That at least makes some sense. The debt ceiling is like Congress handing you a credit card with a $10K limit, then telling you that by law, $15K is going to be charged against it any day now. Biden/Yellen are saying "hey, raise the credit limit so we can follow your law to spend $15K and this thing doesn't default" and Congressional Republicans are all like "lol no get rekt follow the law"

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1443903283760930819?s=20

In a feel good story. Get hosed Alex, I hope a jury doesn’t even leave you your fillings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My mom wasn’t feeling well last night, thought she had heartburn. Her husband woke up to her barely breathing and unresponsive this morning. They think she had a heart attack but they’re running tons of tests. She’s still unresponsive though so that’s not a good sign. I was going to drive the 11 hours home but as I was driving past the airport I figured I’d check for a flight and got one. I couldn’t book online so I naturally had to pay extra and the person got my last name and birthday wrong. I’m glad I didn’t try to go through security first. I have to sit here for a few hours but I’ll get there about 3 hours sooner.