Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I collect some magic cards. I'm sure a lot of other people do too, but here I'm talking specifically about collecting not just deckbuilding.

There's lots of ways to collect cards. Some people try to get complete sets, in foil or nonfoils. Some people go for the hard-to-do Global sets, where you get a single card in every possible available printing. Chris Wilson, CEO of Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile) is well known for having a global set of Tundras.

For me, it's Forests. I play the deck Lands in legacy, and that deck plays a single basic forest. This kind of lead me in to collecting lots of different ones!

Here's some of the interesting ones I have. They go from most unique (left) to most "common" (right). I have more than this but I didnt want to bother getting everything out.

Starting with the most common, I have some signed full arts, Arena promos, dark art misprints, and a slight miscut from a precon deck.

Next I have some basics that were in the Portal: Three Kingdoms preconstructed decks, but only in Chinese. They have bamboo!

This starts to get in to the cooler stuff. Two Beta, one misaligned but not quite a miscut. A miscut Odyssey foil, FBB, and Ice Age snow covered

These ones get to the harder to find in good condition. A summer forest B and a guru.

And, finally, my jewel. This is from a test print of 10th edition. It's entirely unique, and features one of the test forgery protection stamps in the bottom right. It has a few siblings, each with its own stamp, but it is actually one of a kind. It even features on the Librarities site.

If you're interested in looking at cool rare cards, that "MTG Librarities" site I mentioned is a great place - https://www.magiclibrarities.net/

It has lots of neat stuff.

So who out there has some cool magic collections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Same here. My stuff isn't quite on that scale but if I'm going to bring a $20,000 deck to play a card game I'm not going to risk that on a spill (so to speak).

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

givepatajob posted:

I have this hanging at my desk. It's a new set, but these module lands from the Forgotten Realms set are dope as hell.

Why did you choose that layout? Were they ordered in some way? Looks nice, just curious!

e; Oh, it's card rarity->number

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lead By Example posted:

I got these in a few months ago. I've always been more of a Pokemon guy, but I figure this makes the cut. I'm probably going to have to sell it eventually, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts :allears:

Complete set of the alternate art Planeswalkers from War of the Spark, all in Pre-Release printing.

I love that the lili is just worth 100x what the rest of them are

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thanks for collecting! I doubt this thread will get much traffic at this point, but I'll leave it open and have requested a mod change its name to make it a bit clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nothing specific from me but Pokemon stuff is pretty fun to open because there's so many variants of all of the different cards. They're not all valuable, but if you're just looking for cool looking trading cards it's great.