Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

he wrote hatchet and he was a really cool guy he came and spoke to my school when i was a kid and signed my copies of hatchet and the river, he was 82 they said he died suddenly but didnt give a reason so im sad now rest in peace cool dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now you're just stealing Driftingmouse's gimmick, this is a step too far.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

he realy did died though and he meant a lot to me ):

Mega64
May 23, 2008

All I remember about Hatchet is the kid using his knowledge of ~refraction~ to spear a fish.

I'm assuming that's Hatchet, if not then I don't know what the gently caress Hatchet is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Anyway I'm sorry this guy died and you deserved to make this death thread more than Driftingmouse.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I tend to be aware of YA authors, but I had not heard of this one. I looked him up, and saw that he started writing after I graduated from high school, so I missed my first window of opportunity. His bio sounds like his yearly life was tough, but he used it well. Sorry to hear he died.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Genesplicer posted:

I tend to be aware of YA authors, but I had not heard of this one. I looked him up, and saw that he started writing after I graduated from high school, so i missed my first window of opportunity. His bio sounds like his yearly life was tough, but he used it well. Sorry to hear he died.

his books are fairly simple fare but really
enjoyable and they are what got me into reading and also into camping and eventually scouts

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

So does this mean we can start posting The Farside comics on the forums now?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i read hatchet in like 1990 and i remember liking it but i dont really remember much except for the fact that iirc he gets pretty good at survival and when he finds the rifle he becomes an unstoppable killing force.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I loved Hatchet, I ended up reading the river which was sort of a dumb sequel and Dancing Carl which was about an alcoholic war vet who was secretly great at ice skating and he taught the young main character about life but i really wish there were scenes of a trembling drunk old man in a shack sweatily recounting when he had to call in a airstrike on a Vietnamese children's school or something while the kid freaks out, but Mr Paulson obviously ignored my editing suggestions that I mailed to him so the book wasn't great

But Gary Paulson was great and I really loved Hatchet as a kid and I hope he "died suddenly" because he was fistfighting a bear

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I also remember the plane crash part of hatchet being really scary and it turns out big parts of his writing are based on his own life experiences, like he sounds like he really lived a heck of a life

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i guess he bought his first rifle at 12 years old and hunted deer for food because his parents were drunks who didnt buy food

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I liked Hatchet and the winter sequel. I haven't read anything else of his. My condolences to his family.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i lived under a bridge for two years and while i was a ketamine addicted criminal instead of an incredibly resourceful survivalist teen other than that we basically lived the same life

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

The Hatchet is the book that started my love of reading :)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That sucks, I liked his books. :rip: to a real one

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Hatchet was probably one of the first novels I'd ever read. I ended up reading the "what if" sequel Brian's Winter, and The River sequel when I was a kid. Might actually still have them.

My parents bought Dogsong for me too, but I never picked it up for some reason.

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess I read Brian's Return also, but all I remember from it was the quote "You can take the man out of the woods, but you can't take the woods out of the man", which I guess it's known for.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 14, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRAvju_iBrM

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
HIS NAME WAS GARY PAULSON!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Hatchet was a fantastic book and every kid should read it

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

i loved hatchet :smith:

for some reason people from my childhood that i never knew, like gary paulsen, feel like bigger losses than people that i actually knew face-to-face later in life.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

op, his name was Robert hth

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Brother Tadger posted:

So does this mean we can start posting The Farside comics on the forums now?

Now? There was an entire sub-forum dedicated to them a couple years ago but it was shut down due to mod drama (specifically the mod of the forum being a sex pest in true SA mod fashion).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

op, his name was Robert hth

ah, yes, bitch-tits. Same last name, but, I don't think they are related

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Don't know dat

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

He wrote a book called like "the rifle" or something that was a pretty kickin rad anti-gun book but he did a great job of tracing the entire lineage of all the parts that went into it and it was neat. You should read it.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mega64 posted:

All I remember about Hatchet is the kid using his knowledge of ~refraction~ to spear a fish.

I'm assuming that's Hatchet, if not then I don't know what the gently caress Hatchet is.

:same:

How is it everyone read Hatchet as a kid?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

it's well written, teaches a lot, and has some fun along with it!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Gary Paulsen more like perry failson

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I didn’t read Hatchet. AMA

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Pug Rodeo posted:

how old are you and whats your favorite song right now

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pug Rodeo posted:

How did you survive?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hatchet was cool and I appreciated the "what if" scenario with Brian's Winter being quite short and not overstaying its welcome, but it's also been probably 20 years since I read it

He actually did a fantasy book with time travel/alternate dimension stuff going on called The Transall Saga and I loving loved that book and it sent me down the path of reading deeper stuff

Genuinely bummed out :rip:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sophy Wackles posted:

it was the harry potter of its day, except that his parents were alive, and also instead of a wand there was a hatchet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Prof. Crocodile posted:

it was the harry potter of its day, except that his parents were alive, and also instead of a wand there was a hatchet.

I don't think I can argue against this point

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
A Cry in the Wild was enjoyable and largely impossible to see outside of a lovely YouTube vhs rip, also rip the dude

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TheBuilder posted:

A Cry in the Wild was enjoyable and largely impossible to see outside of a lovely YouTube vhs rip, also rip the dude

this dude grew up in the 90s

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

HIS NAME WAS GARY PAULSON!

Came to post this

Hatchet was the poo poo but I liked My Side of the Mountain more I think

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I thought this was Robert Cormier then learned he’s been dead for 20 years

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I also read The River, Brian's Winter, and Brian's Return.

I remember The River being kind of a weirder action adventure novel, Brian's Winter being cool as hell where he fought a moose with a spear he made, and Brian's Return being kind of a weird one where he seemed traumatised and went back to the woods with a high quality canoe.

Evidently there's another one called Brian's Hunt where he hangs out with native americans.