Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

General Dog posted:

University of Texas at Austin - 4-3
UT-San Antonio + UT-El Paso - 13-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I know the trigger finger is probably getting itchy for Nebraska with Frost, but it still essentially seems like a good enough team that’s been exceptionally unlucky. It’s not like other compelling candidates are just lining up for the job. Much like Michigan with Harbaugh, if you can’t make it work with Frost, maybe it’s just not ever going to work.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

All evidence seems to indicate that for Coach O, the one year where he had the best team in college football history was the aberration, and all the other seasons where he hasn’t been very successful are the norm.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UTSA is ranked 25 in the coaches poll.

Rank UTEP, you cowards!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rolovic should be a pretty hot candidate for G5 if he gets axed, right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Georgia may not give up 20 points until the playoffs, and that includes Bama.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like poor form and maybe a bad idea for all of these LSU surrogates to fire off their prepared hit pieces when he’s already bought out but still in the building.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Vol fans might be more sympathetic if the call in question was actually wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sure, sure, but trying to gently caress the pregnant wives of school administrators that you meet at the gas station is the sort of aggressive, high risk offense you can’t get away with in the SEC.

U miss 100% of the shots you don't take

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That sucks, but honestly speaking OSU is probably the second or third best team in the country right now.

If Oregon goes 12-1, I don't think they need to worry about being left out, though. (They're not going 12-1)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Omnikin posted:

B1G East is gonna be a bloodbath through the end of the season, poo poo. Like I knew this but looking at the schedules, good luck and godspeed to whoever survives to championship weekend

Ohio State is still substantially better than all of them, imo. They might drop one to Penn State/MSU/Michigan, but that’s probably still enough to win the division.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I wonder if things go real bad at WVU this offseason and the insane fanbase/boosters there whip themselves up into a frenzy if Brown would be a target for LSU.

Probably a 2nd or 3rd option I'd guess, if at all.

We’re talking Neal Brown? At this point he seems closer to getting fired than he is to leaving for a bigger job, though I don’t see either happening this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, the boosters and fanbase get real riled up after a disappointing 2021.

I think he's done fine but a lot of the fanbase is running out of patience and so are some of the more connected boosters.

Oh okay, I took you to mean he could be a target for LSU, which I don’t think is on the table.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There've been a lot of takes about Rolovich to the tune of "also he sucked anyway", as if that could possibly be assessed 11 games in. David Roth even held up last year's recruiting class- #9 in Pac-12, 60 in FBS- as bad recruiting, even though that's very much in line with much of the past decade.

His behavior is certainly a fireable offense, but there's no reason to muddy the waters with poor-faith criticisms of the actual football product.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What part of Big Noon Saturday don’t you understand?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That’s a curious selection of teams. Even if you’re taking exclusively from the southern C-USA schools, Southern Miss and/or Louisiana Tech seem like stronger additions than Rice. If you put those two in the Sun Belt, these conferences are more or less on even footing

Wonder if this means WKU and Marshall are heading to the MAC. Seems like a better prospect than staying in whatever is left of C-USA (which may well be nothing).

Also, tough beat for UTEP.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 19, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t see any reason he won’t coach again within the next 2 or 3 years. Some FCS will certainly take a flyer on him, and he’ll probably be successful.

That or he’ll go coach offense somewhere.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Incredible poster, though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

I just realized with the AAC expansion news, this literally makes twice the Big East has torn Conference USA down to the frame around Southern Miss and left them standing in the rubble

If Southern Miss goes to the Sun Belt, is that really a worse conference?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So every team except Temple and Navy will be a C-USA alumn, and Temple and USF will be the only members dating back to the bygone days of the Big East (pre-2013).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Time for Fun Belt expansion:

East
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Troy
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
South Alabama
Liberty

West
Arkansas State
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
Texas State
Louisiana Tech
Sam Houston State
Southern Miss

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

Than the wreckage of C-USA? It's actually better, which is not any kind of praise whatsoever

No, I mean the current Sun Belt isn’t far behind the new AAC in terms on field product.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I had to look at the comments to see what was going on here. I thought maybe they were painting “MANLINESS” in the end zones.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If Lane is still there when he comes up, they might have a pretty good shot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

It's not, but the difference in payout will be unjustifiably insane.

I don’t know, the AAC lost enough teams that ESPN basically gets to tear up the contract, if I understand correctly. I’m sure they’ll be ahead money-wise, but I don’t see any reason they should be drastically ahead.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Disappointing, if not surprising, that he's taking the litigious route. If he'd just left the money and walked into the sunset without ever explaining himself, there'd at least be an element of- I dunno, I guess I'd call it "heroic nihilism"- to the whole thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You heard it here first, folks. Seems logical that Louisiana Tech would be soon to follow. WKU and Marshall to the MAC?

I don't know what happens to MTSU, FIU, and Old Dominion. UTEP is probably doomed to wander the Earth alongside New Mexico State.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 20, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TipTow posted:

So will CUSA just collapse at this point? The Sun Belt has been more competitive than them for a few years already.

I think it's toast. They'll have seven teams left, and at least three of them are likely to have more appealing options than sticking around and rebuilding the conference with some FCS randos.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I almost wonder if Southern Miss turned down the AAC in favor of the Sun Belt.

Also is there any reliable source that this is real yet?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 20, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

a neat cape posted:

The MWC is doing nothing btw

What should the MWC do? Just staving off the AAC is a pretty big win. The Big 12 will continue to be something of an existential threat going forward, but there’s not much they can do about that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

Per Jason Munz, former USM beat writer, they would have accepted an AAC invite but did not get one.

Well, they should’ve lied about it.

Has there been any corroboration of the Sun Belt news?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What happened to the Big Ten not scheduling FCS opponents anymore? Was that more of a guideline?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pee pee doo doo it is a bad conference

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The MWC could've had UTEP in a second at any point since the dissolution of the WAC; I don't see much reason to think they'd suddenly want them now. I would think the MAC would take Marshall back in a heartbeat, maybe along with WKU.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Yeah, the ACC/SEC/Big10/PAC12 have hoovered up teams at the expense of everyone else.

Memphis is really the only viable P5 (or P4.5, whatever) promotion candidate left east of the Rockies. Maybe SMU really catches fire or USF gets its act together in the next decade, but they have a ways to go.

One intriguing thing about all of this- when the 6+6 playoff format was proposed over the summer, the blanket assumption was, "well, 90% of the time it's going to be the P5 plus the AAC champ." That's out the window now. If the playoff remains at 6 autobids (which isn't at all a safe assumption), the competition for that sixth spot is going to be wide open a lot of years.

If I was going to do a "winners and losers of 2021 realignment" clickbait listicle, I think the MWC would actually be one of the biggest winners. They staved off the AAC, didn't lose anything to the Big 12, and they seem to be a fairly safe bet to be the strongest conference in the G5 more often than not. They stayed the same while almost everyone else got worse.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 21, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah it's great. If we end up with a 6-autobid playoff, we will see a Sun Belt team make it within the first decade. We'll definitely see an MWC team make it, and hell, we may even see a MAC team make it. That's great for the sport.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Even if playoff only settles with 5 autobids, the Big 12 is in extremely good shape. At this point they're going to be miles ahead of the G5 in terms of money and perceived strength.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

Breaking up JMU and W&M is like breaking up UVA and VT. JMU will do it for the money, rivalries be damned. They've been eyeing that jump to FBS for a while. Unless you are a P5 team with the TV cash or a geographically tight knit G5 like the MAC, these sprawling conferences seem like a long term money loser

Haven’t VT and UVa only been in the same conference for like 15 years?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Alabama isn’t getting in if they lose to Georgia. Not unless every Power 5 conference champ has 3 losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How did Louisiana Tech end up stranded like this? They were a model G5 program for many years, now they’re getting blackballed from the Sun Belt by the ULs?