Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Its always seemed obvious to me in the various actual plays i've seen that the jokes keep you around the characters long enough for you to start caring so the emotional stuff then lands, its how CR, TAZ and Dimension 20 at least all work. You start watching and stick around for the laughs and the sillyness, then over time the comedy becomes affection. So yeah of course the early episode are gonna be sillier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

eke out posted:

lots of talk in some reviews about just how fast some things move, I wonder if the Briarwoods isn't going to be done by midway and they start the chroma conclave stuff sooner than i thought
Not surprising. There's a lot of story to cover, future events to set up, and characters they need to make you care about for just 12 short episodes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Catching the last hour of C3E11 because I dozed off on Thursday and getting hyped for Imogen's possible connection to MOON LORE.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Todays the day kickstartet backers will get to watch the first two eps, i'm pretty excited

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Would one of you backers like to make a Legends of Vox Machina thread?

If not, polite request for spoiler tags :) I'd normally just avoid the thread to be safe until they're out on Prime, but someone scheduled a chaotic oneshot between now and then.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Senjuro posted:

Not surprising. There's a lot of story to cover, future events to set up, and characters they need to make you care about for just 12 short episodes.

We definitely won't get just one season about the Chroma Conclave, but I'll be disappointed if the Taryon arc gets covered in less than a season. That arc was hysterical.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Episodes 1-2 pretty explicitly set up the Chroma Conclave

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Dexo posted:

Episodes 1-2 pretty explicitly set up the Chroma Conclave

The curious thing is going to be if they make that a big part of the first season, which frankly I doubt. The Briarwoods are more than enough for a season. I would imagine the first season will end with the fall of Emon.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I'll be disappointed if the Taryon arc gets covered in less than a season. That arc was hysterical.

I'm now very curious how folks first introduced to
CR by the animated series would respond to Scanlan's replacement. I feel like the actual play format (and all of their OOC reactions to "little elf girl") bought a lot of goodwill towards a character designed to troll the audience from the jump.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Well, that was an awful lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing more once the show officially launches.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Thank you both for using the spoiler code!

Anyone want to claim making the Legends thread or should I plan on :justpost:ing Thursday instead of the actual things I ought to be doing?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just realized I had to RSVP to see the show early and the time's up for it, tragic

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Paracaidas posted:

I'm now very curious how folks first introduced to
CR by the animated series would respond to Scanlan's replacement. I feel like the actual play format (and all of their OOC reactions to "little elf girl") bought a lot of goodwill towards a character designed to troll the audience from the jump.

I want to know how they feel about him before and then after he's beaten into crying.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jetrauben posted:

The curious thing is going to be if they make that a big part of the first season, which frankly I doubt. The Briarwoods are more than enough for a season. I would imagine the first season will end with the fall of Emon.

Probably not much, just like they've done, some mentions about dragons on the move in the background

And yeah the Fall of Emon is like the perfect stinger to end a season on.

Also

Lol Tusk Love

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's going to be interesting to see how the show handles the tone shift into the scarier parts of the Briarwoods arc and of course the Chroma Conclave.

Episode 40 is still branded into my mind. Marisha really gave it her all with Keyleth breaking down.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's going to be interesting to see how the show handles the tone shift into the scarier parts of the Briarwoods arc and of course the Chroma Conclave.

Episode 40 is still branded into my mind. Marisha really gave it her all with Keyleth breaking down.

probably pretty good. judging by the first few episodes. It doesn't seem like they have any limits on what they can do.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

JT Jag posted:

Just realized I had to RSVP to see the show early and the time's up for it, tragic

It’s replaying at 12:30 pst!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

hollylolly posted:

It’s replaying at 12:30 pst!

To get the code you had to RSVP by a certain date that was sometime last week. It's replaying all day too.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

seaborgium posted:

To get the code you had to RSVP by a certain date that was sometime last week. It's replaying all day too.

Oh I misread their post, thought they were saying they HAD rsvp-ed and were saying they missed the showing.

Yep, that’s a bummer.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Dexo posted:

probably pretty good. judging by the first few episodes. It doesn't seem like they have any limits on what they can do.

It's going to be funny to see people going in expecting a vulgar comedy romp only to see some horror and tragedy (which still a vulgar comedy romp).

It's the opposite of the impressions of Critical Role, though. People expect a fantasy epic and quickly get a monkey smearing the Dwarf sorcerer in poo poo and a robot named Pussy. The epic comes later. But I expect people to be absolutely confused and turned off by the first episode thinking they were going to get Record of Lodoss War.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol somebody looked her up using the CR wiki not the imdb

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

JT Jag posted:

FWIW I didn't RSVP and got a code. Maybe check your junk folder just in case?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah in Gmail it showed up in my promotions folder

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Dexo posted:

yeah in Gmail it showed up in my promotions folder

Same, check your promotions! Search all mail if you have gmail.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fauxshiz posted:

Same, check your promotions! Search all mail if you have gmail.

The code came from voxmachinahelp@littlecinema.net (at least for me since I RSVPed) so maybe check for emails from that address.

It's going to be funny to see people going in expecting a vulgar comedy romp only to see some horror and tragedy (which still a vulgar comedy romp).

It's the opposite of the impressions of Critical Role, though. People expect a fantasy epic and quickly get a monkey smearing the Dwarf sorcerer in poo poo and a robot named Pussy. The epic comes later. But I expect people to be absolutely confused and turned off by the first episode thinking they were going to get Record of Lodoss War.

Honestly, I felt they went a little too hard on trying to be "adult". It's not the end of the world, but someone really wanted to make sure that they showed all the gruesome deaths.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly, I felt they went a little too hard on trying to be "adult". It's not the end of the world, but someone really wanted to make sure that they showed all the gruesome deaths.

yeah I saw more than one review that said the first couple seemed to be a little try-hard in that way

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Honestly, that's both true - jesus, they show a middle-aged woman basically barbecued screaming by lightning onscreen! - and sort of illustrates the sheer degree of convenient abstraction we do in D&D or other fantasy-violence games and stories where our heroes and villains somehow always look stylish and cool and largely un-disfigured during life or death combat, because treating people as actually getting maimed or broken by injury would break the fantasy.

Still better than Castlevania, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think it's less that and more gotta show lots of gore and nudity and say the gently caress word a lot because that's the only way you can know it's a Mature Cartoon For Adults.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

I think it's less that and more gotta show lots of gore and nudity and say the gently caress word a lot because that's the only way you can know it's a Mature Cartoon For Adults.

Oh I don't think it was intentional at all (not that the show is any less gruesome than the game, really), it just got me thinking.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly, that's both true - jesus, they show a middle-aged woman basically barbecued screaming by lightning onscreen! - and sort of illustrates the sheer degree of convenient abstraction we do in D&D or other fantasy-violence games and stories where our heroes and villains somehow always look stylish and cool and largely un-disfigured during life or death combat, because treating people as actually getting maimed or broken by injury would break the fantasy.

Still better than Castlevania, though.

Castlevania loved to used gently caress a lot which was a bit jarring for a franchise light on the swearing. At least the vulgarity in the Vox Machina show is derived from the source material.

It will be cool as hell to see Kevdak’s death to Grog in animated form, though.

DesertIslandHermit fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 25, 2022

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Lotus Aura posted:

It could also be influenced by the fact that some of the other distributors they approached wanted them to make a kid-friendly show:

“There were other potential distributors that we were talking about that were more interested in making it maybe a children’s show, or wanting to go a different direction, or [make it into a] more serious political fantasy, a la Game of Thrones.”

Source

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 26, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Feel like they've done a good job so far with the first two episodes of the show. The pacing of events in episode 1 felt a little rushed as they tried to get everything needed for the next couple episodes established. But episode two was already going at a much better speed. They could easily have season 01 just be the Briars at this pace and on to the Chroma for season 2 and if they get renewed for 3 or 4 they could do either the build up to and then Vecna across both or just Vecna in 4.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

They just sent another email to all Kickstarter backers, along the lines of “no RSVP? No problem!” with an access code so you can watch the VoD tomorrow.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone know how the upcoming watch party will work?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Castlevania loved to used gently caress a lot which was a bit jarring for a franchise light on the swearing. At least the vulgarity in the Vox Machina show is derived from the source material.

It will be cool as hell to see Kevdak’s death to Grog in animated form, though.

Honestly it's not the vulgarity that gets me; I've watched the game for years so I wasn't shocked or surprised by the swearing or the innuendo. And I expected some amount of the gore; I knew this wasn't going to be the kind of show where the opponents just get knocked out.

It was more that several scenes felt a little gratuitous to make sure you knew this wasn't for kiddies. Just off the top of my head: Ok sure Scanlan's loving the inn keeper's daughter (complete with topless shot), but did we have to cut back to him going down on her just to drive it home? Or when the dragon is vaporizing people, we already saw one dude just get shriveled, but then we had to linger on the leader having her skin melted off while she screams. Then little things like seeing the bottom of Scanlans balls when his pants fall down, or how so many people just tended to explode/get launched onto things that conveniently impale them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone know how the upcoming watch party will work?

Based on my experience with every other Twitch watch party, fuckin poorly due to region restrictions :mad:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

It was more that several scenes felt a little gratuitous to make sure you knew this wasn't for kiddies. Just off the top of my head: Ok sure Scanlan's loving the inn keeper's daughter (complete with topless shot), but did we have to cut back to him going down on her just to drive it home? Or when the dragon is vaporizing people, we already saw one dude just get shriveled, but then we had to linger on the leader having her skin melted off while she screams. Then little things like seeing the bottom of Scanlans balls when his pants fall down, or how so many people just tended to explode/get launched onto things that conveniently impale them.

My wife tends not to enjoy graphic depictions of gore so the stuff you flagged were all something to get through rather than enjoyed for her. So I for sure get where you are coming from.

Also does anyone remember how old Grog is supposed to be here? He looks akin to a baby faced high school linebacker to me.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dameius posted:

My wife tends not to enjoy graphic depictions of gore so the stuff you flagged were all something to get through rather than enjoyed for her. So I for sure get where you are coming from.

Also does anyone remember how old Grog is supposed to be here? He looks akin to a baby faced high school linebacker to me.

Early twenties. Goliath years are the same as humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Its funny because I'm at the point in my re-watch of C2 where the kickstarter stuff is going on and they're all getting blown away by its success.

So hyped that I get to finally see it now :D