Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Evil Willow posted:

AITA because I decided to stop cooking and cleaning to teach my husband a lesson in appreciation?

If my wife ever serves me with divorce papers I'll simply counter with a curated selection of r/r posts like this one (and of course some rear end-wiping impaired men) along with a note asking if she really wants to take her chances finding someone who meets basic human requirements, you know, like me. Why is it so difficult for these manchildren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

For a palette-cleanser, a quartet from /r/mensa; the first three are title-only. And as always, I'm glad I never tried to join this group:

quote:

Is there a calculator/formula where I can put in my IQ and my partner’s IQ to get an estimated IQ for our future children?

quote:

What peoples with high IQ make better than peoples with normal IQ ?

quote:

I have zero interest in travel. Is that a smart person thing or am I just strange?

quote:

Being a Mensan with a non-Mensan spouse
... I haven't [joined] yet but I am sort of wondering about events for if and when I do. I don't really want to leave my girlfriend behind to attend [MENSA] events. Is there any such thing as +1 events or does everyone attending always have to be a member?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Get the gurglespurts pants

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Virtue cheating is when you tell your partner that, per Plato, justice is that which is due each person, but you run around with some hussy on the side and formulate with her a theory of justice using Rawl's veil of ignorance thought experiment.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zurtilik posted:

I've posted a few in quick succession so I'll chill a bit now.

My girlfriend's dad is upset and uncomfortable that we are going to take an international backpack trip and I was hoping to get a bit of advice on what to tell him to ease him a bit

I love this guy, the storied world traveler: "I understand all you essentially have to do to gain respect of the locals is make an effort to learn THEIR LANGUAGE AND THEIR CUSTOMS and you will most likely be accepted (Source: 13 days in 4 capital cities in Europe back in September 2016)"

That's like 2 days per city, 3 if you're really generous around assumptions about flight schedules/overnight trains. But I'll rely on Mr. "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" to tell me about travel.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Having drunk regular coke and coke zero I can 100% taste the difference between them as can most people. This goes double for someone that is on a medical diet and only drinks zero.

In one of the postscripts: "Also I can’t taste the difference as I had covid last year and my taste has been “dulled” in a way"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

And here’s where I admit to being the rear end in a top hat: years ago in the Before Times when I had an annual pass my first stop at Epcot was always the Coke gift shop/tasting station and I would excitedly proclaim “oh wow, try the Beverly!” to my friends who already had done so. Without fail someone within earshot would in fact try the Beverly on the word of a complete stranger who wasn’t even addressing them. The reactions were golden, especially from the little boy who loved it to the shock of his parents.

I actually like Beverly and wish I could get a hold of some, I miss it.

I missed the Beverly chat earlier but I remember only three things from the World of Coke in Atlanta: 1) you get a free little can of whatever type of Coke you want, 2) Greece has Grapefruit Fanta that is like 10x better than Fresca, and 3) Beverly, the Italian soft drink, is literally dirt flavored. Not "earthy", not talking about "terroir", just dirt.

You, Superman's Gal Pal, are a monster, both for deceiving innocent civilians and for liking this abomination of a beverage

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cumshitter posted:

Not only is he gross, but inventing debt and saying you'll forgive it for sex counts as solicitation of prostitution which pretty much invalidates any threats he could make of taking her to court.

Yeah, attempts to solicit his ex-wife aside, one of the purposes of divorce is to apportion assets and debts among the two parties, and unless she was concealing debt that impacted him (by taking out a credit card in his or both their names and running it up), no court will pay any attention and she should tell him to pound sand. (IANAL; don't take advice from me.) Or tell him to whack off, which would be more suitable for his demand for sex.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kimbo305 posted:

It's kind of weird that Google's not sophisticated enough to handle this one letter difference.

Google's not optimized to handle Old Norse

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for telling my sister what she said is a HIPAA violation and she shouldn’t share personal information?

Automatically not the rear end in a top hat because she didn't spell it "HIPPA"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my fiancee I am not willing to lie about how we met to her family and friends?

So I started to sympathize with the fiancée in this story...I met my wife online over 15 years ago, we lived two miles away from each other, it was in the dark ages of online dating (Yahoo! Personals, back when that was a thing), and I was a bit embarrassed by the whole thing. I asked her if we could say we met at the Borders* that was between our houses. She goodnaturedly/exhasperatedly agreed, and that was the story I told until we got married.

However, I did not ask her to propagate any other outlandish stories. The fact that such a wonderful person would date a troglodyte like me was outlandish enough already.

* oh hell, do I need to explain to younger goons what Borders was? It was a bookstore like Barnes and Noble...oh poo poo, I guess that doesn't work any more either

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for accepting a free drink from a stranger while on a first date?

ESH -- the lady for accepting the drink and the guy for getting up and leaving in a huff. I have spoken.

Seriously, I've been married so long the dating scene is a vague memory but would accepting the shot be acceptable under any circumstances while on a date?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e: ^^ maybe not "have to fight to keep a good relationship" but yeah, having and keeping good relationships are hard tasks. Having a lovely relationship is easy, at least in the sense it doesn't take a lot of proactive work or consideration. Or maybe I'm not getting the point.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for accusing my daughter's mother of making me a deadbeat?

Update: AITA for accusing my daughter's mother of making me a deadbeat?

Get this wholesome poo poo out of my agony column toot suite SVP

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 30, 2021

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

teen witch posted:

I’d want my kids to have hyphenated last names as mines has a Weird letter in it

A digamma? Better yet, a missing digamma?

A qoph?

Please do tell!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HerStuddMuffin posted:

It is such a shame that this sentence is too long for a thread title.

How about :

I accept that Im an rear end in a top hat...because of the kind of people agreeing with me

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking for more child support?

I don't understand how you could get a monthly child support award in that amount. In Illinois, it is 20% of your net income. I can't imagine that it's orders of magnitude different elsewhere

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling my husband unreasonable for only wanting to invite people he knows personally to our son's birthday party?

Disrespecting my authority!!

They've been together for 10+ years --> she's put up with his poo poo for 10+ years without dumping him --> Q.E.D., his rear end in a top hat must be kept so clean you could eat dinner off of it

Seriously, undermining his authority? He did that to himself when he stormed out and refused to answer her calls

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Neito posted:

Projecting

Yep, it's projection 101. He's thought about cheating -- or maybe even has -- so she must have too.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling step-sis her "disfigurement" is karma for being a trash human?

had me in the title ngl

Real villain is the dad for being with the step-monster; if it weren't for him, SM & V wouldn't be in the picture

e: what's refresh mean?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hughlander posted:

Today on the lowest low stakes AITA

AITA for not eating the bread part of a calzone and only eating the meatballs and cheese?

Reddit of course decided this 15 year old kid being a kid is an rear end in a top hat.

Maybe not the rear end in a top hat but sure as hell the idiot; crust is the best part of the calzone (just had one last night, by chance)!

Still cracking up over the posts couple of pages ago about the gf ripping farts

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think if anything, a mob front should seek to be at worst mediocre, or at least able to slap together a reasonable product for anyone who walks in the door. Like, a dusty old store where you'd imagine the equally dusty proprietor considers actually selling anything to be offensive, that's not a mob front, that's a vanity business for someone with too much money and/or no regard for it and too much free time. For a restaurant you want one that people don't bother thinking about, it's an option, where those in the know won't raise an eyebrow dining at, nor will those who see it and think it looks okay at the time.

In Bridgeport, Chicago, which used to be a seat of power for the Irish mob as well as the Daley family ( but I repeat myself), that's practically all you had for restaurants. Little sandwich shops everywhere that looked at you crosswise if you walked in and ordered a sandwich, and then would assemble the most basic sandwich possible in the surliest manner imaginable.

Two miles away, on Taylor Street, the Italians had to at least pretend by offering good food at the restaurants that lined the strip. (I have no idea if Taylor Street restaurants are a front but I've heard gossip they are, but that may just be stereotyping.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not going on stepsons trip?

Emphasis mine, what the gently caress is wrong with this mother?

Jesus Christ, you have a good relationship between the ex-husband and the soon-to-be-stepdad, why the gently caress would you risk blowing it up over intruding on father/son bonding time? Mom is whack.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for putting restrictions on the characters for my dnd group
Get hosed along with your fundie friends. To my (straight) mind, this is a case of if you're not with us, you're against us. You've picked a side, rear end in a top hat.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not paying more rent so my bf can have more spending money?
So he is upset because most of his money is going in paying his car and student loans but I can buy stuff now. But before I lived like a monk and he bought stuff.
A couple sure to last...why are they living together if they can't even agree on money matters?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

carrionman posted:

Don't some eastern European countries wear their ring on the right hand?

Most Orthodox sects do, IIRC

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Bramble posted:

Should I worry that boyfriend (36) would rather finish a game than have sex with me (30f)?
Same with oral sex. So I never give him oral sex either because that would be unfair.
Boyfriend is obviously the goatse-sized-rear end in a top hat here but I too love to turn intimacy into a tit-for-tat affair instead of dealing with the underlying issues. Anyway, I say ESH, not because she won't give him a hummer, but because she won't dump him already.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Barudak posted:

Really was intrigued to learn about a gymy wedding. Does the groom benchpress the bride? To they exchange kettle weights? Does the officiant make them do it 5 times to really practice their form?

Priest yells at you if you don't wipe down the kneeler when you're done with it

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's kind of surprising they'd still have trouble with public ceremonies after like the 3rd marriage.

I misread this as edited above and thought, "I guess practice does make perfect."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Franz posted:

yes, humble brother is supposed to be psychic and just know that the boyfriend is cripplingly insecure about his height and that whole thing was not meant as a compliment to the brother, but to make the boyfriend feel better

Not to mention the Einstein of a boyfriend who's 5'8" but telling everyone he's 6'0". Unless he works at the Lollipop Guild, I imagine everyone he talks with about height is already laughing at him behind his back.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, that is a very good one

I literally lolled when I read it

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

Theory is they're 14 (or like 30) and OP is ace but hasn't figured that out yet.

Not necessarily ace, could just be 14 and overwhelmingly shy or insecure.

Third theory (second being having a crush on friend): wanted to do "guy stuff" with friends but was worried that :females: would get in the way of that

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for cancelling the family trip after I found out that my wife cancelled my son's ticket?

Love it when the trash takes itself out; hope it stays that way.

This doesn't apply here because the stepmother treated the boys well for a while, at least until they were married -- maybe it's because I'm a divorced dad who found a wife who's also a kick-rear end stepmom and wouldn't have brought her into my daughter's life and kept her there if I didn't think she'd be a net positive for my daughter, but I'm usually more pissed off at the birth parent than the stepparent in these stories. The latter may be selfish and shallow, but the former is making the active choice to accept that over their own children, which is more selfish and shallower by a significant degree.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for flipping out upon finding out that my Fiance changed our wedding date?
Time for the fiancé to :sever:

Do these people not realize they're marrying into an existing family structure?

How did the big brains at Reddit land on ESH for this?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for "overstepping" my role as godmother?

But I was ONly TRYing to HELP.

"She got incredibly offended at a simple question and blew up at me."

10:1 odds that the simple question was "Aren't you doing [infant care activity] wrong?"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Really thought that was gonna be quidditch.

Me too

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

El Spamo posted:

drat, I wish I had a snack bar as a kid.
My wife and I fostered kids for a while. We had designated snack boxes for them, each individually decorated and labeled, from which they could take stuff out and eat any time they wanted. This was key for some of the kids because of food insecurity they had suffered in their lives. And, based on the story, it definitely sounds like the poor kid had some neglect (and thus maybe food insecurity) in her past.

The key difference is that all food had to be eaten at the dining room table and not in the bedroom; I wouldn't want to deal with the mess and terrifying discoveries of food wrappers and half-eaten food under the bed, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm assuming we all jumped to OnlyFans or stripping, but there's a surprise turn here:

No clue why she would hide that though. Maybe the boyfriend is a Jehovah's Witness or 7th Day Adventist?

quote:

I do liver transplants anesthesia. These are no joke. Liver transplants have a high mortality rate - highest for all living organ donors. So this is more than cosemetics. Plus i believe in bodily autonomy.

NTA. Anyone who disagree - has no idea and no understanding of liver transplants

I met my wife online in the pre-app days, back when it was much more akin to newspaper personal ads than swiping. She only mentioned briefly in her ad that she worked in healthcare. Well, it turns out she's an MD, and it took a lucky guess for me to guess it quickly (my first wife had also been an MD and I could read between some lines).

The reasons why she was intentionally vague about her job were 1) she could more easily identify male chauvinists who would show their whole rear end and assume she was a nurse or tech or whatever without even talking to her about her job, 2) she would screen out some golddiggers, and 3) she would screen out some drugseekers