Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Soylent Pudding posted:

Reminds me of this classic saga.
My [22f] boyfriend’s [24m] new tattoo makes me feel like a pedophile

the only thing that still upsets me at the end of this is how she's still too nice about the sister trying to effectively yeet her outta the family via manipulating OP's boyfriend into aggressive body modification to repel her, and then poisoning the social well with reputation-destroying rumors. that's not...just a little thing to let go. and why would she hesitate to do it again? it doesn't matter that she's his only family left, if she's trash that's going to cause pain and strife, then no family is better than that.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Antivehicular posted:

Gonna call it here: this woman has been having a nightmare period for a week, with bowel complications because hormonal flux can gently caress up your dumper, and this dude is completely convinced it's about him. The WoW engagement ring is not the main issue here, somehow!

Perhaps, but I think it's more likely she is panicked about his proposal and doesn't want to reject and crush him so instead she's trying her hardest to instead repel and disgust him. It tracks that two people with social anxiety would find themselves in this bind.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Facebook Aunt posted:

Broken homes have negative affects on a child's wellbeing and outcomes. Being raised by a single parent is objectively worse than being raised in a happy home by two parents.

As someone whose parents stayed together far too long trying to do just this: the kids can tell and it's so much worse than just having two separate households. I don't know why 'staying together for the children' is considered noble, when it's just egotism, dragging everyone through your barely concealed pain and convincing yourself it's working. It does not work in the children's favor - it's just about the adults salving their own guilt.

Being raised by two people barely containing their contempt for each other as your primary model for human interaction, it really fucks up your ideas of what stable healthy human relationships look like and you pretty much always think people have a hidden prerogative. It made me a cynic, even as a child.

And now I'm estranged from my dad who is the parent who insisted on pulling our family through that painful torture because of this kool-aid, so there ya go.

Coming home from school to a household of people pretending to like each other is some heartbreaking poo poo, don't do that to a kid.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 25, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh poo poo I was just coming back bc I just hit the part of the thread where you threatened probes IM SORRY I should not respond before finishing up new posts hold onnnn I'll grab content

EDIT:
This woman needs to get out, getting real ominous vibes here:

Should I speak to his wife and get her story?

quote:

I'll keep this as short as possible, would appreciate some advice.

I've been with my(f34) boyfriend(m35) for just over a year. We just bought a house together a few months ago.

He has a 14 year old daughter who he doesn't see due to her mum stopping contact and turning his daughter against him.

He also has a son who is 6 who he doesn't see either. He is still married to his sons mother but they've been separated for 5 years and she hates him. She stopped contact for no reason and she only allows him to see his son for a few minutes at birthdays/Christmas.

I've never spoken to his exes but he's told me that they both want to ruin his life and hate him for no reason. I know both his ex's have been with their boyfrinds for years and seem happy.

I sometimes feel like he isn't telling me the whole truth and whenever I try to ask more questions, he gets quite defensive.

We once bumped into his ex and son in a shop last year. my boyfriend completely ignored her while only talking to his son. She said hi to me and I said hi back but I felt very awkward and afterwards he would barely talk about it and said he didn't want to introduce us because she is crazy and would try to ruin our relationship.

What should I do? I want to marry this man one day and I love him. Should I reach out to his wife and get her side of the story? Or just leave it?

Thanks

EDIT: just want to add, he has a lot of amazing qualities and I really love him. He's had a hard life and has admitted to making mistakes in his past but I really want our relationship to work. I believe him but I have that niggling feeling in the back of my mind that is more of a what if?

Tl,dr: my boyfriend says his two kids mums are crazy, is still married to one of them. He gets defensive when I ask questions. Should I speak to his wife?

\/\/\/ thank you :ohdear:

edited to fix gender bc I called the op a man, whoops

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 25, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

spouse posted:

My favorite part of that thread is their little collections of "owns", where they wrote a convincing story and got people to respond genuinely to the story as if they were acting in good faith.

Like, great job dude, you totally burned those stupid redditors :thumbsup:

This is why the people who write fake reddit posts are, ultimately, the loving weirdest. Their whole thing is just enjoying stirring people up, the thrill of the rise. Like drat, just go channel that energy it into kinky sex like everyone else does.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah that's the one i grabbed for content too, it's not looking good! i am afeared for them

edit: oh god this snype is terrible here:

I [21F] am hell bent on moving out and my BF [22M] doesn't want to until he can buy a house

quote:

I [21F] would like to move out as soon as I possibly can. I make more than enough to live on my own but I love my BF [22M] dearly and would like him to move out with me. We've been together for almost 4 years have had lots of struggles with his parents especially his father integrating himself in his life. I would like us to just become I dependent and start living our lives on our own. I want go get out and have my own area and run my own house hold. I didn't move out of my parents house to live on my own only to live with another families rules... I would just like us to do things independently in our own and learn to run things our way but my boyfriend absolutely refuses to listen or even give any input. Hit excuse is that the dogs would be depressed if we leave. I just need advice on how I should handle this. I'm thinking of just moving out on my own and then telling him first and then telling his parents that I will be moving out on my own.

TLDR: Boyfriend doesn't want to rent an apartment and move out with me because the dogs will be depressed. Any advice?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 25, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Most NYC apartments don't have dishwashers, hand-washing is pretty much how everyone there does it unless they live in a Fancy Place. I didn't get to experience the joys of having a dishwasher until I moved away in my mid-30s.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I can’t understand who this person actually works for because “manager” and “boss” are the same thing as far as i know.

I usually take 'boss' in this context to mean big boss who is everyone's manager/owns the company, and 'manager' to mean your direct 'boss' whom you directly report to daily. So it's worker < manager < boss.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
while that does occur, the OP's case sounds more like the sad by typical occurrence of: one kid was a bit more independent/responsible and one needed more 'help', so the parents would prioritize support on the latter child, which makes sense in a vacuum but what that actually ends up doing is leaving the 'responsible' kid high-and-dry in crises since 'they can take care of themselves' while the gently caress-up got constantly bailed out and seeds resentment with the non-favored child that they're just expected to be able to take care of themselves while for their sibling it's simply understood that they 'can't' and they get saved

that's basically what the whole Golden Child dynamic is. One kid gets treated as somehow more delicate and favored over the other 'tougher' child, who is expected to simply buck up and make due since it's seen as in their nature to do so.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 28, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Wait some people just own 'tea cups'' like it's 1900? I drink both coffee and tea and use mugs for both. Mugs are my warm fluid dispenser, also good for hot chocolate the one time a year it's made. The idea of some special cup just for tea is so weird to me.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Microwave coworker sounds like they have a particular type of cutting-corners inertia, where they see the microwave going and think 'I'll just put it in for 30 seconds and get it out' because hitting the door button twice is quicker and easier than setting one going themselves. Even if microwaves are already relatively easy to use, some people live their lives looking for the fewest amount of actions in any given task and only deviating if someone pushes back (which at that point makes the easier route just doing it themselves).

Pretty much the surest way to get a mooch off is to become a greater nuisance to them than whatever they were trying to get from you. As soon as they have to invest more time into interacting with you than just doing it, they'll bail.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 30, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I guess, people can be poundwise and pennyfoolish about the strangest things. Being concerned with the level of energy expended in 30 seconds of microwaving seems like a good way to live an anxious life.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
microwaves essentially just agitate water molecules so it's fine to use them to heat water

but if you're doing anything that requires more than the mug to sit there full of hot water (for example, if you want to make pour-over brew), you're hosed with that method. microwaving single mugs of things is pretty limiting and being able to boil large amounts of water quickly in a kettle is really very convenient.

It also helps when you need to make more than one thing at a time - such as making meals of oatmeal or grits for a group, instead of individually microwaving them one at a time while everyone waits and eats them one-by-one. you just pour the boiled water over the waiting bowls, stir, and serve. Or if lots of people are planning on sharing some tea, you use the kettle rather than everyone microwaving an individual mug and sitting around waiting for each mug to be ready.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 30, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah i do pour-over for my coffee since I like how meditative it is yet for my grits I need it right now, don't ask me about that contradiction, I can't answer it. You can make my morning meals if you wanna do it differently.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah my first thought from OBGYN receptionist was she does this to make it harder for people to quietly terminate. You don't take that decision away from people, or try to waylay them and cause trouble by sharing that info.

She knows what she's doing, get her fired out of a canon into the sun.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Johnny Truant posted:

i thought this was appropriate for coffee chat

(free) coffee maker in my old lab broke, and within 60 minutes of someone alerting our administrative assistant, that was in place :coffeepal:

honestly this is a good response time, I've been in offices where people just sort of shrug at you like you're insane for suggesting the coffee maker being broken is a problem

joke's on them, I responded by loving off to coffee shops for extended periods of time, lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The cat swapping one grosses me out, ngl

He did it so quickly, what the gently caress else of importance to her would he be willing to take into his own hands and 'fix' for his own convenience?? Cat was a member of her family, even if he was a little poo poo. loving terrifying.

\/\/\/ Maybe? That's some weird justification. We don't really know what happened to it, we could make up stories about how once freed from his clearly neglectful mother (who didn't even notice he was replaced), he became Puss in Boots and everyone loved him and then he danced on a rainbow, if we'd like. It's not about whether the cat was 'better off' or not, it's about OP unilaterally deciding to swap out a member of her family once he got it in his head to do so. He should feel like poo poo, at minimum. That's creepy AF.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 3, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah I'm empathetic about miscarriage and the trauma it brings, but it goes too far once you're interrupting your loved one's ability to go enjoy life. That's when you need professional help to work through your anxiety, not be sated by cancelling the daughter's plans.

It's really not ok to take experiences away from your kids because you're terrified you might lose them if they leave the house. Down that way, madness and codependence lies.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm on laptop kid's side, but I do think it's funny the he thinks just being stubborn and resending the venmo request will get him anywhere. He's escalated byyyyy....posting it on Facebook and asking people what to do. Go to small claims court, kid. No one is going to give you the money just because they should and it's the right thing to do, unfortunately. You either have to invest more time and effort to get it back, or let it go. That said, sounds like he has really solid proof, so he should be fine if he takes that step.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 4, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
boylan's lemon-lime from the fountain at joella's hot chicken

that's some 'what would you do for a Klondike bar?' 'i'd kill a man'-type poo poo, just hook it into my veins

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Babies love Limca, right?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the combination of young 'comfort me' anxiety radiating from her with the totally obtuse mis-step of 'mediocrates' from him is *chef's kiss*'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Cuba seems to have it pretty well figured out, there's no homelessness there and you can only own two properties total, so no massive landlords or developers sweeping in and owning whole neighborhoods

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Haha right? Why yes, it DOES require an overhaul of the whole system, glad we are on the same page now!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I hope she never lets him have that gaming room

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Soylent Pudding posted:

UPDATE: AITA for yelling at my mom when she acted like nothing happened after my dad cheated?

My mom said "We weren't planning on telling you everything until you moved out but your idiot for a father always messes poo poo up"

just spitefully insulting your father in front of you, yes we are in a totally healthy open relationship

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah that strikes me as the usual obtuse 'but EVERYONE likes chocolate! Here, just TRY it!' poo poo people do, and then it baking folks are a mixed bag - when you spend your free time making poo poo for others, sometimes their reactions can become a bigger deal than they are. So bakers can either be reasonable, OR completely bitter at having their work rejected (when no one asked them to even do it in the first drat place).

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah reading between the lines, 'I guarantee if they try a bite of MY chocolate cake, they'll like chocolate!' is the vibe I'm getting from cake girl

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

thotsky posted:

Is demanding an apology for an awkward moment or joke a uniquely American thing? Setting aside the issue of whether making someone feel awkward with an unmalicious joke deserves an apology, it just seems to me that making the apology would be at least as awkward for everyone involved as the original incident? If it was awkward why are they not invested in trying to forget about it?

the idea of an apology is that it openly acknowledges that wrong has been done and that you'll try to do better in the future and not do that. if someone has stepped forward and expressed that you've wronged them, just pretending it didn't happen and encouraging them to 'forget' about it is what poo poo repressed people who don't like emotions do. so: cowards. it's what cowards do.

whether something 'deserves' an apology is not for you to determine, especially if you're the one who took the mis-step.

in this case: he messed up by rising to the brother's bait in front of the family, and her parents weren't impressed. they are asking him to acknowledge that was not cool to do in front of everyone and not to do it again. Saying 'yeah well I gently caress HER lol' to clap back is yeah, pretty gross to do at a family gathering. The bro is a little poo poo for sure, but OP is not gonna get anywhere if he continues to try and take the annoying little brother down a peg in front of everyone, it's just going to make family events uncomfortable, and in that case the person they'll cut off the invite list is OP. So they're basically laying that out now, so that hopefully things can be chill moving forward - and if OP says something like that again they've already made it clear that wasn't appreciated and he likely won't be welcomed back into their home again.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 28, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Midnight Voyager posted:

We have a more local company called "Wickles" that make pickles and pickled okra, but spicy. I'd start a fight over those things.

Re: pickled okra, I have tried many and Rick's Picks Smokra or bust, I will also throw hands over this

Also if you are around the NYC area in October there's an annual Pickle Day and that poo poo is amazing. All the local pickle folks come in and you can try their wares, as well as various pickle-based carnival foods. I had a peanut butter and pickle sandwich at that event one year and holy poo poo that is loving delicious, my eyes were opened.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 28, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Beachcomber posted:

It could be shock.

that was my first thought. Realizing your kid's been kidnapped is one of those top ten 'hell no' life traumas, I imagine.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Isn't he making a whole bunch of meat at once and feeding a whole crew, thus justifying using the sous vide while he multi-tasks to prepare a large meal?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean, it's pretty rude to keep lacing someone's food with an ingredient because you want to prove they'll eventually 'like it'. Who the gently caress cares about if someone else likes yellow mustard or not enough to keep trying to 'whoopsie' them into surprise-liking it? What the gently caress is wrong with those parents.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh that's just Uncle Wilbur, we think he killed a few folks, but he makes us chuckle now so, water under the bridge, right?

Hey, does everyone else regularly see pale women reflected in your car's backseat in your rear-view mirror, their cold lips mouthing 'you could help you loving coward' then shrieking into dark mist? No? Just me? Gotcha just making sure.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
keeping a relationship healthy is work, as it's a living thing, like a plant, and just like a plant it will have immediate, sudden needs you can't ignore or it will die

but yeah, that doesn't you should have to 'fight' or push against yourself/your partner in misery to keep it together. it's already hard enough, without enjoying it, what the gently caress is the point?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
too true. it's so sad how much boomer humor is about hating your partner. because, obviously, you don't stay married to someone because you like them.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Once again amazed that people who can barely stand a direct ray of sunshine colonized so much of the world. 80 degrees is a normal fuckin' day where I am and it's not that far south, trying to imagine UK folks at the equator and just loling

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah. Like it would be great if everyone was super woke and see positive but unfortunately we're humans and he's having a very normal reaction to what is a lovely situation. The experiences are one thing, but "maybe I should have married him" is at best a crappy, mean joke (assuming that's not their standard style of humor)

This isn't being sex positive, from my view it's just the opposite - sex positivity pushes mutual consent, and here it seems like she's getting a thrill out of humiliating her partner while he wants no part of this. Because she's not just remembering, she's editorializing in a way to get a reaction ('maybe I should have married him', etc).

Even discounting that potential aspect, sex positivity endorses healthy boundaries, which means respecting if this is something that would bother someone, regardless of how innocent it may or may not be.

Nah, this is just your standard sex jerk.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah I'm firmly in camp 'landlord shouldn't be renting out the units when he can't fix that poo poo in a day or two' territory. the emergency situation just proves even more why landlords suck, bc frankly they're definitely never prepared for poo poo like that and likely he's not doing great by most of his tenants right now

landlords seem to plan for the best and ignore the possibility of the worst, and they get what's coming to them for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The last charity ship has it right - anything that keeps money flowing to them is good. That woman who is reselling is putting in work both going out to select and curate her goods, then taking time to photograph and individually list them for sale on clunky-rear end websites, and likely isn't even making minimum wage back for that effort when you look at how much time all that takes. Plus then other people have access to cool stuff at a discounted price and don't have to search through bins of crap themselves to find it. It's a real common thing folks do on the net and honestly if you're a charity shop you want those Etsy and eBay seller folks to come in bc they're your regular income.