Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If any relationship suggests two people should live in different houses, this is the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

AITA for yelling at my husband for leaving our daughters at the park while they were waiting for their grandma?

Sure I abandoned our kids in the middle of a major city but have you considered that you hurt my feelings when you yelled at me?

To be fair, considering his own father had to get a restraining order against him for some unspecified reason, maybe they were safer in the park without him. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

I had a teacher like this and they did not understand why a) everyone hated them or why b) the kids with bad homelives just turned in blank tests

All punishing for guesses teaches kids is how to turn in blanks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

limp_cheese posted:

Naw, you need to go with something every gamer knows even if they've never touched a computer. It even fits into the Boomer mindset of marriage so its fun for all ages!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3YzmjmAGoI

Hell March, Hell March for Marriage!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Pretty much exactly what it sounds like:

The buryingest of the leadest that ever did bury the lead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Not everyone is ready or willing to be in a relationship with a sex worker. It's pretty clear he isn't. :sever:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You say it's only an Insta perv
Commenting on your undersized tee
But it wouldn't have got this far
If you'd said you're with me

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've never killed anybody but I've never thought to ask any of my exes if they did before sleeping with them. :ohdear:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

Thats like, the first thing you wanna ask. Nothing kills the mood like a ghost screaming that they're a murderer while you're about to finish

Speak for yourself.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for wanting to tell my stepdaughter's dad about the cameras my wife planted in his house while he was away?

She doesn't sound like someone worth becoming an accessory after the fact for, to be honest. "Remarriage for me, but not for thee"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A probe with a cat pic on it? The best.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

AITA for banning meat?

Well that just seems really petty... Wait an update?
Update:

How do you not resolve these cultural differences or at least go into them at length before you get married? This whole thing is written as if it's some amazing new discovery post-marriage that his daughter wanted to keep kosher.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

They tried to... Unless you mean the culture of the ex being an abusive rear end in a top hat and trying to rope his son into being an abusive rear end in a top hat as well...

They didn't, though? This whole thing is coming to a head after they've already married.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the holy poopacy posted:

Neither of the two people who married each other have any issue with the cultural differences involved, two of their three total children have no issue with the cultural differences, and while the third kid is griping about it he only acted out about it because his dad (not part of the marriage) was bribing him to act out.

There's nothing in the story to suggest that they tried seeing how a household involving a someone keeping kosher and others who aren't was going to work before getting married. It's written as if they first got married, then started living together, then they started trying to keep dishes separate and she was exasperated by how her kids were treating it.

"When my husband and stepdaughter first moved in, we banned pork and shrimp (and other forbidden foods) from the home. My ex raised a huge stink about this." Why did this only come up after they got married?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arzachel posted:

Or they moved in first, married later and she didn't think that had to be specified when referring to her then partner, now husband

Fine, how did the "we're going to be banning pork and shrimp" conversation not come way before the moving in part, then?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cool Dad posted:

I think you're misreading this. the EX raised a stink, not anybody in the current home. The Ex is just a tremendous rear end in a top hat about everything.

Again, if this had come up earlier, before they got married, or before they moved in together, or whatever, he would have raised a stink and gotten the kid to raise a stink earlier, and maybe this guy and his daughter could have maybe assessed if they want to get into this sickbed. But instead they up and got married/moved in together only to then impose these restrictions. It just suggests to me that OP and her new husband have very bad judgment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

I prolly wouldn't care what my abusive ex thought about moving in with my new partner or their food rules before I moved in with my new partner either

I would discuss in advance with my children that my soon to be husband/live-in boyfriend's daughter has dietary restrictions that would affect how the house is managed, and would then talk to this soo to be husband/live-in boyfriend about the results. She doesn't seem to have done so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

separate plates and utensils just isn't a big enough deal. I don't think it's reasonable to think either party would reconsider over that, or over the ex's reaction to it

basically it's nothing. she gave her ex six inches of rope and he managed to hang himself with it. you couldn't write a better outcome

Do you just not have any experience with keeping kosher? I've dated someone who kept kosher as did her family, and it is a big deal, and we did make sure to discuss it, both before I visited her, so I wouldn't mess up their kitchen or utensils, and before she visited my family, so she could comfortable eat with us (we would just use disposable plates). And that was with both our families being Jewish. It's a thing of note between Jews, it gets mentioned in apartment listing when someone who keeps kosher is looking for flatmates, etc. I'm flabbergasted that a mixed heritage couple wouldn't lock this down extremely tightly before moving in together.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

therobit posted:

If my mom told me that since her new husband’s daughter was a religious nut I had to change my diet, and I was already a pissed off 17 year old who probably still had issues from my parents’ divorce, I would probably do everything in my power to gently caress with them also.

Keeping kosher isn't being "a religious nut".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

I didn't think it was a big deal, but now we have an expert saying it is a big deal, but not enough of a big deal to call it nuts, but also a big enough deal to consider it a potential deal breaker from moving in together. So who the gently caress knows

It's a big deal to some Jews, particularly religious ones, who are not nuts for having restrictive traditions. I'm sorry you're an ignorant gentile. You could easily fix it, though!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Lone Badger posted:

Last time I was involved with a kosher audit, equipment that had contacted a treyf substance could be sanitised with boiling water* and was ok to use for kosher production. Is this only in some traditions?

* chemical sanitisers didn't count, had to be boiling water.

Not if it's ceramic, apparently, because it's porous, according to one of her comments.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why isn't this more common? Stainless dishware seems to be typical in India, and it makes perfect sense for durability, easy cleaning, and just generally the properties you want from your dishes. Are ceramic plates and bowls the default just because they are traditional, or am I missing something?

The US is extremely backwards. Why, most of our pipes are still lead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Agreed because anyone I've ever known who is serious about being kosher has a kosher kitchen which involves, among many other things, seperate prep areas with their own sinks, dishwashers, stoves, etc.

Maybe the story we're talking about is some modified version, but someone has certainly picked and chosen their own rules about this and I'm not sure it's possible to tell if that's someone in the story or some other person/group.

I mean, if she's going by her mother but also picking her way through it, she might be making a very idiosyncratic choice of accommodations with an atheist father and living with non-Jewish family. The "ideal" situation for people who observe is for the whole family to be more or less all into it and agree on a Rabbi who will answer any questions they might have, which is not the case here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shithouse Dave posted:

Righto, off you go buddy. Good luck finding a younger woman to support your gambling fail rear end.

AITA is full of impressionable younger women in just this type of relationship sure that they're the ones loving up, as I think we've seen recently. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

8one6 posted:

This person is a friend?

A replacement friend!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my friends that their pretend date sounds like lot like a real one?

Update: AITA for telling my friends that their pretend date sounds like a lot like a real one?

Is there dust in the air? No, I'm tearing up because this is so wholesome. :kimchi:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's similar to the difference between "I play video games" and "I'm a gamer"

"I'm not having kids" is just fine. Avoid "I'm child-free"

Cream's "I'm Child-Free" never made it to the top of the charts, and for good reason!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

It's one of the most fun bits of Jewish rules lawyering.

Problem: There are restrictions on what you may move into or out of your home on the Sabbath

Solution: Redefine "home" to cover the entire neighborhood, go hog wild

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

There was an unfortunate conflict over this in some predominantly non-ultra-orthodox Jewish New York suburb a while back. I think it was covered by The Daily Show back then.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Please don't deceive the people you love. :ohdear:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RoboRodent posted:

You know, stories like this make me think of how the grocery store we went to when I was little had a place to drop your kids off while you shopped. Because shopping is sometimes just a lot for a kid, moreso for the neurodivergent kids, and if you have to take your kids to the store with you but they hate shopping, you could leave them there with an adult supervisor for a half hour or so, so long as they were old enough to be potty trained. They had a tv and stuff to colour. I loved that place. Mom would give me a choice about it and I'd do either, depending on how I felt that day. This would've been late eighties.

I'm sure the reason this isn't more common is "paying for licensed childcare in a grocery store would involve paying more than the poverty wages they prefer" but it really was a great thing.

Anyway mom is great, kids are great, this old lady sucks.

Also letting some stranger you don't know oversee your children!?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

Given with near certainty what his response will be I don't want to tell him but she is very probably having an affair.

Allegedly it's this:

quote:

The only thing that could be affecting this is her brother is struggling financially and is in debt.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for going to my parents house while my roommate painted her room?
keep reading

I should have stopped there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm appalled by the roommates and her guests behavior of

-Talking and laughing amongst themselves
-Moving things around while painting
-Offering her some Wendy's

Unbeleivable.

Don't forget that her roommate painted her personal room the wrong color and is having a boyfriend come in.

It's clear that OP needs to work through expressing her needs way before getting into such a financial commitment; at this point she might as well sell her half of the house to the boyfriend and find somewhere else to make her dream purple home. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Cops. Because they're all bastards.

That detective should get a clue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ouhei posted:

It's a fairly common (but dumb) thing that happens at weddings (at least in the US). Common enough that our wedding asked us if we were going to do it so they could make sure to have some towels handy.

How is this the first I'm hearing this? US weddings are wild, everybody suited up and then some loving vaudeville bullshit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, those are always disgusting. Just pure capsicum. Food should be enjoyed, not an ordeal to be suffered through.

AITA for making fun of my MIL for spending an hour doing her makeup to visit someone in jail and telling her her life is hilarious?

what even is this situation?

Good question!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

teen witch posted:

I swear we know the same guy.

I feel bad because I outright hate most anise-salmiakki* type flavors and that’s present way more where I live, but it’s something that even a hint of it makes me retchy, so I get it. And spice must be harder to avoid, especially if you haven’t been exposed to it at a younger age. But it’s one thing to not like something (or not tolerate it well), it’s another to sabotage another’s enjoyment of it. Like I’m not going to TNT a candy section at ICA because I don’t like black licorice in a salmiakki hate crime.

*there is a beer here that’s half salt liquorice/half raspberry flavored and gently caress me it’s drat good (Dugges Fifty Fifty, anything from them is worth a shot). I think THAT might be the only thing I like.

Ah, sick! I remember when Salmiakki Hate Crime opened for Moonsorrow.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

It's definitely gotten insane, much like every tradition around weddings and childbirth. The original idea as I understand it was feeding each other cake and "oh lol that got messy let's kiss now"

That got a laugh from a desperate, trapped wedding audience so the next couple had to up the ante. Now I'm guessing there's probably cake cannons and poo poo.

The thing I'd be scared of is like, you can't just slam someone's face into a cake without preparing for that. You don't know what's supporting that cake. People have ended up with dowels and poo poo speared through their eye because they think a giant decorated cake is just cake throughout.

I'm trying to imagine how Jewish weddings would go if we had this mentality. Wine glass? Pfft... ten wine glasses! The groom breaking them with his foot? How about some DYNAMITE instead?!!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
His behavior contributed to her becoming this way in the first place. What reason is there to think that, even if he happens to do this, he won't mess up her one existing kid more than he already has, and the potential new one also?