Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
She misses the meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zurtilik posted:

I've posted a few in quick succession so I'll chill a bit now.

My girlfriend's dad is upset and uncomfortable that we are going to take an international backpack trip and I was hoping to get a bit of advice on what to tell him to ease him a bit

If this is a "solid plan" I'd love to see what this guy would define as wingin it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
When video games don't give you a choice, you're almost always going to play as a man, human, white, and aged 17 to 35. When a game gives me options I'll opt for something other than what I'm used to.

It took me a long-rear end time to realize that this is not what anyone would consider a natural response, and I still hold that the people who ignore the options and always go for the most generic protagonist are the weirdos.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nice try but everyone knows gas station sushi is not a real thing and is just a harmful stereotype about the states.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Canuckistan posted:

I live in Atlantic Canada and we have gas station lobster. It's a common thing during lobster season to see someone parked at a gas station and selling live lobster from the back of their truck. Best lobster too since it's usually fresh off the boat that morning and cheaper by a few bucks a pound compared to the local markets.

That’s not gas station lobster. You’re describing truck lobster, which is a real and legitimate business, unlike gas station lobster/sushi which is a mean-spirited urban legend.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You're real unlikely to superheat water in the microwave by accident, but I still think it's worth knowing that it's a thing that can happen, because if it does happen and you don't notice, you will burn off your face when you take it out or put anything in it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
His "method" doesn't actually change the math involved any way; if they start and end with a full tank, any method of splitting the costs 50/50 will, uh, split the costs 50/50. He clearly does not realize this.

He is both selfish and an idiot.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I hate when someone poisons me and all my friends side with the poisoner and tell me to chill out.

If only there was a term for a kind of person who enjoys your company and also doesn't want you to be poisoned.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you can get all kinds of fancy with dish cleaning, but the real trick is to circumcize your dishes and they'll be far easier to clean

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Combo posted:

Yeah, obviously OP doesn't get to claim a person, but what the roommate did was still a douche move.

How so? Even by the OP's admission, they immediately hit it off due to a mutual attraction. There's no indication any part of it had anything to do with the roommate knowing about the OP's crush.

I don't really see any way to read the story that jives with both the notion that you can't claim a person and that the roommate did anything wrong. What is the non-douche move when the dibsee expresses obvious interest in someone other than the dibser, and the interest is reciprocated?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mx. posted:

AITA? For refusing to pay for my boyfriend's medical bills after he had an accident in my car?

oh he's a keeper

ESH

Boyfriend is obviously the bigger rear end in a top hat but don’t date road ragers and especially don’t lend them your (uninsured!) car.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah but they lent it to him on previous occasions per the earlier text, which is still hosed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Slimy Hog posted:

So somehow it's HER fault he's an rear end in a top hat? Or is it her fault that he sucks at driving? Or is it her fault he sole her car?

She knew the guy was a reckless dangerous rear end in a top hat and didn’t consider it a dealbreaker, which I guess whatever, I’m not the boyfriend police, but she actively enabled his behavior by lending him the car, which is an rear end in a top hat thing to do and also self-sabotaging when the car is uninsured.

She’s lucky that he happened to crash the car the time he stole it rather than one of the multiple times she’d lent it to him, and that he didn’t injure anyone but his own dumb rear end, because at least now she’s entitled to report it as stolen and not liable for anyone he might have killed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Am white, can confirm that I was genetically engineered for vitriol and surreptition.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I choose to believe problem cat found a good home and is the happiest of all parties in the story. Someone could be scratching him behind the ears as he's snoozing under a sunbeam right this very second.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I do like the "I was drunk!" excuse, which proves to me I cannot ever start drinking, because alcohol just removes all the inhibitors you have normally. I'm afraid I would try to chat someone up about some Flannery O'Connor short stories. "No, I'm not racist, that's the title!"

Just for the record, this is not how alcohol works. It's like 90% social; you're "allowed" to embarass yourself or be an rear end in a top hat because you can use the alcohol as an excuse. If you actually want to not sexually harass strangers so bad the entire company gets banned from the premises, you won't.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Invisible Clergy posted:

r/relationships: I understand that his bday is tied to a deeply traumatic event however I decided it’s time to replace those memories. It's a pity this is so long and difficult to abbreviate because drat is it perfect as an encapsulation of what this thread is about.

Does "r/relationships: I understand that his bday is tied to a deeply traumatic event however I" fit? You know what's coming after a however like that.

Or if it needs to be trimmed further, maybe r/relationships: I understand that is tied to a deeply traumatic event, however I

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had a wire retainer that fell out when I was a kid, and never got it replaced or properly removed, so I've still got a bit of permanent glue on the back of my canines. I don't think anyone knows this about me, despite it not being anything secret or personal, because it has never come up in conversation and I don't know why anyone would need to be told.

Except you guys. You are the only ones to know this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Beachcomber posted:

Please provide actual Stupid Cat behaviors, thank you.

A girl I dated had a cat who just absolutely could not conceive of his head taking up space. He'd run full tilt at a wall, and stop just a little too slowly to avoid hitting his head into the wall. Whenever he walked under anything, like a chair, he'd know to lower his head, but would raise it just one step too early and bonk his head into the crossbeam or whatever else was above it.

There was nothing actually wrong with him, other than being a certified Stupid Cat, and he was a very happy and cuddly cat, with a particular disposition towards bunting. His only concerning behavior was that he was absolutely terrified of fences (the going theory being that he had once gotten himself trapped between a fence and a sprinkler, with no avenue for escape that he could see), which meant he could be let into the garden unsupervised despite being a lifelong indoor cat, as he would never even approach its boundaries.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Propaniac posted:

My [38M] wife [35F] and I have been going through a divorce. She's trying to guilt me into agreeing to withdrawal.

This dude is so blameless I'd say this was definitely MRA bait if not for the lack of vitriol.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, "you don't get a say because it's my money" is bad enough, but it feels weird to emphasize that when "you're just gonna have to deal with the construction workers tearing down the walls and foundation of the house you live in; you don't get a say because it's my house" is right next to it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
who the gently caress introduces themselves on a saturday evening

obviously the assholes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’d say it’s a terminal case of but family, only she clearly does not give a poo poo about her brother’s well-being.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, they’re not even complaining about the quality of the food. She could rather easily address the issue by packing larger lunches.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kurieg posted:

Your partner probably can't and probably shouldn't be meeting all your social needs. I can't expect what kind of answer she was expecting.

“You’re meeting all my needs as a partner.”

Who knows if that was the answer she was looking for, but that’s the goalpost.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hawowanlawow posted:

loving around while playing board games or card games does pretty much ruin the game. I'm ambivalent about the pub trivia, and don't give a poo poo about the charity race

some people definitely do that because they didn't want to play the game, so they undermine it to manipulate the situation. it's frustrating because even if it's obvious that's what they're doing, you can't really call them out on it without looking like a prick.

I don't think op's girlfriend is doing this, but in my experience, they're just getting rid of distractions from what they really want to do: get shitfaced drunk

The board/video game thing depends entirely on who you’re playing with. I play to compete, which means I’ll gently caress around if I’m way ahead or way behind, and the crowds I play with are cool with this. Dicking around from the word go if no one else is on board with that is an rear end move, and the solution there is indeed to discuss expectations and not sharing that hobby if it’s not gonna be fun for all parties.

The bar trivia is the inverse, here the established group dynamic is to dick around rather than go for the prize, and insisting that no one else have fun is exactly as much of an rear end in a top hat move as the opposite.

The charity bike thing is a “no one should care” scenario, which makes the OP the rear end in a top hat by default.

OP is definitely the rear end in a top hat, girlfriend may have made a good faith attempt at sharing his hobbies and found they don’t work for her; I don’t think we can say for sure.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
a tesla SUV

I want to say this is a comedy post because there is no way that exists, but I know that would just inspire someone to post pictures of the tesla SUV and I don't want that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Barudak posted:

Its something boring, common to be seen semi publicly, and obvious this dude is horny for it so since the feet square on the bingo is taken its knee high socks

no he said it's a weird fetish

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I (25F) want to break up with my terminally ill boyfriend (29M)

I feel the shape of a brilliant pun in here, something about being committed to your partner until they're cold in the ground and the dude being ice cold, or maybe something about the relationship being one loose end he tied up? Someone please figure it out because it's killing me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ok good, thanks, I managed to miss that post

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Obviously she should get some real fancy bowls that satisfy whatever standards are set by the sister-in-law.

And use those bowls exclusively for the kitten.

And also post pictures of the kitten.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Is that a racial slur? I thought it was more of an lifestyle slur like calling someone a fuckboy or something. I didn't know it had racial or country of origin connotations although living in the deep south that kind of subculture is pretty rare.

I think that one was specifically a slur for Italian Americans and only later grew to be associated with the Jersey Shore kind of lifestyle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

i specifically requested the opposite of this :mad:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

but at least you get to watch it break

I was far too angry online to actually click the link, what do you take me for? I did click it later and we cool though.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

He's getting his affairs in order.

Ahh yeah, that’s the one I was fumbling for. Thank you!

Dik Hz posted:

I dunno. Both seem like pieces of work. He clearly wants kids and was lying to her about it. He was also raw-dogging his ex.

Girl dodged a bullet.

Biiiiit of a stretch there but sure

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If I had an uncontrollable urge to chew on bits of metal I would simply carry a bit of metal on my person for when the urgin kicks in.

Perhaps I could even have it attached to my person as a decorative item for when I’m not chewing. Decorative bits of body metal, I’m sure there’s a business there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know it's the r/relationship, but I don't think the proper response to seeing a guy who's not a deadbeat piece of poo poo is to assume he was obviously lying about not wanting kids.

Dazerbeams posted:

That's wild but uh, how does an ultrasound miss a whole baby when your stomach is sticking out past your tits?

Ultrasounds are highly targeted; you're not just shooting a beam through a person that pings back anything that resembles a fetus. If you're not looking for the fabled double ute, you scan until you find the uterus, and if you found the empty one, you're just gonna get back a "nothing in here" signal.

Plus, assuming the twins math works in reverse, two uteri and one baby means she'd only have been pregnant for 4.5 months which is short enough to skip some flags.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you know how they are

Edit:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Who wants to play "guess the search term"?

Sorry I didn't even realize we were playing, that is just a term that sets off sirens whenever I see it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know why, but a 14-year old boy offering to cook an entire thanksgiving dinner and just wanting instructions hits me in the same spot as the feel good stories about disaster lesbians finally getting together and kids coming out to supportive parents.

good kid

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rescue Toaster posted:

This one might be above reddit's pay grade. Just too much nuance and way too many things to consider.

I don't really see it? Like I'm sure specifics would add to the story, but he went behind his wife's back, drained their joint account, to buy an expensive gift he would never get his wife, because he wants to compete with his siblings.

If there were any details that would mitigate OP's actions enough to not be the rear end in a top hat, they would be included in the post.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Invisible Clergy posted:

Castle doctrine the bad guy

Look we all agree that ACAB, but you really shouldn't be encouraging people to shoot police officers.