Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PetraCore posted:

I wouldn't be suuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl was a relative of one of the nerdmen, and OP didn't bring it up because he was trying to keep the impression they were grooming her. That said, I also wouldn't be suuuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl wasn't a relative and was just a high schooler who met the group through local anime conventions, in which case uuuh there need to be a lot better boundaries going on.

Did it say the 16-year-old was a girl? I assumed if it had been the OP would have been going harder on them grooming a kid rather than just being irresponsible around one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The correct answer would have been to say the toys are dad's.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hughlander posted:

I think an AI wrote this one...

AITA for telling my friend exactly why I don’t want her alone with my boyfriend?

quote:

I (19f) have friends who are a married couple, Jay(19f) and Emily(19f). They are a polyamory couple and they have an open relationship, so they can be with who they please. Now, Jay, likes to be with committed men. She’s been with many, saying she loves knowing she can get any man she wants and they’ll always choose her. She even went as far as to get one of them to leave his wife for her, then dumped him saying she never wanted anything serious!! Her wife tells her it’s disgusting to be with a married man especially since none of them have open relationships.

Seems like a rare case of a poly/open relationship working when it probably shouldn't. How can you know your wife makes a habit of deliberately breaking up couples, be against it, and just leave it at that?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

What is halfway reasonable about being upset at your teacher wife for reading a play with her students?

I love the spoiler on that one, it really recontextualises the worry from "I'm concerned you're being inappropriate with a student for no reason" to "I am legitimately worried about the mad admin that fires people for the mildest poo poo"

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 1, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

I would simply not use shampoo and let my natural oils develop the luster and sheen themselves.

Gross, dude. Take better care of your horse

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's only Terf if it's from the Times Column region of Britain, otherwise it's just a sparkling transphobe

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sisal Two-Step posted:

FORBIDDEN TIP: just mix up details from various different stories into one conglomerate and post about that.

Personally I don't think the OP or her roommate should be drinking the cowgirl harem's milk

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Imagine the meltdown when he starts teaching their kids Spanish

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

YTA. A 13 year old doesn't need a 6 million dollar piano

No one said six million dollars, just six thousand thousands

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

Funny how the OP never says what she expected the dad to do. Just "oh you shouldn't have told her".

What was OP planning to tell the kid???

She thought having a dying parent would be bad for the kid's mental health, so she should just not be told until her dad dies and she learns that her mother knew all along and was hiding it while she could have been making the most of their remaining time together.

Obviously much better for her mental health. And by "mental health" I of course mean "mother being more important in the kid's life than father".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kurieg posted:

It also seems like his whole family was trying to get her to be a live in maid for their shut in son.

I didn't get that impression myself - it's pretty normal for a family to be excited their child is getting engaged - but at the same time it would explain a lot about how they could have such different views on their relationship if the guy's family were pressuring him to propose.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OP says the family had their life planned for them for the next 50 years. That's not normal. That's not normal at all.

Ah, fair, I had missed that line.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

So many examples of "You can't judge someone by their words and actions! You don't know what's in their heart!"

You know what they say - you can't judge a book!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the guy needs to get off his arse and make his own meals just like she's doing. "Not being handy in the kitchen" isn't a thing. If you can read, you can cook.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

:nws: https://www.oglaf.com/performance-anxiety/ :nws:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Aw boooo. Maybe if OP can't stop hosting them (because they're family), they could at least preface every meal with "I am not paying for this person" up front instead of waiting til the bill shows up at the end.

Best move would have been to loudly give her the wallet on the way to the restaurant, pretending like she was doing her a favour after noticing she forgot it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

greazeball posted:

Honestly, it reminds me a lot of a friend's behaviour before his pill addiction got discovered. Lots of mysterious delays and disappearances with the absolute worst excuses and justifications. :smith:

This is my thought. loving someone else isn't the only thing you might want to hide from a partner.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

wizardofloneliness posted:

Does anyone remember the soup tube one? A guy came up with a delivery service for soup, which involved a series of tubes around the city.

I’ve just noticed that literally all of these insane business ideas involve food. Restaurant for magicians, special ketchup and sandwich recipes, soup tubes… don’t these people know that’s the absolute worst way to make money?

There was the dog heelies one, that wasn't food related.

I think generally though food is very common because everyone engages with food several times a day, and the majority of people prepare their own at least sometimes. Sooner or later you're going to end up applying some creativity to it. Everyone comes up with their own food ideas at some point, so there's a good chance that the kind of person who is both ambitious and dumb enough to see any idea of theirs as the start of their big break is looking at their food when they do it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eggs are culinarily dairy but not botanically

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

So they knew each other since she was was 15 and he was 20, something tells me they didn't wait for her to turn 18 before that three year relationship...

Hell, even if they did, which is the most generous interpretation of that timing, dating three years would mean she shared a bed with the ex she just broke up with while in a new relationship with her current BF.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

But you can do that in a sentence rather than gushing about how hot he is and how her friends want to gently caress him

Hey, at least this one is actually establishing why the OP was in a long-term relationship with a jerk.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kru posted:

just playing a casual round of 'Carrot Time 2050' with my chums, and then maybe some 'Dragon Cube: DELIVERANCE'

Deliverance was a weak expansion and you're better off just playing base Dragon Cube, honestly

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Am I reading correctly that stepdad is James' actual bio father, but encouraged his son thinking his father was dead so he could feel more of a connection to his siblings?

Or is it something like - stepdad had a previous relationship with James' mom, who had a child from a previous relationship herself, and who then left the picture, leaving James with his stepdad?

From my read I think it's that:

Mother has three children from a previous relationship, Father has one. They marry and the family combined, Mother's kids' dad died before that and we don't know what happened to James' mother. The mother's kids moved out when James was around 7, never made contact again. In the years since it turned out James never realised there were any dead/missing parents at all and they were just one family with four children.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On the one hand that's what you get for that kind of age gap but on the other hand you should probably be able to cook at least one proper meal by the time you're 21. Even if it's just pasta with a sauce from a jar or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Funny, Brandon Sanderson always says the best way you can help him as an author out is to give a copy of a book to someone so they'll discover him and buy stuff on their own.

You do need to have published at least two books for that to work though

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Another trash man who uses "babysit" when he should be saying "being a parent".

I'll give him a pass on this one - at least according to him, he was specifically asked not to be a parent.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

I'm not really clear why it's just decided that these two cousins deserve it more than the one who's already living there? Is it a golden children type thing? Everyone take a turn having a home?

It only makes sense to me if it's the OP's cousin from the other side of the family, so doesn't have any claim to the place based on the will but could stay there at cheap/no rent since no one else wanted anything to do with it.

Still a dick move to want to turf her out to move in there, no matter what your legal right to the place as. As ever, the problem is landlords.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm kinda surprised she was invited to the wedding in the first place, especially since she's just the bride's mother's colleague. I'm guessing they expected her culture's traditional formalwear to be much more drab. Wanting someone who would look interesting but not actually pretty. Fuckers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA if I told my MIL to stop moaning while she eats?

oh gently caress i'm gonna eat

If you're going to masticate do it quietly

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What does the Bible say about scat/diaper fetishes

It is not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him, but what comes out of his rear end that defiles him

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Lasagna chat reminded me of this joke that my 12 year old son told me.

Q: What do you get when you put a lasagna on top of another lasagna?
A: A lasagna

Makes you think.

drat, that joke's got layers

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I got a plug nickel says that what they're upset about is that she moved on too fast with the husband of a dying woman.

You could say the OP's dad moved on too fast too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Honestly it sounds like it was the obstructionist mother who screwed them over and either forbade them from accepting the call or manipulated them some other way.

It's possible, but at 14 and 16 they should be plenty capable of getting on a call whether their mother likes it or not. I think if they actually wanted to talk to him it would have come up during them being upset about the inheritance, and definitely would have been worth mentioning in the post if it had.

EightDeer posted:

I tried to help my girlfriend's estranged brother and it was a mistake. I don't know what to do now honestly

I don't care what the sign says, my family teaches that all places are places of honour and whatever is here deserves to be valued and commemorated. Now open this seal so I can prove how wrong you are to shun it

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What tradition is this where you turn out the lights and set things on fire?

That's christmas pudding, which is different and much better. Moist, rich and full of alcohol.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And if you don't feel any need to keep the house, it's a lot easier to move out unilaterally without having to go through a big discussion (argument) with your partner about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bonster posted:

Hey, could someone tell me what this post says, because I'm trying to read it and my eyes are just sliiiiiiding right off.

AITA FOR REFUSING TO GIVE MY SISTER CHILDREN GIFTS?

Something about too many presents or too few or something?

Clarifying comment?

Maybe?

So from my read, OP's sister's kids always raise a stink at other kids' birthdays because they want to have presents too. So this year OP sent out invitations that said to all parents to get gifts for their own children as well as one for the birthday boy, and they'd all get handed out so every kid there got a present.
OP's sister came but didn't do that, so her kids still didn't get presents.