Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Metaline posted:

Do people chant DICAP in the replies of these Reddit threads or is that bannable?

Yes, this dynasty of threads is where the expression originated. Feel free to say it here if it brings you joy.

BabyFur Denny posted:

DICAP is a lovely lie, at least if you have a minimum of standards regarding the quality of dicks. It's incredibly hard to find decent dick.

The expression isn't "good dick is cheap and plentiful."

BabyFur Denny posted:

Implicitly yes, DIPAC as an advise includes the promise that there's something better and easily attainable out there, while in most cases it will turn out to be a sidegrade from one lovely dick to another lovely dick, at best.
It's a meme/joke response, not serious practical advice. Like "fire your husband into the sun" isn't telling the OPs married to these non-rear end wipers to go get a degree in rocket science, leave a trail of funko pops for their manchild husbands leading him into a cannon and pulling the long rope to send him into space. Also we aren't actually talking to these women because the fact they've been married to their poop crumb sprinkling husbands for a zillion years is already proof they wouldn't listen, so even if the advice were serious, it's not leading any of these people astray.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(22/F) How to politely tell a man(27/M) that is noticeably attached in the talking stage that we won’t work out anymore?
This woman's fundie parents are abusing her (0 points awarded for guessing the guy is a member of a nonwhite race) This guy also sounds like he sucks and is waving a platoon of red flags. There's no safe way for a woman to tell a man she's not interested in him or any spell to cast to prevent him from stalking her but yikes as mentioning you don't brush your teeth to your date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

NFX posted:

Counterpoint:
If my wife refuses to shave her nether area and I would like her to, should I stop brushing my teeth?

r/relationships: stop brushing my teeth to own MY WIFE

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

teen witch posted:

Fake towing company stealing cars with tags from apartment lot, police say they can’t do anything

(chud voice) "b-b-b--but if we abolish the police, who will investigate crimes?"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is exactly the level of interest I've seen cops take in literally any crime where a cop wasn't personally involved, including in Virginia. I'm pretty sure like random pillheads doing burglaries or that one whackjob who thinks he can annex the neighbor's yard by putting his own fence around it aren't all paying the cops off.

Yeah, while I wouldn't rule out the police getting a slice of the action, it's not necessarily at play. Ask any person who has survived an encounter with police and this is how they act about all crimes "sounds like a civil matter" is the only thing cops know how to say aside from "he went for my gun"

Re: fakes, fakecalling, etc. the general guideline is "don't post stories that are obvious agenda pushing" like all the "[minority] was cartoonishly mean to me and then everyone on the down with cis bus beat me up" because they're boring and don't provide interesting stuff to talk about. Informally the "you can say 'story is fake' but you have to post content" is sometimes enforced and that does cut down on it a lot. I think that's been a successful policy but since the thread's mostly old guard, a vague guideline versus a hard numerical rule is probably fine.

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a good set of rules/tips for finding and posting content? I mean, I could just go and grab whatever is funny on the front page but I assume people have already done that or don't want to see front page crud? But I would like to bring some content back to the group on occasion.

Strategies I've been successful with are:

Going to r/aita, sorting by "controversial," ignoring anything where the main character is a teen (they're all either trivial bullshit or just straight up parental abuse) and skimming until I see something that looks interesting

Periodically glance at other advice column/agony aunt type places for salacious stories. These places have paid staff sifting out the obviously fake-seeming submissions so most of their content is either mundane or the character in the letter is experiencing some kind of normal problem. Occasionally you get good content though. Places aside from reddit we've had success with include savage love, hola papi, dear prudence, care and feeding, the emily post podcast, ask a manager, and captain awkward.

On the rare occasions an op on reddit doesn't use a throwaway, checking their history for other threads they've made, sometimes even off r/aita, is often a valuable source of entertaining content.

If you're on twitter and you have one or more reddit bots who post popular stories from reddit, those are fine too. Like many regular posters in this thread, I don't regularly read everything on the front page of any particular reddit sub because it's a garbage site full of garbage people, so don't feel obligated to avoid posting recent or popular stuff from there if you think it's funny.

As far as subs not to waste your time with, despite our legacy title, I very seldom find good content in r/relationships. Most of the posts there are boring, and the ones that aren't are just straight up abuse, which we thankfully don't post here anymore. I also avoid justnomil, estrangedparents, or raisedbynarcissists. Aside from their impenetrable nomenclature, naming all the characters single initials and enforced use of a zillion stupid acronyms, the stories themselves are really long and not that interesting.

This isn't to say content from any particular sub is forbidden, just strats I've observed save a little time if I'm skimming for a good story to post.

Keyword searches are also popular. You can search thread favorites, such as "funko pops," "wipe," "shower," or "recipe," or you might come up with your own. People find all kinds of interesting things using criteria such as "popcorn," "allergic," or "inheritance," but feel free to use your imagination.

In addition to forum/advice column posts, the occasional longform journalism piece about the kind of character who is a frequent fixture within the r/relationships threads if you can find one that's interesting is also a welcome addition once in a while, like the idiot who ran a successful restaurant and then decided to close up shop for weeks and go on vacation during peak season, or the world's most divorced man writing about how much he likes burning man.

I'm sure whatever you end up posting will be great.

EDIT: no animal abuse stories please; we don't like them

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 20, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Uncle ShortyB posted:

gently caress this dude. That poor fish.

Also how the gently caress do you not kick his rear end to the curb when he pepper sprays a roommate the first time? Maybe I'm just not as conflict-averse as this (potentially fictional) dude is but like, you torture and kill a living creature I have an emotional attachment to just to be rude to me, you don't have a place to live. There is no being on the fence about kicking this dude out, but there is being on the fence over whether or not you're gonna get your rear end kicked.

I hope this story is fake. This character is a loathsome doormat and will soon be killed by his roommate, so I guess the trash will take itself out.

Zurtilik posted:

I think a lot of businesses are hesitant to allow any on the job drinking for liability reasons these days. But I don't know, I'd probably feel weird too if some dude just cracked open a cold one in the midst of lunch. On the other hand, one Busch Light will probably get you less buzzed than a Pepsi.

It's an insurance thing, yeah. If this guy slips on a pile of widgets the insurance place can deny the workplace's claim if they find out he had one molecule of American pisswater in his bloodstream at the time. If that's all they said to him, I could kind of understand their point, but them pearl clutching over it is kind of a lol.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really, really hard to read stories about characters named A, B, C, and D. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's just really hard to scan.

That sounds like a lot more work than pouring your booze into an empty bottle.

You're not. It's the whole reason humans invented names in the first place.

Occasionally, when an otherwise interesting post from aita or something uses initials for character names as its only flaw, I will just make up names for the characters (and put a note in the post for posterity obvs) but with the subs I listed, there's so much just dross and bullshit, it makes it impossible to quickly tweak without rewriting the whole story, and life's too short.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

If your plan is to be able to deny that you knew you were drinking booze, from the can that you bought and brought to work...well, I've never worked for anyone that stupid, but vaya con Dios.

Alchenar posted:

If you are at the point where you are coming up with plans to hide your drinking from other people then uh,

Guys, cumshitter is joking, you can break up the intervention now, lol.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

personally, and this is just me, even if there were no drawbacks and getting buzzed at work was my idea of fun I'd still rather be paid in money than in mediocre beer or pizza or whatever, and get out early enough that I can drink on my own time with my actual friends. It's like a twelve-year-old's idea of a good job perk

My boss drunk-dialed my husband

Well, yeah. That's the whole scam with these. Any of these crappy techbro startups will stress how they have a ping pong table and a FREE CEREAL BAR and free beer or whatever it's to trick you into working an hour of unpaid overtime for $0.14 worth of raisin bran and staying in the office for longer than 9-5.

Baronjutter posted:

This is what gets me with so so many of these stories. Apparently a huge number of people just have zero spine or self respect and will put up with everything or have come to normalize incredibly hosed up poo poo because they've just not experienced anything else. "Hey my mom tried to cut off my daughter's hand for the 3rd time, feel bad going no contact though as family will get mad. Just going to try to keep knives away from her when she visits." "Hi my dog's in the vet again after my girlfriend poisoned him again but I can't afford the vet bills since she stole all the money from my account. I feel I'd be in the wrong breaking up because she has anxiety issues" "My roommate is actively shooting at me right now, forgive grammar as I'm posting on my phone behind a makeshift barrier dodging bullets. Roommate is unemployed so if we kick him out he might have trouble finding a new place, would I be the rear end in a top hat if we did?"

Like its just insane what people can put up with.

Yeah, when it's just the OP who's involved, you can say "all right, enjoy your life of poop crumbs," but when they rope innocent people and animals into it, they cease to be victims and become complicit with the person actively doing the abuse.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Intervention, hell, I'm just saying put it in a Camelbak.

Camelback on the shoulders, stadium pal on the ankle.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

limp_cheese posted:

How often are people getting pizza and arrested in your town?

At that point I assume the cops just follow the pizza guy and arrest everyone they deliver to.

OP could live anywhere and this would be true. If the pizza guy is late to your house, there are consequences.

I don't think she often makes the cops and pizza guy race each other for her amusement. Arresting all the stoners at 2am is a good way to none pizza left beef up your minor possession conviction numbers I guess.

If she's going to swat her sister, she should just kind of like, admit what she's doing. It's like she's buying the pizza as an indulgence because she knows she's not actually helping.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

spouse posted:

I had a question about this situation, though I feel I already know the answer. I have next to no experience with the legal system beyond traffic violations. When the cops pick her up for escaping court ordered rehab, will the court most likely send her back to rehab and *then* prison for the violation, or just straight to prison?

Also, her sister getting into drugs is very likely because she had to play Anna and never got to be Elsa when they played Frozen. This is all OP's fault.

Count yourself lucky: like they say in "Judge Dredd," it's a meat grinder. Keep clear of it if at all possible. The process is something like this:

Longpost of american criminal justice stuff, spoilered for length.
Since the cops took her alive, she will be going first to jail for processing. There, she will be held and interrogated and either her parents will pay for a private lawyer, or the cops will assign her a public defender who will tell her to plead guilty.

Then she will go before a judge where she will be either remanded (not let out of jail until trial date) or he'll quote her an extortionate amount of cash bail. If her parents don't want her to rot in jail until her official trial date (which can be months or years,) they can either pay the sum themselves if they are very wealthy and have any money left from paying the lawyer (which is tens of thousands for even simple stuff like this) they can pay the ransom and take her home, hoping she doesn't scamper off to do more meth before her trial date.

If she does flee from her parents' recognizance and doesn't show up for the trial date, the court keeps all the money. If she does show up, the court gives it back to the parents (or is supposed to, anyway, after stealing some for fees).

If the parents can't afford the bail, they'll go to a bail bondsman and he will pay the bail for him and they will pay 10% of the bail amount to him. If the daughter doesn't show up for the court date, he will dispatch bounty hunters to find her so he does not lose the bail amount to the court.

Escaping court ordered rehab on its own probably isn't an especially serious crime so won't have that severe of a sentence associated with it. Since the cops took her alive, I assume the daughter is white, so the legal system will go as easy on her as it ever does on anyone. What's probably at play though is if the court forced her to go to rehab, it was probably in lieu of sending her to prison for a more serious drug-related crime she got caught committing, like burgling houses to steal tvs to sell to buy meth or something, so her not going to rehab is probably a parole violation, which will probably get you a year or two back in prison, especially if it's not her first time pulling this kind of poo poo.

Aside from that, she might well have had some meth on her so might get sentenced for minor possession (3-8 years) or depending on the amount/how much the cops want to pad their numbers, intent to distribute (a shitload more years) plus whatever other ancillary fake crimes they want to tack on (resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, etc).

The prosecutor will pad out the list of crimes as much as they can for haggling purposes and pin most but not all of it on the sister, especially if she's stuck with a public defender, who will always tell her to plead guilty and take whatever poo poo deal his coworkers in the prosecutor's office are offering, trying to scare her away from risking a jury trial because if she opts for that, she's risking being convicted of 100% of the charges and not just some of them, plus it will take a lot longer.

If she takes the deal, she signs a form and goes to prison for x amount of time. Depending on the terms, she may be eligible for early release and/or parole, but if she is a habitual parole violator, this harms her odds considerably.

If she goes to trial, she'll spend however many months or years the trial takes in jail if no one was able to pay the bail, or at home if they were and she doesn't run or go back to committing crimes and getting caught. If she wins, that's that, she moves on with her life. If she loses, she goes to prison for a very long time.

Once she's in the prison, if she's very lucky, there will be rehab programs inside the facility which she can get into if she has good behavior and there is a spot (and if the people running the prison feel like letting her in ofc) but even if all these things align, these programs are usually not free; prisons will charge the inmate and/or their families a lot of money to pay for the counselor to come and tell her to not do drugs, and if they can't pay then she doesn't get to do the program.

I do not see any likely path to her being told to go back to rehab instead of prison, especially if they found meth on her.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Erainor posted:

30 million people play MTG. I don't get the obsession, but I have friends who do. Will a court actually hear a case about Magic cards?

Yes. Even if you don't play it, they are objectively collectibles that can be worth a lot of money. When explaining them to a judge or other old person who doesn't know about nerd poo poo, I usually say "they're like baseball cards. Think of the black lotus in this case like a Honas Wagner." which handily explains that some of them are rare or limited and worth a lot of money, and why someone would need more than one pack since they are not like playing cards.

Neito posted:

Pop culture has told me thousands of times that "guys don't make passes at girls that wear glasses", but I've literally never found this to be true. Are there really people out there who think that glasses look bad?

It's not about the glasses, it's about what they represent. The expression is from like the 1930s when it was even more encouraged to give women who read grief. Depictions of women with glasses in like, political cartoons and animation were unflattering, like the hen with glasses in "Foghorn Leghorn." Since they couldn't attend college, they were probably teachers in one-room schoolhouses on the prairie whose employment contracts forbade them from dating, so you shouldn't waste your time. In code-era films, characters like this were often lesbian-coded. I think there was a joke about it on The Toast where Lavery said "the expression should be 'guys, don't make passes as girls who wear glasses.' "

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a way to like batch search subreddits? I look for terms but a lot of the results are obviously not the type of subreddit I would want. So like instead of one subreddit or the whole or Reddit could I just search like r/deadbedrooms, r/relationships, r/aita, for example?
Try google site search since reddit's search, like every aspect of the site, is lovely.

pentyne posted:

There's some quote about forgiveness I can't remember that it's really more to the benefit of the offender then any sense of closure or healing.

Yeah, there's a reason they're always the ones pushing for their victims to forgive them and invented the whole 'forgivness is good for you the victim ackshually" bumper sticker and throw pillow industry.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Nextdoor, but definitely belongs here.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1451321699371151360/photo/1

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

OhAreThey posted:

dayyyyuummmm

Was that Emily Yoffe or Daniel Lavery as Prudence? The snark sounds like Emily.

It was Yoffe. While Lavery had much better opinions and advice overall, being much better about queer stuff and less susceptible to :decorum: poisoning, I do wish he was as comfortable directly insulting bad guys who'd write in as Yoffe was.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

therobit posted:

AITA for telling my gf I can't be a parent because she won't let me?

"I don't care about anybody else. When I think abOOOOOuut you, I cuck myself."

OP has no rights legally, or in practice, his gf sucks, the kid who isn't his sucks, his staying present in the relationship is not having any positive effect since both of them are just whining about it. In other words:

Nooner posted:

Lol how did that guy get cucked so hard without even another dude in the picture

He put in his 10,000 hours.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Half of Dracula posted:

Not that I don't support a pointless vengeance quest but what is the dudes goal here. Annoy his neighbor until... something happens?

Until the neighbor moves.

Found a good one in legal advice

Husband's teeth have been confiscated by dentist.

quote:

My husband just got back from his dentist to get his dentures readjusted and he and the dentist got into an argument about the fitting. He hasn't been able to wear them without gagging for 30 seconds, they fall out, the bottom mounts don't touch the teeth they are suppose to mount. She got angry, sat him up in the chair, and took his dentures. She said she would give him a refund, and to leave. He waited 12 weeks for these dentures, without teeth, then another 2 weeks of these dentures destroying his gums, falling out, and gagging. My question is, so we have any legal recourse here? Can she just take his teeth? Should he go back and get them and go to a different dentist for a second opinion? Do we take the refund and go somewhere else and start over?

Edit: we are in Florida. Also, the dentures are paid in full already.

Update: He got the teeth back, we are going to get a second opinion from another dentist.

If the new dentist says these teeth are improperly made, do we have any legal recourse?

comment from op

quote:

She walked in, sat him up in the chair and curtly said "we need to talk, your expectations are unreasonable, im not going to fix them. I will issue you a refund and you can go somewhere else." And walked out. She was rude and very unprofessional. We have already had 6 weeks of back and forth about getting the teeth before receiving them. We were left dumbfounded to say the least. I've never had anything like this happen to me before. We had never been to this dentist before he started seeing her to get the dentures.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Akratic Method posted:

I honestly don't know enough about the experience of getting dentures to have any idea who's being unreasonable here. Like, do you always need to kind break them/your gums in and he won't accept this and demands an impossible perfection? Or are they just wrong and the dentist hosed up and is going "nah, fixing it sounds hard, gently caress off"?

I'm leaning dentist because a refund is being issued (if that's not just a lie, I guess: unscrupulous businesses certainly claim a refund "is coming soon" to make you go away for a while).

Karen and her husband are being unreasonable. You have to clear a very high bar of obnoxiousness for a medical professional (especially a dentist) to fire you as a patient.

Yes, you do need some time to acclimate to them for some time and they're never gonna be as good as your birth teeth or implants. Think of it like a glass eye or prosthetic limb. You take time to adapt fully and even once you get there, it's impossible for it to be exactly the same.

OP and her husband are refusing to accept this which the dentist has 100% explained and demand impossible perfection.

If fixing it were possible, the dentist would do it because it'd mean more money and a satisfied patient.

Unscrupulous dentists (who definitely exist) don't really tend to lie about offering refunds; they mostly tell you you have problems that don't exist and then charge you for fixing them, like evil mechanics.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for narcing on my roommate for graffiti?

quote:

I live with three other roommates, one of which is just terrible (we’ll call her V). She’s vegan, and she constantly harasses the rest of us for eating “unhealthy.” She leaves coffee beans on the floor that could poison my other roommate’s dog. She has an issue with not asking us before using our stuff. She’s used my hairdryer without permission and my other roommate’s (we’ll call her D) tweezers. She also trauma dumps regularly on our third roommate (we’ll call him L) and he’s walked out of the room they share multiple times because he couldn’t stand her talking anymore. V also threw a fit when we tried to lay down boundaries with her, claiming we wouldn’t have them when we got older, which is actually not true at all.

Overall, V is a total bitch who won’t settle for anything unless it’s her way. I feel like I’m walking on eggshells every time I talk to her.

Me and my roommates all go to the same school, and we’re all in the same major, just in different years. While V is older than all of us, she’s a sophomore.

When graffiti showed up in our major building’s bathroom, I suspected it might be her, but I had never seen it until some of my classmates showed it to me. My jaw dropped. It was her work. I’d seen her sketchbook multiple times and one of the drawings on the wall was the exact same as her tattoo.

Let me be clear here. I do not hate graffiti. When it’s in a public space, I strongly believe it’s doing it’s job, making a statement, and letting artists create. But this was in a brand new building, in a bathroom stall that very few people visit, and the teachers would have to shell out money to clean it up themselves. The professors AND department head gave out warnings, saying that they didn’t want to get anyone suspended or expelled, they just wanted whoever did it to clean it up. They didn’t want to include security or administration. When no one came forward, I anonymously reported V. Her student ID was temporarily disabled and she was lectured for her behavior.

Now she’s going off about how all the professors in our department are narcs, and I can only sit there and say nothing, because I know she would make my life a living hell if I told her I reported her. I can’t help but feel amused that she finally faced the consequences of her actions. But I also feel bad for reporting her. We both believe in using art as a form of protest. But her graffiti wasn’t protest. It was just being selfish and entitled. She’s still going to school. It’s not like she lost her scholarship or anything. She just doesn’t understand that she can’t go through life pissing people off

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 23, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

This is honestly the dumbest thing. An entire management suite of total weenies who even after a year can't bring themselves to say "Jane's gone, I don't care how much you still love her or how big the shrine you built out of keyboard lint and old ID badges is, shut up and do your job".

Lol at multiple people pussing out to the point of quitting their jobs over this rather than just raining down warnings and dismissals until the "you're not my real dad" bullshit stops.

Managers are not workers. They do not do anything, especially not manage their employees.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

OGDanDogg posted:

My dad says that you know things are hot when they're slippery.

This post made my physically gasp.

The Bee posted:

Was there ever an update to Timothy?

Timothy is one of my favorite posts from this thread's dynasty. No, because the in-laws murdered OP and turned her empty skin into a mouse dummy which they provide the voice for.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is that part of the Gnomeo and Juliet cinematic universe

It is amazingly an unrelated film which is mostly about gremlins. It stars George Lopez.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Piell posted:

AITA for telling my husband to have his therapy sessions somewhere else?

From the comments

So what does everyone think, porn or gambling?

quote:

(he works a demanding job but I won't mention it because I don't want him to be judged for it)
While his domestic abuse of OP does certainly sound coppy, copsuckers tend to be stupid enough to think everyone else loves cops too, so wouldn't say something like this. I feel like he's probably some cop prestige class like ICE child concentration camp guard.

At least one of his therapists (probably the second one) he acquired to brag about his infidelity when he didn't get the reaction he wanted from his first one who he now sticks to telling about ways he violated the Geneva conventions while at work.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

doing the mrs doubtfire restaurant scene but I’m going to two therapy appointments in the same building

Going to a therapist who is insufficiently sympathetic and then going to a second therapist to whine about that therapist sounds like an ep of "curb your enthusiasm."

AITA for using my wife's razor to shave my rear end?

quote:

Pretty simple: wife walks in while I'm shaving my rear end in the shower. She asks, "Are you using my razor??" It's the only one available. Yes, I say, but I washed my rear end first and I'm going to clean your razor (like I always do). She's pissed. Ew! Are you serious?? You're disgusting etc. etc. I say, come on, it's not like it's a toothbrush! You only use it to shave your legs and armpits. It's not like she's using it on her face! Anyway she's still upset - look, it's cheaper to share a razor and it's not like it's not cleaned after every use. AITA?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for giving away the car to my friend in 48 hours that my parents bought me for learning how to drive?

quote:

I(29M) honestly hate driving and do not plan to have a license or use something other than a bike. I live in a capital in Europe so a car is mostly useless unless something urgent happens.

My family is from rural areas and for them,a car is something sacred. They are also very rich due to the stocks from my mom's dad and I also have a good share on it. But I was always the black sheep between my three brothers(we are quadruplets, seriously) . I was the nerd one who hated going outdoors and always read books and stuff from internet which was very unpopular at my town. I was the only person in our town library sometimes and my parents did not like how I was but my grandparents forbid them interfering so my usual teenagehood was in library,with my grandpa,reading about some stuff. I think he wanted me to be an intellectual and he was the only one to support me when I said I am going to the big city for medical school.

Well,I went,they also moved in with me and for that,neither my parents and brothers nor my dad's siblings and cousins forgave me for having them. If they weren't with me in the city,I would die from starvation or lack of.self hygiene in medical school. They took care of me,it was a really big thing to find some home meal ready every night after a long study day or a night shift. I also had so little vacation so we would mostly go somewhere other than our hometown and due to all of this,they resented me until they came to my graduation and we started to make up. I still live in the same city,my grandparents moved to Southern Italy as their retirement town and my family also comes to visit me regularly. They always come with cars but I hate them and honestly don't hop on them unless we are going out of the city. They were always trying to get me driver's licence so I can share this experience with them(they all love their cars,like a lot).

Last week,my parents came with a new car,a really cool car actually,an Audi RS5. I was shocked and honestly very mad that they bought me something like this. I thanked from outside but when they left to their home,I called my friend,asked he wanted a new car and sold him from a token price so my parents could not object to the sale. Well,all of the family are mad at me now and call me a soft assed city boy and my parents refuse to speak with me. My grandparents think I might have gone too far.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Take my car, please!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

teen witch posted:

While I see it’s slowly dying, I want the long con divorce dad topic to die and be dead, so with that, we are done with that topic goddamn it sucked the first time it was posted.

Thanks!

AITA for trying to tell people how the law works even though it apparently sounds stupid to everyone and not going with the common opinion and making everyone happy?

quote:

So I was out clubbing a few weeks ago when I witnessed a guy stealing a bottle of alcohol from a bar and the staff caught him in the act. The staff requested that he would pay 240 USD for the bottle, which would be normally valued at 40 USD. I am a (28m) lawyer with specialization in both property law and criminal law so I told him that the staff did not have the right to charge him that much for the bottle. He decided to ignore that advice and pay.

Before I go further I have to clarify that in my home country the common practice is that you cannot request compensation that is greater than the common value of the relevant item. So basically if I steal an item that you can normally buy at 10 USD the plaintiff cannot request a higher amount for that item. Even though he could have sold it for 150 USD to someone.

Later that night I was at an afterparty with some people and I told them about this encounter. Immediately people started to question this and telling me that this isn’t true, as in I can as a bar owner sell a bottle for 240 USD in my bar even though normally you can buy it for 40 USD and therefore he had to pay that amount. I tried to argue that it did not matter that you could sell it at that amount because both the law and common practice dictated that you could not request a higher amount than the common value of the item.

At that party were few other people and one that was also a lawyer (though not specialized in property nor criminal law). Suddenly everyone started to argue with me and take sides with the bar staff, I clearly stated that I personally was not against the idea that you could request that much for an item but how the law was that wasn’t the case. Long story short, everybody at the party were telling me I was wrong and I did not know what I was talking about. At the end people were starting to get angry with me for not going with their opinion.

I am not one for arguing, but this is a subject I know a lot about. It ended with disagreement and I went home. At home I started to question if I was really wrong about this so I decided to dive in the subject and low and behold you can charge 240 USD for a bottle but if someone steals it and the common price of that bottle is 40 USD you cannot request a much higher amount for it (I know it sounds stupid but this is how it is in my country).

Fast forward to tonight, I mentioned this to another group I was with. Suddenly everyone was against me again that I was in the wrong here for disagreeing with the other group, I still argued my case. Which again ended with resentment against me for not going with their opinion.

Now I am sitting here at home thinking that I am the rear end in a top hat. I am seriously starting to doubt my decision about arguing my case and thinking that I was in the wrong for not going with everyone elses opinion and keeping the peace.. I feel like a know it all rear end in a top hat who doesn’t want to listen to other people opinions.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's such a weird post, because why would the law work like that anywhere? It's telling you "always try to steal, either you get a free item, or you have to pay the worth of the item, like you'd bought it." OP of course does not specify the country he lives in. I assume from his behavior, he's an idiot and is confused about how law works.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mx. posted:

AITA for accommodating only one of my daughters?

Fire OP into the sun.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Someone who is not me is minting NFTs from panels of my old sprite-based webcomic
Intellectual Property

quote:

Back in the early 2000s, I had a short-lived webcomic, as was the custom at the time. I used recolored 8-bit sprites from [large video game company], along with original characters drawn in the same style, as was also the custom at the time. My website shut down almost fifteen years ago, but someone with copies of my strip is removing dialogue from individual panels and minting them as NFTs for sale.

I live in California. [Large video game company] is in Japan. The NFT creator could be anywhere.

Is there any basis for me to claim copyright or threaten the NFT creator with a copyright claim from [large video game company]? I recognize no effective enforcement mechanism exists and all I can do is send nasty emails, but I would like my nasty emails to be legally accurate.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

No info on that available yet.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

We're not supposed to poop in the museum.

AITA for forcing our families to only give my child gift cards or cash as presents?

quote:

My husband and I have one child who is going to be two years old in December. She will be our only child, and she is and will be the entire 'next generation' in her extended family. Not counting our friends, she has 4 grandparents, a great-grandparent, and 6 aunts and uncles (3 couples) who ONLY have her to dote on.

We both come from cultures that adore babies and large families, so a generational bottleneck like this is unheard of. Last year, we realized that we needed to do something, because her birthday and first Christmas were...insane. Each couple sent 5 gifts each, and the grandparents all sent TEN. We had gotten a few things, so she had 40 gifts in total. Most of them were duplicates, and we had to make multiple car trips to donate all the duplicate items.

We decided that there needed to be a new rule: each person could only give one physical gift, and anything else they wanted to give had to be in the form of a gift card or donated to her college fund. Gifts outside of this would be returned to sender. This would still easily mean upwards of a dozen physical gifts on every occasion, but would at least keep it reasonable, and cut down on duplicates.

We texted this out back in March, where it was mostly ignored. We're now being asked what our child "wants for her birthday/Christmas". We repeated this rule, and it is...not going well. We're being called selfish and everyone is saying that it's rude to ask for or give gift cards/money. We tried explaining all the reasons that it just doesn't work in this situation, but they won't hear it and we're having a lot of seperate arguments. My mom is the only one who agrees with this and is getting into it with my husband's mom. They're talking about canceling Thanksgiving over it. Am I really in the wrong with this idea?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Remember Olestra?

There's a fun podcast ep about the history of Olestra

PancakeTransmission posted:

Gotta say, maybe I'm not a real goon but I have no skid marks on any of my underwear. Don't poo poo myself and neither do my farts somehow spray poo poo all over them

Perhaps you occasionally eat a vegetable, use a bidet, change your underwear every day, or employ flushable wipes. Any one of these things puts you a few rungs above the typical r/relationships husband on the evolutionary ladder. Good for you.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cythereal posted:

This is my guess. Doesn't live close to her family, doesn't talk to them on social media, refers to going to see her family as 'driving down' to them? Good odds she's Southern with a standard-issue white trash family who went to college further north and improved her life substantially.

The crab mentality is real.

carcinization (derogatoy)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

cumshitter posted:

I'm not really sure its an own to say someone was prevented from joining an improv group. I say this as someone whose family has a lot of Second City connections.

How impressive is it to have done improv in college? It must thus be less impressive to have failed to do improv in college.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mx. posted:

My (33m) wife (30f) thinks our house is haunted and wants to sell it and move

just pay a guy on craigslist $20 to pretend to exorcise the house, she seems dumb enough to fall for that

Divorce. If she's spooped by the house, kick the wife out. Problem solved. Imagine marrying someone, having two kids, and never doing the due diligence of finding out whether they're so medically stupid they believe in loving ghosts and are worried about being harmed by them.

While it is the classic comedy option, you really can't indulge behavior like this as it just causes idiots to demand ever more expensive monster sprays or candles that smell like Gwyneth Paltrow's gooch.

Funktastic posted:

AITA for being annoyed when my nephew always orders the most expensive food on the menu?

"I have a nail in my head. No I will not pull the nail out of my head. It is very normal in Asia to have a nail in your head."

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

These stories always end up being carbon monoxide leaks causing severe hallucinations.

Carbon monoxide unfortunately affects normal people just as much as it does stupid people. If that were at play, OP and the kids would also be seeing strange things. I'm kind of inclined to believe occasionally his kids move the remote, they're still finding established places for stuff after moving into a new house, etc versus him ignoring CO symptoms. If he hasn't replaced the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector lately, by all means it's worth checking, but it seems to be a pretty clear case of chronic fecal encephalopathy for the wife.

cumshitter posted:

Engineers are truly the worst people to ever live. I don't know if the profession attracts broken people or if it's the education that shatters their mind. Either way they think they're smart like doctors, who are also stupid but at least have the excuse of having to work for years on a schedule designed by people who took cocaine all day and then heroine to fall alseep every night when you could buy miracle speedball tonics everywhere.

Every engineer I have ever had to deal with has been a uniquely terrible client in their own way.

Idiot chuds are drawn to engineering. If you knew any of the people who later became engineers when they were younger, they were always Like That. Doctors are occasionally good within their field, but are famously Bad With Money. If you look into your state's monthly newsletter of which doctors lost their licenses, it's usually not to do with malpractice, but embezzling from their practices so they can invest in crypto or dog heelies or soup tubes.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In my experience, good OBGYN clinics go hard on HIPAA violations, because statistically pregnancy is the most dangerous time of a woman's life, and not because of the pregnancy itself.

Then I hope this is a good one. She needs to be fired, preferably into the sun.

AITA for not wanting to eat off my friend’s half-clean dishes?

quote:

I (23F) went over to my friend’s place for dinner, and while she was cooking in the kitchen for like half an hour, she was going off on a tangent about random different things, and she mentioned at some point that she hand-washed the dishes today instead of using her dish washer.

I thought I heard wrong and actually asked her to repeat to make sure. I started looking at the dishes we would be eating off sitting on the table, knowing they weren’t truly clean, and I started getting nauseas thinking of eating off half-dirty dishes and all the gross pathogens probably on them. I started thinking of her cleaning them by hand with a filthy rag instead of using the sterile machine, and I got so grossed out I felt sick and didn’t want to eat the dinner anymore.

I made up a good excuse and said I had to leave and couldn’t stay for dinner. She seemed offended like I didn’t like her cooking. I’m sure the cooking was great, but I couldn’t stand to eat off unhygienic plates with unclean silverware. AITA for leaving?
And here I thought "eh, the water will get it" was just restricted to r/relationships men when it came to washing their assholes in the shower.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Alchenar posted:

Dishwashing machines aren't sterile.

No, but if you're using your knives to eat and not perform surgery, sanitizing them is adequate.

If you have a working dishwasher, you should use it. It gets your dishes cleaner than hand washing them and uses a ton less water.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Could be infrasound. Certain low frequencies that humans can't hear can still cause stuff in your body to harmonize/vibrate with it.

I remember reading somewhere that an AC unit was putting out some 17 hertz sounds and it was causing certain people's eyeballs to vibrate slightly in the vicinity of it (making them see "ghosts").

This is literally a Lovecraft story. So that's why he was afraid of air conditioners.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

monkeytennis posted:

What the gently caress is this. I am outraged.

Literally what is the problem. Hot water is hot water.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cobalt-60 posted:

Either the boss cannot stand Being Wrong,or there might be accounting "irregularities" she's worried about. Or it's the return of Guacamole Bob.

What is Guacamole Bob?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

[...]dental plan.

Lisa needs guac!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

feedmegin posted:

I work in tech. The one place I worked for that stopped giving us free coffee, stopped giving us paychecks on time a few weeks later, and then stopped giving us paychecks at all.

In some places, when the higher-ups hear the death knell for the company, they want to try to cut costs as much as possible before the inevitable and tell the middle managers to do everything they can to make it as annoying to work there as possible to try to get people to quit to avoid paying severances. One strategy is to start charging/pennypinching for stuff that used to be free like coffee or, in an office I used to work in, napkins.

RoboRodent posted:

I had a job years back where the owners got us a keurig and put out a little cup to collect coffee money. No set price, just to contribute for coffee pods. This was a place that way perhaps technically a small family business but was also bringing in serious money. Like, the owners had a Filipina immigrant nanny for their kids, pretty sure through the temporary foreign workers program, until they got in trouble for never giving her a day off, so when she managed to quit, they replaced her with two new Filipina immigrants and then bought a house for them to live in so that they didn't have to have them around when they weren't working.

I only drink decaf for health reasons so I bought my own pods and never contributed to the coffee fund, but it did not escape my notice that the money in the jar would empty and it absolutely did not line up with the price of the replacement coffee that occasionally showed up. Eventually turned out that the keurig was a commercial-grade machine that was rented from a local company and my bosses just decided to stop paying the rent for it and keep the machine. They were very indignant when it got repossessed, but I'm not sure what they expected to happen.

This is in line with the time they made a big deal about a new extended health care plan they were offering, and then cancelled the coverage a few months later without telling anyone because "nobody uses it." They did not seem to understand why I was upset about the surprise $75 bill when I went in to get my monthly prescriptions and my coverage was gone.

Buckets of money, but allergic to spending any of it on anything but themselves. Would book you for fifty hours a week and then wave off your concerns with "oh we don't pay overtime here" as though that were a reasonable or legal policy to have. I would just refuse to be booked for six days a week, and it pissed them off so much.

I worked there way longer than I should have.

The coffee was only a symptom.

Yikes. I worked someplace where the boss bought us a keurig out of petty cash. He'd provide pods but we could bring our own. I bought some online from the office supply store, but our department was downsized before they arrived. Hope whoever was working there a couple weeks later enjoyed them lol.

feedmegin posted:

Do you mean hoteps in general? Because yes, it is.
The creation myth hoteps believe is obviously not true, but hoteps do unfortunately exist