Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That word and brother is 100% racist there’s no not racist context/use for it.

It’s a relatively “minor” and obscure slur but the fact he used it at all means there’s no other context or guesswork about the rest of the stuff it’s just all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DreamingofRoses posted:

They’re not talking about the J word. Read better.

Never

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Quickly editing out a bad attempt to get an own in, the shame, the shame

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DreamingofRoses posted:

What do you do if you love perfume and your partner claims that perfume gives them headaches?Just wear it and spend time on your own, smelling yourself?

impressive how sheerly sociopathic yet relatively begin she is

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah normally let people eat food the way they want but what the gently caress why even eat nice steak if you want it well done much less a rare delicacy

E: on second thought she could be pregnant or something and he took it way too far either way so host also sucks too so everyone in this story is terrible

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 29, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Dad is roughly slightly less concerned about his misplaced 8 year old child as I am when I cannot remember where I put my phone/keys but don’t have any urgent reason to need them

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cythereal posted:

Also, speaking Urdu means they're from (or in) India. So assume regressive social norms and a double helping of racism.

Urdu is way more common in Pakistan in particular and the stans, the vast majority of Indians speak Hindi and/or English which are by far the most popular languages there.

I'd guess that Urdu isn't even top 5 given how many languages India has and how Urdu is generally limited to the mountains.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amy has a smaller bedroom. I'd refuse to switch as well, unless I got a drop in rent.

AITA for snitching on my brother for being sexist and gross?

In a certain context among friends/family that would be a hilarious dunk because of the age gap but I'm guessing this isn't the first time he's said something gross and he didn't mean it to be funny/lighthearted and wasn't being facetious about the use of "college slut" or "milf" thing.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

spacetoaster posted:

When I was 20 and in college there was a 26 year old dude with a beard in the dorm and I thought he was old as gently caress.

Other than that, lol that this lady is running to her parents (after sending him to his room? lol) to sort out her teenage brother rather than just talking to him. I'm sure just slamming a massive hammer on him will solve the issue.

I mean it's not wrong for her to tell the parents but I feel like just relentlessly mocking those types until they realize they're embarrassing themselves instead of the next Dave Chappelle works better. I've found that works way better with chuddy family members than trying to heart-to-heart about them saying bigoted stuff. Everyone sides with the person who seems "less serious" generally and they're usually extremely thin skinned.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My understanding is that the “proper” waygu cooking method requires special charcoal that doesn’t smoke much. It’s “cooked” in small pieces at low temperatures so the outside has this melted fat flavor that’s almost like some uber fancy bacon but also rare outside with a raw inside. Ive had it once it was very very good. Expensive though. Worth trying once if you can find it.

There is a justified element in being annoyed when someone butchers some kind of delicacy or insists on having it in a particular unique way that seems to defeat the point but this guy isn’t really justified in taking it a fraction of the length he does.

Insisting on having A5 waygu well done or trying to microwave it is weird and should be made fun of, but so is freaking out about it like he does.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You could probably just scold the bird in a neutral tone and it’d have no idea what the hell was going on and the idiot family member would be happy

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
He probably fucks and looks good though for a useless lump of a man tough call

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I like the “vicious” ex-wife who would withhold child visitation rights from a deadbeat who doesn’t make child support payments. Dad’s whole family sounds like poo poo, who gets fired from a gas station for lack of drive and passion?

The “I’ll pay you back”/“You don’t even have gas money” exchange is satisfying. Dude decided his nephews or nieces were more important than his kids, open and shut case

Shes not wrong but neither of their behavior is helpful to that family existing as a family much longer. She’s gotta make a choice to either pull the trigger on divorce or make it work.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

thunderspanks posted:

oh, also, about towel guy- this wonderful exchange happened and I'm sure you can deduce how the rest of the comment chain went down:

Lmao:ghost:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm 99.99% sure OP is wrong about that conclusion but there's been a whole bunch of people complaining that Disney got too woke in the last few years.

Yeah OP was reaching but this video is a pro click since these people do exist

https://youtu.be/noLsc8So_j0

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
At least the shower think makes sense now, Op just assumes that it’s a given you’d know he doesn’t like to shower I think? It’s very interesting which things he states and which things he assumes are very obvious and don’t need to be stated

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Owned lmao

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
loving PEASANTS WANT A HOUSE FIRST AND NOW THEY WANT ELECTRICITY??????? Ridiculous

quote:

AITA for asking our landlord to fix our blown fuse? (self.AmItheAsshole)
submitted 3 hours ago by bakedrice
Long time reader, first time poster.
So where we live, there has been a lot of recent storms and flooding, causing highway closures with an unknown timeline for reopening. The landlord lives about 4-5 hours away from us on the other side of the highways. Our family recently moved into a new place, and part of the reason was for my wife to have a dedicated office space. After moving in, we found out that none of the wall sockets work in her office. For some reason the fuse for this room is the only one not linked to the control panel in our unit, and is linked to the main unit of the landlords. This has of course caused problems for her productivity and stress levels, having to run an extension cord from another room and only having a few outlets for a full workstation. The Wi-Fi is also a bit spotty in there, and we can’t put an extender in there due to the limited sockets.
The landlord had gotten someone to come in and check on the outlets, and this is how we came to the conclusion that access to the main control panel is needed, but they can’t come by to open their unit for an electrician to work on it due to the closures. They offered to reimburse us for extension cords and power bars but it is inconvenient and a tripping hazard to have cords running through the house.
So today, I asked if they could get a locksmith in to open the place up or perhaps send a key to a relative or friend in our city to let an electrician in, and this is where they went off on us, saying that they were due for more floods and storms, are on alerts for potential evacuations, and that people are going to lose their homes, and here we are bothering them about a minor inconvenience and non emergency. They said we are free to end our lease early if we like.
We were a bit taken aback, and I replied back that I wasn’t downplaying their situation, and fully empathize that they are dealing with more pressing matters than we are, but we just wanted to try to find an alternative solution to potentially waiting months until they can drive back to our city. We wouldn’t have even asked for alternatives if it wasn’t a work related issue.
My view is that this is affecting my wife’s livelihood and performance at work, so we wanted to ask for more options than just running an extension cord with spotty wifi. But I also understand that they have more pressing matters at hand right now. It’s not like we were demanding the issue be fixed right away or throwing the legalities of the tenancy agreement at them, we just asked if other options for opening the unit could be explored. I feel like we should have a reasonable timeline for having basic utilities in all our rooms, and not have to wait until spring.
So are we the assholes here?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for inviting my brother's ex fling to thanksgiving dinner and offending his gf?

Lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RoboRodent posted:

Yes, this redditor should have power in their office. Yes, that should be fixed. But also, maybe pestering someone to fix a minor problem during a natural disaster is loving tone deaf.

It’s not pestering, it’s their “job,” and the tenet is just asking permission to get it fixed themselves.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

this manager has a fetish doesn't he

Nah probably did a few years in the military and wants to play NCO since he probably never got a turn.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RoboRodent posted:

Just.

"hey, I know your area just got hit by a hurricane and everything's hosed up but can you arrange for someone to come look at this outlet that doesn't work?"

"hey, how's the forest fire evacuation going? Anyway can you come look at my leaky faucet?"

I am genuinely always in the "gently caress landlords" camp but holy poo poo read the room.

“Can’t do my job” and “please let me fix the problem myself” are not the same as the way you characterized it.

I don’t know why you’re assuming for no apparent this is in the hardest hit area too.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RoboRodent posted:

Landlord is on evacuation alert.

Everyone is in this story sucks, I loving hate it.

Wanting to be able to do your real actual value added job doesn’t actually suck. What is the landlord being paid for if they can’t fix poo poo?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
“Cannot do your job” is not a minor inconvenience.

What a weird hill to die on.

You also just made up them actually being in/near this disaster site. That was never actually in the OP.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have plenty of family members or friends that are small time landlords and I can’t imagine any of them not immediately offering to drop the rent until it was fixed or quickly arranging for someone in the area to fix it. Their failure to plan ahead is tough poo poo that’s what their getting paid for and blowing up at their customer serf for expecting them to earn their rent check is loving ridiculous.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
OP still wasn’t able to do their job, and the landlord refused to allow them to do the repairs and gave no timeline when it would be fixed if ever, nor offered any compensation.

In case you were wondering though there’s a reason the landlord is being a poo poo and making up excuses- they never intended to help.

Update! Landlord is actually even more of a greedy poo poo!

quote:

✨✨EDIT WITH A SMALL UPDATE✨✨ Landlord just came to my door with a notice. Now we only have until the 8th to move. She stood at the door screaming at me how she just wants to sell the house and be done with it. How they’re closing on the 12th and I’m being selfish for not having moved out already knowing she wants to be out of the area. So now instead of having 45-50 days to pack everything….I have 30 days to pack everything on top of dealing with kids, drs appts, my husband working, and normal every day things….great……..she also got pissed cause I closed the door in her face cause my oldest (13m autistic) was standing in the kitchen having a panic attack from her yelling.
💜EDIT #2 with some info💜
• We never knew the house was on the market. There was no sign, she never told us, nothing. Not even so much as a “fck you”. We had no heads up so we could get our affairs in order
• I wasn’t assuming she would say yes. I was simply trying to figure out what finances needed to go where so we could figure out bills which I usually start doing between the 10th & 15th for the following month
• Luckily I did look at a place I used to live today and put in an application. It’s in our price range, however I don’t know if they are gonna have a unit the size we need in time for us to move. One of my friends just said if need be we can stay with her until we find a unit in our price range (thank god)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Whoops weird mobile app bug double post

Anyway guess the landlord had no problem going in person to issue an eviction request lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh lol whoops on mobile.

Nv

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anyway enough landlord enjoy DIC theory

quote:

AITA for calling my husband out on his offensive joke? (self.AmItheAsshole)
submitted 13 minutes ago by whitmoj

My husband wanted to share his business plan for the new year with me. We spent a bunch of time talking through his ideas and ways he could share it with his team members. We talked about doing a workshop and having members share what they’re doing that’s working well. My husband said that he could share how he manages to turn strangers into clients. Said his approach is basically competency, interest and diligence, “Jim’s DIC Theory”. Given that every single member of his team is female I told him that would likely be offensive and could result in a lawsuit. He flipped out and told me I have no sense of humor and thankfully don’t work for him. AITA for trying to explain that his “joke” is actually pretty offensive

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Awful app is having some weird bugs sorry for posting over and over

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

AITA for asking my landlord if we would have to pay rent due to them selling the house we rent out from under us (self.AmItheAsshole)
submitted 5 months ago * by Ordinary_Success8536
Yesterday afternoon (6/7/21) I got a text from my landlord that she is selling the house we have been renting out from under us. That we have until 7/31/21 to move out. I knew she didn’t plan on staying here in the state after her daughter finished college at the end of the year, so I figured we had til the end of this year to find other housing and save money for a deposit and such.
I sent her a text asking her if since she “dropped the bomb” that we have to move in basically 45-50 days, if we can keep July rent to put that towards moving costs and deposits since this is incredibly short notice. We have a small area we prefer to stay in due to my husbands job and my doctors (I have a rare disorder as well as a genetic heart defect). She got angry with me and started yelling at me through text message saying how she’s so unhappy living in this area and I knew she wanted to move away…despite me pointing out that as far as I knew, from our last conversation, it wasn’t going to be until the winter.
We have 3 children (a teen, a preteen, and a preschooler) that we also have to think about so that complicates things even more
AITA for even asking her if we have to pay July rent since she’s giving us such short notice to find new housing?
✨✨EDIT WITH A SMALL UPDATE✨✨ Landlord just came to my door with a notice. Now we only have until the 8th to move. She stood at the door screaming at me how she just wants to sell the house and be done with it. How they’re closing on the 12th and I’m being selfish for not having moved out already knowing she wants to be out of the area. So now instead of having 45-50 days to pack everything….I have 30 days to pack everything on top of dealing with kids, drs appts, my husband working, and normal every day things….great……..she also got pissed cause I closed the door in her face cause my oldest (13m autistic) was standing in the kitchen having a panic attack from her yelling.
💜EDIT #2 with some info💜
• We never knew the house was on the market. There was no sign, she never told us, nothing. Not even so much as a “fck you”. We had no heads up so we could get our affairs in order
• I wasn’t assuming she would say yes. I was simply trying to figure out what finances needed to go where so we could figure out bills which I usually start doing between the 10th & 15th for the following month
• Luckily I did look at a place I used to live today and put in an application. It’s in our price range, however I don’t know if they are gonna have a unit the size we need in time for us to move. One of my friends just said if need be we can stay with her until we find a unit in our price range (thank god)

Reddit voted OP the rear end in a top hat lol

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 1, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
AITA for feeding my vegan landlord a sandwich with mayonnaise?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Outing someone is wrong and bad. Very lovely of the guy to use this woman and lie to her, but she had other comebacks to the lovely mom.

Eh it’s always bad but there’s always some extreme circumstances where it’s reasonable or at least understandable and this is it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my neighbors their kids could not sled on my hill after they insisted on me not letting my dog outside while they're out there?

Give me your hill is a new one lmao

E: where in North America has a foot of snow right now???

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah the whole reason I left healthcare for tech was because it’s normal and accepted to quit your job every couple years and you have actual negotiation power even without a union. In fact it’s extremely weird for a good programmer or computer toucher to stay anywhere for a “career” and probably a sign they’re not really into the technical side of their job.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My sister who went from accountant with zero technical skills to FANG-level project manager in less than 10 years seems like planned her third job before she even started her first. Just like expert level job hopping I think her current job is the first time she’s ever stayed anywhere for more than two years since now she makes more money than god and still gets to mostly do stuff she likes.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jesus that’s dark but I’m going to read it

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Governments are the biggest loving suckers when it comes to tech poo poo.

I did a masters program while I was in the military that had a bunch of federal mid level managers and intel/cop manager types and while I wasn’t really a “programmer” then I had dabbled and written a few machine learning things and such and despite that they and the business school professor all acted like I was some Luddite when I told them all the FUTURE OF AI PREDICTIVE POLICING was laundered horseshit and worse than worthless. Even though I was the only person in that program that had ever written a line of code.

They didn’t even understand the concept of training data and it’s importance to creating a useful algorithm, they really believe “AI” is some magic that turns dogshit into gold and not just laundering a bunch of previously made decisions.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sucker is the wrong word it’s actually a great scam since you can just say computer said yes if you sentence a black guy to life for shoplifting while letting Kyle off with house arrest for his 4th rape or if you drone strike a wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

boop the snoot posted:

Yeah we probably shouldn't even consider that he's a bit traumatized by his dad's death during what seems to be the first holiday without him. Not possible.

Divorce.

Much like closeted husband or disaster landlord you don’t get a complete pass to be a shitlord moron baby that covers everything just because one bad thing that deserves some space happened.