Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I shall play in the Squid Game on the provision that someone in a public subway slaps the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I did substitles and I'm glad I did because the acting was really top notch. I feel like I would have missed a ton if I didn't have the emotions behind the voices even if I was reading. Overall show was good but not perfect but I'm just gratified to see people trying something new when it comes to TV / movies, taking chances, and being rewarded for it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yes I am now in the game!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Voodoofly I can't even understand that's you behind your non C&H avatar

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Is there some sort of inside joke that's supposed to help me understand this nonsense?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

So people just suck at Mafia now huh

Anyway that's an easy excuse for a scum daykill and honestly I also get it from a dayvig so (shrug)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hey Merk I get the vote it wasn't a helpful statement sorry bout that, not like me. I was thinking out scenarios in my head and came up with a shrug so I posted it - I honestly can see town shooting from the hip as they often do but I've always felt scum with a daykill are eager to use it early to make sure it gets used and get some smoke in the air / potentially role cred, so yeah was a null read but should have actually talked through my reasoning there.

Hal's vote reads slippery to me but it's on me so I may be misreading it - just a simple agree and vote as a second vote then follow up content is just shooting the poo poo

Merk reads town to me. B minus reads noise posting so may be flying under the radar. I have a soft spot for Voodoofly in general but he reads town too.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Going to go with Pinterest Mom for my early vote

1) Null content following daykill but then refers to the kill as a "vig" and "shaming" them, which presumes they are town. Presumption of a town role here seems super odd especially as it's among people theorycrafting on Bif's alignment.
2) Agrees with Merk's vote on me but doesn't follow it up with a vote, pushes bandwagon without actually pushing it
3) Argumentative post that strawman's what was pretty clearly a joke

##vote Pinterest Mom

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I may be a mafia grampa but vigs are town people get it together

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah well i think vigs should exhibit a lot more trigger discipline generally and it's good to shame people

Full wording here - didn't read like the generality applied to scum daykillers

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Sandwolf posted:

I really don’t like the phrase: “Going to go with Pinterest Mom for my early vote.”

Yeah I'm legit not choosing my words very carefully and coming across scummy people keep pointing these things out and I'm like drat you're right. Makes it seem like I'm not committed to the vote and just throwing it out there but really I stand by it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

B minus reads hard scum and look I don't care about all this "they're always like that" if it's scummy and they're acting like it then it's scummy no matter how much they act like it that just makes them bad at Mafia

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

tom tucker's lean on "I'm an old hand at this and don't care about your drat 'meta' playstyles, scummy play is scummy play" feels actively bad. if you argue to lunch someone for their otherwise universally recognized town behavior because it violates the constants of a normal human mind, it doesn't matter how right you'd be with any of the other billions of humans out there, you're still arguing to lunch agreed town which is pretty anti-town.

What the hell does this even mean I feel like I'm having a stroke. 'Violates the constants of a normal human mind'? I'm saying someone reads scum and this game has been tons of "yeah but this game or that game they acted like this or that" that's not a defense because if it is then Mafia is nothing but an incestuous circle jerk where anyone's poor play is excused so long as they also sucked and were scummy as town.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

If I were designing this game there would be a system in place to prevent spamming posts to get to the top of the list

You know, the whole 'red light' part with a sniper rifle

Merk have you taken a look at Pinterest? Be curious to hear your thoughts and it seems like I'm on the block unless something changes and that something would be you since you're the only one who has formed any foundation of suspicion on me that others have jumped on so why not push my theory.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Gotta say not impressed with the new guard town talent

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Looking at Meen I see the point - over-concerned with not getting last in red light / green light and I was already baffled by whatever it was he had posted on me.

I still like Pinterest who has just been coasting, though. I think the same logic applies to Pinterest, who has posts that look like excuses to add post count. See these after the announcement:

Pinterest Mom posted:

i think it's unlikely that scum would dayvig a scum, personally

Pinterest Mom posted:

rest in peace "ignatius m. meen"

Pinterest Mom posted:

I suppose I'll try watching "squid game"

Little to no actual content but almost self-consciously trying to add to post count to get out of the bottom without saying anything at all. Pinterest has still managed to not have a single vote all day despite throwing a tiny bit of shade at Voodoo (the 'geez' post) and Maer (the 'yeah same' post). I still feel good about Pinterest being scum and I think the logic of scum not wanting to get bottom is sound but Pinterest's posts show the most deceptive attempt to get around it - other people were just posting a bunch in a row very obviously but Pinterest disguised post-count inflation in low-to-zero content posts, that reads scum trying to get above the lowest post count but trying not to make it obvious.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Cool let us know if you want to actually look for scum beyond just driveby "geez" and "bad vibes" posts or make an actual vote

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah see that's not what I said and maybe that would have come up if you didn't just reply "lol" to the post which was mostly people explaining to me that people use "vig" for scum or town daykills

But maybe you're right about removing the substantive portions of an argument - not about me but how you replied "lol" to a post clarifying a single point I had made about you while ignoring the other points completely (adding null content after a daykill, agreeing with a vote without voting yourself thus stealth-bandwagoning, and argumentative strawman post), almost like you hoped with only one vote by highlighting my misunderstanding with a zero-content post you could dodge any mention of your other scummy behavior!

And now the most content and effort you've put in all game is when we have other people besides me actually looking at your post history and going "yeah this is a bit scummy" and suddenly there's no more "lol"s or "geez" but instead deeper content defending yourself.

Yeah I'm comfortable with my vote.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The string claim was pretty scummy but actually I’m not that against setup speculation this early since we effectively already have five claimed roles and a flipped Miller.

Day killer
Unconfirmed Mason 1
Unconfirmed Mason 2
Noisy visitor
Rolecop
Miller

Rolecop does make sense in a power role sense set up, as scum or town. To me i always think of rolecop a a scum role to balance out lots of town powers without overdoing it - rolecop and roleblocker being a solid combo.

Either way the string claim annoyed the heck out of me especially the first “let me investigate first” so I’d lean towards scum

Also noting that b minus still feel like they are coasting along without much content.

My top three would be Pinterest then Meen then B minus

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

When it comes to "giving him a night" the upside is him finding a role like a roleblocker or something that might be scum, if he's town, while the downside if he's scum is it gives him a night to find a cop or doctor. I'm not saying this is a reason to launch him but I don't think it's a reason to give a pass today either, in my view the downside outweighs the upside.

This all presumes Meen is a rolecop, either town or scum, which I don't really doubt as it'd be very easy to confirm a lie.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I still like Pinterest more but I would support a Meen launch

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Do you get to choose?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I mean not to be a butt or anything but we only have your word and maybe a vague gameplay vibe that you can't do other things during your "visiting", something to keep in mind.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

OK since the doors are closing here's where I stand.

I'm Ji-Yeong, in a wonderfully flavorful touch I'm a bodyguard (target a player each night and if they are killed I'm killed instead). I don't put much stock in flavor but between Merk, myself, and Cirl's flip I felt the flavor was valuable and so I've mostly trusted Merk so far between his claim also being delightfully flavorful and him just feeling pretty townish.

My instinct is scum aren't going to bandwagon on me hard, especially considering how you can feel the momentum on me without seeing actual votes, such as Hal just now and Pinterest Mom earlier after Merk first voted for me. I still think it's suspicious that Pinterest Mom, despite throwing shade at me, still has no vote placed, and that b-minus has no vote as well with only 8 hours to go.

Votecount for Day 1

Tom Tucker (4): merk, Hal Insandenza, Sandwolf, Ignatius M. Meen, Hal Insandenza, merk, merk, Voodoofly
Ignatius M. Meen (3): ObamaAkbar., merk, Bifauxnen, Maerlyn, merk
Bifauxnen (1): Maerlyn, t a s t e, Maerlyn
Voodoofly (1): Bifauxnen, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen
Pinterest Mom (1): Tom Tucker
Maerlyn (0): Voodoofly, Voodoofly
Hal Insandenza (0): Voodoofly, Voodoofly

Not Voting (2): b-minus1, Pinterest Mom

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is October 31st, 2021 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 8 hours, 26 minutes.

Of the votes on me I'm not super suspicious of an except Meen - a mid-range vote without adding a whole lot. Then Meen does a lot of noise posting about the red light green light game before chain-claiming.

If this is the case and Meen is scum I imagine other scum would b reiticent to jump back onto me as the alternative. That points towards Hal who has voted for me earlier before going to Voodoo and now casually pushing my launch without shifting a vote back, though this is a very soft read. The main ones are instead Pinterest and b-minus - if the vote is close between town and scum but there's clearly more momentum on the town it makes sense to wait and not stick your neck out and let the chips fall where they are most likely too.

Since it's clearly down to two I will ##vote Meen - would be the only feasible alternative to me but I also think it's a good launch anyway due to the momentum vote on me, the noise during the red light green light, the chain claiming, and the whole general vibe about how momentum towards Meen never really took off before shifting back to me, that's often how scum launches feel if scumbuddies are playing it cool due to another potential town target in play.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The claim was the least important part of my post Merk you're really setup speculation fixated

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I'd still rather vote Pinterest so ##vote Pinterest

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Seriously can we just launch someone? I’d vote Meen bminus Pinterest and honestly just anyone at this point if it means people get off their butts

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I'm happy with a bminus vote

##vote bminus

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I'm here for hammer happy with b-minus launch

b-minus curious because you posted zero actual content why did you have a town read on Meen?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

To clarify meant here for the deadline I can't hammer bminus I'm already voting.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Oh are we allowed to talk now?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Oh nice! That's new for me.

Yeah when b-minus claimed inventor with a rolecop ability that sealed it for me how do you get a town read of someone who has a town role that duplicates a niche role that you have in your inventor kit? Doesn't make any sense that that doesn't raise any eyebrows but hammered before b minus could reply.

Pinterest coming in late trying to be all "WELL GOOD JOB FOLKS NOW HERE'S WHO WE LAUNCH TOMORROW" as if they had actually contributed anything to the launch when in reality the first time b minus appears in their post history was them going "oh good I was nervous" after the flip and had a vote sitting on voodoo at the end of the day.

Like Pinterest you had a vote on Voodoofly at the end of the day. Your last content post was then to quote voodoo saying "And I’m starting to think both Tom and meen are town which is why it feels like their is apathy as to which of them is executed."

Then there were 4 votes on b minus in a row - silence - then right after the flip Pinterest comes in to tell us who looks good and who looks bad.

Pinterest is scum setting up an "I told you so" on a Meen or TT flip and when the train onto b minus happened said nothing and now realizes how bad that looks so tries to swoop in with help.

In summary I still think Pinterest is scum!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Pinterest Mom posted:

what are you talking about, i'm not pretending i had anything to do with the dunk i'm just giving my gut reads in light of the flip. would you like me to not?

No I'm glad you did because if you're town it's a good thing to do and if you're scum it reveals some more insight.

To me it reads scum. It feels like spin control and shoving suspicion right onto Merk is super weird. Merk stuck their neck out sticking with their vote on me while others were silent.

A sudden hard swap late in the day onto scum is a worst-case scenario - panicked decisions about claiming, trying to decide whether to bus or hammer, trying to either coordinate or go it alone. In this Pinterest was active in the thread, posts at:

18:25 - slight push onto Ignatius
18:36 - asking voodoo a question on why they think Meen is town
18:29 - comment clarifying info on Sand
18:32 - empty quote saying TT and Meen are town

That's a whole lot of noise around the launch when it was really just down to me and Meen.

Then b minus votes happen at:

18:44 - Voodoofly (reads town started momentum, 3 votes)
18:50 - Maerlyn (reads town, puts launch in contention 4 votes)
18:51 - Tom Tucker (5 votes)
18:52 - Sandwolf (maybe less townie as momentum had built, could be a bus but don't feel like it, less townie vote than Voodo or Mae, 6 votes)
18:58 - Merk states will NOT vote b-minus (reads very town to me, as scum why do you stick your neck out by posting at all?)
19:00 - Hal offers to hammer at any time
19:30 - bminus claim
19:41 - Bif hammer (7 votes)
20:00 - flip
20:05 - Pinterest says "phew"

That's a very long post by way of saying that I see a lot of townie activity in that launch but Pinterest suddenly disappearing right when the b minus train started, then suddenly re-appearing to do spin control and advocate immediately for a Merk launch, plus the other reasons I posted earlier, makes me convinced Pinterest is scum.

Glad we can talk during the night so I can get the timeline out there early!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Pinterest Mom posted:

i think you misunderstood what was happening there. I wasn't quoting voodoo to indicate I was agreeing, I was quoting voodoo saying that in response to voodoo saying "i never called meen or TT town". I did say that I don't think you're scummy, but definitely didn't think that of meen and I think my posting makes sense in that light.

Ah gotcha - rest of the timeline stands.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Voodoofly posted:

Pretty sure maer was on minus before me. She might have swapped back to you to consolidate though.

Good info - doesn't change my main read though that those two votes consolidated the momentum. I suspect the sudden swap would quiet scum, it certainly would for me on day 1, coming without any claims or anything to support it.

Merk Bif's vote may indeed be suspicious - here was a post after b minus hit 6 votes.

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok Hal I'll leave hammer duty to you since I'm workposting. Can you hold off to see if he claims anything actually good though? It's bugging me though that Meen is getting a lot of defense while binus is effortless, when binus is well known for this kind of play while Meen's younger meta involves him lurking hard as scum.

Meta defense, asking for time for a claim.

Bifauxnen posted:

Even if it was obvious (it wasn't) why did this mean you had to not vote all drat day!

Honestly

Then some shade throwing after the claim.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Also just a quick nod to the fun flavor Grandi you're a delight.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

My action was a non-event - no indication that I was roleblocked or anything like that. I can say who I targeted if we think it would prove valuable but I'd rather not as it could potentially confirm a watcher / tracker role and I don't see any upside since the person I targeted does not appear to have been the target of a nightkill

Still leaning towards Pinterest but easing into the day may make an actual case of it but I kind of already did during the "long twilight"

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

merk posted:

I think that colors my opinion of Tucker negatively. If scum, Tucker basically has to roleblock you after the Bodyguard claim. Not enough to eliminate him alone on that though, so I'm diving in now to look at content. This, also, assumes you are town.

This would be a pretty insane reason to eliminate me even a little so glad you're looking at content instead! Check out the big post I made last night on Pinterest because it still reads very scum to me during the bminus launch.

##vote Pinterest

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I really don't think Merk is scum. As the b minus launch was getting steam and clearing heading for the exits Merk stuck his neck out saying he flat out wouldn't vote for b minus and would be sticking with me. If he was scum and thus knew b minus was scum it would be incredibly bold to make that play and I don't see it. I get very town vibes from Merk.

Pinterest straight up never mentioned b minus until the flip had occured. Instead, as it was mostly a debate between me and Meen at that point, Pinterest had a vote on Voodoofly and was just posting glancing content on me and Meen, such as asking why Voodoo thought Meen was town, etc., then the b minus bandwagon happens and Pinterest goes silent. Sure there's plenty of reasons this could happen but a very good one is that scum were panicking seeing a nice town day 1 split between two townies suddenly consolidating onto a scum and figuring out what to do, which breeds inaction. The fact that Pinterest's posts continue to 18:32, then stop entirely as at 18:40 the b minus train starts, then begin again 5 minutes after the flip read as scum who's having a good time playing up the split town, running straight into a crisis and panicking into silence, then recognizing the need to spin things after the flip.

Feeling quite confident on this one.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Honestly I'm baffled what possible upside is there to hearing who I bodyguarded? Like get into my mind about the decision making process to decide if I'm scum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah the case if you’re town is you get maybe a bit of insight into what I’m thinking about who is worth protecting but by sharing that I broadcast my thinking to scum and the more info they have on my thought process the worse in my book.

It’s not as clear cut as a doc example but let’s say scum want to nail someone who is pushing them hard they might know if they have to rb me or not to do it.

I get people are curious but I don’t see the upside.