Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

It's not about never having different opinions. It's about concealing your motivations. Scum often have reason to act the same way as town. But their motivations in the moment are different.

I could be wildly off base in whether that's what you're actually doing, but that's what I'm on about. It was more for merk than for you tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Okay but why though?

Votes bif for the vig then goes out of the way to basically play both sides, bringing up that Bif did the same thing as town in another game, and sort of tut tut-ing merk and others for pushing Bif (the person she is voting) on flavor.

And then her posts today were just a slow circle backwards and still she isn't saying anything. Other than one out of the gate vote on someone who just vigged a townie that she never followed up on she has been just throwing out random thoughts without really putting anything behind them.

It feels like someone who is scum and knows they are making cases on townies so they can't really dive into them with genuine conviction, and otherwise is looking for ways to contribute without actually making cases.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

It's not about never having different opinions. It's about concealing your motivations. Scum often have reason to act the same way as town. But their motivations in the moment are different.

I could be wildly off base in whether that's what you're actually doing, but that's what I'm on about. It was more for merk than for you tbf.

You think I'm scum, I get it. I'm just telling you the truth: I play this game like a dog, posting whatever thought pops into my head that second and probably not remembering what I posted even fifteen minutes before. I used to be a good player, and study the game, go back over things, but that was a long time ago.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

I don’t really think changing your mind is scummy and neither do you according to one of your very recent posts. I’m not really buying mae as scum

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

ObamaAkbar. posted:

I don’t really think changing your mind is scummy and neither do you according to one of your very recent posts. I’m not really buying mae as scum

It's not changing her mind. It's total lack of conviction, even with someone she is voting. Honestly if she had just gone after someone else without making multiple posts about backing off Bif I'd feel way better about it.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Voodoofly posted:

Votes bif for the vig then goes out of the way to basically play both sides, bringing up that Bif did the same thing as town in another game, and sort of tut tut-ing merk and others for pushing Bif (the person she is voting) on flavor.

And then her posts today were just a slow circle backwards and still she isn't saying anything. Other than one out of the gate vote on someone who just vigged a townie that she never followed up on she has been just throwing out random thoughts without really putting anything behind them.

It feels like someone who is scum and knows they are making cases on townies so they can't really dive into them with genuine conviction, and otherwise is looking for ways to contribute without actually making cases.

I was getting ready to address this a few minutes ago anyway but merk coming in to defend you made me pause for a second, I don't know if it's just lawyerly brotherhood but it's odd.

I thought coming into this game I could have a fresh start/clean slate with Bif because the last few have been lovely, and she then shoots an inexperienced player with no warning and said she was going to save it for me. Whether or not that's true I was upset, voted Bif and went to sleep (knowing nothing would come of it but wanted to see how she reacted and if anyone else said anything).

So with a clearer mind I am looking at the thread and reminded of certain things (cookfia vig) and feeling better about Bif. I don't know that she's not scum but I'm not feeling that way about her currently.

What does me talking about flavor arguments have to do with being scum? I was telling merk pursuing info on flavor as though that proves anything is stupid. It seems like you are using this last point against me as well and I don't follow.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

ObamaAkbar. posted:

I think mae and bif are probably town

Interesting

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

b-minus1 posted:

Interesting

Binus are you scum

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I kind of see the case on maerlyn but they were just eliminated in another game for a similar style of awkwardness. I’m giving them a D1 pass, regardless.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

B minus reads hard scum and look I don't care about all this "they're always like that" if it's scummy and they're acting like it then it's scummy no matter how much they act like it that just makes them bad at Mafia

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Sandwolf posted:

Binus are you scum

Nope. I’m actually looking for the towniest person in the game besides myself. Still working on it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

I kind of see the case on maerlyn but they were just eliminated in another game for a similar style of awkwardness. I’m giving them a D1 pass, regardless.

yeah same

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeah Maerlyn seems alright so far, the most recent posts felt townie to me

Voodoo though giving me pings.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

finished the work week on a great note, having to hang up on someone who couldn't hear me anymore while talking them through the resolution for their case. I don't intend to roll over with that posting challenge now that I'm free of the calls and the need to try to rest a sane amount before 8:00 AM, just need to read stuff with a less taxed mind

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

tom tucker's lean on "I'm an old hand at this and don't care about your drat 'meta' playstyles, scummy play is scummy play" feels actively bad. if you argue to lunch someone for their otherwise universally recognized town behavior because it violates the constants of a normal human mind, it doesn't matter how right you'd be with any of the other billions of humans out there, you're still arguing to lunch agreed town which is pretty anti-town.

merk's asking for flavor info feels strange. his reasons for this aren't bad, but I've never seen him go for that as town. could be just varying his playstyle I guess

working on more thoughts as they come

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

b-minus1 posted:

Nope. I’m actually looking for the towniest person in the game besides myself. Still working on it

What’s up fam

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

tom tucker's lean on "I'm an old hand at this and don't care about your drat 'meta' playstyles, scummy play is scummy play" feels actively bad. if you argue to lunch someone for their otherwise universally recognized town behavior because it violates the constants of a normal human mind, it doesn't matter how right you'd be with any of the other billions of humans out there, you're still arguing to lunch agreed town which is pretty anti-town.

merk's asking for flavor info feels strange. his reasons for this aren't bad, but I've never seen him go for that as town. could be just varying his playstyle I guess

mafia editing because for the moment I feel like the first point here is a fair place for my vote for the moment

##vote Tom Tucker

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Where have you seen me go for this as scum? :allears:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

merk posted:

absolutely a good point, I have not because I've read maybe one of your scum games and never seen it firsthand. this is why I say it just feels strange rather than an actual ping worth voting you over. now if you got huffy from a bunch of people voting for you, then maybe I'd pile on.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

I was getting ready to address this a few minutes ago anyway but merk coming in to defend you made me pause for a second, I don't know if it's just lawyerly brotherhood but it's odd.

I thought coming into this game I could have a fresh start/clean slate with Bif because the last few have been lovely, and she then shoots an inexperienced player with no warning and said she was going to save it for me. Whether or not that's true I was upset, voted Bif and went to sleep (knowing nothing would come of it but wanted to see how she reacted and if anyone else said anything).

So with a clearer mind I am looking at the thread and reminded of certain things (cookfia vig) and feeling better about Bif. I don't know that she's not scum but I'm not feeling that way about her currently.

What does me talking about flavor arguments have to do with being scum? I was telling merk pursuing info on flavor as though that proves anything is stupid. It seems like you are using this last point against me as well and I don't follow.

Re flavor: it’s a way to contribute without making cases. Something scum do sometimes because they can’t make a case because they know people are town. Sort of hiding thru contribution. It fits with my read that other than calling out bif after a vig shot you really haven’t made a case despite calling people scummy.

That said I get not wanting to get dragged into something with bif. If you have a better option to vote I’m listening.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

What the hell does this even mean I feel like I'm having a stroke. 'Violates the constants of a normal human mind'? I'm saying someone reads scum and this game has been tons of "yeah but this game or that game they acted like this or that" that's not a defense because if it is then Mafia is nothing but an incestuous circle jerk where anyone's poor play is excused so long as they also sucked and were scummy as town.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

merk posted:

What’s up fam

Laying it on a little thick aren't you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

absolutely a good point, I have not because I've read maybe one of your scum games and never seen it firsthand. this is why I say it just feels strange rather than an actual ping worth voting you over. now if you got huffy from a bunch of people voting for you, then maybe I'd pile on.

My entire thought process was the following:

I am a noisy wanderer with a flavor claim of a noisy person in the show.
Song-woo flipped Miller, a clear antagonist but maybe good guy in the end in the show.
There are no guns held by good guys in the show. What's up with Bif?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

merk posted:

My entire thought process was the following:

I am a noisy wanderer with a flavor claim of a noisy person in the show.
Song-woo flipped Miller, a clear antagonist but maybe good guy in the end in the show.
There are no guns held by good guys in the show. What's up with Bif?

right, I followed that, and I agree that it's a good question. I'm probably overfactoring my other games where the flavor was not based on a specific TV show into my judgement of whether this is a weird thing for you specifically to come up with or not (i.e. Pathogen and my so far only scum game).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Maerlyn posted:

Laying it on a little thick aren't you?

I am usually incredibly subtle, so you have a good point here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

right, I followed that, and I agree that it's a good question. I'm probably overfactoring my other games where the flavor was not based on a specific TV show into my judgement of whether this is a weird thing for you specifically to come up with or not (i.e. Pathogen and my so far only scum game).

To be clear:
1. I hate night action bingo;
2. I hate setup speculation;
3. I hate flavor-based cases; and
4. I hate meta cases.

I am here for content and only content.

However, Bif shot a guy in cold blood and answer some basic questions about her role. I asked one.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Today, the claim from Bif is probably unhelpful. Days from now, it might be. It's worth getting her on record to say something now rather than when more of the setup is known. I stand by the question. The pearl clutching reactions to it are odd.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Voodoofly posted:

Re flavor: it’s a way to contribute without making cases. Something scum do sometimes because they can’t make a case because they know people are town. Sort of hiding thru contribution. It fits with my read that other than calling out bif after a vig shot you really haven’t made a case despite calling people scummy.

That said I get not wanting to get dragged into something with bif. If you have a better option to vote I’m listening.

So in your example wouldn't that be merk being scummy because he's trying to develop a theory about Bif's alignment by asking her about flavor / having a gun instead of talking about the action of shooting Circl? I feel like in your example you're trying to paint me as scummy for just saying that flavor is meaningless (recent experience) but merk is the one actually behaving scummy right?

As to who to vote I've got some thoughts but it's still just D1 and I don't have a clear feeling yet

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Maerlyn posted:

So in your example wouldn't that be merk being scummy because he's trying to develop a theory about Bif's alignment by asking her about flavor / having a gun instead of talking about the action of shooting Circl? I feel like in your example you're trying to paint me as scummy for just saying that flavor is meaningless (recent experience) but merk is the one actually behaving scummy right?

As to who to vote I've got some thoughts but it's still just D1 and I don't have a clear feeling yet

I am not doing the bolded. I am getting information into the thread now rather than later when she can, if scum, make a better claim because more of the setup is known.

I am very confused why this is so hard to grasp. Is asking a player who shot town minutes in the game a basic question scummy? In what way? Why?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

Context matters. I don’t think he is scummy for his questions. I think your responses were.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

merk feels self-consciously extra merk-y

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

merk posted:

Tempted to vote merk just for emote

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

merk feels self-consciously extra merk-y

i mean i guess he obviously is faking content, and we're stuck in the WIFOM of "is he faking content because he's trying to get the boon, or because he's scum, or because he's scum trying to make us believe he's faking content to get the boon"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Merk’s just hunting for the posting boon

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

To be clear:
1. I hate night action bingo;
2. I hate setup speculation;
3. I hate flavor-based cases; and
4. I hate meta cases.

I am here for content and only content.

However, Bif shot a guy in cold blood and answer some basic questions about her role. I asked one.

How do you feel about 3rd party people?

t a s t e posted:

yup

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

t a s t e posted:

definitely this

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
No

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If I was

merk