Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The New Player Experience is supposed to include voice acting for all the main quest NPC missions. Apparently the person who voiced this Spanish NPC did not actually speak Spanish, based on their pronunciation of 'querida' in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5pSoiw2M1U

As a reference, this is how it should sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpXMziwA04M

Non-English players in both New World and Lost Ark have complained that the games' localizations have been pretty awful, with most players assuming foreign languages are just being auto-generated through a software translator without any oversight by a native speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

I had so much fun in Planetside, one of my best gaming memories. Never could get into Planetside 2, but the 1st was a blast. I remember nuking people with Orbital Strikes, just looking for the best place to nuke to get as many kills as possible.

Can try again with Planetside 3 coming out soon. :v:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Discospawn posted:

The New Player Experience is supposed to include voice acting for all the main quest NPC missions. Apparently the person who voiced this Spanish NPC did not actually speak Spanish, based on their pronunciation of 'querida' in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5pSoiw2M1U

As a reference, this is how it should sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpXMziwA04M

Non-English players in both New World and Lost Ark have complained that the games' localizations have been pretty awful, with most players assuming foreign languages are just being auto-generated through a software translator without any oversight by a native speaker.

Holy poo poo yeah that's bad. I mean even if Spanish is that guy's second language how do you not know you gotta roll the r?

ninja e: Just came to the conclusion that he probably doesn't even speak Spanish and they just gave him a script and that's even more :wtc:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

:raise:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Planetside 3 is not real you big meanie :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anita Dickinme posted:

Holy poo poo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited for them to relearn the lessons of planetside 1 way too late, again

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Well, we're still 3 hours away from EU primetime and this already seems properly hosed:

There are lots of people on reddit defending AGS and New World by using the argument, "Geez, first players asked for merges because of dead servers, and now people are complaining about queues. It's these toxic players that ruined the game, and there's nothing AGS could do to make them happy." It's kind of surreal.

Also, I discovered last night that the Character XP values for leveling have been drastically reduced on the PTR server, but they also reduced the XP rewards for the Town Board quests:

As you can see, the reduction to Town Board rewards is about twice the size of the XP level reduction, so I'm pretty sure that means the grind from levels 30-60 will actually take longer when the Fall Update hits. Other quests didn't have their rewards nerfed as much, or at all, but I don't think that means players will get to Level 60 faster, it will just mean that nothing they do will feel like they're making effective progress.

People on reddit were happy to see this change, as they all said they hated grinding Town Board quests, but I don't think they realize that just making those quests sub-optimal won't actually make the leveling process feel better for new players.

There just seems to be a basic lack of critical thinking or empathy or something that prevents them from understanding that the health of an MMO is directly linked to how fun it is to play, and that anything that makes it less fun for the vast majority of people is going to eventually lead to the game's deletion.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 4, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Heh, they've started locking more servers (this may be an automated feature?), so now every server in the EU region has a significant queue, and 3 out of 6 are locked for character creation or transfers. It's literally the same problems they had at launch.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Well, when I defended the mergers the numbers looked very healthy, back then and couple weeks after the patch there was 1 EU server with long queues and 1 with medium ones and the rest were generally ok. This looks pretty loving annoying especially if you are playing on Nysa or Dry Tree. They added a queue time on the tracker, not sure how accurate it is but those 2 servers are reporting above 2 hours wait time right now (it's about primetime now).

It's interesting though, I would imagine if they did not merger servers and all the servers would have been low pop less players would have been retained. Because low pop is obviously boring. So the real issue seems to be that a 2000 population cap is to low for a game that needs a couple hundred of players to engage with the game systems to function properly (or what passes for properly in new world). Because if you add 2 servers now and population drops again on a couple servers people will start migrating to populated ones again and this would potentially repeat.

What I do wonder, why the gently caress are so many people returning now mid patch? And why do they keep playing heh. I played a bit again shortly after the patch and quickly concluded it is still not worth playing (population felt great at that point though honestly and so did quality of life improvements related to traveling and storage). Is it hype for the upcoming patch / zones? Or did the group finder thing finally get enabled?

edit: ok the queue time thing seems wildly inaccurate after looking at it for a bit. Figured as much, but yeah, I have seen queue times jump from 1 hour to 3 hours and back.

edit2: It seems to be on sale, are new people buying the game?

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 4, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Alright, these should be close to the peak numbers for the EU region:

The developer of the 3rd-Party web site added in Server Queue times to the table, but admitted they aren't very accurate. He gets the estimates straight from the server, and it seems to be the same as what New World originally displayed on it's server status page before removing it (along with the actual population numbers for each server).

Calculating wait times isn't a trivial task, it's like trying to program an accurate progress bar for a software install, so I won't hold that against AGS. Just note that, anecdotally, Aaru players are saying it's taking them significantly longer than 15 minutes to get into the game, so those times probably shouldn't be trusted to any degree.

It should be interesting to see what happens with South America and US-East in about 6 hours. US-East wasn't quite as full as EU got last night, but typically the US sees a larger jump in players for Sunday over Saturday, and with only 4 servers (as opposed to EU's 6) there's fewer options to spread any player overflow. South America will remain hosed, that is a given.

Edit: Nevermind, US-East is already clearly going to become just as hosed as EU, since this is their situation with 6 more hours of player growth:

South America already has a queue of over 300 people, so this is all just a really bad time.

AGS staff seem to not be working today, as the only official responses in the forums today have come from the 3rd-Party CM's that can't say/do anything about this situation.

Edit 2: I didn't even notice when I made the post, but AGS performed their same 'fix' for server overpopulation for EU servers as they did for South America; they increased the population caps from 2,000 to 2,200. Now every EU server still has a queue, and their game probably feels a lot worse to play.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 4, 2022

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Spinning up more servers for a 'holiday weekend' would cost money, though, which isn't in the budget. Unlike executive bonuses for cutting costs so well for a game that's underperforming KPIs.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Complications posted:

Spinning up more servers for a 'holiday weekend' would cost money, though, which isn't in the budget. Unlike executive bonuses for cutting costs so well for a game that's underperforming KPIs.
I like the idea of the entire AGS corporate structure being filled with people just 'juking the stats'. The Marketing director decided to run a 50% off promotion under the assumption it would increase sales without telling anybody (because they assumed nobody would notice a 20% increase in players for a dead game), while the Network architect aggressively cut down on servers to demonstrate their team's costcutting measures (with the assumption that less server capacity wouldn't matter for a dead game), while the Social Media manager aggressively pushed all the new content coming with Brimstone Sands, despite it being at least 2 months away, as big improvements coming to the game that players should come back to try (since there was nothing else in their arsenal they could use to generate Twitter likes for a dead game).

Nobody coordinated or collaborated with each other, and there's nobody at the top who actually cares about the game's long-term health/performance, so nobody noticed the steady increase in sales and player numbers since last weekend, and it wasn't until somebody got a phone call on their 'emergency number' (that the India-based support team has never had to use before) that they noticed their game was on fire and they might want to do something about it.

The real question is whether AGS will stop and figure out that they should start supporting their game under the assumption that it could potentially become more successful in the future, or if they do nothing meaningful because they still consider it a dead game that's not worth investing in.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 4, 2022

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Yup, game's on sale for 50% off (Don't loving buy it, you moron) and the Steam forums are off to the races with complaints about server queues.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Reddit just taught me that apparently the New World dev that sometimes posts in the official forums also has a Twitter account they use to talk about New World stuff. The game's official Twitter account has been silent, but this personal account is where the EU Server cap increases were announced:

This confirms that AGS wasn't prepared for today's player population, and it's almost the same message/response they posted when they increased South America's server cap increase nearly a month after the Summer Update (August 22):

My takeaway from this is that they don't actually have anything more they can do, since if they were able/willing to add more servers they would've already done it for the South America region. I think this will just be the new normal for at least another few weeks.

I'm not blaming this developer personally, I think they're probably the one who got the emergency phone call from the 3rd-party Customer Support center and is trying to deal with things single-handedly. I just think it speaks to AGS' lack of improvement or sophistication in game development over the last year that this took them by surprise and they apparently have no process/plan in place to deal with this situation.

Edit: Just for completionist's sake, here's a screencap of US-East near primetime today:

I saw South America reach a peak queue of 1,100 at one point.

This concludes the weekend's tracking of AGS' inability to run an MMO.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 5, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I forgot that this is a 3-day weekend for some people. Here's a composite picture showing the approximate maximum queue each server reached today:

The web site added color coding to the queue sizes a couple hours ago, that's why the EU servers aren't all red like the US and SA ones. This composite is actually a bit premature, as even 1 of the US-West servers has the potential to reach their cap today and develop a queue.

They still decided not to increase the US-East server caps like they did for EU servers yesterday. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit for that being a 'decision' and not just a symptom of AGS still not understanding there's a problem with their game this weekend. There's still been no official word from AGS in any form about any of this.

Edit: One of the most popular threads on the subreddit last month was a screenshot showing how the recent reviews for the game on Steam had crept to 70% (Steam's threshold for 'Mostly Positive' instead of 'Mixed').

After this weekend's queues, the recent reviews are down to 66% and dropping. As a reminder, the game's lifetime recommendation rate is 67%, so nearly a year after release the general sentiment seems to be that the game isn't getting better (if you assume that Steam reviews are an adequate proxy for tracking general user sentiment).

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 6, 2022

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I can't remember if I've asked this here or not; do you think it'd be worth waiting for the low level questing changes to come back? I want to try the game out again and never got very far in the first place. I know, I know, "game sucks, don't come back at all." But if I AM going to, should I just come back now or wait?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

I can't remember if I've asked this here or not; do you think it'd be worth waiting for the low level questing changes to come back? I want to try the game out again and never got very far in the first place. I know, I know, "game sucks, don't come back at all." But if I AM going to, should I just come back now or wait?
I would avoid the game now, just because of these server queue issues and AGS' apparent lack of response to it. Not only are the queues reaching multiple hours during primetime, but it looks like AGS implemented some 'performance enhancement' options that will put you into a queue if you logged off in a high-population area when you last left the game. As a result, even with the server is not even near capacity, you might experience a significant queue just because you were in Windward when you logged out:

Also, the New Player Experience of leveling from 1-25 should feel more like a AAA product's questline, although this will likely only take you a couple evenings to complete before you reach the part of the leveling process that's grind-y and unpleasant. You could technically experience this now on the PTR, but you wouldn't be making any permanent character progress and you'd run into some pretty significant bugs that the PTR community has found (which theoretically will/should be fixed over the next 2 months before it gets pushed to Live).

Also, they're still trying to fix some pretty annoying bugs they introduced 5 weeks ago (here's tonight's patch notes, which they claim will re-implement Instanced Wars), so the longer you wait the more stuff will get fixed. On the other hand, every major update this game has ever received has introduced a lot of very significant bugs, so maybe waiting doesn't really guarantee you'll have have a better experience with fewer bugs.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

GoGoGadget posted:

I wouldn’t bother re-rolling just for the new low-level experience unless they miraculously announced fresh-start servers, so don’t wait on that if it’s a consideration. If you’re planning to re-roll to get back into the game regardless, might as well wait until the new update + maybe give them some time to come up with a solution to the queues.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

GoGoGadget posted:

I’d say wait until Burning Sands comes out to return. I restarted playing a few weeks ago and they have made some good QOL changes but it just is probably better to wait. I’ve heard the new starting experience is pretty good.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They're adding 1 new server to the EU, SA, and US-East regions.

They are not providing free transfer tokens, and even 1 additional server will not be enough to prevent queues in EU & US-East based on the numbers from the past several days. The fact that they are essentially forcing players to spend $15 or re-roll their character in order to balance their server loads is beyond insane to me. It's also weird that they're using the same names as previously merged/deleted servers.

I'm going to stop following the game at this point. It's become clear that AGS isn't capable of, or interested in, making a good game, and following the game through reddit or the game's official forums has caused me to lose any sympathy for the remaining players who stuck with it since it's launch and continue to defend every step the developers have taken.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the final lol and lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

thank you for your service, discospawn

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

end of an era

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Don't worry, im sure lots of players will be posting about the game in here as was stated many times

:rubby:

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Discospawn posted:

I'm going to stop following the game at this point. It's become clear that AGS isn't capable of, or interested in, making a good game, and following the game through reddit or the game's official forums has caused me to lose any sympathy for the remaining players who stuck with it since it's launch and continue to defend every step the developers have taken.

thank you for your service and i wish you the best. i hope you'll still pop in from time to time although frankly i dont know how much longer this game is going to be alive after people quickly exhaust all the new PvE stuff and get tired of doing OPR (the only good thing in this game)

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

end of an era

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Pandaal posted:

I wouldn’t bother re-rolling just for the new low-level experience unless they miraculously announced fresh-start servers, so don’t wait on that if it’s a consideration. If you’re planning to re-roll to get back into the game regardless, might as well wait until the new update + maybe give them some time to come up with a solution to the queues.

I never got very high in combat levels. I mostly messed around and gathered. I think I was in the low 30s? Just gonna keep playing FFXIV until the update.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Unsurprisingly, a significant portion of the player base are against fresh start, no transfer servers when it means the major time advantage they'd have over that new/returning/rerolling playerbase would be negated. Even if it improved the player base overall, if my 625 GS no longer gives me an advantage, I don't want it to happen. Seems like you can't win against this veteran playebase.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat there's no reason for this thread anymore without disco :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And with that this thread will be as dead as the game. You've been great Disco and honestly the best part of this game. Going to close this this thread. It's been real y'all.

I guess if anyone still wants to talk about New World or whatever you can join the goon Discord server. https://discord.gg/Vcju74CD

And as always :rubby:

Jazerus posted:

the final lol and lmao

Vermain posted:

thank you for your service, discospawn

Barreft posted:

drat there's no reason for this thread anymore without disco :(