Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(not a drive by shitpost I swear, I have no skin in this new world mess)

Even in dedicated PVP games (ie, annual call of duty, battlefield and similar) where that is the entire point of the experience people still get upset if they aren't personally the ones dominating the lobby.

Everyone wants to be the winner and there can only be one. Most suggestions those people make are various forms of "everyone else needs a handicap so I can win" if you dig deep enough.

Or it's a PVE + PVP game where the farmville enthusiasts don't like the PVP side of things it's merged with at the hip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anita Dickinme posted:

You posting in this thread has activated my trap card. You must now purchase New World (if you haven’t already) and come play with me. :smug:

Ask me again in about 12 months. I'll make a judgment call then.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BadLlama posted:

this thread is the only good thing about the game

I'm only here for the show after reading the past 60 something pages and listening to some YouTube videos. The idea there were previous threads blows my mind.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

Haha, get hosed, "journalist"

I think it's "urnalist" now. A combination of journalist and urinal to better reflect the quality of their writing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you think that's bad just wait until you discover all the impractical shoes out there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is why under my glorious dictatorship of future etenity everyone will be forced to wear nothing but blue boilersuits and rubber solved safety boots.

Well not me of course. I'll wear a bazillion made-up medals on my dinner jacket.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

yeah trion poo poo itself to death in a real bad way, they were talking about corporate malpractice charges at one point

good riddance

edit: though archeage just re-launched gamigo-free, like i've said it's really hard to kill an MMO

Bless Online is amazingly hard to kill. Different necromancers keep animating the corpse and it feeds on the blood of the unwary before it collapses, only to completely re-launch the next year with a slightly different title & publisher.

Also re: Trion I believe they were in the middle of losing a lawsuit about fraud or something related to Archeage when they went bankrupt too. What a glorious organisation that was.

I miss those forums and the tinder paper skin the staff had.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 30, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wildstar: Worse than Bless, apparently.

They should have re-launched it every year under a slightly different name. That's where they went wrong.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It seems fitting if Amazon sold New World off to Gamigo for pennies on the dollar and it languished non-updated in their roster for the next decade.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Amusing thought:

Star Citizen has outlived Wildstar, which was an actual complete game (sort of). Will it outlive New World and/or World of Warcraft?

I suppose by this metric I'm talking about the development team more than anything else (because you know, nothing is a complete finished product these days). Obviously Amazon proper will be around for the forseeable future thanks to their online retail marketplace but AGS seems to be a clown car of failure. Blizzard today is a hollowed out corpse wearing a clown suit and Chris Roberts apparently wears a teflon spacesuit with gold space booties.

Quick edit - Holy mackeral. What if Shroud of the Avatar outlives this and Lord British rides off into the sunset to live in his $6000 internet castle?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokZ posted:

Pretty sure the Wildstar players are suffering from dementia, I tried it back when it went F2P and it was just boring and dull.

The old Wildstar SA thread and subreddits were full of glorious drum banging true believer posts. I doubt they've changed their opinions since.

Kind of funny because you have mmos like Perfect World International which are ancient and have subsisted off server populations of about a hundred active people for over a decade.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that Sony is definitely still around & profitable. That didn't stop them selling off Everquest to Daybreak who subsequently put the dying horse Everquest Landmark out of its misery.

Huh. Maybe Daybreak can look after New World.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We'll have a better idea around the 12 month mark post launch. Even each Bless iteration manages to last about 12 months per launch & closure cycle and (failures and all) I think New World isn't a Bless.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

arbybaconator posted:

Someone start a Wildstar thread

I guess it says a lot people would rather talk about a dead trash game that shut down years ago than whatever New World is currently.

Dug out the Wildstar "spit on corpse" thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868076&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never played it but Everquest seems like it's full of the sort of "gently caress you" design that younger me would have loved.

Older me doesn't have the time or patience for that sort of thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The impressive thing is they're still bothering to track the bugs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Swimming is lostech to the inner sphere.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That's the joy of hanging out with people you enjoy the company of. Even hanging out on a steet corner for a couple hours with nothing better to do than watch traffic can be enjoyable.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Things you can buy only for real money count as content right? I mean it'll all be recolors but still.

Thats how I knew when Rift and later Secret World were wrapped financially. When they stopped even bothering to make cheap low effort cosmetics for the in game real money stores.

IDK about Archeage. I only read up about that game when I feel like finding out about the latest "new servers" being immediately ruined by hackers & botters. Every year like clockwork.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 28, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Prophet posted:

I'll be honest, the fact that 70 thousand people still play this game is some jaw dropping voodoo magic poo poo. I can't believe that's even possible, but there are the numbers right there. I do not understand it.

Sunk cost in action.

Don't worry people who still cling to this Amazon product like drowning sailors (since you still can't swim, apparently) if Secret World Legends can survive on a peak of 192 players I doubt Jeff will turn off his servers just yet.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 29, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JuffoWup posted:

What was crucible's player count when they pulled the plug?

Not sure about when it was turned off but I found this quote from May 2020:

quote:

It's only been a week since Amazon Studio's released their free-to-play game Crucible on Steam and its starting to look like it might be in trouble. According to Steamdb, the game peaked at 25k players on launch day and has steadily lost players every day since. Today's 24-hour peak is just under 4000. Currently, there are only 3,000 people playing the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wait I found it.

quote:

With less than 200 concurrent players, Amazon is closing access to Crucible

From July 2020. Wow. So launch in May, June passes by then in July it gets shuts down.

You know comparatively speaking based off the metric of past studio success New World is a runaway hit for AGS. Good thing the freight shipping business is doing so well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zanael posted:

Regardless of the current state of the game or past problems, New World sold at least 20M copies according to steamspy. Any game with these numbers is a success financially, unless they sunk more than 800M in the development and infrastructures to run the game, which they hopefully didn't... And critically NW had a good reception on release, and the discovery is quite good in the first levels so even non returning casual players like myself that have around 20 to 50 hours in the game got something from it (well maybe not 40 bucks but too late for a refund)
Crucible on the other hand probably didn't manage to earn back development costs because of its F2P status, tiny player base and poor reception, hell it was doomed right from the alpha/beta reception.

Another good point of comparison is Trion World's Rift which around a very successful launch had about a million players and was briefly compared to WoW. A real Wow-killer meme of a game and it even reflected in the marketing. What did them in apart from the lack of reinvestment into the product killing any growth potential was the venture capital loans coming due a few years later combined with insufficient revenue to make payments leaving them bankrupt as they ran out of alternate financial lifelines. They had several rounds of venture capital investment as I recall, each one kicking the can further down the road but leaving the total amount needing payment bigger each time.

It's possible Jeff will contunue to bankroll AGS as a hobby project or outright used main revenue to finance rather than outside venture capital but I haven't looked deeply enough at their finances to know. New World doesn't just need to make money, it needs to pay off all the years of development time for not only itself but all the previous failed projects plus continue to generate sufficient revenue to allow sizable debt repayments. I suspect Jeff wouldn't use his own personal money and those investors will want to see a positive return comparable to other investment opportunities.

Will be an intersting saga to track over the next few years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FrostyPox posted:

46.8K 24 hour peak.

There's no way the game isn't going into "maintenance mode" soon, probably by the end of April. May, if I'm feeling generous. Sunset before December, easy.

I still haven't done Garden of Genesis or Lazarus, maybe I'll try to do them for shits and grins before the end if I can be bothered.

As always, lol, and lmao

True maintenance mode will be once it goes under 10k players because they'll have to lay off too many staff to balance the books to develop any further content, minor fixes & reskin updates aside.

Well it's AGS. Maybe they'll just reassign them to make a candy crush clone.

Also lol @ AGS unable to even make microtransactions that don't take down their own product. Are their hiring standards based remotely on talent or capability? Assuming not.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

From believable anecdotes, no, they were hiring anyone with "computer experience" period. A number of folks turned down jobs because they were being offered positions that at best vaguely aligned with their actual experience.

So AGS is staffed by people copying and pasting other people's code they barely understand while they pretend they know what they're doing. That explains a lot.

^ did Anthem have a swimming animation? I never played it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anita Dickinme posted:

Wish goons still played SWTOR… also the scaling wasn’t so disproportionate to a level that it bugs me from being able to play the game. :(

Yeah and I wish it was still launch year for Rift.

Maybe Gamigo can also pick up New World for pennies once they get down to under 300 active players. They're good at keeping mmos on life support until even that fails (Defiance).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
New World:
20,092 playing 29 min ago
38,794 24-hour peak

Battlefield 2042
1,954 playing 30 min ago
2,842 24-hour peak

You know if you just change the metric for success then New World is (comparatively) looking fantastic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"New World now has ten times more players than the highly successful & popular Battlefield 2042! Sign up and join the adventure today!"

There you go Amazon. You can copy & paste that, attribute it even and not even be lying. No need to pay me a thing either.

If anyone asks "ten times what exactly?" tell them to shut up and start calling them names.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's the equivalent of jingling your keys at some crying children to shut them up. You distract them with the shiny noise and hope they calm down long enough for someone else to arrive and take them off your hands.

Or in this case you want to keep their money, any amount you can grab, flowing into the cash shop. Revenue baby. Long term? Sure believe whatever we want you to think and just forget about Anthem et al that came before. That was other people and we're totally different people, honest. We're in a different building and everything.

Surely nobody with any mmo history thinks this product is some kind of foundational effort to build a long running franchise on and not the pushed out the door cash grab it clearly was? If anyone thinks this game is going to improve then I have some bad news for you - even Shroud of the Avatar has a swimming animation. Lord British peers down on New World from the baloncy on one of his six thousand dollar internet castles.

The real question is can AGS pull "fresh server shenanigans 101" in the vein of Archeage for the next several years. I'm not so sure. You see Archeage has a swimming animation. Even though it ran on cryengine 1 nobody in AGS was code savvy enough to plunder their swimming animation for re-use in NW.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anthem is doing really good. We're listening to feedback from the community. We have a ten year plan for Project Dylan.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know it's never too late to start a fresh playthrough of CP2077. Then afterwards it's a good opportunity to go outside and do social things.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I get the feeling that everyone in the industry who actually knows how to make and manage an MMO has long since left the field to go program industrial robots or something.

Because it seems like problems solved 20 years ago are all new & fresh these days.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What the gamers wanted: Tetris but with the pixels slightly polished

What the gamers received: A 200 million dollar live service corporate boondoggle filled with enough bugs for a locust plague.

Fortunately in this brave world of endless money printer go brr no friendly corporate interests ever go bankrupt so we can look forward to repeats of this well into the forseeable future.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Apparently swimming tech wasn’t part of the lumberyard fork they bought.

Shame.

They probably bought pre-made scripts for the every part of the game from database to animation to UI and have nobody on staff who can code anything from scratch.

Swimming shall forever be lostech to the AAA script kiddy developer otherwise known as Amazon Games Studios.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All the good coders were lost in the inner sphere succession wars.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cosmicjim posted:

Did you want to swim to another game world?

I'll just walk across the ocean floor to another game world.

Lumberyard is technically a descendant of ye olde cryengine. The very first cryengine game that ever released (Far Cry 1) shipped with swimming. First person swimming. An old (broken, poo poo) mmo by the name of Archeage that ran on I think cryengine 2.0 also had swimming. Plus naval combat, diving, etc.

Just to underline how manifestly incompetent AGS actually is. They simply don't have coders who can actually do what their qualifications claim they know how to do.

Oh your game engine in a box doesn't come with [minor common feature] that's okay, just add it in yourself. Oh you don't know how to actually do that? Oh. Ohhh.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 21, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

They can’t figure out swimming in star Citizen either tbf

They will once they figure out how to convince people to spend as much on space water boats as they do on space space boats.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chubby Henparty posted:

Did Star Citizen have a bug early on where spaceships flew like submarines under x because that was default sea level in the engine?

No idea. I "played" a number of the early builds before losing interest entirely but don't remember that. If it's any sort of reference point I last dabbled when planets went in and all the ground vehicles were suicidally uncontrollable during initial testing.

I'll have a look again in 2030 when it's in alpha 0.2

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Frazzini says he’s going to focus on family

That's a very polite way of saying he was shown the door and hasn't got another job lined up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

One simple trick to convert any sheet of paper into toilet paper

Don't worry it would probably be e-mailed in so you could delete free of tree waste guilt.

Ad by Khad posted:

the disastrous wildstar dev famous for "the gif" went straight to a job at blizzard after carbine so yeah probably

Probably just made Bill Cosby jokes in the interview and they waved them in immediately.

"You're a great fit for our team, welcome aboard!"