Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

This game kinda blows

Will there ever be another Dark Age of Camelot, which was too good for god's green earth

Didn't that Mark Jacobs do one of those kickstarter mmo scams and then I think released a really bad battle royale game and refused refunds or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Of all the problems this game has, it is probably the near instant respawn speed of some enemies that will make me quit.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
There are multiple medium armor pieces that have stats (weight but also armor values) comparable to light, so yours are probably the same and it is actually light armor, just mislabeled.

The respawn thing, some spots seem ok, but the higher level I get the more areas seem to have a crazy fast respawn rate where you can't even take a few seconds to check out your loot or something before something starts attacking you again. The aggro range from ranged mobs probably doesn't help either.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Yeah it also happens when I don't see anyone, but the elite areas do seem to be better. I did the Battle's Embrace gauntlet quest in that elite area in great cleave solo for example and I could clear a nice couple of them before the first respawned.

But then after that I did a quest with normal mobs, something about checking the azoth at fallen statues also in great cleave and the statue was in aggro range of 5 mobs. 2 of the mobs were ranged, meaning I couldn't get them to group up, and 1 of the melee ones had a silver border so more HP. So when I killed mob #4 the first 2 would have respawned already. In the end instead of fighting my way trough the quest area I climbed the hill behind it and jumped off (only 50% max fall damage) and managed to grab what I needed before I got hit. But running in the intended way was stressful and just not fun.

What other players definitely can do is pull a mob train and if they never hit them the mobs will just aggro other players near them.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 28, 2021

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Word on the forums and discords is that they massively broke both Ice Gauntlet and Fire Staff with the patch. Ice storm ticking damage randomly stops sometimes, freeze on heavy attack doesn't work. Fire staff is supposed to have similar problems with AoE not working right. I did some testing and found that the AoE on many abilities completely missed enemies standing in it.

Great patch.

I have had issues with the Fire Staff since launch, kinda annoying but not really bad. But "Pillar of Fire" will sometimes just fire at the players feet (so you can't place it, it just does it where you are) and "Fireball" sometimes just passes trough mobs (if possible try to aim for the feet, so you can get potential direct hit bonuses, but if it passes trough the mob you still get them with the splash).

If it somehow got worse in the patch that is hilarious. Having maxed Fire Staff I have just specced away.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Looks like world transfers got turned on for EU.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I thought at level 60 you spam global chat with "join outpost rush queue, already 16 in queue"!

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

Starting as a new player today, what are the fun exploits or bugs I should be aware of when choosing my weapons?

If you want easy mode use a hatchet and never switch away from it. Focus on the berserker side and get the perk that increases damage as enemies are near you as soon as possible and the entire Berserker skill line.

If you want hard mode I guess you use a fire staff and try to kill stuff using only abilities.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

Did they not fix that with the patch last night?

Also, fire staff isn't hard mode if you macro in the machine gun fire.

I don't think so, hatchet still seemed to ramp up at least when I played today.

Fire staff has been broken since launch, it just got worse last week. Maybe it got a little better now but I doubt it works properly. I however have not tested this myself (I got rid off fire staff right before the patch since I maxed it). Fire staff can both be easy mode or hard mode indeed, depending on how much effort you want to put into exploiting weapons to do more damage. Hatchet certainly is low effort (zero actually).

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

outpost rush made azoth infinite though

Assuming your server has a population to start outpost rush matches.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ort posted:

Going by player numbers doesn’t really make sense for the conclusions you’re making. A game only needs enough players to allow its gameplay systems to work and fund the studio making it.

This is why New World needs server merges sooner rather than later. Our server has huge issues getting outpost rush to start and to get enough people to sign up to invasions. Wars are still ok most of the time, but cutting it close. So content at 60 is very limited, sure you are guaranteed a spot for the invasions but if you lose them all the time where is the fun in that. Which results in more people leaving etc etc.

So the overall player numbers still look reasonable, but the situation on a lot of servers is pretty bad.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

ZombieCrew posted:

Any truth to a crafting experience nerf coming soon? Its already quite a slog to level most things. Everything requires a massive amount of materials to get to 200

Based on PTR data experience gained for higher tier crafting is improved, making it more worthwhile to craft the higher level stuff. But overall exp needed is also increased at a higher rate than crafts are. So yes, this ends up being a nerf to the leveling speed. Of course it is PTR so it might change.

Dumb though that they are even considering changing stuff like that now. To be fair the whole crafting situation is a big hassle because of the storage situation, so I can't be bothered anyway.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
You can cheese him. If you pull him and then, when he gets close to you, climb on top of the rock to your left he will think he can hit you. His aoe thing can still hit you / knock you back down, just climb up really fast. But his melee attacks will just phase trough you.

Bring some blight potions and if possible someone else ranged to make it go a bit faster (maybe it is not so bad after he got nerfed, but before the patch it took long).

I assume youtube has a better video to explain this then I do if you want to put the effort in.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

With so many joke patch notes posted it's hard to keep up with what's real. Players were accidentally given 300,000 gold?

That was real and caused to hours of downtime in EU and rollbacks (players lost progress), they were unable to successfully rollback the trade posts so those were still locked. Not sure if they still are.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I have no idea. But trading posts are still not working and haven't been since the coin fiasco on wednesday (which also caused the servers to go down for nearly 12 hours starting around 15:00). I think the servers came up after maintenance wednesday on 11:00, so the 4 hours in between is the player progress that is (mostly) lost, not sure what time they rolled back to exactly.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 27, 2021

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

well one of those very gamigo games just crawled out of the grave and re-launched and took a bunch of players from NW not even a month ago, so I wouldn't know how to describe that under your criteria. most of the atlas goons are playing it right now.

there was even a thread here for it

Is this Archeage? I heard the new rerererelaunch already poo poo the bed too.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Spice World War II posted:

Anthem had swimming, running and flying. It just didn't have content for more than a few weeks

If it wasn't for the loading screens that content would have been done in a week.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

They basically made it so that guilds have an underclass of people who grind out influence to buy the guild into a conflict and then the top 50 noble sons go and actually have the fun. Congratulations to Jeffy B for once again making an unintentional commentary on society.

Oh, you could always sign up for the roster even if you aren't in the guild. You could, technically, do that.

Nah the people had all the power, with the low population guilds were begging people to sign up for their wars.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

This is feedback that I've seen consistently since the 2nd week after the game's launch. The first players who said it were mocked as being overly negative and having unrealistic expectations, considering they were complaining about the grind to Level 60 after putting in 12 hours of playtime each day for over a week. But then the complaints became more numerous, and the player population started to drop at an alarming rate, and there was almost universal agreement that Level 40 is when the game becomes punishingly tedious and it's many systems begin to show how hollow they are.

Honestly it wasn't that bad if you were leveling at the right time or the correct weapon in the correct patch.

Basically if you were in the first few waves of leveling people you could find portal groups pretty easily and just run around in a zone closing portals. You'd get a bunch of chests with gear and a bunch of exp. It even motivated you to socialize a bit since you could be in that grind group for a while.

Another option, when the hatchet was bugged it would do like 10 times normal damage or something insane after you stacked it up a bunch. Using that the last few zones were pretty manageable even solo. Without the hatchet bug those last few zones were really annoying and you would run out of quests you could actually do (some areas would be impossible because of respawns), but with the bug smooth sailing. Once they fixed that bug the game felt so much worse instantly in the high level areas.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I wonder about this as well. I think its probably just a design decision hold over from when the game was a survival/crafting RPG before changing directions into an MMORPG a year before release. I would change all but one of those zones into higher level questing / story zones that you're led through. Each one is no longer levels 1 - 25, but leveling is much faster.

According to Steam achievements, only like 23 - 25% of players even made it as far as level 50. That is really bad.

Probably part of it, also just general spreading out the players at the start so there would be less of a bottleneck issue at launch. The entire server starting in 1 zone would have been awful at launch obviously. So from that point of view it is not a bad idea, but now it feels like that space could have been better used sure.

I wonder how much achievement stats are worth since apparently there are a lot of bots? Do banned ones get removed from those stats? Are the gathering bots max level?

I managed to make it to max level for what it is worth, then spend days queuing for outpost rush which I got to play twice!

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Oh man I remember Age of Conan, I also hit max level in that. There were some interesting bugs / design choices in that one too. The main one that comes to mind is that the animations for certain things were (are?) not the same between female and male characters. This resulted in female characters doing about 25~30% less dps than male characters. That took a while to fix, I hit max level on a female assassin and quit the game before they fixed it.

The comparison is spot on and the first 20 levels of AoC were fun.

Apparently Age of Conan is still operating and some people are playing it (about 100 on steam)? Seems like it pivoted and relaunched eventually as a freemium game with a lot of p2w options.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
You could also stand in a doorway and just block it. Locking people in was peak AoC gameplay.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
At least the player numbers seem to outperform the latest entries of Halo and Battlefield on PC. I bet AGS would have signed up for that in a heartbeat a year ago.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I enjoyed the dungeons, those were done pretty well. But a chore to find a group and an orb for. The upcoming patch should help with that but I think it is too late for the leveling dungeons and based on their track record a group finder is not enticing enough for me to reinstall and start that watermark grind.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

causticBeet posted:

What is the war meta like now that population is so low? Not so much the actual combat meta but like… does an average player have any better chance to get into a war?

I could imagine it going one way or another… like either no one cares about it anymore so it’s way easier to get in, or it’s much harder because the “core PvP” community on a server must be incredibly insular at this point.

By the time I stopped playing it was incredibly toxic and unless you were in the “in group” you basically had no chance - most wars were fought by the same 200 or so people, and often you would see spots getting filled outside of the faction by the “core PvP” group over other available same faction groups. There was a lot of drama due to the random chance in the war bid system, and a ton of drama over who was “allowed” to declare on popular territories like EF and WW.

So I have not played since december, so it might have changed obviously.

But at first I managed to get wars because there simply weren't that much high level players yet, so simply being max got you a spot. Then it gradually changed and you needed to jump trough all these hoops to be able to play. Join some discord server, sign up there, note your weapons and gear score and poo poo like that. If you did not do that you didn't get to participate, these were the toxic " in groups" you remember. I did not participate in any wars at this point because gently caress that, joining a voice channel is acceptable but anything more is a hassle and gently caress it.

Once population started dropping it was so much easier to get into wars again, some people would be begging for sign-ups even. So you could pick your side and usually get to play. So yeah, you could join wars your faction wasn't even a part off.

The pve invasions saw something similar. While technically group leaders could only pick 10 people and the rest would be random, after everyone got in the group leaders could still kick whoever they wanted and then invite new people. So while population was high a lot of people would sign up, get kicked anyway if they were lucky enough to get in and then the same few people would do the invasions. Eventually there simply weren't enough people interested to do it, so you could sign up and 100% get the spot. You'd lose very fast because the content was scaled for 50 people and you would have like 15 people in there if you were lucky. You'd still get some rewards for losing though.

I think both the toxic in-group war behavior and the kicking of the group from invasions sped up people leaving the game.

Currently a mix of both of these things probably exist, the 3 or 4 crowded servers probably have the in-group problem and the other servers don't have enough players to fill out the groups.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

GaylordButts posted:

AGS hired John Smedley (co-founder of the company that made Everquest and turned into SOE) back in 2017 to lead their new Amazon Games San Diego studio. To my knowledge, that team has not announced anything yet and hasn't been credited as helping on the other AGS projects either. I'd expect whatever that team is doing to be some sort of MMO-related game.

Seems to be it:

quote:

Job details
US, CA, San Diego
Our product is an unannounced game on the Unreal Engine built by a team with veterans from many popular titles like EverQuest, PlanetSide, H1Z1, and Free Realms.
Design, develop, and support gameplay systems in Unreal Engine using C++.

Other branches of AGS also seemed to be looking and working in Unreal, so they might be abandoning lumberyard indeed.

Ort posted:

I wonder if that was the studio working on a lord of the rings mmo that was cancelled?

I think the New World team was supposed to make the lord of the rings mmo.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 11, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
To be fair when LoTRO launched in 2007 it was up against the WoW expansion (TBC released that year) and I don't think it ever came close to selling as many copies as new world did in their first year. So player retention wise it might be doing better? Who knows.

I do agree that the player base of new world is not actually that unhealthy (I mean the latest entries of Halo and Battlefield could only wish they had as many players as new world ...), the real problem, when it comes to population, is them saying they will not do any more server mergers. The EU for example still has 17 servers, while it should really only be 5 or 6.

There is nothing that will stimulate user growth on the immediate horizon, so having people on dead servers will only lead to more people leaving.

I honestly am amazed at how many people are still playing this though.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Eh, you probably wouldn't be able to do the group quests or dungeons (because there just are not a lot of new people leveling), either are not invited to wars (if you somehow reach high enough level) or server won't be able to fill enough slots for proper wars. So I'd steer clear.

I guess it has been a few weeks since they last had to disable all trading and auctions, so that is quite an accomplishment they got going for them.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

Edit: Some people on Reddit have been defending the recent merges by saying that they'd rather experience a queue than a dead server if they were a returning player, but I think they're failing to understand the sheer scale of the game's lapsed playerbase. The 14 remaining servers have a maximum population of 28,000 players, and the peak player population in each region currently tops out at about 21,000 players. So if more than 1% of the game's 900,000 missing players decide to try the game again during peak hours after the update, you wind up with terminally deadlocked servers in every region. Some of the posters have suggested that AGS is now able to stand up new servers quickly as a response if this happens, but they don't seem willing to admit that standing up a brand new server with 0 population is the equivalent of introducing a dead server that is objectively worse that even the lowest population server that existed before last week's merges.

To be fair though what would drive re-engagement at this time? I don't see any reason to come back, I think most who dropped it are not following news around it at all and just moved on. Sure someone might check it out since it has been a while and maybe they fixed it, but those people don't all log in at once. Maybe a small bump on patch release, but I would expect the active user base to continue to go down. Besides that it would be easy to spin up another few servers if for some reason it did surge, which they can merge again with a couple of the remaining ones after the surge.

So I think the merges are good because there were so many empty servers, maybe they could have left 1 more server up in each region or something, but I don't expect it to be an issue. The language thing might be an issue but hard to say anything about that without actually checking the servers out.

Honestly at this point I think the only thing that will make player count go up significantly is going free to play (I bet their cash shop metrics do not support that route currently though and the player count would probably drop too a month after) or an expansion / 2.0 update with a complete economy reset and fundamental demonstrable improvements.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 26, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Yeah in the final stages that I played the server I was on was empty, basically a play session started with me queueing for Outpost Rush, the queue would have like 7 players. Then at peak the queue would have like 15 players and then the player numbers in the queue started dropping again since people were logging off. A couple of the players in the queue would spam chat to try to get people to queue up, but that didn't really help.

So you would queue for an entire play session where you are playing for hours and never actually being able to play Outpost Rush. Not to mention: no wars and while there were, invasions you could join there weren't enough people to do them with, so you would just lose. Not merging the actual empty servers (less then lets say 100 players at prime time) at the very least would have been a terrible decision for those players and would drive people who try to come back away if their character was on one of those servers. Or they would use a transfer token (if they have one) and transfer to a full server anyway.

Discospawn posted:

The big July update that is introducing the first meaningful PvE content in several months, as well as new skills & a theoretically easier leveling experience. I don't know how meaningful all this content will be in satisfying players who left back in November, but at the very least AGS is trying very hard to promote this patch as a reason to come back to the game.

Sure but they did the same with the arena patch and that fell flat on its face too. At most it kept players numbers a bit more stable for a week. I agree a small bump in the numbers could happen, but big enough for problematic queues? Highly doubt it.

Discospawn posted:

Their Free Weekend kind of showed that the cost of entry is not a barrier that is keeping people from playing the game, since that weekend saw virtually no increase in player activity beyond what the game normally sees on a weekend. With a peak player count of nearly a million users at launch, I don't think there's a significant segment of the population who both "might be interested in an MMO like New World" and "are unwilling to spend any amount of real money to get invested in a game."

Besides, with AGS' problem with bots in Lost Ark, making the game Free to Play seems like you'd wind up with something even worse than 'Dead' servers with no players; you'd get 'Undead' servers with a handful of players and 1,900 bots.

I forgot about the free weekend, that didn't do much either for the player count indeed and you are right that a large group already played around launch, so you are probably correct in that it wouldn't help much.

But based on your earlier post it seems like New World already has plenty of bots heh.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Did they actually fix the server crash when using groupfinder on PTR btw? Or did it just not occur anymore because no one was trying?

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

Edit: Also, Dry Tree is already at 1700 population when yesterday it was at 1300 at this point. They'll hit a queue very soon. I feel like I'm being vindicated in every way today.

Eh, we are nearing peak time and so far only Dry Tree has a queue and they merged 11 servers away. If it stays like this, or a small queue (15~20 min max), they made exactly the right choice when it comes to merges in my opinion. Note that they did not merge anything into Dry Tree anyway this time, so even without merges Dry Tree would have seen a queue now I guess. The last mergers moved 5 servers into Barri, 4 into Nysa and 2 into Tartarus (sticking to EU). Barri is at 1935 so probably will have a very small queue around peak time, Nysa and Tartarus at 1635 and 1520 respectively won't have a queue.

With full servers at least they have a chance someone trying it out now will stick around for a bit.

Either way the bump from this patch is a bit bigger than I expected, but based on what I am seeing I don't think a lot of people will stick around. The expedition is not there and there seem to be a lot of issues once again.

edit: The Dry Tree queue seems annoying, Abaton also has a queue now but that one seems acceptable at first glance (just checking on the site it seems to move quickly, while the Dry Tree one seems to move slower). Other servers still without queues. Sometimes they will have 1 or 2 in queue for a second while the server is not even close to full which then clears pretty much instantly, they might be throttling logins in busy areas or something?

I think Dry Tree was one of the servers everyone used their transfer token to get to and they are now paying the price.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 28, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

Reality does not support your opinion.

Dry Tree broke indeed haha, I was just checking and wondered where the queue went and then noticed 137 players, seemed it crashed and rebooted. Abaton queue is getting to annoying, Barri and Aaru have an acceptable queue at prime time. Of these 4 servers only Barri is a server affected by the latest mergers. So I am pretty sure it does? The worst queues are not impacted by the latest server merges.

Also I said "if it stays like this", which it pretty much has for the servers affected by the latest mergers so far. Barri is the only one with a queue the other 2 are around 1750 players. Busiest point of the evening should be in about 15 minutes.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 28, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

I feel like I go out of my way to give people the benefit of the doubt in this thread, but... I just can't take you seriously.

Then don't I guess. All I am saying is that the servers affected by the mergers are not the ones on fire and only Barri of those has a queue. That if they merged too much they certainly don't have enough overpopulation for 11 more servers (1 at most with a better spread would have been optimal). The dumpster fire on Dry Tree is probably people who moved their voluntarily before when all the other servers were dying and now people who try it out again maybe going there to join their friends or whatever.

Nothing merged into Dry Tree in the merges in July and also not in April for what it's worth.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 28, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

DaitoX or Ort, how long are your queues?

It's great laughing at this game but your man-on-the-ground perspectives are invaluable.

I am not actually playing this, haven't for a while. One of the reasons being that I was stuck on an empty server at the time. Compounded with all the other problems it was an easy choice to stop playing. I am mainly enjoying Discospawn posts as most are.

Discospawn posted:

Because the queue dialog doesn't display accurate information, there's not really any insight gained from being a player when it comes to queues. The Dry Tree server had a long queue, but then the server crashed and restarted, letting everybody frantically scramble to get back in before the next queue started.

The external nwdb.info is the best tool, and that's how you can see what the EU region looks like currently:

As mentioned before and just to paint a complete picture with this screenshot:
Dry Tree does seem like a clusterfuck, the highest I noticed that queue going was 370ish, then when I checked a bit later it had 0 people in the queue and 137 players because of the crash that was mentioned.
The merges consisted of 14 servers being merged down into 3, which are Barri (which has a queue but not a very large one), Nysa and Tartarus (which don't have a queue at all).

I think optimally they would have 1 more server in the EU, with a good spread there would be 0 queues then. But I think you'd still run into the problem that a lot of people seemed to have transfered to Dry Tree because it was one of the only populated servers at some point. Now with the player bump, which is bigger than I had expected, if people have transfer tokens they might try to join up with their friends on Dry Tree.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

I think something like this is impossible for most games, and MMOs in particular, but New World is especially weird for several reasons.

First, it was initially produced as a Free to Play game, and players who participated in the early Alpha & Beta were able to get the game for free even after they transitioned to the game being $40. I don't know how many people actually fit into this category, I think it's probably a small % of players, but it means that you can't assume every player actually paid $40 for the game. So even using estimates online of how many players 'own' the game doesn't really let you create a formula to estimate sales figures.

It was also up for pre-order on amazon's own website for 0 dollar for a couple months somewhere in 2018 before they removed the listing, when they announced the launch date and price they put it up for pre-order again. But they honored the pre-orders made in 2018 so those players also got it for free.
Probably not a big group, but some more people who didn't pay.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
EU prime time friday night, only Dry Tree has queues:
Dry Tree Online: 1990 / 2000 queue: 269
Considering it was not a merger target I am pretty sure that server would have had queues either way.

With the bump yesterday being higher than I expected, I figured a weekend bump on top might put it over the edge and maybe there would be more queues. But ye it seems fine. The current population on the servers the other 11 got merged into:

Barri 1939 / 2000
Tartarus 1710 / 2000
Nysa 1651 / 2250

The other 2 servers that were not impacted with the latest merger round are close to queues, but player count normally peaks between now and 45 minutes. So seems fine merger wise.

edit:
Just after posting Nysa jumps to 1683 / 2250 with a queue of 259. So following the post above it might be crashing soon?

edit 2:
1399 / 2250 with a queue of 312 now, so queue is going up, but players online is going down.

edit 3:
Back to 1648 / 2250, so it does seem to keep a big chunk of players in limbo for a bit. I guess this time it recovered.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 29, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

EU and US-East servers each have servers with long queue sizes listed on https://nwdb.info/server-status.

Ah right, the big prime time EU queue of *checks linked site* 7 people.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
A lot of the negativity is (obviously) warranted, but some narratives feel forced. Like the queues in EU (and seemingly US) never seemed like a big deal. Sure 1 or 2 server in both regions got hit pretty hard, but the others not really that bad (couple minutes during prime time) or simply none at all.

And then blaming AGS for it because of the mergers while in EU the server with the most queues (Dry Tree) wasn't even a server impacted by mergers just seems silly. All those people bought transfer tokens (or used one of the free ones if they still had one) to get on that server. That server was going to get hosed without the mergers anyway on a population bump. Especially since people returning also want to play with their friends on that server. Two of the servers that were part of the mergers in EU didn't get queues or just tiny ones for a bit.

This weekend the queues have been virtually non-existent, so it seems pretty clear that going from 20 to 6 servers in the EU was the right choice, otherwise you would have maybe 3 healthy servers and 17 death servers. I guess the narrative then would have been that the patch was wasted because of all the death spiraling servers and how they should have done mergers first.

I will add that SA east queue seems bad, especially since you have no other options there. They went from 3 to 1 server there, maybe they should have kept 1 more up in that region.

Either way it seems like there are enough dumb bugs and poo poo without trying to force some narrative like this.

Something entirely different for the people still playing: back when I was still playing (around the time they disabled trading / trade posts for the first time) the story quest line ended super abruptly once you upgraded the staff. At first I thought it was bugged and didn't give me a follow up, but it turned out that was just the end at that point. Did they smooth that out yet? Maybe add some quests or something?

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 7, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Okay that sounds all new. I think it was level 5 staff and then it just ended, it was really jarring. Tempest's Heart got added later, so if the story quest line takes you there they have at least added something for the story.

I found all the dungeons I have done to actually be pretty good, maybe when the group finder is in I'll see if I can pick the story back up to do this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Well I reinstalled to try and ran into some small bugs and annoyances.

For example the location of group members sometimes still bugs, I saw myself as 1.something KM away, 1 group member was somewhere west and the others just didn't show at all.

My weapons didn't get exp at all in an invasion, not really sure why not. Killing level 20 mobs as level 60 gives weapon exp, but those for some reason the ones in invasions do not.

My gear seems bad, it is 495 heavy str/dex gear. I have a warhammer and great axe as weapons (so the dex is pretty much useless). I have no idea how to get good gear and the whole gypsum thing is not explained in-game as far as I could tell (this was not a thing when I last played). I should probably buy gear to get started but I don't have much gold either. I have some kind of currency to craft gear from some dungeons but I have no idea what to do with that either. Maybe just go to a craft station or find an NPC vendor or something I guess.

All those low level quest markers, it seems they added even more, what is the point of them. Sure one of them seemed new and to introduce housing or something, show that one. But all of the side quests? So annoying that they keep showing them on the map. They should be gray or something at least.

edit: okay apparently there is pretty cheap gear on the trade post, so I should probably just buy something that resembles some kind of build for cheap.
edit2: just bought a spear (so I could keep using the str/dex items) and apparently it keeps some higher item level than my expertise, so it is 550.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 8, 2022