Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

gbuchold posted:

Always craft facing West on Firesdays

Was any of that poo poo ever confirmed? I know there was definitely a ton of stuff tied to day of the week, but I never believed the compass stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Would have seen a lot worse already if it was just clientside authority. It's more like the game has some grace periods and lag compensation for certain effects and is giving those too much authority.

There's plenty of hooking and offsets in another forum, but nothing has really developed in terms of direct cheating. It would have been happening on day one if not already going on in the beta.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 28, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I just left a bunch of poo poo behind every time I moved to a new location because the former changed hands or wasn't getting town board quests up or didn't have the station I needed. It's nice to find 1200 steel ingots stashed somewhere randomly a month later too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PoE is having a bunch of nice QOL stuff get entirely overshadowed by a poo poo league, so this game has about four months of my attention.

This hasn't gone full :pgi: yet. Just wait for the $500 gold skins.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://forums.newworld.com/t/restart-all-regions-october-28th-october-29th-2021/465375

Getting right along on fixing the crouch bug ... ten hours from now.

I guarantee it's being delayed that long because only now does some middle manager want stuff tested before going to production.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 29, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

One would think if this was critical damage absorption, that the critical number would be way higher than normal damage, and not reduce it to below normal damage.

Most crits are only 1.3x damage, which only needs 24% reduction to be pushed back below 1.0x.

Also: lmao, subtractive percentage modifiers are poo poo design from the start and only encourage stacking. Looking at you, FFXI Haste.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

On the flip side, amber gem focus scaling has been broken since day one, or more likely day negative something because they didn't work in beta either.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

vandalism posted:

Irrevocably broken? Nope.

Broken beyond the scope of AGS'S skills, ability, timeline, and level of effort to fix? I believe so. I hope that I am wrong, though. :)

Never heard early MWO described so well either. New World has the exact same feel of "slapped together with whatever skills (or lack) were available". Being Crytek cousins in some way or another is probably telling as well.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was regarded as such a hardass at my old job for being super strict about transactions and atomicity and data safety at every level.

This is why, and mine was just for a dumb mobile game. New World seems less and less salvageable by the hour let alone patch to patch.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cutedge posted:

New World: This is an embarrassing mistake that is squarely our fault

New thread title please. :rubby:

Thanks to whoever on the last page reminded me that Warframe is cool and good.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ad by Khad posted:

I agree with you that the average player will not stand in one place and kill the same mob for 4 days

XI players would, but are averse to any game with jumping.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I hope you're prepared for when they implement a degredation system to watermarks to keep the MAU up and it starts interacting with the time travel bug

Mobstradamus has spoken.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jelly posted:

I stopped playing this game weeks ago and this is absolutely my favorite thread to check into every day.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

So you can teleport through walls.

I rescind everything I said to defend this game's client versus server authority. It doesn't matter which is which when it's this fundamentally broken.

Safe bet the server saying 'no, you're supposed to be here' is subject to client acknowledgement like buffs were.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Nah that guy had to scale back the cat girl asses in 2.0. Yoko Taro gave it back with the 2b pants.

Still and forever envious of the miq starter miniskirt while fashioning up any other race. Beeftank amazonian femroe just can't reach the same level of zettai even with bullshit expensive market board pieces.

But at least my ears don't bleed after my third rotation.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Y'all know damned well that fashion options are the best indicator of a good MMO.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Game is sitting at 112,000+ people playing right now. That is still a significant drop from 90 days ago where it launched at 950,000+ players, but it's also not the sinking ship that people think this MMO is either. This is still in the top 5 most played Steam games.

With no monthly sub, how many are bots? Honest question.

Probably needs a bit of statistical analysis to figure out what percentage never logs out.

Hot take though: Player count does not make a game good.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sounds like some of these devs played FFXI and wanted more of that without understanding that FFXI players were loving nuts and even it got dialed back a bit later on.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

a focus on pvp focused balance changes and seasonal wipes and fresh starts.

I gotta be honest, New World even as-is would be loving sweet if there were some progression speedups and it ran wiped leagues like Path of Exile. It helps the MTX model too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Were they like ... hard enemies or something?

Y'all keep posting about grind and it barely registers to my FFXI corrupted brain. 50 kills with a 1 damage weapon to unlock dark knight, 50 more kills to upgrade that weapon into something useful for maybe five lowbie levels.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

50 more kills to upgrade that weapon into something useful for maybe five lowbie levels.

Forgot that if you don't do this part and just throw the weapon out, you'll get stuck in a 40 second cutscene and receive a new one every time you ride a certain particularly useful boat back to town.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Discospawn posted:

Path of Exile's player count is weird, because it spikes really high when they put out new content. Like, from 5,000 to 150,000 overnight:

There's a downtime between leagues too. Nobody seriously plays standard and player count should be compared to the end of the prior league. Bit of a curiosity that everybody just takes a break and it's definitely the most consistent and stable game with 'seasons'.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

lol and, might I add, lmao

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Discospawn posted:

I think AGS still has a forest-for-the-trees problem where every issue within the game is getting handed off to a different team without anybody collating the data and understanding how all those issues add up to create a game that people don't want to keep playing.

I think you have this backwards. The way problems get out of hand in this exact style is they have a massive repository of reported issues and maintaining that repository is considered some form of 'progress' even if it's more work than actually fixing any of the issues.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Dammit Paul Rudd, not again!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wait have they really isolated free players this much just so they can be easily dumpstered at the end? I know from experience that the idea of free-to-paid conversion is completely unknown to game company execs but come the gently caress on...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Silly idea: MMO with no region restrictions, every server region is a different bunch of places ingame, no barriers between languages, latency is a ludonarrative prop.

Watch ingame wars start actual wars. :science:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yup. Was an XI player myself. Regional/language restricted servers aren't a default to me. It was nice to see the server be active all hours of the day.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There were jokes about a lead dev, hell probably a producer, being a gaxe main before. This all but confirms it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I went on a tirade recently about how producers have this weird tendency to make tantrum-backed demands to have full access to codebases and whatnot and make willy-nilly repo commits with no regard for what a branch is. That's what leads to stuff slipping into updates like Cerulean Hidden Tear getting turbonerfed 'unintentionally' over in Elden Ring.

New World manages to reverse Hanlon's Razor as ever.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Guarantee the new lag is because someone decided they must ratchet down the server specs to save money to keep the game afloat until the players come back.

If I had a nickel for every time I was told to downscale servers of a struggling game I'd actually have three nickels instead of the two that this quote usually rides on.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

You'd think advertising a game at face value instead of 'horror pokemon' would help too. Devolved even further into titty gacha after I left. Bad management infects way more than just development.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

cosmicjim posted:

What game are we talking about?

Who cares. I'd rather not send them the impressions. Here's a nice reddit thread if you can stand it.

I went back for more coffee and lost part of the post about New World being advertised as full loot pvp and instead being just a resource skinner box, if that makes the post more relevant.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 30, 2022

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

downout posted:

That is part of their features! I think some of them you can pay for them to play themselves, so really squeezing those whales.

Even better is when it's designed to play badly so it wastes resources.

But really it's because they can't program a bot well enough to play their own lovely puzzle game.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/gamesasylum/status/1520334246023503872?t=ry4V2AzMEOGiYEQTQppVjA&s=19

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cargo culting the WASD+QERF layout and three-skill paradigms of better games. AGS might think Overwatch is one of those better games, but still the point stands.

Gamedev companies will claim to be 'data driven' but it basically means 'look at the top earning games on the chart and copy every little detail'.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Discospawn posted:

The first stream is supposed to be tomorrow, May 12

At least they managed to be a day ahead of a Path of Exile league launch. I do wonder if they're dumping money in to get it frontpaged.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Discospawn posted:

There's actually another PTR patch scheduled for 2:00 today, right after these streams end, with no patch notes released yet, so it'll be weird if that patch addresses some of the obvious Arena problems but they didn't push these 1st streams back a day.

Ranzear posted:

At least they managed to be a day ahead of a Path of Exile league launch. I do wonder if they're dumping money in to get it frontpaged.

Not to imply there was any foresight or intent to avoid their stream getting dunked on by a better game. It's just as likely they're in full stick to the plan mode as you inferred.

Also: Wait, what? There were two Conan games?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Only concern is redundancy with :pgi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ad by Khad posted:

one of the dirty tricks nw's cash shop uses is that you can craft dyes for armors if you have max cooking. all of the dyes? nah, just the ones that mix two different pigments together and there's only like 2 or 3 of these out of 100+ that look any good. if you want mono-pigment dyes such as "black" or "white" or "pink", you know, things people actually want to use, gently caress you pay up.

To be fair, I think FFXIV did this first. 'Actually Black', 'Actually White', and the fun metallics were all cash shop along with some primary colors that were at least a little more saturated than the free stuff.