Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Latest update: Prey - Part 10

HERE WE GO AGAIN
In this thread, supposedly bi-weekly, a roguelite game will be chosen by popular vote and I, roguelite professional Party Bug, will (probably) make as informative a playthrough of it as I can given the time allowed. Generally one video per game, but possibly more if the game is worth showing off.

WHAT IS A ROGUELITE?
Whatever I say it is! In general games that fall into the roguelite genre can (generally) be boiled down to a set of four criteria:

- Composed of procedurally generated content
- Features perma-death
- Focus on non-tile / turn based gameplay
- Is not the game Rogue

Obviously this leaves a lot of room for different genres and types of games, so it's sort of a wide umbrella. Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy are three popular examples of the roguelite genre that everyone is probably aware of. There's some contention on whether these games should be called roguelikes or not, or if some are roguelikes and some are roguelites, or other dumb minutia, but I'm calling everything in here a roguelite.

HOW IT WORKS
Once I've finished the currently game I'll be selecting 3 roguelites from the big list I've compiled. The thread will get to vote on which one is picked. Once a roguelite is selected the following will happen:

- I will make one (or more) videos going as in-depth as I can about that game.

Wow! Generally I'm going to stick to released games of at least middling quality. I might showcase bad games in some fashion, but I'd rather actually play things I don't hate.

I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE
The previous roguelite threads can be found here:
- Roguelite Thread
- Roguelite Thread: 2nd Run

That's probably over 100 roguelites, think of the value!

FINISH YOUR HADES LP
Whodes?

UPDATES
MONSTER TRAIN - Part 2
METALLIC CHILD
DREAMSCAPER - Part 2
PAWNBARIAN
FIGHTS IN TIGHT SPACES
DEFLECTOR: SPECIMEN ZERO
THE WIND AND WILTING BLOSSOM - Part 2
CURSE OF THE DEAD GODS
BLADE ASSAULT
DEFEND THE ROOK
ROGUEBOOK
DOOMED TO HELL
PREY: MOONCRASH - Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4 / Part 5 / Part 7 / Part 8 / Part 9 / Part 10
ROGUEJACK
SHOTGUN KING
EYES IN THE DARK - Part 2
BEAT INVADERS
BRUTAL ORCHESTRA
CURSED TO GOLF

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
This space for rent.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Monster Train is such a good game it made me post another LP. I'm also pretty bad at it.

Monster Train - Part 1
Monster Train - Part 2

:siren: WHAT'S NEXT? :siren:
Let's vote!

METALLIC CHILD
“Grab, hurl, and eliminate” Rogue-lite Core-Action!! A large-scale rebellion erupts within the spacecraft “Life Stream.” With the help of you, Rona, an android known as “Metallic Child,” stands up against a fleet of massive robots to stop the plot devised by her own creator, Doctor Irene.

RISING HELL
Rising Hell is a vertical platformer rogue-lite filled with adrenaline-pumping action and tons of heavy gothic metal shreds. Climb out from the ever-changing hell while you fight hordes of blood-lusting demons.

CRITADEL
Critadel is a futuristic platform/shooter/roguelike with three playable characters, hundreds of branching paths and over 100,000 unique weapon configurations!

Voting closes on Friday at midnight MST.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Metallic Child ended up being a pretty simple game. I can't say I recommend it, it mostly just makes me wish there was a proper character action roguelite out there somewhere.

:siren: WHAT NEXT? :siren:
Here's some video games!

ROGUE LORDS
A dark fantasy roguelike where you play as the Devil! Lead famous evil geniuses through events and turn-based fights to spread terror and corruption. Create synergies between your disciples, use your evil powers and take revenge on those miserable Demon Hunters.

GUNNHILDER
Gunnhildr is a narrative shooter set in a Norse-inspired sci-fi world. Defy the gods and give Niflheim new life through fast paced first person combat in an ever-changing world full of powers and stories to uncover.

DREAMSCAPER
By night, delve deep into your subconscious and discover powerful artifacts to conquer your nightmares. By day, explore the city of Redhaven and build relationships to unlock the power of your dreams. DREAM. DIE. WAKE. REPEAT.

Voting ends Friday, midnight MST!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Dreamscaper is pretty good. I forgot to mention in the video, but it's also been patched several times since I originally played it. There's some new items and it's less grindy, which makes me recommend it even more.

:siren: What's next!? :siren:

PAWNBARIAN
Use your wits and a deck of chess pieces to conquer dungeons full of cunning monsters in this quick-playing puzzle roguelike!

INTO THE PIT
Sometimes life gonna get you down, hit the ground runnin', take a look around, you think you found love, but you're standin' in the pit

RUIN RAIDERS
Ruin Raiders is a turn-based tactical roguelike where you command customizable squads on a one-way journey into the ruins of an ancient civilization. Master turn-based combat, craft new technologies, and dive into ever-changing ruins to unveil the past!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Some post-Thanksgiving Dreamscaper for you all.

The next game will be Pawnbarian. It'll probably be a real short video, if I can ever beat the second dungeon.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

I got all the best chess moves here, I got the nimzo indian, the sicilian, the gueens gambit, mexican halloween, I got all of them, right here.

:siren: NEXT GAME! :siren:

FIGHTS IN TIGHT SPACES
A stylish blend of deck-building, turn-based tactics, and thrilling animated fight sequences in classic action-movie settings. Learn to balance your hand, momentum, and positioning to overcome the odds to defeat your adversaries. Build your deck, control the space and live to fight another day.

ZIGGURAT 2
Ziggurat is back, and now it's even better! Use powerful weapons and spells to break through hordes of enemies and explore labyrinthine dungeons in this hectic roguelite FPS, while you improve your skills and discover new equipment.

SWORD THE NECROMANCER
Help Tama to save Koko using the powers of the forbidden Sword of the Necromancer. Turn your foes into allies and reach the depths of the Necromancer's dungeon. Defeat the guardians to gain enough soul power to bring Koko back from the dead, no matter the cost.

Poll closes on Friday at midnight, MST.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The best fights in the tightest spaces. I got a really good deck in draft mode on this run, very agressive. At some point I may see if I can actually beat the game with it.

:siren: WHAT NEXT :siren:

Here are some video games:

DEFLECTOR: SPECIMEN ZERO
Deflector: Specimen Zero is a high-octane bullet hell roguelite set in a deadly world. Upgrade your character with the DNA you find, evolve him further during your runs and explore the farthest reaches of this microcosm… or die trying.

BLACK FUTURE 88
Black Future ’88 is a Synth-Punk roguelike 2D action Shooter. Vertically climb an always evolving procedural tower to reach the top and kill its insane owner…before your heart explodes. Shoot, slash, dash and upgrade yourself to survive the endless waves of Homicidal AI, Traps & Colossal Wardens.

PIRATES OUTLAWS
Pirates Outlaws is a roguelike card game in which you navigate dangerous seas and challenge their masters. Your expedition will be full of ambushes and will not be easy. Build your deck and combos to become a reputed pirate.

Voting ends Friday at midnight MST!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

So, uh, it turns out Deflector: Specimen Zero is more of a demo than an actual game. The real game is slated to come out later, so I messed up. Oops.

:siren: ANYWAY, NEW GAME! :siren:

THE WIND AND THE WILTING BLOSSOM
Navigate the war-torn lands of an alternate history Heian Japan battling yokai hordes in challenging turn-based combat. Encounter hundreds of story events, level-up your party, and unlock new allies and weapons. Die, learn from your mistakes, and try again.

DANDY ACE
Dandy Ace is an over the top action game that follows this fabulous magician seeking to combine and use his magical cards, fighting and looting his way to defeat the Green-Eyed Illusionist and free himself from a cursed mirror.

GOING UNDER
Going Under is a satirical dungeon crawler about exploring the cursed ruins of failed tech startups. As an unpaid intern in the dystopian city of Neo-Cascadia, you’ll wield office junk as weaponry as you make your way through the offbeat procedural dungeons beneath your company campus.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Victor by coin flip and another two-parter.

I don't think I mentioned it in the video, but I really do like the style and mood of this game. I just wish I was actually good at it.

:siren: NEXT GAME VOTE :siren:

GONE VIRAL
Gone Viral is an over-the-top action game with heavy roguelite elements where you fight for your life in a prison arena to entertain a blood-thirsty audience. Rack up your kill count, grab mutations and crazy weapons to change gameplay and get what you need to escape and Go Viral.

DANGER SCAVENGER
Danger Scavenger is fast-paced action, cyberpunk-themed, roguelite skyline crawler. Blow up, cut, shoot enemy robots on the roofs of skyscrapers. Choose your way to higher levels, loot, buy stuff, upgrade yourself, fight against greedy corporations, be a rebel!

CURSE OF THE DEAD GODS
You seek untold riches, eternal life, divine powers - it leads to this accursed temple, a seemingly-infinite labyrinth of bottomless pits, deadly traps, and monsters.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Part 2! Tactical blunders abounds.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

This game is pretty good. Also, I finally did beat the 'final' expedition and found out I was only halfway through the game. Wow!

:siren: WHAT'S NEXT!? :siren:

OPERATION STEEL
Operation STEEL is a roguelike shoot-em-up rendered in beautiful hand-drawn art. Blow up loads of enemies, destroy huge bosses, find weapons, and upgrade your load-out between levels. Combat the electronic legion across 20+ procedurally generated levels!

CRASH THE CORE
A sci-fantasy roguelike deckbuilder with RPG elements such as building your own starting deck, equipping gadgets, summoning allies, and salvaging cards for different effects. Discover strange events, go fishing and gather Intel to uncover a conspiracy to take over the galaxy!

BLADE ASSAULT
Blade Assault is a 2D action rogue-lite platformer with beautiful pixel art set in a desolate sci-fi world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
All top-down action roguelites are made retroactively less fun by Hades existence, unfortunately. Just like all twin-sticks suffer from Enter the Gungeon having already being invented.

That Italian Guy posted:

Can we suggest games? If so, have you tried Trials of Fire? The design seems quite similar to Wind and the Wilting Blossom, although the theme is completely different of course. Haven't played it in a while and it has had a ton of free updates since then.

Haven't seen it before, so I'll throw it on the list!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The closest Sonic Hedgehog roguelite we're going to get.

:siren: NEXT GAME! :siren:

DEFEND THE ROOK
A roguelike tactics board combat combined with tower defense elements. Defeat the invading hordes to stay alive and save the land! Enjoy more tactics than a normal TD game, combined with the added challenge of building towers and fighting off waves of enemies!

DESCENDERS
Descenders is extreme downhill freeriding for the modern era, with procedurally generated worlds, and where mistakes have real consequences. Will you lead your team to glory and become the next legendary Descender?

ZENGEON
Zengeon is an anime infused Action RPG and Roguelite with a selection of unique characters and varying play-styles. Slaughter your way through demonic hordes and colossal bosses with hundreds of combination and skill possibilities!

Voting ends Friday at midnight MST!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The roguelites are returning. Nature is beginning to heal.

:siren: MORE VIDEO GAMES :siren:

GONE VIRAL
Gone Viral is an over-the-top action game with heavy roguelite elements where you fight for your life in a prison arena to entertain a blood-thirsty audience. Rack up your kill count, grab mutations and crazy weapons to change gameplay and get what you need to escape and Go Viral.

ROGUEBOOK
Embrace the challenge of a roguelike deckbuilder with unique mechanics from the developers of Faeria and Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering™. Build a team of two heroes, unleash powerful combos and defeat the legends of the Roguebook!

VIVID KNIGHT
Vivid Knight is a roguelike adventure game in which you save your friends from being turned into jewels and combine their abilities to form the ultimate party! Explore an ever-changing dungeon and harness the jewels you collect to defeat the Black Witch!

As usual, votes close at Friday, midnight MST. This time I should actually be able to update on schedule!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Richard Garfield made this game. Gonna post my favorite Magic cards in his honor.

:siren: GAMES! :siren:

DOOMED TO HELL
Doomed to Hell is a roguelike-like top-down shooter where you play as Rose, a human in hell who will need to fight all of its monsters in waves of enemies, defeat bosses, and get new weapons to earn back his life on earth.

MOONFALL
Almost extinct and slowly dying, mankind's only hope is to reach the Valley where the broken fragments of the Moon once fell. Manage your squad of travellers through dangerous wastelands in this turn-based Tactical Roguelite.

MIST HUNTER
Mist Hunter - is a blistering fast rogue-like arena shooter. A deadly magic poison runs through your veins, there is no cure and your heart will stop beating in 90 seconds. Fight your enemies, get the highest score and collect antidote to keep going.

As usual, voting closes on Friday at midnight MST.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Turns out hell is a kind of boring place, who knew!

:siren: Democracy is over :siren:

As explained in the video, we're going to be doing something a little different for the next few weeks. Instead of the usual one-offs, I'm going to be doing a short(?) playthough of Prey: Mooncrash. It's a roguelite, honest.

Once I finish that up we'll go back to the usual voting system, but until then I'm taking a break from these smaller games.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

dotchan posted:

I have some games I'd like to recommend, would it be alright to do that in this thread?

That would be very alright. I have a big list, I'll add them to it.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

It's Prey! Prey is a good game. Mooncrash seems to be as well.

I know the general structure and goals of the game, but I'm going into Mooncrash mostly blind otherwise, so expect less of an informative playthrough until probably the final runs.

Game Maker's Toolkit did a video on Deathloop/Prey a little while back that inspired this diversion here. It's a nice little comparison between the two and a decent intro to what to expect from Mooncrash.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Wave your hands in the air if you feel fine.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

TOP MOON ESCAPER COMING THROUGH.

I'm thinking after one more of these Prey updates I'll throw in a random roguelite to keep pretending this is a roguelite thread. Which one? Who knows!?

NGDBSS posted:

This is the second Prey: Mooncrash I've seen where someone just casually glances over the chlorine trifluoride email and looks away unknowingly. I don't know whether to :magical: or :ohno: at that.

Oh no.

ultrafilter posted:

Just finished Sword of the Necromancer and I really liked it. If Party Bug doesn't get around to showing it off I'll post a more detailed review but I'm definitely putting it on my hidden gems list.

If you want to post your thoughts that'd be cool. I've actually played a bit of it and found it good but a little janky. This was a long time ago now, if I revisit it I might feel differently.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Part one of the critically acclaimed Mass Driver saga.

Also next week I've got two neat little roguelites to show off, so we'll take a small break from Prey then. For some reason I thought I'd get through Mooncrash much faster than I'm actually getting through it.

malkav11 posted:

Just to point out a couple things:
You had neuromods just laying around in your inventory at the end there but died without using them. I know you weren't that excited about the couple of cheap abilities you passed over at the start of that character's time in the sun, but since they're permanent unlocks (whereas the neuromod items don't carry over) and you knew you weren't continuing with the run you really might as well have bought one of them.

One day I will remember to use both the chipsets and neuromods that I buy. That day may not come for a while.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The memorial day double feature.

One of these games is pretty good, I bet you can guess which one.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Back to the moon again.

The good news is I've run through the backlog, now I actually have to learn and improve.

Just kidding I'm still not going to equip a chipset.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

An entire month went by where I just forgot I was doing an LP. But we're back! With a new escape too no less, wow!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Reminder that we play roguelites around here sometimes.

This one is okay.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The second part! It's kind of like the first one.

Considering Prey is taking so long I've decided I'm going to start alternating between regular roguelites and Mooncrash updates. So :siren: voting is back. :siren:
Pick a game, if you dare:

LOOPMANCER
Loopmancer is a 3D platformer roguelite action game with realistic graphics that takes place in a cyberpunk universe. Players play as a detective who comes back to life after an unexpected death, and battle in this lifelike and futuristic city of the east.

DEAD ESTATE
Cornered with nowhere else to turn, can you escape the monster-filled mansion? Dead Estate is a gory, fast-paced, challenging roguelike shooter, with a heavy emphasis on horror influences.

BEAT INVADERS
Beat Invaders is an unique space action roguelite! Blast your way through enemy fleets, unlock skills, items, ships, and upgrade them! Blast away to a pushing soundtrack and neon visuals!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Where has Brian gone?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

These dudes are invading space!!!

:siren: NEXT GAME STATION :siren:

COLT CANYON
Shoot your way through a hostile canyon full of hidden treasures, weapons, obstacles and all kinds of bloodthirsty scum! Colt Canyon is a stylish pixel art shooter with roguelike elements and real-time combat where you save your kidnapped partner from the ruthless bandits.

QUANTUM PROTOCOL
A deckbuilding card game where it's always your turn. Play as the master hackers of Quantum and take on the most dangerous malware in the world. Every action matters. Make plays, upgrade your deck, and break the enemy board!

BRUTAL ORCHESTRA
Brutal Orchestra is a Turn-Based Roguelike Strategy Game. You died, someone killed you. You are now in Purgatory and you will never escape. Make a deal with the "demon" Bosch and set off into this bastardous world finding ​all manner of demented friends and foes on your quest to get petty revenge.

Voting to close by next Prey update. Which should be next Monday. Maybe.

Brain In A Jar posted:

Another recommendation in the Rogue Legacy 2d slasher vein is Skul: The Hero Slayer. Play as a tiny skeleton swapping skulls out for different builds and effects – I’m not very good at it, but I’ll hop in for a run every now and again because it feels great to play.

I gave this one a shot a while back and never got too far. I think I was just bad at it, but I'd be down to try again. I'm thinking I'll make an all action platformer voting list next time, since I've also wanted to try out Have A Nice Death.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

I always wonder if birds are so good how come there's no birds 2???

It's been literally months since I played Prey but next recording session I'm going to try those hot tips everyone's been dropping. Moonshark doesn't stand a chance.

In other news, our next game is...

:siren: Brutal Orchestra! :siren:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Not a bad game, even if it only took two days to beat. Still got a lot of items and party members to unlock though.

In other news, Cult of the Lamb is real good and probably will never get covered in this series because I'm sure everyone already knows just how real good it is. But it's real good.

PLATEUP!
I make a meal for my friends try to make it delicious,
Try to keep it nutritious, create wonderful dishes,
Not one of them thinks about the way I feel,
Nobody complements the meal.

CURSED TO GOLF
Cursed to Golf is a challenging golf-like adventure where every shot counts. Players are tasked with making it out of Golf Purgatory to become a Golfing Legend. With insane hazards, otherworldly power-ups and tons of replayability, will you make it back alive or will you forever be… Cursed to Golf!?

ANCIENT GODS
Ancient Gods is a fusion of hero collector and deck-building rogue-lite where you collect your character, fight, and experience exciting events. Any character can use all the cards, combine them with the character's passive for ultimate power on your exploration.

Cast ye votes. Voting closes Monday.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Finally getting stuff done. Kind of.

Also I tried to kill the Moonshark with the Q-Beam and got blasted. I'm gonna get him one day...

Lastly, it looks like the next roguelite will be...CURSED TO GOLF!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

This game is incredibly long so I'll probably just leave it as a one-off. It's not bad, but I've never been a fan of golf games.

SCOURGEBRINGER
ScourgeBringer is a fast-paced free-moving roguelite platformer. Help Kyhra to explore the unknown and slash her way through ancient machines guarding the seal of her past, and maybe the redemption of humanity.

FORWARD: ESCAPE THE FOLD
FORWARD: Escape the Fold was created to be the perfect bitesized roguelike dungeon crawler. Choose your champion and face a relentless crawl through the card-based dungeons, collect items to power your abilities and defeat the gruesome monsters facing you. But keep going FORWARD!

PIRATES OUTLAWS
Pirates Outlaws is a roguelike card game in which you navigate dangerous seas and challenge their masters. Your expedition will be full of ambushes and will not be easy. Build your deck and combos to become a reputed pirate.

Voting closes next Monday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

This one is for all the haters who tried to keep me down, who said I could never do it, that the mass driver was too powerful for me. Apologize to me. APOLOGIZE

The next game is Scourgebringer, which will probably be delayed a bit.