Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

UP AND ADAM posted:

I've gotten some real uncanny valley feelings from how slavishly they seem to stick to some of the details from the cartoon, but look silly in real life.

I'm getting Dick Tracey, the movie vibes but the medium this is sourced on isn't dumb as gently caress so maybe they'll pull off the style choices they seem to be making. Can't possibly be worse than the live action "Bleach" movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I like it. Its a little off/weird though, like if Cowboy Bebop had been a '70s cartoon and Quentin Tarantino made the live action series with a high fever and a lingering LSD hangover.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean don't most Netflix series only get 3 seasons? So presumably they have that in mind already.

Ahh Santa Clarita Diet, you just kept getting more chaotic and I really wanted to see what mr ball legs was gonna do inside of Joel.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Hace posted:

is it very surprising that reviewers who are fine with every mediocre netflix show end up liking another mediocre netflix show

Yeah it's weird how opinions are like that

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

sticklefifer posted:

A few episodes in and I figured out why I'm enjoying this, and why I can separate it from the original: They cover the same ground (sometimes to a fault), but the tone is different. This replaces the anime's cool noir style (which I don't think you can replicate) with weird campy energy. I get how that could put people off, but if you like that sort of thing, this hits the right notes.

Earlier in the thread I compared it to The Witcher, which I think is a more appropriate comparison the more I watch of this. Witcher took grimdark edgy source material and leaned hard into goofy, almost Evil Dead-style camp. Cowboy Bebop kind of does the same thing, except where Witcher's camp comes from stuff like Xena, Bebop feels like the camp you get from 70s exploitation flicks. I dig it.

If you don't think you can accurately pull off anime in film, watch Prisoners of the Ghostland. If you can look past Nic Cage hamming it up as only he can, the cinematography is pure anime.

I agree, I think that's why I compared it to something a hosed up Tarantino would make. Looking forward to the true blood-esque version of live action Hellsing; not even joking.