Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Game... good

This is like MW with the suck removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

spawns are always rear end the first few weeks, story old as cod

combat pacing owns extremely

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

there's an ace video on it (and probably some reddit threads bitching about it), but bloom is in the game to a significant degree - ie, your first shot may not be 100% accurate at range, depending on the gun

the "accuracy" stat counteracts this, so you can tighten the error angle with attachments

the subs other than the Owen and Type 100 and some of the ARs (lol as44) have it to a noticable level at a distance

I leave determining the correct amount of accuracy needed on a per gun basis as an exercise for the reader and youtubers, but just something to be aware of once you have your guns leveled and the attachments available

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the entire point of the MVP system is laughing at a) the lobby going ham on each other circa 2011 XBL and b) the top fragging Gamer getting extremely angry when you vote honorable mention the MVP instead

the lobby chat and death mics are the best they've been in ages and it's magical :allears:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

when they clean up the spawns this is gonna be shiny

as is I'm having fun even when literally spawning into bullets or enemies spawning into my sights (generally only blitz or assault on tiny maps), but once they're polished elsewhere, a lot of map mode combos are going to be great

I do hope they add a gunship style streak, I had a lot of fun in cold war dropping 120mm shells on angry pubbies for several months

the streaks in general need some tuning, some are just total rear end, others over perform, and a few are janky - but I specifically want a high tier controllable streak to rain hellfire

I am measurably, objectively performing worse than I was in MW or CW (camo challenges :v:), but I'm not finding it frustrating in the way MW was with the endless corner shitters, or tiresome like CW was due to the lack of maps - if I stop staring at the sky hunting UAVs for a few minutes, I can go on a tear and it feels good

with launch weekend in the bag, opinion remains the same, game good (and wildly better than I was expecting, WW2 cod does not excite me, but this is more like action movie heroine WW2) - I expect we'll get spawn tuning in the next week or two - fingers crossed for big daddy streaks in season 1

lobby chatter and death mics remain a wondrous blessing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

aim two arbitrary units ahead if the uav is still moving fast, one arbitrary unit ahead if the uav has slowed down (they do a turn and noticeably slow after entry)

it's easier to take them down perpendicular to the flight path right as they slow down, but you can hit them in the fast phase as well

distance based on maps means some are just way more annoying to hit than others

why yes I'm about to gold the bazooka why do you ask :shepface:

(the panzerfaust apparently can't one shot planes but still has the 3x streak kill requirement so loving lol@that)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

i got killed a bunch of times on demyansk by this same dude who spent the entire match crouching inside an outhouse by the a capture point. i kept forgetting he was there after fighting my way across the map and i was actually impressed at how dedicated he was to staying in that shithouse.

role-playing a cod gamer in cod is extremely meta

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fallom posted:

There's a guy in chats at work who absolutely will not shut the gently caress up about how much of a travesty it is that the guns are not authentic issued weaponry

Last I checked he was going off on how heavy a gun with dual drum magazines, a scope, and a bipod would be

It's completely lost on him that CoD games are Pacman with camo

I didn't realize this was alt-history action hero WW2 until I dug a bit, I think they kept that aspect of it quiet specifically for that reason - gamers don't give a poo poo, but the leaf blower mafia might get their sandalled socks in a twist

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CROUCH ONLY 24/7 TACTICAL PLAY OR BAN 12/12 players

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

speaking of, reduce screen shake to 50% in the menus

there's actually a lot of really good settings buried in there, worth exploring

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Vital bullshit is present on the Type 100 as well for a spicy 88ms ttk or some nonsense like that

Doesn't touch the 'literally kill in one pellet with the combat shotgun' though :v:

Once they fix that it should remove the worst of the 'what the gently caress I'm just dead' idiocy - the STG is bad not because it's wildly overpowered compared to everything else, but because it's omnipresent and it has a broken setup

I've found just about every gun I've used so far has had some configuration that makes it worth using

I'd guess we'll get a worst of the worst gun fixes patch soon and more tuning for less obnoxious but still broken stuff later

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fast Deploy on your gun (~doubles equipment usage speed)

Ammo Crate

S-Mine

Dynamite

Plant S-Mine, drop Dynamite - tada, you've created an omnidirectional proximity explosive!

With the ammo crate you can do this twice, and the ammo crate itself is highly explosive, amplifying the effect if you plant it near one of your booby traps

This makes people very, very angry, and makes holding dom/hardpoints substantially easier - in tactical anyway, lol@wasting your time throwing equipment in blitz whatever (though you can still use it to secure a camping hidey hole if you want to chill in a window somewhere with an lmg or sniper, not that I would encourage such non-stg, non-mp40 pro-approved dastardly tactics)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jimbot posted:

So as someone who hasn't played CoD Since BLOP4, how does this compare to the last couple? The only thing I really know about the multiplayer is that you can select different options to find games with increased player counts and having a large amount of silly chaos sounds pretty fun to me.

It's MW with the M upside down

Blitz is essentially 24/7 rust/shipment/shoothouse/das house on just about every map, so lots of NEURON ACTIVATION, if that's your jam

Assault varies, it's generally pretty spammy, but less than Tactical, which is mostly 'classic cod' (some exceptions, it's more than 6v6 on bigger maps, which frankly feels fine)

Because of the game flow, weapon balance, perk choices, map design, and audio people move far more than they did in MW

Between the servers and the guns (some broken), the ttk is significantly faster than CW (or miles faster than BO4)

However, it extremely feels like MW2 in that 'everything is broken so nothing is broken' kind of way. Shotgun that kills in one pellet within like 7m? Sure why not. 2 shot kill full auto guns due to stupid attachment interactions that will probably get patched soon? Yep. SMGs that let you ADS strafe at 14m/s around the map? Why not.

There's a lot of janky busted poo poo (challenges, menus, random party issues, the usual launch bullshit), but nothing truly bad, and overall the game feels miles more complete than CW did at launch.

Also, 16 MP maps + the varied combat pacing makes the game feel orders of magnitude larger than CW (and frankly, bigger than MW as well because I found so many of the maps in that game intolerable, ignoring the intolerable gameplay)

If you're bored of cod, there's nothing new here, and if you're a jetpack-refugee there's extremely nothing here for you being WW2 MW2, but if you just want to shoot dudes, it's quite good (and has glorious, wondrous cross platform rage mics and lobby screaming from 2009)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They have a public Trello but I don't think it's nearly complete in terms of what they're tracking - they do update it though

https://trello.com/b/vROy19qt/vanguard

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/Zexafy/status/1458896572092235784

e: bonus:

lmao posted:

Pathetic playstyle, in my day it was embarrassing when you played with shotgun. Today's gen does not enjoy the style of play but just hunt the feeling of succes that is why the CoD manipulative matchm. is so successful and people don't notice they are psychologically ripped off

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We played like 5 games last night with or against Sledgehammer devs :psyduck:

(we only yelled at one to fix the Mortar Barrage, we were being polite)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

make sure you aren't playing one of Daniels alternate skins, he causes crashes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

cod is mostly a hitscan game, it's kinda both

if the bullet will hit in one frame (ie, they're close enough for the velocity relative to distance), it's hitscan

if they're farther than that, the bullet will travel at whatever speed + drop at a distance before impacting

in practical terms this matters a lot more in Warzone than it does in typical mp maps, but you can probably feel it with subs on larger levels in some cases

I don't think anyone has done testing on velocity/drop/tracking on normal mp maps, I'm too lazy to even bother with private match testing and I can't say I've noticed it to any significant degree - recoil/bloom I've definitely felt at range

in other news, High Alert and Piercing Vision are out of control. Coldblooded counters the first, Dauntless the second, but both perks a) aren't ghost and b) suck rear end. Coldblooded's 'detection reduction' doesn't actually do anything, and Dauntless is just a trash perk.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's incredible to me they looked at the already existing flaming lethals and a said 'yes, let's double down on that'

Incendiary is the most hilariously broken poo poo on smaller maps, and pretty obnoxious in any point defense mode like Dom or HP

I did have the satisfaction of lagging out poor last gen console players on shipment by spamming double incendiary + smoke while working on that stupid xmas event, but I don't like shipment at all compared to nuketown (or even shoothouse, ick).

After playing for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that I'm having more fun in Cold War because my primary gripe with that game (the staggeringly bad lack of maps) was fixed while I was away for the year. There's like 17 new maps, even if half of them are remakes, they're at least mostly good remakes. It's unfortunate that each CoD is now in its best state just as the next one comes out, due to the way free seasons have worked since BO4.

Gunships >>>>>>>> dogs/other lovely killstreaks in this game, and loving lmao@stuff like mortar vs strafing run

(really what I want is another jetpack cod, but given that I don't like Warzone, that's their bread and butter, and MW2 is next year, the odds of that happening with BO5 or ever are probably 0 - instead I'll just pray MW2 doesn't double down on all the poo poo I hated in MW)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I decided to start on CoD Infinite Warfare tonight, the single player. People arent joking when they say this is like a FPS action shooter of the Expanse.

a lot of cod campaigns are better than they have any right to be

kinda short one and done things, but frankly nothing wrong with that

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the best time to play cod since they went seasonal is one year later

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd love to see a lot of the content noise in CoD simmer down in future. In MW Remastered, basically each weapon in its class has a unique feel and because there aren't a thousand bloody guns, they're each memorable and useful in different maps, scenarios and game modes. I still have the same experience with each weapon now as I did 15 years ago.

I wouldn't want to see them strip back to the absolute basics, but Vanguard and of course by extension Warzone are just a kaleidoscope of too many options. Nothing feels unique or memorable, there's a best gun and attachment combination that most people use until the inevitable nerf and until the next "meta" loadout emerges. Each gun should be viable throughout the game's lifecycle. There are so many weapons that I haven't tried most of them, and because there are some that are outclassed in every conceivable way by so many others, there is literally no point in them being there.

There must be dozens of guns in Warzone that almost literally no one uses them. I'd love to see gun usage stats for any given day in the Warzone player base.

IW did a good job at this, as did BO3, though for different reasons. AW sort of did, but it was unfortunately tied to childhood gambling addict crates.

What I'm saying is bring back jetpacks, it's obviously better for the guns as well.

there actually is a pretty substantial mechanical issue with differentiating weapons in a service model game with multiple modes using the same weapons, they're far less likely to get weirdly experimental, and after the sixth "ar with slightly different fire rate" it gets increasingly difficult to make a new one exciting and unique

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I completely agree with you with the minor caveat that the matchmaking in mw19 killed my cod group stone cold dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ModernWarzone/status/1556395347970244608?t=KnzSrAN8DHjt4XP5YEorIA&s=19