Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
it's rly funny how windows 11 still has the win7 media player because they forgot to add support for .midi files within their UWP app

legitimately unsure if it's some kind of technical limitation preventing them from implementing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sweevo posted:

tiff is what happens when you let a committee of graphic designers create a file format.

gently caress tiffs

adobe rear end format

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

akadajet posted:

I wish I had that old computer now, but I was so annoyed when I couldn't run 32-bit software.

did you run windows 3.1?

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Branch Nvidian posted:

my family's first pc had windows me on it. explains my tolerance for a lot of lovely computer stuff, really

also ME was decent if you had up-to-date drivers. a lot of ppl installed it on their 200 mhz pentiums which would slow them down to a crawl, mainly due to the unprecedented amount of active desktop html bloat

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sweevo posted:

ME feels like it was the first real era of OEM bundled shitware. yeah 95/98 would get a few ISP free trials pre-installed, maybe a time-limited demo of some piece of crap MS Works knockoff. But ME was when it started being filled with auto-starting crap like printer ink monitors and scanner/fax wizards and browser toolbars and anti-virus nagware...

i remember the biggest feature of ME was introducing a really underbaked version of movie maker in order compete with iMovie even though no one asked for that

this screen was also ubiquitous

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
also prior to XP you couldn't set a JPEG as your wallpaper without turning on active desktop which was incredibly dumb

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

mystes posted:

My favorite memory of active desktop was that at my high school they had it disabled via the policy editor so I changed that and enabled it, and then this teacher came over and was like "I thought we have active desktop disabled how did you do that?" and I thought "oh poo poo"

did you put neopets.com as your wallpaper

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

akadajet posted:

trying to do the Chromebook thing with windows s is so stupid

these things make me miss those asus eee pcs more than anything

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
windows vista good

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
a secure os with barely any ads built in and a consistent ui? sign me up

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I love seeing clickbait videos that are like "Windows 12. Finally Good?" and the purported new features are almost exclusively AI poo poo

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Chris Knight posted:

just utterly demented behaviour

we need active desktop back

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

didn't know steve ballmer got a chin implant

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

infernal machines posted:

my point was that windows 2000 didn't require activation at all, which was better

i found an xp inexperience patcher on deviantart that executes a bunch of registry hacks to bring back the old 2000 icons and explorer.

https://www.deviantart.com/vertigosity/art/Inexperience-Patcher-0-7-2-27939557

it's possible to install this alongside the unofficial embedded posready 2009 updates and activation registry hacks to make a faux win2000 system, with the comparatively modern xp security features intact

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Branch Nvidian posted:

i remember doing some ridiculous spare time project in photoshop on my xp machine with 512mb of ram where i was doing some kind of transform on a bunch of extremely large images from nasa (project was creating a realistic planet) and it took the computer like 2 hours to do it. meanwhile any of my current computers would chew through that workflow in seconds

512 mb was usable if you had a pentium 3 above 1.2 mhz. a lot of early pentium 4 machines had worse benchmarks than late-era p3 machines because of netburst and the infamous overheating

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Beeftweeter posted:

e: lol

i posted a screenshot of this theme ("chartreuse mongoose") like 15 years ago here

winxp intended to have two different default visual styles for home and professional (watercolor for pro and mallard/mongoose for home.) i think they were getting hold of the trend set by apple of skeuomorphic gui design and decided to scrap them for a unified 3d look instead

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
also i find it fascinating that microsoft used the Real Windows Near The Windows(tm) Flag for only a year before completely switching to a different flag design

apologies for my logo autism

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

i have an official autism diagnosis i can post it here if you want

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Pinterest Mom posted:

what do you mean by flag used only for one year. isn't that ME/2000 flag the same as the one used in Windowses 95 and 98?

oh i mean the colored squares appearing beneath the flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the windows prototype expert got probated for 3 days this is so sad