Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

qirex posted:

no this will, if a meeting in a series is canceled, pop up a reminder for last week's occurrence at the time this week's would have happened

pretty sure this happened to me on Windows this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

can we stop having this nostalgia take every 3 posts. thanks

win10 chrome is basically win2k so it's officially not nostalgia

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

you can sign in to just the app store if you really want as well

although I have to give MS props for letting you get free stuff from the windows store without having to have an account at all (until now, probably)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

what's an inbox app?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

they're really forcing their loving weather thing everywhere. on by default in the Outlook calendar, in the taskbar, on the default Edge tabs. yeesh

the weather always defaults to loving Redmond even though it knows where I am

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

it's still there but it lives in the systray so it looks like a TSR rather than a spyware searchbar

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

why does my computer keep making random sniffing noises

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

as-zoo-uh

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

missed opportunity to cross promote PowerBI

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm glad that i can use microsoft teams and microsoft outlook from tabs in the chrome browser that is installed on my computer's linux-based operating system

sure, except that they don't let you join meetings in firefox or use a mobile browser at all

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

powershell should just have been the immediate window from visual studio

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

is there like an arch wiki equivalent for windows these days?

some guys made a crazy distro of win10 that has no metro apps, store or updater

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mystes posted:

How are you going to watch divx files on your plasma tv if you don't have an htpc?

hey! I resemble that remark

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

lol at the dumbass in IT who just locked out everything without any thought

some stuck-up CJ in technology enabled the group policy to lock out the Edge basic pw manager
since I already had passwords in it, I now have out-of-date passwords that autofill with the expired value, and can't update them (or even delete them)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

looks like its at 20% of windows installs as of may which is way higher than i would have guessed

because they trick old people into updating

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

burning swine posted:

also the new remote desktop for VDI is janky poo poo that fails all the time for no reason

when it does this go into process explorer and kill msrdc.exe, then it will work
I'm not kidding

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

this is a really basic bitch but why the gently caress does it include the name and timestamp when I try to copy a snippet of text from a chat message.

nobody has ever wanted that part tagged onto their clipboard like it's an online encyclopedia website

plus it breaks paths and stuff

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

my fave is the way Teams will just add parameters to URLs that you click on, leading people to embed those parameters into our web pages.

or the way Sharepoint online has no way of just right clicking and opening links in new windows when in the page or document library, you gotta Get A Link instead, which then also has some janky rear end parameters randomly attached it them.

or the way Teams will just randomly reassign my audio device to some USB thing, instead of the headset I've been using for years.

thanks satya

I do have to LOL whenever I see a link where the actual HREF is urldefense.proofpoint.com

but sounds like your headset isn't Teams Certified

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

supports pee and e cores better if you’re on intel

Luckily Win10 is perfect for god's own CPU Intel® Core™ i5-12400 Processor

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

music from the 60s or whatever when stereo was first recorded and the artists went overboard infuriates me. yes i want to only listen to the guitar with one ear, great job. oh now you're switching ti between ears rapidly? wow thanks!

also didn't they do some stuff where they would take previously-mono recordings and pan random tracks left and right and reissue it as a stereo record?

anyway about 20 years ago I had one of my stereo speakers hooked up with 20m of wire so I could drag it from the computer room into the middle of the house and play music. mono mode was useful!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

burning swine posted:

and I was reminded that teams does not work in a browser unless you turn on 3rd party cookies, no thanks

if you use teams in a browser, when people call you it just silently fails with no indication on your end
meetings work fine. go figure.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

all I know about windows 11 is that it’s now less obvious what programs are open but minimised

huh?
I'm looking at my Windows 10 right now and I can't see any difference between programs that are open with a window, open maximised, and open minimised.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

there are things you can turn off in the registry to prevent windows from taking your freedom away from you

it’s harder than ever to force windows to run without a password (so a restart takes it back to desktop) but it’s possible

you can have an account pw and also restart to desktop, you're always been able to

just run netplwiz

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mystes posted:

I was briefly in a situation where I had to keep entering 2FA codes a million times a day due to things being configured stupidly but TOTP was enabled as an option so I was able to make it a lot easier than pulling out my phone every time.

someone at my org made a python script that runs the soft token, scrapes the 6 digit out of it, and pastes it into the form and submit it
they then posted this on yammer for some reason

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Drag the file from your desktop or wherever onto the target window's taskbar spot, and hold it there for a second. The window will pop to the front even if it's minimized. You can then drop the file into the target.

they got rid of this feature in Win11

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

le GNU l'ajouter Linux

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

burning swine posted:

lmao i still can't log in to 2 teams accounts but we have animated emoji and talking head peanut galleries

Reacts to your messages are still ridiculously overimportant and can't be changed
(you can turn off the toast, but you still get the "unread" icon in the systray and in the activity feed)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

like 90% of my teams experience is trying to remember if the important info was pasted into the chat room with alice bob carol dave and ethel or the one with just alice carol and dave or was it the one james started with bob and carol, or wait maybe carol sent it to me directly, no it’s not there either, hmm,

I also love losing tidbits that were posted on a meeting chat and nowhere else

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wish there was a way to permanently disable "headset" mode on my headphones because it's broken as hell

is that a bluetooth headset that has both speaker profile and handsfree profile?

if so, in the new (Metro-style) control panel go into sound -> manage sound devices.
disable the input and output devices that are the handsfree ones.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

it’d be cool if you had a view of all the posts a coworker made across the channels and chats you’re both in. i think that would solve a lot of my issues with teams

holy poo poo this would be such a life-saver

so of course it will never be implemented

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

glad to hear it!

I'm a big idiot who has a music headset and a meetings headset so I know the pain.

(plus, windows has decided to stop connecting to my music headset when it turns on. I have to go into settings and press connect. un-pairing and re-pairing didn't fix it. thanks, windows.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

It needs to be a law that any cutesy popup like that must have a "absolutely gently caress-off forever" option

How was the call quality?

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

you can turn that off :)

how!

everything on google is a uservoice from 2018 CLOSED WONTFIX

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

settings > privacy > surveys

I meant the screen that appears when you terminate a call; I do have surveys turned off and still get the former

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

bt is trash and if your wireless device doesnt come with its own proprietary dongle you got scammed

Microsoft's dongle gets a lot of interference from nearby USB 3 devices so I had to go back to BT.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Why would this be ever necessary, let alone now? I've never had any issues caused by SpeedStep or whatever the tech is nowadays.

I bet users were complaining that "my PC feels slow" and looking at the power profile and claiming that their CPU was at 0%.

(Of course their PC probably was slow as poo poo, but it was due to bloatware and the fans caked with dust.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbh microsoft would annoy me less if they tracked me a hair more, as they sure love advertising me o365 on a computer where i am already signed into three separate fully paid up o365 accounts.

microsoft authenticator really needs some kind of trust that I'm a person with the same name and device enrolled into three separate tenants so I don't have to MFA each one every day

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

(baring tenant policy issues)

i think a lot of heavy lifting is being done right here

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Microsoft 360

They called it the 360 since they were going up against the PS3 and didn't want to call it Xbox 2. OK, I get that.

Then when they made the Series X they are going up against the PS5 with what could be claimed to be the fifth generation of Xbox but didn't want to call it Xbox 5. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Today I got sick of the 00s style chat bubbles in MS Teams so I switched it to Compact style.

Christ, it's ugly as sin! Didn't want to maybe look at how Discord does it, huh?