Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cowboy beepboop posted:

I thought windows touchers had moved away from rdp and used remote power shell and that server manager app these days

my school uses a cisco vpn and people rdp to their office computer to wfh. they do this across all departments. friend of mine works at the local pbs station that is technically part of the college and does wfh via rdp as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chris Knight posted:

every Van Halen album until 5150 lol. my buddy's car lost a speaker once and blam, no Eddie at all

metallica also put james' and kirk's guitars in different channels. i don't know if they continued in stuff post load, but i know they did on all the 80s albums and i'm pretty sure on metallica as well.

e: yeah they do on load, too. listening to 2x4 and james is left and kirk is right.

e2: all the way through s&m. i don't have any metallica past that because i don't particularly enjoy trujillo era metallica, but i bet they probably still split the guitars on l/r channels.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 4, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i use aero snap on win10 all the time. it seems like the new version adds an extra step for no reason.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

that may not have been it. some update on my home pc stopped it from ever automatically going to sleep despite the setting being turned on. i have just been manually doing it as a result.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

since we started using 2fa (lol duo) we no longer have password expirations. as a result i have memorized the 21 character auto-generated gibberish that my password generator made for my work stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sagebrush posted:

We've started using 2FA because some professor got scammed last year through their university account, and I don't mind it in concept, but the Duo implementation is just complete loving garbage. I have to do it at least half a dozen times every day because seemingly none of the systems talk to each other. Login to VPN, duo push. Login to email, Duo push. Log into class website, Duo push. Log into student advising portal, Duo push. All on the same laptop within 2 minutes. Repeat all of this an hour later if I go to class and want to use the teaching station instead of my laptop. gently caress oooooffffff

Also someone please tell me why I have to do a Duo login that pushes to my phone when I am accessing one of these sites on my phone? What is being accomplished there?

lol welcome to duo. because ios blocks third party cookies i can never get the "remember me for 30 days" to work on my iphone or ipad and am just resigned to hitting the push button every time i log into canvas or our admin site. thankfully it saves on my desktop browsers. i have to use it every time for vpn access to remote desktop, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

polyester concept posted:

my mom tried to email herself some photos from ios and she couldn’t open the heic files in windows, and it prompted her to download the codec from the ms store, but it cost a buck 30 lmao get hosed M$

there's a way to send them in jpeg format. i think if you have it email any size other than full size in emails it will convert it. there are other ways, too, but i don't deal with it enough to care.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chris Knight posted:

lol we just got some office update and now outlook tries to autocomplete short replies to emails. just loving lmao.

there are two settings you have to turn off to fully disable that.

click file -> options then open up mail. uncheck this box

then click editor options, advanced, and uncheck this box:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i never got to task manager that way. i've used the ctrl+shift+esc button combo for as long as i remember. i think that one was added in when they made ctrl+alt+del no longer just pull open the task manager.

one of my computer janitor friends was also griping about that feature, but, tbh, i didn't ever realize i could right click the task bar to get the task manager. never needed to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

honorlock only works with chrome so i have to keep a copy installed on my work laptop but that's all it gets used for. firefox with ublock origin has been needs suiting for quite a while, and i don't see any reason to change.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the switch is pretty cool, ngl. haven't played any other modern console so idk.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the gently caress is this ai horseshit that ms has shoehorned into office. found out i've had some ms office program that's a part of their ai poo poo running anytime i've had office running no doubt hoovering up all sorts of poo poo. 4200 hours this loving thing had ran before i noticed it. has literally been preventing my computer from going to sleep automatically. the official ms solution is to delete the individual file and then it will stop doing whatever it is it was doing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

quote is not edit lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

but seriously i've been trying to figure out what was preventing my computer from sleeping all this time and it's been a hidden loving ai poo poo inside office. the gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ai.exe and ai.dll from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16

here's the ms article about it when i started digging. i only figured it out because my video card dashboard told me i had 4200 hours of alien isolation played.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...86fe463e?page=1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i had to close open office apps to delete them but after deleting them i've received no errors or issues opening/using outlook and excel.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

here's what it looked like on my amd dashboard thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

just out here hoovering up my poo poo to feed into bing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Silver Alicorn posted:

thats a virus dawg

did you not click the link from microsoft? this is a part of the office suite. the ms support dude is like "yeah, this is part of the ai integration. delete the file if you want. it will come back when office updates next"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:hmmyes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

infernal machines posted:

lmao. more a/b fun i guess. or something to do with my workstation gpo settings, but thankfully i don't have any of this

it was on my work laptop as well. it might depend on the version of office you have running.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

trust me, versions don't mean poo poo. identical versions will have different features for different user accounts on the same workstation and the same user accounts on different workstations. anything but LTSC is a roll of the dice every time it updates/opens

e: to clarify, that file is there in the same path, but it's not being run when i open word

for me it was running with either outlook, excel, or both. i didn't test it with word. the 4200 hours it was running on my computer was connected to one or both of those.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i have not affirmatively ever ran ai anything on my computer. the closest thing i can think of is excel's data -> geography thing i used once to get distance between places, but the use of that function doesn't line up with the usage of the ai.exe that was tracked (it predates it ai.exe started in january first use of data -> geography was in february) and that functionality works the same even with the ai.exe and ai.dll deleted.

i don't know what the gently caress at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pinterest Mom posted:

i bet the ai feature in outlook is the "Sounds good!/That doesn't work for me/poo poo yourself" response suggestions

i turn those off first thing after any office install on every application that has them. loving hate that poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm glad i could improve your saturday morning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i dunno but i'm stuck using microsoft stuff probably for my career as an academic so it doesn't help me. once upon a time i would have rebelled. now i just disable as much of the cruft as i can and use the poo poo that's compatible with everyone else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my real number crunching is in stata and sas not excel, but it is useful as gently caress with some types of data manipulation and sorting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I don’t believe in the death penalty but whoever decided to add autocomplete and the little blue lines to the new versions of word really challenges my beliefs

gotta love having to disable 2-3 settings in every piece of office software on any clean installs and half of the updates.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh god they updated Outlook and the mail/calendar/todo toggle is now a huge panel across the whole height of the winodw :argh:

they did that a while back. to go back to how it was go into options advanced and uncheck "show apps in outlook" and then restart outlook.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

also don't forget that microsoft may have a bing ai process running anytime you have an office app open and the literal microsoft supplied only way to opt out of this is to delete the executable itself from one of office's directory. it will also be replaced during most or all office updates and may or may not turn back on.

this thing was running for 4203 hours on my machine over a few months hoovering up god knows what from either excel, word, or outlook to feed into binggpt.

i, and many others online, only discovered this because amd's gpu software mistakingly tracks it as the video game alien isolation which also uses ai.exe as its base executable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i, too, am a curmudgeon who hates change. glad to be of service.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

note that by disabling that feature you won't get such marvelous things as an excel button on the side of your outlook window.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

glad to be of assistance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shaggar posted:

microsoft: it sucks rear end bigly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i could not disable all that bing sidebar poo poo fast enough when edge opened up for the first time in a while on my computer. edge opened because outlook reset the setting to open links in the default browser instead of edge again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pinterest Mom posted:

what are you going to do about it, install linux?

this is really what it all boils down to. we're a captive audience. even if i had a mac as my primary machine, i'd still have to bootcamp to run some windows things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

despite having the windows experience notification options turned off i got a full screen captive "YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO RUN THE LATEST WINDOWS" on login this morning, with a single line text only link hidden off the main portion of the screen to decline. then after declining i went into windows update to check why the gently caress my pc had rebooted in the first place, where i was greeted with another "YOUR PC IS READY FOR WINDOWS 11" which had to separately be declined

take the hint you loving dipshits. if i wanted to install windows 11, i would have done it any of the dozen previous times you shoved it in my face in the last year. if i press the very thoughtfully un-highlighted nearly hidden button to decline the upgrade, that's positive consent on my part for you to gently caress the hell off. you don't have to keep presenting the option, there is no question regarding my intent.

this is one of my favorite lines of text when i open up windows update.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i'm pretty sure it's a bios setting or something as my computer is relatively new and should be able to run win11, but i'm not going to install their pc health check tool for them to tell me why it isn't "compatible" and would rather just not get the nags for win11.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it's usually tpm being disabled if it's anything newer than an 8th gen core/1st gen ryzen

if you're not using bitlocker or secure boot then whatever

you probably should be, but again, whatever. at least you don't have to deal with this bullshit

i think that might be what it is, but i'm not sure. i've got a ryzen 6 so i know it's just a setting.

e: i looked at my bios and i'm still set to csm vs uefi boot and that's why i don't get windows 11 install nags.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shaggar posted:

imagine having a wildly successful and well liked product that is the best in class by miles and miles and then deciding to rename it.

What in the gently caress are these morons thinking. Its so unbelievably stupid.

yup. skype was a loving deonym for video chatting and they changed it for no reason.