Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Gonna try doing this. Posting so everyone can laugh at me if I'm my usual lazy gently caress and dont actually do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

:yosnice:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I couldn't come up with any idea so I just hosed around and ended up with this eldritch halloween candy or sentient piss puddle

https://i.imgur.com/lB6KtSW.mp4

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i missed the deadline too, I got lost in adding little details but i'm super happy with the result. the lighting could have been a little better especially at the end but that took long enough as is

https://i.imgur.com/83OheEl.mp4

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

fart simpson posted:

both of those are sick

did you make the letters by hand with nodes?

I just used the 3.0 node that turns a string into an outline of the text as a curve

the power symbol on the button is hand made though, using booleans

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

FalseNegative posted:

Day 5/6 not really turning out how I'd like, but I'm done with it I think.

Tried to go for a Coquina stone five-start fort. It looks super bland unfortunately and I can't figure out how to fix that. I might stick to more abstract stuff for the rest of this month.

I found out yesterday that you can use shader nodes on the world (there's a drop down on the top left of the shader node editor that says "object", click it to access world shader nodes) and it's a great way to get an interesting outdoor lighting without an hdr map. for instance you can use a procedural sky texture to get a nice sunset, but even using something like a colored noise texture can give some interesting results

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 5, 2021

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

feeling very dumb that I didn't do anything timecube theme yesterday

this would fit the upcoming 6 sided prompt better imo

edit nvm im dumb, the timecube has 4 sides doh

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
ok it was bugging me and it turned out that I left the default light around like an idiot, I had only hidden it from the viewport, that's why the final render looked worse than I though it should

i ended up loving around with it a bit more and made a better version
https://i.imgur.com/hoStjEN.mp4

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Really good!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
for more complex shapes you could have for instance several spheres at different positions and return the distance from the closest one of the two

a more generalized solution would be to use a signed distance field. It's basically a 2d or 3d texture where each texel encodes the distance to an area or a volume (positive if the texel is outside and negative if it's inside)

i don't know how you'd do it in blender in practice though

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

FalseNegative posted:

Thanks, I absolutely hate how that looks (great job!)

Does anyone know how to deform a mesh along a curve reliably? I think there's some attribute thing I can use, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I want to take a cone, and turn it into a tooth. Any ideas?

with blender 3.0, you can use a curve primitive node (for instance to make a simple cone you could just use a line), feed it into a curve to mesh node along with another curve to describe the cross section (for example a circle), and the curve to mesh node will basically extrude that along the first curve to make a mesh (whose ends can be capped if you want). like if you use a line for the first curve and a circle for the second curve, you'll get a cylinder (you can use whatever curve shapes you fancy though)

you can then insert a curve radius node between the first curve and the curve to mesh node, and then use the "curve parameter" attribute to control the radius (the curve parameter attribute gives a value between 0 and 1 that progresses along the length of the curve)

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 10, 2021

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
jfc i burned myself out doing barely 1/10th of that

it's really good

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
The way attributes clicked for me is that they're just a name that tell a node which attribute to extract from whatever geometry it manipulates.

Another thing that clicked for me with 3.0 geo nodes is that what you plug into diamond shaped inputs are basically functions which are called by whatever node you connect it to to generate data (ie the destination node pulls data from the function as required)

I was a bit surprised that the edges aren't just straightforward bundles of data because I thought that's what artists were used to when working with node graphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Ah that's neat, i didn't realize that you could do computations on the attributes directly before feeding them into something else