Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

reloaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

every time i see the term nodevember i assume it's some nodejs hackathon event

That would be so awful

fart simpson posted:

i thought it was about doing no software development for a whole month at first

That would be so good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

what happens if you combine no nut november and nodevember

You still get nodes, but they're cancerous ones in your prostate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i always tell my students that there are five elements to making beautiful renders. roughly in order of importance:

- the quality and detail of the modeling
- the lighting setup
- the camera (mostly composition, but also camera effects)
- the surrounding environment and render context
- the materials

arguably materials could be higher up, but as fart simpson notes you can make gorgeous renders with plain gray diffuse materials, and i order them this way specifically to emphasize that fact. i find that students tend to get overly focused on screwing with the material settings to try to make their renders look right, when their problem is much more often something like their lighting is dull or their model has no detail. throwing a 4k carbon fiber texture on it won't fix that

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 3, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i know sagebrush said materials don’t matter but im kinda proud of that flag material. it took me a lot of experimentation to get something to look appropriate, even if it is a little janky

well materials absolutely matter and you can do incredible things with them.

i think i just have that reaction because students tend to overemphasize the importance of material setting and ignore everything else. they'll download some fancy material and complain that it doesn't look right but it's because their modeling is lazy and only has sharp edges, and they used a gray gradient hdri environment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are we allowed to use nodes for only part of the nodevember project or does it all have to be with the default cube?

because i shamefully cannot get my head around geometry nodes like even a little. i think the combination of not knowing how to use them + only doing NURBS modeling just makes it bounce off my brain. i don't think in polygons and vertex normals and stuff. i can think of some cool shaders i could make for some of these prompts, but i need to have some sort of model to start with.

here is an unrelated node thing that i am reasonably proud of, from screwing around in class today. a student was complaining that they didn't know where to start when building a material, so i showed them how you just have to look at the real world object and understand what's going on with its surface and replicate that. the first thing at hand was my pilot logbook so i went with that

ref:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how long does it take to recalculate your scene when you update something in a graph like that