Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I've had a hard time focusing lately, and long form books are off the table for me for the time being. However, this has let me dive back into the wonderful world of short stories, which I haven't kept up with in a long time.

Let's share some of our favorites! Links to text video/audio readings are welcome, nay, enthusiastically requested!

To start things off with a text suggestion, I'd like to suggest my (so far) favorite short story "Hell in Bottles" by Kyūsaku Yumeno, translated in the link from the Japanese by Sacha Idell.
https://as.vanderbilt.edu/nashvillereview/archives/14612

quote:

To the Institute for Oceanographic Research:

I hope this letter finds all of you in good health. In accordance with your instructions, we have been gathering the beer bottles, sealed with red wax, that were released for your research on tidal currents as they wash ashore. On the south coast of the island, however, we discovered three bottles that were sealed with a different material. All three bottles were found within two hundred and fifty meters of one another, either buried in the sand or stuck in gaps between rocks. In any case, it appears that all three are quite old, and the contents look to be not the government-issue postcards used for your research, but rather scraps of paper torn from a notebook, and as such it is impossible to enter the standard information in the research logs. In the case that they might provide a reference, we have decided to send you the bottles at our expense, their seals still intact and otherwise untampered with. We hope they prove useful for your research.

Sincerely,

XX Island, Town Hall

The rest of the story is the contents of those three bottles, and lemme tell ya it's a wild ride. It's one of those stories that captures so, so much of the human condition it's eerie. I could spend hours sitting with friends sharing a joint and dissecting the themes of this story.
In all it's about a 20 minute read. Highly recommended and super happy to discuss with anyone interested.

For audio, I'd recommend "Bullet in the Brain" by Tobias Wolff read by my favorite YouTube reader (who hasn't updated in three years, damnit) Thee Landstander https://www.youtube.com/c/TheeLandstander

The story is only 11 minutes and shares the last moments of a flaming dickweed of a person as he, at the last exact moment of existance, finds the moment that defined him. Absolutely brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtcQ_Uk47MI

Short stories! We love 'em, so share 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU