Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

esporst loving pwn

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

optimally whether a game is 'anime' or has anime roots or is made in Japan wouldn't make a difference either way to whether it is a good game to play

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

anime makes it better

well i was trying to be diplomatic and bridge the gap but you went and done said the thing!! nicely done ya drat fool, now peace is impossible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Is there like an organized thing here where the whole forum discusses and votes on GOTY? Or just people putting out their own lists that no one else will read or care about unless they make purposeful controversial choices

wuggles posted:

I am going to be putting Persona 5: "The Royal" on my list for the second year in a row. Stux if you wanna fight DM me for my home address.

I'm playing Forza Horizon 5 a little on my $1 PC game pass and it (expectedly) rules. Need to play Halo and Psychonauts while I have the sub

I'm a little embarrassed because the first 3/4 of the year I spent almost exclusively on indie games, of which there were many and they were so good.

Now though I am 100% wrapped up in Forza Horizon 5, Rider's Republic and Far Cry 6. The opiate of the masses, but it feels so drat good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

yeah around the start of Dec someone will post/stick a thread for people to compile their lists in and discuss, with some light guidelines. around the new year there will be a big ranking/countdown of the top games according to posters.

im low key down for that. sounds fun, and stupid. mostly stupid but in a good way

Jay Rust posted:

iirc
2020 sa GotY was hades
2019 sa GotY was disco Elysium
2018 sa GotY was monster hunter world

probably not my exact choices but I can't really argue with those results

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean, Psychonauts 2 is clearly gonna win. The centrist candidate to bring both sides together

Play
Apr 25, 2006

assuming you have a choice, is a white person choosing a black avatar an example of blackface (if a minor one)? Serious question

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Looper posted:

what if you don't have a choice...

I'm saying specifically when you have a choice, you are playing a character of your choosing who theoretically (or for many people at least) represents in some way who you are. Although I guess it depends on if you are thinking of the character as yourself or you 'roleplaying' a character?

hatty posted:

This thinking is how you get less black protagonists

That's certainly not my intention. I just have a fictional black driver that I play in all my racing games and he always gets the same name and number. Originally I did it because I liked the idea of a black American competing in F1 or supercross, which are heavily white-dominated sports. I thought that would be cool. Then it kind of bled over a bit and now I often use black avatars even in non-racing games.

But then I started thinking about how maybe that's weird? I don't know. I'm probably overthinking it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it turned out it was the closed captioning for the dub with the inaccurate translation but the actual subtitles were fine

1 don't ever watch dubs, 2 of course the dub translation and the subtitled translation are not going to be the same, with the dub they have to manipulate the words involved so they can make it look 'real' (it never looks real anyways of course) whereas subs will be the more accurate translation

I mean I'm just guessing that's what happened, maybe the dub had it's own CC that was really bad but I'm thinking they just used the dub and the sub at the same time

subdub dubsub

Gripweed posted:

Have they started making enough PS5s yet?

no clue but I haven't seen as much interminable whining about it recently so I'm guessing it's getting better?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The United States posted:

Subtitles have their own limitations, as in there are only so many words you can fit on a screen in a given amount of time, and while the space limit isn't as severe as it was in the standard definition days (it was real bad back then), you can still only expect the average viewer to read and comprehend so fast, so subtitles have to be cut down and abbreviated and get the point across as succintly as possible. If the dialogue is extremely flowery and poetic it may not be possible to get that across. Dubs have the limitations of time and matching the lip flaps as you mention, but there are times where they can actually get more words across in the same scene.

You can see how severe the space limitations were by looking at old DVD subtitles.

I can confidently say I can read anything as fast as I can hear someone speak it no matter how quickly they're trying to talk. It may be true that they cut down the subs sometimes for brevity, but it shouldn't be and I'd be annoyed if I ever knew that to be happening (if I knew it was happening then I wouldn't need subs though, would I?)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hatty posted:

You saw this in person? Are there roving gangs of Mega Man zoomers out there laying down the law

You'd be surprised! I've been attacked by zoomers many times for my gaming choices. Physically attacked, beaten and left for dead in point of fact

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hatty posted:

Battle Network is twenty years old its as boomer as the rest

I'm 33 does that make me a boomer?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The Legendary Super Shaggy. :dogstare:

Shuper Shaiyan

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Clave Hample has 500 million followers

so do Clary Jumper, Forp Clink and Heegan Ponkle, what even is your point here

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rarity posted:

Millenial challenge: how many of these people do you know?

Literally none of them except Barron Trump, David Hogg, Greta Thunberg, Patrick Mahomes, Simone Biles and Lil Nas X

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CubeTheory posted:

you cannot convince me that this is not an AI generated image

edit: oh it is, isn't it

It's not AI it's just a parody image that always seems hilarious to me. Cool Shirtman, Chris del Chris, Carpiss Bunson and MMM...MLURP always crack me up so hard for some reason

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rarity posted:

Corporate wants you to tell us the difference between these two pictures

They're the same picture

I like how 'SelfieC' is actually infinitely worse than the parody version of 'ColgyP'

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Whizzing Wizard posted:

i'm just thankful zoomers don't have access to or know how to use these forums

get off your dad's account, Colton Burpo. We know who you are

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Colton Burpo is the one name on the fake pic that's a real person. He's the kid that his family lied about dying and seeing heaven like 6 years ago

it just keeps going deeper and deeper

Play
Apr 25, 2006

My brain is like a sponge in the middle of the Sahara. Good luck squeezing any dopamine out of that wreck

As evidenced by this confusing failure of a metaphor. That was literally the best I could come up with

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have an obsessive need to read everything that is marked as unread so as a result I get overwhelmed and stop reading any of them because it's too much. I like old rear end forums because I can catch up. I also enjoy an early dinner and black coffee.

how about long walks on the beach?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

so either I'm a clueless dolt who doesn't know what an NFT is or an even more clueless dolt who DOES know what they are and loves them? I hate these options

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Sam, this is Cool Shirtman. For years after the Death Stranding I hid inside my bunker. I felt isolated and I didn't really form any connections with other people. I grew my own clothes and made my own food so I could go months without talking to anyone. But I started hearing about this Great Deliverer going around connecting people again so I decided to peek my head outside and see what the world looked like that you were travelling through. As it happens, a passing porter saw me and called out "Cool Shirt Man." I felt a sudden rush of dopamine, as if I had gotten 100 Likes at once, I was suddenly connected to humanity again and it felt amazing! With the Chiral Network you set up for me I can send my t-shirt designs to anyone in America and we can all share that feeling. It's like the threads in my shirts are the threads that are binding us together again. Thanks Sam.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Sam, it's Cool Shirtman again. 👋

Have you been wearing the Cool T-Shirt I gave you? It's no ordinary t-shirt! Not only does it keep you warm, but the print on the front is sure to put a smile on the face of any fellow porter you come across in your deliveries. 😀

Isn't making others smile the greatest rush you can feel? And it's sure to earn you plenty of likes! 👍

So please, Sam, wear my Cool T-Shirt and spread the love! 🙏

too real lmao. I didn't even finish that game, didn't come close I don't think, and this is still causing flashbacks

Play
Apr 25, 2006

it looks so bad. I'm still gonna watch it though and I don't mind admitting it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

the vast majority of anime is incredibly embarrassing, and bad, and borderline (or not so borderline) pedophilic. I'm sorry but it's true

there are some gems out there but overall... yeesh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

homeless snail posted:

the majority of most things are bad

the majority of your mom is bad!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cowboy Bebop kinda owns actually. They really went all out to be true to the original and somehow it works

So far anyways I think I'm only on episode 2 or 3

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

I picked up Cyberpunk for for sale, whats the goon recommended difficulty that isn't a walk in the park but not unfair?

Whatever the highest one is. At the very start of the open world section it's a little harder, so you can put it down a level or two for that maybe. But overall highest difficulty is the only one that present any challenge once you are a few main missions into the game

You can change it anytime though so just play around with it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I haven't even gotten to that part so it looks like they made the wise decision to make Ed a very small part of the show at least so far.

I mean, I love Ed but if that's how it looks I'm not sure I want very much of it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Does live action bebop cover Mad Pierrot at all because hoo boy I can only imagine how terrible that could end up looking

Actually, does it cover any existing material at all or is it an entirely new thing, just same characters but new stuff?

It sure does, probably the weakest episode overall but it wasn't a total disaster. Honestly really loving surprised they chose that one and not the one with lady/man who served with Vicious in the war, that episode was really good I thought.

For the show overall you have to get into the Cowboy Bebop mindset, suspend your disbelief at the silliness and pretend you are still watching an anime.

Also sorry haters it's a good loving show and I'm not taking trash opinions from people who are only parroting negative takes from twitter, watch it or stfu imo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

If Returnal came to PC I would play the absolute gently caress out of it

Infinitum posted:

NOWS YOUR CHANCE TO BE A

I was a little disappointed they didn't try the glue-on lady-cowboy jacket costume in real life

oooof

Play
Apr 25, 2006

what is harmonix anyways

Play
Apr 25, 2006

when i get quoted it's just a lame yellow what the hell

Play
Apr 25, 2006

holy poo poo the browser version has a dark mode. oh my god

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rarity posted:

I'm performing an important thread service

your avatar looks bad in dark mode get some transparency in that thing ffs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

that was the longest gap in posts I've ever experienced itt. i guess they didn't like your whalepunk joke pwnstar

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

just started Guardians of the Galaxy, goddamn this better than I thought it would be. Iit actually looks graphically fantastic; kind of funny how Squeenix published this and Avengers. Hope they give Eidos the nod to make more of this stuff, they nailed the Mass Effect-lite gameplay and character interactions. I'm kind of stunned at how often a character remarks on the things I do i.e. go off to collect a thing, suggest the wrong thing, gently caress up a combo or make a decision that gets shoved in my face long after. The devs really cared about making it a fun experience----right under Spider-Man I think it's probably the best Marvel game in the last decade.

I really want to play this one. But even though it got favorable reviews and people seemed to like it a lot I'm convinced it will be a lot cheaper relatively soon.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I just watched a video about a KPOP fusion group based on League of Legends characters put together by Riot Games who have topped the world digital chart multiple times and I've never felt so old, confused, and alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SeXReX posted:

One of them has depression because of all the people she's murdered to fuel her magic powers or some poo poo

wow. deep.

they explained in the video that even though they are league of legends characters they actually live in our world. or something? I found that a bit confusing