Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
oh word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

diamond and pearl remakes are getting released soon too. were those good?

Diamond and Pearl are decent, standard Pokemon fare and has more in line with the oldest gens than the newer ones if that's of any appeal

The main issues they had were fixed by Platinum and those changes are very likely to be intact

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

I know the dev is within their rights to get more money, but was it ever announced that Isaac: Repentance would be paid DLC? I don't remember reading about it.

Unfortunately I have no source but I do distinctly remember reading it would be either a standalone game or paid add on for those who already had the Switch Isaac

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

pixaal posted:

Speaking of Blitzball, someone said there was some anime soccer game that was basically a full game of Blitz ball. Anyone remember what this was? This post is making me want to play Blitz ball and I don't feel like playing through the FFX story again to play it.

If on Switch then as someone else said it might be Captain Tsubasa. Otherwise the only other thing that sounds close is Inazuma Eleven which is on 3DS (and a criminally overlooked series)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm far more addicted to designing houses than I thought I'd be so yes

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I bet my dad could beat Chrono Trigger in a fight

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I played the new Mario Party game last night.

For some context, I'm trying to get :smug: ~*~my wife~*~ :smug: into video games so I thought this could be a good game for that. I've never played it but I know people who have and they recommended it as an obvious choice for a lighthearted party kind of thing. We set it up so it was her and me against two CPU players set on Easy just to mess around. Started playing on Yoshi's island or whatever the level is called.

We were having a great time right up until the very end of the game. In the board game, there's a mechanic that can randomly swap all stars and coins between any two random players. Not either stars or coins, but "Player A gives all of their stars and all of their coins to Player B in exchange for all of Player B's stars and coins. Two turns before the end of the game, where my wife and I had both earned a good amount of stars and coins as I was helping her out with mini games and figuring stuff out, and we were kind of clobering the CPU characters, this happened to my wife. A CPU character landed on a special event spot where that character has to roll to determine two random characters to swap a random collection of their resources. The dice was rolled and boom. The situation was Character C landed on that spot and rolled dice such that that my wife's character had to trade all of her stars and coins (like, 3 stars and 90 coins) with CPU character D, who had played the whole game poorly and had literally 0 stars and like 3 coins... two turns before the game ended, leaving my wife's character coinless and starless, and the "Easy" CPU character sitting with tons of resources.

Can anybody explain to me how this mechanic doesn't invalidate literally the entire game?

At that stage of the game, you're literally trading your entire game's progress with somebody else. It's not even internally consistent. What is the point of even having a board game format that tracks stars and coins and whatever else at all if there's a mechanic that just randomly swaps literally every resource owned by one character with another character with literally nothing either character can do to influence it? So you spend the entire game playing well and racking up points and there's only one or two turns left in the game? Guess what? gently caress you! This other character landed on a spot so now everything you have done for the entire game goes to that other character who sucked at everything and has nothing, and there's nothing you can do about it, and you have no time to make up any of it. Have a great day!

So I'm honestly asking, why does the board game part of Mario Party exist at all if it's just chaos and nothing matters and anybody's points can go to anybody else at any time because gently caress you? I realize I'm getting more annoyed than I should but I was excited to be able to play video games with my wife, and I think this poo poo has put her off them for a good while, and I don't blame her. Why would anybody play any game with a "progress" system if out of nowhere, without warning beforehand, it can just be completely invalidated at any time with no ability to influence it?

So, yeah. Sorry for blowing up, but based on this event alone I'm saying the game sucks, is bullshit, and shouldn't be played by anybody.

me in the last thread posted:

mario party in particular requires that you be okay with losing through no fault of your own

if this idea induces a tantrum then it is time to reflect

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Mia Wasikowska posted:

why is everyone in this thread always so aggro and so wrong. what happened

be the change you want to see

what have you been enjoying recently

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
terranigma balls

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I bought the Pokemon double pack to split with my partner

Also apparently the early Pokemon impressions of it being barebones may be sorted by a pre-release patch: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/youll-really-really-want-to-ensure-your-pokemon-diamondpearl-remakes-are-updated-at-launch

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Just in case you missed it oxyclean it's one cent more

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
"You don't have to buy both" doesn't really go far enough, "it's an actively weird decision to buy both" is the true stance

Just play a pokemon. Statistically you're unlikely to complete the Pokedex which is the only thing affected, and if you did try to then you have a mountain of goons to trade with

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Copernic posted:

nothing that happens to the characters is memorable

Squall yelling poo poo about refusing to be spoken about in the past tense is hella memorable

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I upgraded to a 400gb and am now at the point where I have to delete/archive stuff too

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
gamut

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
not watching a contextless 14 minute video, particularly from you

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
diamond and pearl brought bidoof to the world so from there they can do no wrong

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Crucial detail: you can still polish your badges in the D/P remakes. All is forgiven

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Blooster posted:

I bought Undertale this morning at 8am and already beat it. Is this game serious? I've played demos that were longer.

ye you're supposed to beat it three times if you want maximum content

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Right? Like I mentioned, my partner thought I was joking at first. "No, he doesn't! He talks about like, adventures and the ocean and poo poo..." "Yeah, to DUDES!"

I'm sure it comes from the "oh, he's a perv but he's old and thus harmless" trope and not "let's make female players, particularly young ones, feel creeped out", but...

Anyway, I am pleased to report that Kapp'n in New Horizons appears to have the same lines for both "masculine" and "feminine" players, thus no perving. However, now we can't help but crack jokes to put a darker spin on his innocent lines...

While it's obviously a net positive that he's not making female players feel uncomfortable, I do think they've made him a bit too normal this time round. Man used to sing about his love for big sumo wrestlers and fart mid song and talk about how awesome mothers are and just came across like a bit of a lunatic

This time he's just a nice old man that loves his family. If he was a bit more weird without being creepy that'd be ideal imo. Still has an obsession with cucumbers at least

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait what? Kapp'n is a turtle (outside of Japan) and not a frog?

But what about Tortimer? Isn't he the AC representation of a turtle or tortoise?

I obviously don't know much about animals in Japanese culture, but in Metal Gear Solid 3, aren't those things that you can find all throughout the game kappas, which are essentially frogs?

I'm so confused.

Yeah kappas are just horrible green water monsters with some froggy traits and some turtle traits. Probably easier to localise him as a turtle due to the big shell on his back

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If it helps any, I believe every single TM in the game can be repurchased in one way or another

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

FFX is still good. Managed to drain my battery getting to some desert after fighting someone important.

I'm still really liking it. The bosses haven't been hard yet. You can generally outheal any damage thrown at you while you figure out the best way to whittle down their health so that you don't have to heal. What I mean to say, you take a few turns healing and testing out some stuff. You then figure out what works and then you go in.

Or just use a summon! Whatever works.

It's great. I'm enjoying the message of deadbeat dads even if I have a great relationship with my own dad. It's just neat.

You still have a few infamous bosses in your future which may help your difficulty concerns (or enrage you if you die a lot because unskippable cutscenes)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
don't act like your anus is a fortress. determined thieves CAN and WILL get in there.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I do not have one specific reason I play games and in fact my needs vary depending on the genre or game

I play things like Monster Hunter both for the fun reaction stuff and also the social aspect

I play slower or turn based stuff to unwind and either for the plot or for the dopamine hit of numbers going up or things unlocking/being achieved

I play Warriors games because they're flashy and slightly mindless and great when I'm high

I play rhythm games because I hate myself

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
There is a marked difference between enjoying a Pokemon game and actively discussing your latest shiny at a party, yeah

I play a lot of smash bros and I am not going to be chatting about frame data while ordering shots

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I hope water guy plays the Diamond/Pearl remakes

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Bazelgeuse

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
nintendo has never asked you to lick the games, would you deny yourself this realm of untold pleasure? didn't think so

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Which was what?

I had thought it was a joke about Pokemon BDSP but that came out in Nov so I think he means Big Brain Academy

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
rhythm heaven when

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
:sexarse:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Social Animal posted:

Did they ever fix the horrible performance and crashing in coop mode? Single player worked just fine. This was back when it first released so I’ll reinstall for this update and hope for the best.

I think so? At the very least I played through 2 player co op with my partner and it was crash free. I know it goes up to 3/4 players so can't report on if that's hosed

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a beat em up where you fight humans iirc

The second game is a complete change in genre and does involve violently throwing jars at people, might be what you played

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I get breath of the wild as a moving day survival treat, do I need the expansion pass?

You don't need it but if you have any expectation that you will one day buy it then it's more useful to have from early game

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the tennis itself is very good. Find yourself some goons

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
oh no you said the thing

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
it's the time of year to play donkey kong country 3 with the Christmas code enabled

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
just an inflammatory non-sequitur then??? So close to the celebration of the birth of Christ???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
might be overkill, I already yell that during climax