Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
My number one question concerning Mario RPG remake changes is did they rename Neosquid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

Only played Pikmin so far and the biggest adjustment has been having to hold down L in order to move your swarm of Pikmin around. Also I'd forgotten much more vicious everything in the world is when you can't drop a bunch of purples on their head.

What does the right stick do otherwise? Move the camera?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Rolo posted:

Was RPG the first time Mario appeared in 3D?

Mario Clash came out the year before. That answer should not be interpreted as a yes or a no.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Speaking of GameCube games, does anyone know which versions of Metal Gear Solid Konami is porting?

Given the file sizes, I'm pretty sure it's the mgs HD collection for ps3, but i can't be certain.

On the Switch eshop it says they're the HD Collection versions.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

I just picked up Pikmin 1, and was the option to reset to a specific day present in the Wii port? That was by far my favorite QoL upgrade in 3.

It was added with the New Play Control port yeah

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I didn't have to retrace my steps in the fire temple, nor did I climb anywhere. :shrug:

I'm replaying Zelda 2, and this game rocks. I guess it didn't occur to me just how much less grinding you have to do when you aren't dying as frequently

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

can't wait for the level when Mario's head falls off the instant you begin it

Fake joycon drift
Kaizo block into a pit

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Has anyone ever had issues with the joycons disconnecting while playing in handheld mode? They aren't loose, and it doesn't do the little click thing on the side of the screen when they disconnect. They just sometimes stop working until I slide it off then snap it back on.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
*Nintendo seeing people clamoring for GoldenEye* "Ahh they want licensed games"

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Are there any good Genesis games on Switch Online? All the ones I tried were terrible.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The problem with a Switch port though is what's the point of playing Civilization if you can't mod it? I want to play as Brazil and team up with Hello Kitty to take down Elsa from Frozen.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I am outraged Peach turning into a pink elephant doesn't then cause the touch fuzzy screen effect.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Araxxor posted:

https://twitter.com/SMWikiOfficial/status/1712120993479573557

Didn't think they'd change Yaridovich.

A preemptive RIP to Neosquid.

I didn't expect it but it doesn't surprise me. I didn't get the pun until I looked up an explanation. I hope they change Bowyer's name.

I'll only be sad about Neosquid because of how utterly perplexing it is, but if they change Mack the Knife that's going to get me.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

I was a tomboy growing up, so when the Super Smash Bros Melee trophy description for Daisy referred to her as one, I went

I had three eyes growing up, so I had the same reaction to her melee trophy

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

hatty posted:

Maybe they’ll Save the really hard courses for DLC like with New Super Luigi U

Is that what Super Luigi U is? I bought NSMBU on the switch a while back and had no idea what that part of it was.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I bought two vouchers, and used one for Wonder, which my kids are currently going nuts for.

Now I'm trying to decide between the following, in terms of what other game to use it on.

- Metroid Dread
- Advance Wars (never played more than 30 minutes of the original though I enjoyed what I played, so virtually all of the content is brand new to me. I love the Shining Force games, if that helps)
- Pikmin 4 (I've loved all of the mainline Pikmin games so far, especially 3 despite it being much shorter than 2)
- nothing, and just wait on it.

I never played Super Mario RPG, but I loved the first two Paper Mario games. I'm curious if the remake is going to be worth using a voucher on it. Never played Mario vs DK, so I don't really have an interest in that.

Edit: if the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection was part of the voucher deal, I wouldn't even be making this post. I realize that since they're not 1st party, they wouldn't be. Christ, I love those games.

Dread, even with the expectations of the long history of its name, lives up to the hype. The original Mario RPG is an excellent charming game, and any issue I have with it (weird translation stuff, unclear descriptions and move timings) are sure to be fixed in the remake. Even though I don't expect that I'll personally like the Mario RPG remake as much as I loved Dread, I think you should go with it.

The only thing I'll outright compare of the two games is the music, and Mario RPG blows Dread out of the water.

eta- Mario vs. DK is a decent game, but no way would I spend the voucher on the remake. I doubt it will even be sold for 60 dollars. I hope it won't be -- it's a remake of a GBA game.

Andorra fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 21, 2023

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, they should make a new 3D Rayman platformer one day (I believe the last one was the one that introduced the Rabbids which then proceeded to completely take over the franchise until Origins came out)

Raving Rabbids was just a party game, you have to go further back. Rayman 3 would have been the last one, and that was 20 year ago at this point.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Dracula Appraiser posted:

The first one and Legends are rough. The second one is surprisingly good compared to the first. And then Legends was made by some outsourced team that basically only made that one game. It was miserable to try to beat as a kid. But I also had no idea how the special powers you got after bosses were supposed to work. So the full heal probably makes it way more tollerable.

The first one was at least also a very early Game Boy game. Legends really doesn't get that excuse. It came out after Symphony of the Night!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Director's Cut version of the zelda movie where scenes are edited in weird ways and there's cows embedded in the walls

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

goethe.cx posted:

if they've changed the name of Neosquid i'm boycotting

they fixed the mouth's name but every single other enemy is now called Neosquid

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

so how exactly does it work? being in japanese doesn't help my dumb monolingual rear end

Blocks in a group of two fall from the top. There are two main kind of blocks. Animal Friend blocks and star blocks. Star blocks are filler but also points when you remove them. When animal friends of one type are next to each other they disappear. When they are linked by star blocks they disappear with the star blocks as well. Multiple matches in one drop creates a combo- the bigger the combo, the more stars kirby showers the game field with (not star blocks- while these stars can link animal friends and score points, they don't stay on the board), which in turn can create bigger and bigger combos.

The title screen attract mode tutorial does a demonstration of this.

Select Kirby at the menu to get to game modes. The modes are from left to right:

Endless
Round Clear (The goal is to collect a set score in each round. In the GB version a lot of these intentionally could be solved in a single well placed move, but I've no idea if it's the same in this)
Story (Versus, but single player)
2 Player Versus
Timed

Then the remaining options on the menu is how you create files I think? then the tutorial, then stats?

My favorite part playing the GB version as a kid was finishing all the Rounds in Round Clear. They get really fast, and eventually are only a couple moves away from game overs at any time.

Andorra fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 21, 2023

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Annath posted:

Xel'lotath is voiced by 2 VAs, one of which is Jennifer Hale! (FemShep from Mass Effect)

The entire cast is basically shared with Metal Gear Solid. Jennifer Hale, Kim Mai Guest, Paul Eiding, Cam Clarke, Greg Eagles....

And then there's also William Hootkins yeah

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

otter posted:

How do people generate those lists of their year in review?

Go to Nintendo's website, it's the first thing you see. Just log in to your account.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Sunshine is good if you only do the main required content to beat the game and avoid the optional and side content. All the really terrible and annoying stuff is optional.
Excuse me, chucksters are required. They're also hilarious, as is pachinko

I don't like Sunshine because every playthrough is exactly the same. You have to do those specific episodes and anything additional, be it blue coins or shine sprites, has zero impact on progress.

What I loved about Mario 64, and what I was hoping for from later games, is that you have a set of levels to pick and play around in. You could just completely avoid a third of the worlds in the game and still beat it. If you don't want to do the first episode in a world, you can still get other stars there. Sunshine didn't do that, nor did Galaxy. Galaxy 2 somewhat did with the green stars, but my itch wasn't scratched until Odyssey. Now there's a good game.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

otter posted:

* Play through a pokemon game (taking recommendations)

Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Does the Mario RPG remake have any modernized/QoL gameplay changes?

It's clear what items are based on the name and descriptions.

You are able to actually see enemy weaknesses and strengths

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's everyones' pipe dream for the system's swan song? (I personally believe there'll be 100 years of Switch until something is officially announced.)

I what a Pikmin 1+2 packaging of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, and I know it'll never happen.

cubivore hd

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Anyone have a favorite or know of any hidden gems in the arcade archive series?

additionally, what are some of your favorite arcade stick / d-pad games in the eshop?

I have the cowabunga collection and the capcom beat em up bundle + a good pile of shmups, but I'm interested to discover more games that might be fun to play with a stick.
I've never really had fun with fighting games though, so unless it's something drastically different from street fighter or mortal combat, don't bother.

I like Legend of Valkyrie and Metro-Cross.

But I also like Tower of Druaga, so maybe you don't want to take my arcade game recommendations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Mario Sunshine has its issues and all, but some of you guys are acting like it's on the level of Metroid: Other M or Super Paper Mario, and it's weird.

I genuinely had no idea there were more than just the first game.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

super paper mario is several orders of magnitude better than sunshine, are you sure you didn't mean to use sticker star in this comparison or something

God no. SPM was terrible when I bought it when it first came out, and it was terrible when I replayed it recently. Easily one of the most tedious games I've played. Atrocious ugly art design, and a story I couldn't possibly be interested in.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

iirc sf rush had fun music too.

and i don't even know what beetle adventure racing is!

Beetle Adventure Racing is a cool game where the tracks are long and have so many alternate paths that you can take an entirely different route through every lap. There's a multiplayer battle mode where you collect little ladybugs and shoot each other. Loads of fun.

I loved the secret police car volkswagen you can unlock that makes the COMs pull over when you sound the siren.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

when i first got san francisco rush my friend and i would just spend fuckin hours either driving around looking for poo poo or doing sick stunts in the park in track 4
Yep. That's what my friend and I did. Just going full speed up those hills and launching into each other, or chasing after each other. Come to think of it I don't know how much we actually played the game "for real".

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What annoyed me with TotK's story is that you watched the same cutscenes four times doing every dungeon.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Morpheus posted:

No absolutely not because if they do that then there will be more Great Bay levels and I don't need that kind of stress.

That's weird, because Great Bay Temple owns

except for the boss, that guy sucks

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The Adventure of Link is a GOAT tier game, especially with save states.

Yeah it's a pretty cool game. There are a few ways you could improve it (making it less cryptic, fixing the experience so you don't lose it all on game overs, maybe add a few more places you continue from), but I actually prefer it to the first game.

I also like how unusual it is in that Ganon has nothing to do with the plot for once, and there's not really a "bad guy"- Link is just going around doing his own thing.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

The Neal! posted:

I've recently discovered that the best 2d zelda game is actually Tunic :colbert:

I'd seen some footage of Tunic and the action-adventure looked dull and uninteresting. But then I started watching someone playing the game and they're just flipping back and forth between pages of a manual trying to solve a puzzle and decypher things, and I'm totally captivated. I wish there was a version of the game that was just the latter stuff.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Has anything made available on NSO ever been announced during a partner showcase direct? Drill Dozer is Game Freak's best game and I'd love if they did something with it (especially on NSO since that wouldn't cost me anything extra)

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Pepper Grinder demo is good fun. It's not Drill Dozer, but it's still fun.

Put Drill Dozer on NSO.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I've 100%ed DK64 five times and enjoyed it every time.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

You may need an MRI.

lol I don't know. I'm weird and just really like collectathons. I'm not even that big of a fan of DK64, it's certainly the worst between it and the two Banjo-Kazooies. It just felt fitting to do that game five times.

On that note, does anybody have any recommendations for collectathons on the Switch? I've already played Mario Odyssey, Yooka-Laylee, and Hat in Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
They should remake Super Paper Mario and remove all the tedious gameplay.

None of the original game would remain.