Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New WU anchor found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Haha. This is amazing!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That was really good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it blatantly killed in front of the live audience so hopefully that’s a good sign.

Although so did the Giraffrey Dahmer joke soooo

pwn
May 27, 2004

And that’s how you slap lorne michaels and still have a job

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Loading, loading, loading...

STATEN ISLAND SUCKS!

I like the robot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Those poor polar bears though :lol:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Speaking of the early 90s, enjoy this throwback photo from 1993, shot by Mitchell Gerber

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is that James Downey next to Phil Hartman?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sherman is so fantastic

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Sherman is so fantastic

She is, Jost ought to find wherever Jake Gyllenhaal is in hiding and join him for the rest of the year

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1459765930960068611?s=21

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Somewhere, high atop 30 Rock, Lorne is screaming to put the crazy, loud lady in everything?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Dumping Baldwin really helped the show.

good timing for quite a few reasons!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also as a Swiftie this performance wasn’t her best. All Too Well as a 5 minute album track is a fan favorite and the 10 minute version has been a holy grail since she mentioned it in an interview so when she went to re-record her albums it was the perfect way to ensure a bunch of her fans would absolutely drop money on the vinyl. (It’s like the Snyder Cut of music.)

https://youtu.be/tollGa3S0o8

The song is much better shorter, but I think she kinda knew that which is why she made a short film to go with it which has even more than what played behind her tonight. The film is really interesting because the song about a relationship between a young woman and a man who is probably too old (Jake Gyllenhaal, who is 9 years older than Swift, who he dated when she was 20). But, where the song was written by 21-year-old Taylor Swift at the end of the relationship, the short film is made by present, 31-year-old Taylor Swift, who has a decade’s worth of knowledge and perspective and has a better sense of the power imbalance between a 20/21-year-old and a 29-year-old, which the short film illustrates very well by not doing anything to make the actress playing young not-Swift look older. It’s sort of uncomfortable to look at because you can see the difference between them both in how they look and how they act, compounded by not-Jake being a smarmy dick who doesn’t really take his girlfriend seriously. There’s a song on her latest album called Tolerate It, which is of a piece with this short because it’s also about a young woman in a relationship with an older man who she feels doesn’t take her and her dreams and desires seriously, although it isn’t explicitly about any real person since her last couple albums have mostly been story songs and character pieces. The short film really makes the length of the song work for it rather than being a too long demo.

Swift wrote and directed it herself and the person who worked as DoP did a really good job as well, it’s very well shot. I honestly sort of expect Swift to do at least a little more directing in the future.

pwn
May 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Also as a Swiftie :bravo2:

I appreciate the perspective. Not explicitly a fan of Swift but am very much a fan of songs that are mostly/all verse (see: Belle and Sebastian) and I appreciated that aspect of it, for what it was. Genuinely thanks for posting.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The little girl at the end basically stole the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFkus2_SXVI

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pwn posted:

Speaking of the early 90s, enjoy this throwback photo from 1993, shot by Mitchell Gerber

Melanie Hutsell (lower right)- one of the worst cast members ever.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Unrelated to the latest episode, but in the last SNL thread I asked if anyone knew who wrote the Stallone Orange Julius thread, and folks said it was Adam McKay. Thanks for the info! Saw that he confirmed it on Twitter too:

https://twitter.com/GhostPanther/status/1062935554264723456?s=20

Does anyone know who wrote/writes "Whats Up With That"? I'm assuming Kenan?

pwn
May 27, 2004

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know who wrote/writes "Whats Up With That"? I'm assuming Kenan?

Bryan Tucker wrote it on the Sudeikis episode, I can’t confirm if he wrote the previous installments. He has been writing for the show since 2005 so it’s quite possible.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is that James Downey next to Phil Hartman?

The one and only

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

is the entrance applause pete davidson always gets as simple as "that's the guy from the gossip websites"

pwn
May 27, 2004

I think people just smash their hands together when they see something or someone they really like. We do this since we’re babies so it’s some hardwired poo poo

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
manpark hit a little too close to home for me

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
that was a very solid episode and i think what helped is they didn't try to shoehorn the host into any ridicilious sketches, he was almost like another cast .

well the cold open i thought was dumb but it got better after that

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

pwn posted:

I think people just smash their hands together when they see something or someone they really like. We do this since we’re babies so it’s some hardwired poo poo

this brings up a more existential question: does anyone actually like pete davidson or is it just familiarity forced on us by mass culture

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

R. Guyovich posted:

this brings up a more existential question: does anyone actually like pete davidson or is it just familiarity forced on us by mass culture

he has his moments

his Andrew Cuomo impression was really good too bad for him he's no longer relevant

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

I like Pete, he’s funny often. SNL is a weird place for him and I do not understand everyone in Hollywood trying to ride his dick (metaphorically and literally).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

I like Pete, he’s funny often. SNL is a weird place for him and I do not understand everyone in Hollywood trying to ride his dick (metaphorically and literally).

His first appearance on WU was great but he needed way more experience before he landed there.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

The Nastier Nate posted:

that was a very solid episode and i think what helped is they didn't try to shoehorn the host into any ridicilious sketches, he was almost like another cast .

well the cold open i thought was dumb but it got better after that

Yeah, I was surprised, this was a solid one!

One thing I realized, is Jonathan Majors maybe the least well known host in recent history? As far as I can tell he hasn't had any sort of huge breakout role recently (but is going to be in more Marvel stuff). Does he just have amazing agents, or did I miss him in something huge?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

R. Guyovich posted:

Pete is certainly not the best cast member. But I usually find some humor in watching them break during a skit and he basically always breaks in a skit.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Hot take: Pete owns

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

frogbs posted:

One thing I realized, is Jonathan Majors maybe the least well known host in recent history? As far as I can tell he hasn't had any sort of huge breakout role recently (but is going to be in more Marvel stuff). Does he just have amazing agents, or did I miss him in something huge?

Lovecraft Country, which wasn't huge, but he was drat good in.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

frogbs posted:

Maybe you missed Loki?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He’s really good in The Harder They Fall though the movie is about 40 minutes too long.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rege-Jean Page is probably the least well known host recently just based on number of credits and crossover interest. Bridgerton was huge but he just hasn’t had as many different projects as other hosts.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i feel like with netflix's content model even their huge megahit shows are ephemeral, which makes that even more true. everyone forgot about bridgerton as soon as there was a New Show You Have to Know About Now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The all time least known host award will always go to Miskel Spillman.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ror posted:

Rege-Jean Page is probably the least well known host recently just based on number of credits and crossover interest. Bridgerton was huge but he just hasn’t had as many different projects as other hosts.

I'm pretty-sure way more of middle America knows who Rege-Jean Page is. Wasn't Bridgerton Netflix's most-watched show up until Squid game? Loki seemed popular, but Jonathan Majors was in what, 2 episodes? And Lovecraft Country was canceled, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lovecraft was meant to be one season. More of a miniseries than a regular series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Jonathan Majors was in Loki, and will be a major villain in the MCU to come: