Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arcaneshow/status/1722721482865074408

November, start the hype train I guess!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can't wait to see a werewolf but animated in Arcane. That poo poo is going to be sick as hell

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's not November 2023! That's not November 2023 at all! :mad:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

november 2024 must be some kind of joke

the season better contain 20+ episodes of 60 minutes each

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Riot didn't greenlight production on the second season until the first was out and successful. Honestly, as long as the quality is the same, two years isn't that long and it hopefully means Riot will have learned their lesson and pre-production work is already underway on S3 and beyond.

VVV Whoops, yeah I'm bad at math. Three years is still reasonable.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 10, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It'll be 3 years in November 2024 since season 1 right? I agree with the point though, 3 years is shorter than I was expecting tbh and I don't really care if they take their time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That is honestly sooner than I was dreading it was gonna be.

Get hype y'all

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

good god, that's so long away

i really wish these streaming sites didn't focus so much on dumping season long batches of episodes at once. i don't think most people would complain if they released one episode even every few weeks at a time

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

good god, that's so long away

i really wish these streaming sites didn't focus so much on dumping season long batches of episodes at once. i don't think most people would complain if they released one episode even every few weeks at a time

Production of serialised shows doesn't work that way. Episodes aren't finished one by one and then just sit on a drive somewhere until the entire season is ready. For animated shows in particular, you want to save the final polish of every episode for the end of production, since otherwise it'd make it very expensive to go back and fix something to account for a change you had to make in another episode.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Slashrat posted:

Production of serialised shows doesn't work that way. Episodes aren't finished one by one and then just sit on a drive somewhere until the entire season is ready. For animated shows in particular, you want to save the final polish of every episode for the end of production, since otherwise it'd make it very expensive to go back and fix something to account for a change you had to make in another episode.

this doesn't seem right. the animation studio has a limited number of resources. and you're telling me all these animators and artists and whatnot are fine tuning every single episode until release?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mr Interweb posted:

this doesn't seem right. the animation studio has a limited number of resources. and you're telling me all these animators and artists and whatnot are fine tuning every single episode until release?

Yes, you do your final pass last on every episode at the same time, so that any changes made before final pass can be applied to everything.

As an example, if you decide very late that a character should have a scar from episode 1 whilst working on episode 8, you want to be able to make that change to every episode between them at the same time.

Rather interestingly, often shows are finished in a different order production wise compared to airdate. Off the top of my head Futurama has some of that, as does Invader Zim. 3D Animation is a little less strict than 2D used to be, as it isn't animated frame by frame but with 3D animation tools and such. But still, you often would be working on 3-5 episodes at a time in a seasonal show and the order they are finished is not necessarily the order they release.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yes, you do your final pass last on every episode at the same time, so that any changes made before final pass can be applied to everything.

As an example, if you decide very late that a character should have a scar from episode 1 whilst working on episode 8, you want to be able to make that change to every episode between them at the same time.

Rather interestingly, often shows are finished in a different order production wise compared to airdate. Off the top of my head Futurama has some of that, as does Invader Zim. 3D Animation is a little less strict than 2D used to be, as it isn't animated frame by frame but with 3D animation tools and such. But still, you often would be working on 3-5 episodes at a time in a seasonal show and the order they are finished is not necessarily the order they release.

what you're saying makes sense, but the only issue i have is that this type of production is a fairly recent thing. prior to streaming, shows WERE released one episode at a time (and still are, on cable and network tv)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Anime does work on an episode to episode week to week production but anime production is famously hellish (with a lot of recent shows falling through because they literally couldn't finish episodes in time and fell behind), so it's not necessarily easier.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

what you're saying makes sense, but the only issue i have is that this type of production is a fairly recent thing. prior to streaming, shows WERE released one episode at a time (and still are, on cable and network tv)

Heavily-serialized TV shows with complex season-spanning narratives also only really started becoming more common shortly before streaming services emerged in the 00's. Before that, if a show had an overarching plot at all rather than just being self-contained episodes that never disrupted the status quo, it was more likely to be kept simple enough that you just needed to hit one or two plot beats in an episode and otherwise didn't have to worry about the details, or the writers were straight up just making it up as they went along.

It's absolutely possible to make a show that way, but you're not going to get a show with Arcane's quality of story-telling out of it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arcaneshow/status/1743301864152879455

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9GeSbz9478

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 5, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Let's fuckin go!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its funny that Season 1 pretty much upended every piece of lore about Piltover/Zaun and the associated champs, but Warwick's original backstory still slots in pretty well (assuming the "Vander is Warwick" theory is true).

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 5, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Warwick big.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

something about seeing singed with a mouth is creepier than anything else in that teaser

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1stGear posted:

Its funny that Season 1 pretty much upended every piece of lore about Piltover/Zaun and the associated champs, but Warwick's original backstory still slots in pretty well (assuming the "Vander is Warwick" theory is true).

Doesn't Warwick have some lines with Vi and Jinx that could arguably be read to imply he raised them? I mean, I don't think they planned it that far in advance, it's just kind of a neat coincidence.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't Warwick have some lines with Vi and Jinx that could arguably be read to imply he raised them? I mean, I don't think they planned it that far in advance, it's just kind of a neat coincidence.

Yup, he has several special interactions with Jinx and Vi. Mainly saying that he wants to forget or "you were there". There's also a line where he asks Vi "who taught you how to punch". Note most every other zaun/piltover champ gets threats and the like except for those two. So while they don't flat out say it in his lines, it implies he knows them and has some painful history with them.

These were also added while Arcane was in production even though it was well before the show actually came out. That and some other hints and easter eggs makes me think it's extremely unlikely that Vander is not WW.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

They literally call him the hound of the underworld in the first season don't they? I think we can call it confirmed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm so excited to see a werewolf animated by the Arcane folks. That seems like a really specific thing, but werewolves are cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how big he is in the teaser.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Singe is the walking war crime dude, right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hey singed why are you pumping this guy full of frankenstein chemtech
"he displayed abnormal resistance to the properties of shimmer... it would be remiss to simply discard such a valuable specimen"
right, gotcha, and why did you make him a werewolf
"seemed cool"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

hey singed why are you pumping this guy full of frankenstein chemtech
"he displayed abnormal resistance to the properties of shimmer... it would be remiss to simply discard such a valuable specimen"
right, gotcha, and why did you make him a werewolf
"seemed cool"

he's right

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Extremely possible spoiler for season 2 fanart.

https://twitter.com/wandakunpls/status/1744043773187752116

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just watched this show for the fourth time. jeez. So good. Episode, I wanna say, 8 was my least favorite because it has the big 'introduce hammer warrior and gauntlets girl" fight scene and my biggest fear with this show is it will just become a way to show how grounded characters became the exaggerated champions from the game. But I also like how they defuse that moment by having the music pumping, Jayce feeling super competent with his hammer lasers, and then suddenly he accidentally shoots a kid and the music cuts out and it all comes back to earth. It almost makes you feel bad for cheering on the cool fight scene prior.

Also both this show and Andor do a good job of showing political machinations in a way that is not boring. I don't think anybody expected a composer with no writing credits under his belt to be able to match up to someone like Tony Gilroy in terms of writing. Though I understand they had other people with more experience helping them out.

Anyway psyched for the next season, maybe I'll watch it a fifth time right before that comes out. Makes me sad that even with all of Disney's money and artistry, they couldn't make their "watercolor" style in Wish look half as good as the painterly style of Arcane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Ccs posted:

I just watched this show for the fourth time. jeez. So good. Episode, I wanna say, 8 was my least favorite because it has the big 'introduce hammer warrior and gauntlets girl" fight scene and my biggest fear with this show is it will just become a way to show how grounded characters became the exaggerated champions from the game. But I also like how they defuse that moment by having the music pumping, Jayce feeling super competent with his hammer lasers, and then suddenly he accidentally shoots a kid and the music cuts out and it all comes back to earth. It almost makes you feel bad for cheering on the cool fight scene prior.

I think it's also just as meaningful a moment when you have Jayce squaring up with Vi over her refusing to give up the gauntlets immediately after, and the whole scene just reeks of the most childish kind of fanservice where it's going to treat them both like action figures to be smashed against each other in the same way that people fantasize about what it would be like if Darth Vader fought Darth Maul... and then just unceremoniously deflates in the perfect way to convey Jayce's mental state in that moment.