Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fletcher posted:

I was interested in trying this out after seeing it discussed recently on reddit but not being able to import an existing directory structure of photos was holding me back. Looks like they are working on it though:

PhotoPrism has been meeting my needs, I've been happy to support them. I just wish the ML was a little better at recognizing things!

Immich: search doesn't work. Well, it does for geo only on the app.

PhotoPrism: No user management at all. You need to run one instancer per person to have any sort of seperation.

NextCloud: Try any plugins you want, face/content detection still sucks, searching geotags is mediocre, the web photo broswer is just awful, and I've been entirely unsuccessful getting any supposedly compatible phone app to brows photos in nextcloud that aren't also stored on the phone.

Immich seems to be the best hope. It's really slick and fast. I hope they prioritize search and image/face rec as features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I’m not a target of a state actor, I’m fine

Yep, this.

I also don't keep my passwords on someone else's computer. And my Plex server is in a DMZ, not on my own desktop or even in the same subnet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

My question was what happens if someone scans port 443 while not coming from "foundry.mywebsite.com," as in directly using my IP address. Do reverse proxies just not resolve those connections at all, since there's no rule defined for that? Or do I have to explicitly block all attempted connections that don't fit one of my defined rules?

Generally they won't do anything. Sometimes there is a default page/site. It depends on the proxy and how you configured it/how your install was configured. This is very much a "read the docs" thing, not a "reverse proxies all do this".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, the pattern “https to the reverse proxy and the http to the service” is largely fine, correct?

Not only fine, very typical.

In datacenter scale installs we used to use reverse proxies that function as SSL offload and load balancing to the servers behind it (The good old days of the F5 BigIP LTM). Now a lot of cloud based load balancers are SSL to nginx with a cert and straight http to the cluster behind it.

This is fine if you control the network behind your load balancer/proxy, obviously. There are (strange) scenarios where that may not be the case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Personally I would just drop the connection without responding

On the scale of self hosting, making a response that says "we're not gonna layer 7 together" after you've already done all the rest you need to make that decision doesn't sound like it really matters.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

How are the self-hosted alternatives to Google Photos doing these days? I've been using it since it came with my Pixel phone but the free unlimited storage has long since expired, and I told myself that once I started getting close to the storage limit I'd finally get off of it and roll my own. The thing I like the most is being able to search "birds" and get all my pictures of birds using whatever ML algorithm they're using. With AI stuff becoming more widespread is that something alternatives are able to do these days? I'll probably be running it on my TrueNAS box.

I'm still using NextCloud and their terrible photo browser on a computer and "Les Pas" on my phone. It's not a great solution.

I haven't tried immich in a while. It's very promising, but very incomplete. It's probably worth a try for you )(and for me to see how far they've gotten since the last time I tried it).

The more mature one is PhotoPrism. Which bafflingly doesn't have any concept of "users". There were also some other annoyances that may have risen to the level of deal killer for me, but I don't recall them. It may very well work for you - we've all got different requirements.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Check out memories for NC, it's quite nice

Wow, thanks! I did almost nothing other than install and index - it's using all the preview generation and face rec I already had. It's so much better than "Photos". How is this not the default photo app in NC?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

There's some other things to set up for handling places (geolocation) and some other things. But it's really solid. Save the bookmark to your desktop and it's basically an app

Yeah, I got the geolocation download thing too when I was indexing. Very painless, everything appears to Just Work(tm).

E: I thought all those previews I'd been processing forever were supposed to make things scroll smoother, but it turns out the Photos app is just permanently broken. So far, that's the biggest upgrade with this Memories app......it scrolls just fine on a timeline like google photos. And has done a fine job of ripping off "1 year ago, 5 years ago" too.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 4, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

NextCloud background upload of photos on iOS is really crap everytime I looked at it. Like it never finished the initial sync from an iPhone. I'd love something that 'just worked' I've taken to just having my wife on a spare Apple Mini that gets iCloud drive photos + time machine to my NAS but it still sucks.

It has had the same issues on android and they always come down to "the OS or app updated and now the background/power saving stuff is messed up AGAIN".

I believe I mentioned this in the automation thread, but the way to fix ALL of this on android is to diable the very broken "doze" mode that has been added in the last year or few. "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" And no, of course it doesn't persist a reboot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

There's some other things to set up for handling places (geolocation) and some other things. But it's really solid. Save the bookmark to your desktop and it's basically an app

Holy crap, there was just a link to an android app in the latest update. It makes everything work just like the native android photos app with google photo uploads. Local and remote media is mixed seamlessly, preview images are cached and fast.

I had completely given up on a nextcloud compatible solution for all of this.

So yeah, anyone looking, especially if you're an android user.......this is pretty good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I'm here to tell you that you will still be left with loads of recommended dependencies, mostly libraries.

True.

The only thing worse than linux package management is the before times when there was no package management and most installs started with "make all".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I don't disagree with this. But what I find astounding is how much worse everything else is.

Exactly this. I'm not saying I'm at all satisfied with nextcloud, but I can't find a reasonable replacement. If anyone has one please do share......

I'm not talking about running a different app for each thing. I'm talking about a single reasonable replacement for common file/photo/doc sharing nonsense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a hands off nextcloud server yet? The Hansson IT guys seem to be purposefully breaking stuff on major releases so you have to use their IT services.

I recently had to upgrade the base OS (well, replace) and reinstall nextcloud because of.....I don't recall...php? Whatever dependence wasn't being satisfied to continue upgrading. I moved the old install which was three major releases behind and went through the upgrade processes like 4 times? I had the same problem I always have: timeout of the webgui during backup. You can wait that out and continue the process and it completed fine every time.

What kinds of stuff is breaking for you or others?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Maybe it's a poor expectation of mine, but I don't think I've ever had a docker pull nextcloud && docker restart nextcloud actually work. To me table stakes for a container is that it handles the janitor work in the background.

So you're using a containerized version. I am not.

Sounds like the release quality of their containers is the problem.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Edit: for sharing your photos with other people afterward I recommend the "Memories" app in Nextcloud rather than the built-in photos app there though.

The new Memories android app "just works" too for photos that are in Nextcloud but not on your phone. Just like google photos did/does.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And all the rest of the expected phone integration features like sharing to MMS contacts and other apps.

I get it if you don't use that, but it's table stakes for most people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Does it have a working (fully functional) web app yet? Or an android client? Those were the deal killers for me the last time I looked at it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm still confused as to what's wrong with the community/free addition of Portainer. It's all quire straightforward, in the standard repos and just works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I feel like you missed the part where I said "without having to run extra services." I wrote this so I could get rid of Prometheus and Grafana, which were taking up significant resources on my Raspberry Pi.

I feel like every one of your posts needs to come with a disclaimer that you're trying to do all of these things on a calculator from 2010 that needs to run on a D cell battery. Because basically every time someone says "why would you do that" it's because you're doing this that hard way for whatever reason, but there's no reason anyone else would or would expect you to be doing it that way unless they follow this thread closely and for a while and are really paying attention to your posts, which.......to be honest are often like "who cares, it's just some person doing things the hard way this is irrelevant to me, someone who just wants to get things working".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The point of my post is that cruft routinely posts these things in a vacuum without the hint of "I did this because I'm doing my super low power thing" and then someone tries to help them or engage in some way with the logical assumption that they're talking about reasonable hardware and surely there is a misunderstanding or some reason why one would do things that way. It's happened multiple times in the plex thread as well. Zero context posting about something that only someone trying to run it on a pi would have.

It's happened enough that it's hard to believe the lack of context is accidental.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, or was being obtuse. But if I spun up this Ubuntu box to be a dedicated Plex server, any reason for me to use Docker instead of just installing the app that the default Ubuntu install recommends? Just realized that I may be vastly overcomplicating my life here with all this portainer/etc. business. What am I missing that Docker brings in this scenario, provided I'm backing up my Plex settings/data to my NAS?

In my opinion you are. The ubuntu repos are absolutely fine for up to date plex and require no extra and weird 3rd party repos.

Kibner posted:

Not worrying about dependencies breaking from updates.

Plex requires no weird 3rd party repos to "upgrade" things that don't already exist in the very latest LTS version of Ubuntu so it's exceptionally unlikely for this to happen. I've run plex on 20.04 for many years until updating to 22.04 a couple years ago and have never had any issues like that.

Running on old CentOS builds and trying to run the *arrs with sketch 3rd party repos to put a version of mono the wasn't made for that release of the OS? Yes, this is a recipe for pain. One I've learned the hard way multiple times, to the point of snapshotting VMs before any upgrades just in case it blows up. But that's a very different thing than what's being asked. And in fact, the latest LTS of Ubntu satisfies all of the arr dependencies as well, so that's no longer an issue either.

Want to play with snaps? There's where you're gonna have pain.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 17, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Many will disagree due to vendor lock-in and cost, but I went with UniFi and have absolutely loved their solution.

What vendor lock in? I have their APs only and run the controller on a VM of my ESXi box. They're great and the price is right for enterprisy-ish stuff for SOHO. No issues with multiple SSIDs on multiple VLANs, handoff between APs, etc. It all just works seamlessly with the rest of the definitely not Ubiquiti switches and router.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I'm sorry, I maybe need to re-read the original message. I thought it was regarding NVR and camera solutions. I was speaking about the UniFi branded cameras specifically, none of the networking stuff.

Oh, you're right....I lost context switching between threads. In any case, their cameras work with anything as well (they can do an RTSP stream). And I believe their NVR can record RTSP streams, making it so any generic camera should work too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Separately, I'm having an issue with updating dockers on my NUC running Ubuntu that only hosts portainer and Plex. Got everything working perfect but when I stop Plex to update the container or make any other changes I get an Error 500 and cannot restart it. Rebooting the server it fires right back up so it's as if something with the port assignments or something are conflicting. I'm about to set up watchtower for auto updates but want to get it working manually before automating it. Google not really helping here.

Every time I've gotten a 500 from Portainer it was because the entrypoint. Duplicate/Edit, delete enterypoint field, deploy. May not be what you're running into, but it's probably worth a try.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

THF13 posted:

You don't need to keep the controller running, once it's setup you can turn it off and the wifi will continue to work fully functional.

"Fully" meaning full if you don't use a guest network or expect advanced/assisted handoff between APs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

NextCloud is probably the best candidate

This is the saddest true statement I've read in a while.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

flappin fish posted:

Other people in this thread have talked about using PhotoPrism and NextCloud

I was one of the people unhappy with NextCloud because the built in photo browser is trash and there is no meaningful mobile client. Someone, I believe here, told me the fix: Memories (https://github.com/pulsejet/memories). This completely fixed my browsing issues. It's not as good on mobile as I'd like (does not disply local images) but it's adequate. I'm using the Recognize NextCloud plugin for facial and object recognition. It too can be described as "adequate".

In the end, it's good enough that I'm no longer actively looking for a different solution.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's the free VMWare tier of port forwarding and DDYNS. Which means it will be ripped away at some inconvenient-for-you point. If your stuff is low value cool. I just have paid DYN for the last 20+ years and am waiting for oracle to ruin it. But I can easily scropt the same thing into any number of other DNS providers including where I actually host my domains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

LOL you guys have me waffling back and forth here.

Alright, I'll sign up for Cloudflare free option and see how far I can truck along with it.

All that matters is you are vaguley aware of the plusses and minuses. You're not gonna got wrong starting out this way. Or any other reasonable way. You're just getting a lot of opinions from a thread that is bound to have opinoins.