Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Introduction
  • What is self hosting?
    Self hosting basically means being in control of the systems that host your data as opposed to 3rd party providers.
  • Why self host?
    • You don't want to deal with migrating your data when google decides to kill and/or monetize another service
    • You don't trust 3rd parties with your data
    • You are still a believer in a free and open internet
    • You want something that 3rd parties don't offer
    • You have a bad internet connection and the cloud is too slow on your home network
    • You think that you can somehow do a better job than multi billion dollar companies and love the idea of being a computer janitor
  • What can of stuff can I self host?
    If you can think of it, somebody has probably tried implementing it with varying degrees of success:
    • Social media platform with less or more nazis.
    • Photo organization
    • Video streaming
    • File sync
    • Multiplayer spreadsheets Document collaboration
    • Cookbook
    • Home automation (thread)
  • Does self hosting mean a more fractured internet?
    It can, but it doesn't have to. Many things you can self host are stand alone instances that don't talk to others, but some services can talk to each other just like email. Files can be shared across servers. There is an entire federation of social networks.
  • What do I need to get started?
    At the very least, you need a computer with a network connection. Some sort of linux that can run docker will probably be your best choice for starting out. You can self host on all sorts of stuff:
    • a NAS that is holding 18tb of train videos that you have personally recorded (thread)
    • RaspberryPi (thread)
    • A homelab consisting of servers that fell off of a loading dock with fans screaming at 96dBA. (thread)
    • a fanless mini-pc
    • a cloud host
  • I got this great thing running, now I want to access it from the internet
    :frogsiren:HOLD UP BEFORE YOU START FORWARDING PORTS!:frogsiren:
    Network security goes way beyond the scope of this, but only trusted secure services should be accessible from the internet. Things you plan use privately should generally be kept behind a vpn. Things you intend to have accessible from the internet generally should be behind a reverse proxy that handles https encryption. If you know how to set that up, great! If not, there is a docker image called SWAG that can help by packaging an nginx server that automatically generates and renews ssl certificates.

Cool stuff to host:
You can find a great list of stuff here. It can be overwhelming to go through that full list, so here are a list of stuff I and fellow goons have had good experience with:
  • Media Streaming
    • PLEX (thread)
      This is essentially netflix for your own media and has become the standard that all other self hosted streaming is compared to. It is easy to use and you can share your library with friends. It is not a free open source project and some people speculate that most of the recent development has been to build a platform that can be more readily monetized vs working on things the current users actually want.
    • Jellyfin
      Jellyfin seems to be a good open source alternative to PLEX. It was forked from Emby when it went closed source. The web player seems good, but app support might not be as great.
    • Overseerr

Gay Retard posted:

Mobile-friendly Plex requesting service. 90% of the time I don't even touch Radarr or Sonnar anymore because its so fast at adding requests.
    • Requestrr

Gay Retard posted:

A Discord bot that lets users type "/request ______" to make requests for Plex media.
  • File Syncronization
    • Syncthing
      Syncthing is a cool bit of software. I think of it as more of a peer to peer based cloud sync. You choose what folders you want to share with which computers. They will track changes and keep each other up to date. You can do two-way, upload only, or download only sync. Each computer can choose it's own settings about retaining file versions. This does not support virtual files, so it is not a great option for large amounts of data with small drives.

VelociBacon posted:

I wanted to mention that if you're not familiar with this stuff and it seems too complex, I used syncthing to archive/backup photos and videos from my phone onto my server, it was very easy to do.
    • Nextcloud
      Nextcloud functionally is a great self hosted replacement for DropBox. The sync desktop client works as expected and supports virtual files, so you don't have to download everything from the server. It has good file sharing functionality with permissions for public web links, password protection, sharing with specific users or groups, and even sharing with users from other nextcloud servers. There is a lot more to next cloud than just file sync that could have it's own entire post. It has apps that feel like they have the potential to make nextcloud a replacement to google docs or microsoft 365, but right now it falls a little short. The photo management app chokes with more than a few hundred images. You can use collaborative file editing, but it lacks the access permission option for comment & suggest changes only. Despite these shortcomings, the cookbook app is A+ and makes the entire install worth it.
  • Document Collaboration
    • Collabora Online
      LibreOffice in your web browser with simultaneous document editing. It needs to be integrated with another application like nextcloud that handles the files and permissions. It does all the processing on the server, so don't expect to serve several simultaneous users with a RaspberyPi.
    • Onlyoffice
      Only office is another document editor suite that does collaborative editing and comments. Like collabora, it integrates with nextcloud (and more), but this does most of the heavy lifting on the client side instead of on the server.
  • Photos
    • PhotoPrism
      Photoprism is for organizing your photos. It has facial recognition, auto tagging and a map browser. Right now it only supports a single user and albums are shared with secret links that can be set to expire. I would be excited if there was a way to integrate this with nextcloud for the photo library storage and sharing.
  • Utilities
    • Pi-Hole
      DNS based ad blocking.
    • Adguard Home

Gay Retard posted:

I recently switched from PiHole to Adguard, and found the overall process a little less cumbersome - mainly the fact that you don't have manually add Block Lists. I've had a lot less issues with random URL forwarders not working as well.
    • Uptime Kuma

Gay Retard posted:

An uptime monitoring dashboard for all of your self hosted web applications.
    • nginx Proxy Manager

Gay Retard posted:

Easy reverse proxy tunneling with your own custom domain
    • Vaultwarden

bobfather posted:

Vaultwarden is an excellent password manager that is about as feature-rich as 1Password but is open source and free. It is based on Bitwarden, who offer free apps for iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS, and browser extensions for all major browsers.
  • Homepage/Web App Portal
What's missing?
Do you have any suggestions for things that I missed or alternatives that might be better?
Maybe something to save people from a screen full of docker?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Somebody who can't shut the gently caress up about BSD posted:

That being said, there's still a benefit to not using the turn-key solutions, which is that they're automatically a much larger target, as these kinds of web-facing software stacks are typically what's being explored by the people who're interested in taking over infrastructure and using it for their own - whether it be to mine crypto (relatively benign, even if not good), send spam (a problem if you ever want to host a mail server, mostly - because of blacklists), host all sorts of bad things (anything from virus to the sort of things that can land you in jail), or any combination thereof.
Which is not to say that it can't also be used by spearphishers or targeted attacks, but that's true for anything.

So at the very least I hope that the people who're reading the thread also make sure that they know how to keep something up-to-date, and ensure that it is kept up-to-date. My experience tells me it's not something one should always take for granted.
Maybe it's even something that can be mentioned in the OP?
Okay, Let's talk about security:
Once you start opening up services for access from the internet, you can no longer bury your head in the sand and assume you are not a target. Everything accessible from the internet will get probed for vulnerabilities. Sometimes it will be something as simple as brute forcing passwords against many of these services that don't have any sort of fail2ban implementation. Other times it will be exploits targeting your specific software or common libraries. Hell, it could even be something like an image file upload allowing remote code execution.

You can mitigate, but not eliminate these threats. This is the bare minimum of what you should be aware of and do:
First you should limit the targets. Do you really need to have sonarr accessible from the web? Even not counting potential undocumented exploits, you are exposing a service that has the ability to delete your media library.
Second, isolate services to only have access to the resources they need. This is where virtualization and containerization is your friend. If you get pwned, you want to limit the damage that can be done. I can't personally speak on much more than data isolation, but network firewalling between services that don't depend on each is a worthwhile consideration that I hope somebody can educate us about. Actual VMs do offer more isolation than containers, but there is the extra overhead of an OS for each vm:

Third, harden your system by keeping everything up to date with security updates.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 17, 2021

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

This Awesome-Selfhosted github has a huge list of free, mostly opensource, software that you can host for a huge range of services.

CopperHound posted:

Photoprism is for organizing your photos. It has facial recognition, auto tagging and a map browser. Right now it only supports a single user and albums are shared with secret links that can be set to expire. I would be excited if there was a way to integrate this with nextcloud for the photo library storage and sharing.

You can set up PhotoPrism to sync new pictures from a WebDAV server like Nextcloud so you can sync your phone to Nextcloud and PhotoPrism will automatically fetch or backup new images to it.

I've tried 3 other photo hosts so far and PhotoPrism has been the best overall for features. I'm going to try damselfly sometime this week, it looks a little more poweruser in the interface, but supports multiple users, facial recognition and more.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a Nextcloud setup that I basically use just for sharing files with family members, but that Cookbook app you linked to is amazing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm addicted to self hosting services - I have my own Discord server setup with notifications for Sonarr/Radarr/Plex, my own Plex requests website with auto download for my close friends, and I try and make my services as accessible from my mobile device. I typically download most of my services using Docker in Unraid.

It might be worth putting Adguard Home on your list - I recently switched from PiHole to Adguard, and found the overall process a little less cumbersome - mainly the fact that you don't have manually add Block Lists. I've had a lot less issues with random URL forwarders not working as well.

I also really enjoy...

Overseerr - Mobile-friendly Plex requesting service. 90% of the time I don't even touch Radarr or Sonnar anymore because its so fast at adding requests.
Requestrr - A Discord bot that lets users type "/request ______" to make requests for Plex media.
Heimdall - An easy to setup dashboard for all of your self hosted web applications.
Uptime Kuma - An uptime monitoring dashboard for all of your self hosted web applications.
nginx Proxy Manager - Easy reverse proxy tunneling with your own custom domain

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 15, 2021

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There's dedicated recipe apps that are probably better, but I do like just having it built into my Nextcloud. I just wish the mobile UI was better, or if it could sync to an app like Paprika.

Hadn't considered using PhotoPrism on top of NC via webdav. Might have to try it. Right now I just use darktable on the desktop to edit and organize and just sync that folder to my Nextcloud, but it's clunky when I want to search later on other devices.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I would be content if we could just get a timeline scroll in nextcloud. The infinite scroll as implemented just isn't usable.

Gay Retard posted:

Overseerr - Mobile-friendly Plex requesting service. 90% of the time I don't even touch Radarr or Sonnar anymore because its so fast at adding requests.
I'll take a look at this one. I tried out Ombi, but it only sort of functioned. Sometimes.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 15, 2021

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just set up an rpi with minidlna because I got fed up with spotify. Omg so much better. It's Instant. And bubbleupnp is a great remote control app.

I tried plex in the past. Overwrought imho. One billion features and none of them work. Or has it gotten better?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Karate Bastard posted:

I just set up an rpi with minidlna because I got fed up with spotify. Omg so much better. It's Instant. And bubbleupnp is a great remote control app.

I tried plex in the past. Overwrought imho. One billion features and none of them work. Or has it gotten better?

Can't speak to Plex as I picked Emby back when it more FOSS and they had cheap lifetime licenses. But if you're satisfied with a simple DLNA server there's nothing wrong with that. The main reason to set up a full blown solution like Plex/Jellyfin/Emby is to serve many different clients inside/outside the home. That said, I don't think it's THAT much work to set up as long as your files are organized (in one of the ways the server expects).

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I also run a nextcloud. It's great, so long as you don't use any of the features or apps, because they don't really work, and especially not together (like "encryption" + "group folders") and hit me up if you wanna bet on what "featured apps" are still supported in the next major, or if feature breakage is going to be introduced in the next minor. I was hoping I could use it for photo management, but as was said it doesn't really work for that.

I am very much still in the market for a photo management solution if anyone has a recommendation. I tried photoprism when that was new, but I seem to recall not quite being able to get it to do what I wanted. Maybe it was the single user thing that turned me off it, can't recall precisely...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

One billion features and none of them work. Or has it gotten better?
The core function of playing mainstream movies and shows is very usable. If you deviate from that the customization is poorly documented or non existent.
The player is still bad if you are using anything other than a 16:9 screen. The client defaults to 2mbit remote playback, so non technical friends will be forcing your server to transcode your blueray rip down to 480p to play on their 4k screen.
Despite all my complaints, PLEX just works without me janitoring it.

I am curious to learn more about music streaming alternatives. I feel like YTMusic and Spotify always steer me to the same 20 or so songs despite having the world of music available. Does your music streaming set up play nicely with carplay or Android auto apps?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My setup is megastupid :) it's just dlna in my home. I put poo poo on the rpi and then -and here is the kicker- I can play it! When I want to! Doesn't matter what spotify jerk had what disagreement with what music producer asshat that week. My transaction is done, my media's on my media, on my network, which works, so suck it!

The other main reason I did this is so I can bring my music collection with me in my pocket and play it with ease in places of bad internet, where the neighbors are sucking netflix all through the same straw. Drinking my milkshake, as it were.

Oh, and dlna makes it so others can play it too, on the wifi speaker. If it weren't for that little nice-to-have I suppose I could have just put it all on my laptop or whatever.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 15, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've been using this git as a starting point for a bunch of docker compose files.

https://github.com/abhilesh/self-hosted_docker_setups

My most used applications are probably:
Wirehole (combo pihole, wireguard, and unbound)
https://github.com/IAmStoxe/wirehole

Transmission VPN - I setup any of my media grabbing apps in a stack with this which opens a vpn tunnel to my vpn of choice. Useful also since I'm on Verizon and they blocked Mangadex, so I setup foxyproxy to direct certain sites through the transmission proxy that goes through the VPN.
https://github.com/haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn

I also setup Joplin and Quillnote as notes apps on my phone/computer and had them sync to Nextcloud so they can work like a Google keep and general notetaking app that syncs in the cloud. No need for a separate docker instance provided you have a nextcloud webdav you can point them to.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

CopperHound posted:

I am curious to learn more about music streaming alternatives. I feel like YTMusic and Spotify always steer me to the same 20 or so songs despite having the world of music available. Does your music streaming set up play nicely with carplay or Android auto apps?

How about Subsonic? No idea about carplay/android auto, but it has (lots) of regular android apps.
http://www.subsonic.org

-edit--
Supposedly DSub works with AA.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&hl=en_GB&gl=US

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 15, 2021

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I just got pi-hole working on my server so I'm able to ditch the install I had on a pi3 finally. I've got a few things hosted on it right now.
  • Nextcloud - File syncing, Joplin notes, Contacts and Calendar syncing
  • PhotoPrism - Sync photos from my phone automatically with the PhotoSync app
  • Jupyter-Notebook - Anaconda install for programming poo poo
  • Overleaf- Collaborative LaTex document editing
  • I, Librarian - PDF document management system, supports annotating and creates .bib files for easy citing - very similal to Mendeley but doesn't have loving Elsevier behind them
  • Plex - Use it 95% for streaming music to my phone.
  • Gitlab - Classmate needed it for our group project
  • damselfly - Trying this out at the moment. It's murdering my server right now indexing the library I have on PhotoPrism. Been going for hours now doing object recognition I think. It also can link with Azure for facial recognition that I'll try out, need to see if I can sync my phone directly to it though before I decide to switch.
  • Portainer - Web interface to manage my Docker containers that everything is running in.
  • træfik - Reverse proxy for tunneling to domain like nginx

Adolf Glitter posted:

How about Subsonic? No idea about carplay/android auto, but it has (lots) of regular android apps.

To add to that, the Nextcloud Music app hosts a Subsonic/Ampache server. I used it for a few days but didn't like having to dump my whole collection into Nextcloud for it or any of the fdroid apps for streaming. I ended up switching to Plex for steaming to my phone now, the Plexamp app that they have is really good, and you can do transcodes just like with video. I transcode down to 128 cause bluetooth earbuds don't care.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Adolf Glitter posted:

http://www.subsonic.org

-edit--
Supposedly DSub works with AA.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&hl=en_GB&gl=US

I've been happily using Subsonic for like a decade, along with the dSub app for Android. I actually had a long drive yesterday where realized dSub had support for Android Auto. It didn't work very well though, selecting "Starred" for example (to show my starred tracks) just spun indefinitely.

I do like Subsonic & dSub but I'd be curious to try something else, just since I've been using this setup for so long. The original maintainer doesn't seem to be pushing updates anymore. I saw it was forked to Airsonic, haven't checked that out though since Subsonic works fine for me and I've had a lifetime license for it for ages.

The main things I like about dSub are automatically caching starred tracks and playlists when I'm on wifi, so stuff I flag from my computer ends up on the phone. Ability to permanently cache certain albums is nice as well.

I organize my music into "Artist - Album" folders rather than "Artist/Album" so I don't really have a way to browse by artist in Subsonic, which is kind of annoying.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There's a couple of versions of this that all seem to work the same, but a self-hosted speedtest has helped me figure out a few issues with other self hosted services. https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/librespeed/. Very simple to setup.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Gay Retard posted:

I also really enjoy...

Heimdall - An easy to setup dashboard for all of your self hosted web applications.

I switched to using HOMER after finding Heimdall a little fiddly for my liking. It's basically bookmarks still, but it's nice to keep these in a pinned tab:

fletcher posted:

I've been happily using Subsonic for like a decade, along with the dSub app for Android. I actually had a long drive yesterday where realized dSub had support for Android Auto. It didn't work very well though, selecting "Starred" for example (to show my starred tracks) just spun indefinitely.

I do like Subsonic & dSub but I'd be curious to try something else, just since I've been using this setup for so long. The original maintainer doesn't seem to be pushing updates anymore. I saw it was forked to Airsonic, haven't checked that out though since Subsonic works fine for me and I've had a lifetime license for it for ages.

I looked into this back when Google Play Music was on its way to the Google Graveyard! I can't speak for Subsonic, but its open-source fork Airsonic has stagnated lately, having received its last update in May 2020; in fact Airsonic has been marked as 'deprecated' on its GitHub for a few months now. It still works, of course, point it at your /music and it'll work just fine, but it's getting elderly. There's a few tentative replacements floating around:
  • Airsonic-advanced is Airsonic but, well, more Advanced - more efficient, more HTML5, less Java.
  • Navidrome uses the Airsonic API - so you can still point dSub at it and it'll work - but it works on metadata, rather than the /music/artist/album directory structure, so depending on how neat your tags are it may be some work. The webapp is pretty though.
I'm still using Airsonic these days, but Navidrome is a veeerrrrry close #2; it's still under active development and still has a few rough edges (getting confused if you queue up a playlist, then try adding another song to 'play next' in the webapp, for example).

Karate Bastard posted:

My setup is megastupid :) it's just dlna in my home. I put poo poo on the rpi and then -and here is the kicker- I can play it! When I want to! Doesn't matter what spotify jerk had what disagreement with what music producer asshat that week. My transaction is done, my media's on my media, on my network, which works, so suck it!

It sounds silly but, I don't bother with 'streaming outside the home' - my feeble caveman brain just gives up on certs and A records and DDNS, and goes off to roast a pig on a spit instead - but Jellyfin still works just fine as a nice metadata wrapper for the stuff that lives on my NAS. Saves burrowing around in directory structures, and it sort of replaces that 'vacantly staring at the back of a DVD box' feeling.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So I've been wanting to replace google photos since they're complaining about my storage usage. I have a nas I should be able to use for storage that I can put as many drat photos as I want on it.

For a server head I have an intel atom z8350 1.44ghz with 4 gigs of ram. It already has windows 10 on it and it shits itself over RDP, doing anything, and trying to install docker.

Should I fart linux that can run docker at it or should I just buy something with more nut. I want to set it and forget it kind of thing and while a sysology nas with the photo thingy would work I want something with features that more closely align with google photos.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

So I've been wanting to replace google photos since they're complaining about my storage usage.
For a server head I have an intel atom z8350 1.44ghz with 4 gigs of ram. It already has windows 10 on it and it shits itself over RDP, doing anything, and trying to install docker.
You should be able to use that system to run photoprism. Test it out with a small library of a few hundred photos so you can see if you like it.

It front loads the big processing when it makes thumbnails and indexes with tenserflow, so you might be waiting several hours/days when you dump your full library into it. It should run fine once all that is done.

E: If you want to get several things running at once, it might be worth looking into the home lab hardware. Right now I'm doing everything on my unraid system and I have brought the system to a near standstill a few times running out of memory with 20 Docker containers doing stuff all at once.

Do any of you folx have experience with tools to help with organizing containers running on multiple pieces of hardware?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 16, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For some reason I thought photoprism had a quick and easy timeline to scroll through. Am I mixing it up with the very much unfinished librephotos?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FireTora posted:

This Awesome-Selfhosted github has a huge list of free, mostly opensource, software that you can host for a huge range of services.

You can set up PhotoPrism to sync new pictures from a WebDAV server like Nextcloud so you can sync your phone to Nextcloud and PhotoPrism will automatically fetch or backup new images to it.

I've tried 3 other photo hosts so far and PhotoPrism has been the best overall for features. I'm going to try damselfly sometime this week, it looks a little more poweruser in the interface, but supports multiple users, facial recognition and more.

Came here to post awesome-selfhosted, worth checking out.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Do any of you folx have experience with tools to help with organizing containers running on multiple pieces of hardware?
I haven't but Kubernetes is made for it, and it looks like Portainer is just as easily set up to connect to additional nodes for GUI management of containers.

CopperHound posted:

For some reason I thought photoprism had a quick and easy timeline to scroll through. Am I mixing it up with the very much unfinished librephotos?

Yeah, if you browse Folders, it's sorted by date but no smooth timeline.

I liked Lychee, it was by far the fastest of the ones I've tried, but the thumbnails wouldn't load in my map for some reason.
Messed around with damselfly a bit more, gonna hold off on it and see if it gets more features. I really like the map that PhotoPrism and stuff have, it doesn't have GPS stuff yet. The object detection is better than in PhotoPrism, but it's very intensive. I've only got ~5k photos that I was testing it with and it took like 6+ hours for initial loading since it does all the AI tagging for objects + faces. The Azure FACE integration works really good too, but you can't delete bad tags that are generated yet as far as I could find.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does photoprism let you share a photo with people as a link? I see in their demo environment it can act as a webdav server which you can connect to with other file browsers, but like what if I just want to send a family member an album with a few photos in it?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does photoprism let you share a photo with people as a link?

This is from an install I haven't set up with nginx yet, but I imagine that localhost should get replaced by whatever your public address is.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

spincube posted:

I switched to using HOMER after finding Heimdall a little fiddly for my liking. It's basically bookmarks still, but it's nice to keep these in a pinned tab:

I looked into this back when Google Play Music was on its way to the Google Graveyard! I can't speak for Subsonic, but its open-source fork Airsonic has stagnated lately, having received its last update in May 2020; in fact Airsonic has been marked as 'deprecated' on its GitHub for a few months now. It still works, of course, point it at your /music and it'll work just fine, but it's getting elderly. There's a few tentative replacements floating around:
  • Airsonic-advanced is Airsonic but, well, more Advanced - more efficient, more HTML5, less Java.
  • Navidrome uses the Airsonic API - so you can still point dSub at it and it'll work - but it works on metadata, rather than the /music/artist/album directory structure, so depending on how neat your tags are it may be some work. The webapp is pretty though.
I'm still using Airsonic these days, but Navidrome is a veeerrrrry close #2; it's still under active development and still has a few rough edges (getting confused if you queue up a playlist, then try adding another song to 'play next' in the webapp, for example).

Thanks for mentioning Navidrome! It looks really nice. Very subsonic-y but with the ability to work on metadata. I recently went through my collection and fixed all the tags with MusicBrainz so hopefully I'm in good shape. Definitely going to check this out!

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

CopperHound posted:

This is from an install I haven't set up with nginx yet, but I imagine that localhost should get replaced by whatever your public address is.

Yup, works with a domain for albums. If you want to share just one photo then copying the link to the image has the api access baked into the URL so it van be viewed without logging in.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Vaultwarden is an excellent password manager that is about as feature-rich as 1Password but is open source and free. It is based on Bitwarden, who offer free apps for iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS, and browser extensions for all major browsers.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Does anyone have experience with k3sup? I've got a couple of pis lying around doing nothing. I've tried 2 or 3 times over the last couple of months to get it working but always get stuck at
code:
[INFO]  systemd: Starting k3s
Job for k3s.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status k3s.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Error: error received processing command: Process exited with status 1
when trying to do the install then I get pissed off and go drink
e: apparently this is a raspbian default, why does no one tell you in any tutorial that you have to gently caress with this
code:
[INFO]  Failed to find memory cgroup, you may need to add "cgroup_memory=1 cgroup_enable=memory" to your linux cmdline (/boot/cmdline.txt on a Raspberry Pi)

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 17, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Since we're still on the first page of this and someone like me might just read down a bit, I wanted to mention that if you're not familiar with this stuff and it seems too complex, I used syncthing to archive/backup photos and videos from my phone onto my server, it was very easy to do.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Since we're still on the first page of this and someone like me might just read down a bit, I wanted to mention that if you're not familiar with this stuff and it seems too complex, I used syncthing to archive/backup photos and videos from my phone onto my server, it was very easy to do.
Yeah, the barrier to entry is definitely lower than it was a decade ago.

You could still do all these things then, but you had to have the right eldrich clothing and make appropriate blood sacrifices - or as it's commonly called, be a server admin - whereas now a lot of it is a lot easier, not least because of things like LetsEncrypt without which most of these things would be a lot more up-hill.

That being said, there's still a benefit to not using the turn-key solutions, which is that they're automatically a much larger target, as these kinds of web-facing software stacks are typically what's being explored by the people who're interested in taking over infrastructure and using it for their own - whether it be to mine crypto (relatively benign, even if not good), send spam (a problem if you ever want to host a mail server, mostly - because of blacklists), host all sorts of bad things (anything from virus to the sort of things that can land you in jail), or any combination thereof.
Which is not to say that it can't also be used by spearphishers or targeted attacks, but that's true for anything.

So at the very least I hope that the people who're reading the thread also make sure that they know how to keep something up-to-date, and ensure that it is kept up-to-date. My experience tells me it's not something one should always take for granted.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
This thread got me to switch from Ombi to Overseerr for my Plex requests front end, good stuff.

Probably worth including HomeAssistant in the OP (Home Automation Thread) since one of it's biggest features is the ability to self-host your home automation.

I can also add Muximux as another Heimdall/HOMER dashboard app. Nothing fancy but it's easy to set up and use.

I'll add my newbie endorsement of nginxProxyManager. I tried getting Traefik/LetsEncrypt set up as a reverse proxy when I was first getting into my home server stuff and was constantly banging my head against the wall trying to get the config files set up right and really just struggling with the concept of a reverse proxy in general. Ended up just port forwarding a lot of stuff since I knew how to do that already. Then I tried NPM and it made way more sense and allowed me as a beginner to actually get my networking set up the "right" way. That was a couple years ago so Traefik and LetsEncrypt might be much improved now but I can definitely speak to NPMs user friendly-ness.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 17, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'll add my newbie endorsement of nginxProxyManager. I tried getting Traefik/LetsEncrypt set up as a reverse proxy when I was first getting into my home server stuff and was constantly banging my head against the wall trying to get the config files set up right and really just struggling with the concept of a reverse proxy in general. Ended up just port forwarding a lot of stuff since I knew how to do that already. Then I tried NPM and it made way more sense and allowed me as a beginner to actually get my networking set up the "right" way. That was a couple years ago so Traefik and LetsEncrypt might be much improved now but I can definitely speak to NPMs user friendly-ness.

I ran into some issues years ago getting Lets Encrypt + DuckDNS setup for proper reverse proxy https forwarding and never bothered trying again, but I thought nginx proxy was pretty simple once I forwarded my domain's DNS to cloudflare and set all my DNS up in there, as well as SSL/TLS certs. It's free.

I mostly followed this guide, but there are a few different guides on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Y6M8CdcQ0

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Okay, I added something of a don't be stupid list of a minimum to do.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you do that, you might as well mention self-hosting Wireguard as being the easiest way to VPN in to access services that should not be exposed to the internet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for dropping Overseerr here. I added it today and it loving rules.

Edit: I just wish it worked like JustWatch or something and it could tell a user if a movie is hosted on a streaming service before they make the request.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 18, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

tuyop posted:

Thanks for dropping Overseerr here. I added it today and it loving rules.

Edit: I just wish it worked like JustWatch or something and it could tell a user if a movie is hosted on a streaming service before they make the request.

It does! It's near the bottom of the table here.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Scruff McGruff posted:

It does! It's near the bottom of the table here.

Well that rules, I guess the region settings inform that, eh?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bobfather posted:

If you do that, you might as well mention self-hosting Wireguard as being the easiest way to VPN in to access services that should not be exposed to the internet.
To add to this, algo makes it easy to setup IPsec if you'd like to be able to simply send someone a profile or QR code that they can import on their Android or iOS phone, Windows PC/laptop, Macbook, or something that someone non-technical might use, who shouldn't have to install a third-party software and configure it, just to use a VPN.

EDIT: Welp, algo apparently supports wireguard too now. :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Overseerr also led me to LunaSea which is basically a mobile app version of HOMER/Muximux that supports the *arr apps, Tautulli, and NZB. Pretty nice.